Roosh V Forum
$500K For 5 Years - Need %5/annum - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: $500K For 5 Years - Need %5/annum (/thread-44003.html)

Pages: 1 2

$500K For 5 Years - Need %5/annum - Justinian - 01-07-2015

Reaching out for input from any investment gurus - this will be crucial to my Freedom 55 plan - In 18 months I will take early retirement and liquidate assets and have 500,000 which I will need to invest to make a minimum %5/year for 5 years.

So what would you do if you were me? I'm thinking I would break it into 3-5 tranches and stagger risk, something like 200K in a mix of dividend paying blue chips that pay the %5, a second 200K in conservative blue chips that could be expected to grow %20-25 (total) over the 5 years, then go more risky with the last 100K and buy a basket of Google, Apple, Intel etc. 21st century economy stuff, stalking each one to get in on dips at the bottom of trading ranges when they periodically come off (like Google is doing right now).

If I can turn this into at least 625K after 5 years I will have succeeded. This is just one pillar of the strategy but it's crucial and I can't lose money. On balance, preservation and getting the %5 is quite a bit more important than trying to hit homers.

Unfortunately this is CAD so buying US stocks will be almost %20 more expensive right now and if USD drops against CAD while I'm in U.S. stocks that would be a stiff headwind. Nevertheless, U.S markets have so much more to offer than Canada, a great part of this will have to go to U.S. stocks.

Any names of stocks? I heard about Oak Tree Capital that pays %4-5 div and run by top notch management, for example.

All ideas welcome, thanks in advance to those generous guys that take the time to provide anything.

$500K For 5 Years - Need %5/annum - DumbfromBirth - 01-07-2015

Look up current rates on eTB's (Treasury Bills). You should be able to get 5% and T-bills are considered pretty much risk free. You could also consider investing the money in a different currency for e.g. US, AUD or YEN if you think the currency will appreciate. But that would be more of a 6-12 month plan and could gain maybe 10points over this time with the right investment.

Generally the higher your return the more risk you need to take and at retirement you want investments with the lowest risk possible. Diversify your investment into different areas and leverage your portfolio on the safer side.

$500K For 5 Years - Need %5/annum - Home Depot - 01-08-2015

Maybe i am missing something.

But i hate these kind of threads.

How can you generate $500K and not know the answers to these questions you are asking people? Or not know how to go about researching them yourself?

It is safe to assume that over 97% of forum members do not have asset near $500K liquid. So, why are you asking advice about an area you are more experienced/qualified than 97% of forum members? It is one thing to ask game advice, it is another to ask how to invest liquid $500K(something that 97% of the forum has never done before).

Besides, if you do an archive search, you will find Westcoast's thread and advice.

I think these threads are boasting threads. Designed to make people kiss the OP's ass.

I am not impressed.

In a way, you reminded me of this clown: http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-34309-...#pid684341

good luck

$500K For 5 Years - Need %5/annum - Peregrine - 01-08-2015

Quote: (01-07-2015 11:40 PM)DumbfromBirth Wrote:  

Look up current rates on eTB's (Treasury Bills). You should be able to get 5% and T-bills are considered pretty much risk free. You could also consider investing the money in a different currency for e.g. US, AUD or YEN if you think the currency will appreciate. But that would be more of a 6-12 month plan and could gain maybe 10points over this time with the right investment.

Generally the higher your return the more risk you need to take and at retirement you want investments with the lowest risk possible. Diversify your investment into different areas and leverage your portfolio on the safer side.

Thanks to the Fed, no T bills yield 5%. The 10 yr just dropped below 2% yesterday.

If you cannot risk taking any losses (even paper ones), I'm afraid you'll have to go with gov't bonds or GICs for piss poor return. Ask yourself this: where would your Freedom 55 plan be if 2015 - 2019 winds up being a repeat of 2005 - 2009 or 1927 - 1931 (or insert your favorite crash here)?

$500K For 5 Years - Need %5/annum - Dusty - 01-08-2015

Look at REITs and MLPs too. They pay good divys.

$500K For 5 Years - Need %5/annum - Simeon_Strangelight - 01-08-2015

Quote: (01-07-2015 10:26 PM)Justinian Wrote:  

Reaching out for input from any investment gurus - this will be crucial to my Freedom 55 plan - In 18 months I will take early retirement and liquidate assets and have 500,000 which I will need to invest to make a minimum %5/year for 5 years.

So what would you do if you were me? I'm thinking I would break it into 3-5 tranches and stagger risk, something like 200K in a mix of dividend paying blue chips that pay the %5, a second 200K in conservative blue chips that could be expected to grow %20-25 (total) over the 5 years, then go more risky with the last 100K and buy a basket of Google, Apple, Intel etc. 21st century economy stuff, stalking each one to get in on dips at the bottom of trading ranges when they periodically come off (like Google is doing right now).

If I can turn this into at least 625K after 5 years I will have succeeded. This is just one pillar of the strategy but it's crucial and I can't lose money. On balance, preservation and getting the %5 is quite a bit more important than trying to hit homers.

Unfortunately this is CAD so buying US stocks will be almost %20 more expensive right now and if USD drops against CAD while I'm in U.S. stocks that would be a stiff headwind. Nevertheless, U.S markets have so much more to offer than Canada, a great part of this will have to go to U.S. stocks.

Any names of stocks? I heard about Oak Tree Capital that pays %4-5 div and run by top notch management, for example.

All ideas welcome, thanks in advance to those generous guys that take the time to provide anything.

Sorry - but most of your ideas are off the rocks bad. Stocks - blue chips or not - can fluctuate 20%-40% in that time period and your dividend won't matter shit.

You cannot lose money - that is another difficult sell.

The best and most certain way is to pool most of it into a fund of funds Hedge Fund that gives constant returns of 4-8% via a very sophisticated strategy investing mostly in treasuries and low risk instruments. Those funds are rather popular, but you might get into a few of those - find a couple of those and spread your cash around. Those funds may lose, but the risk is low and you have a good chance of at least getting a 2-5% return or even besting it slightly.

Also - when looking for investment advice - find a trader who does not do it for a living and has no financial incentive - most financial consultants are crap. There are some good ones, but it would take a good one to know one.

$500K For 5 Years - Need %5/annum - Seadog - 01-08-2015

I too am a little confused at how you get to this point without knowing the answer.

Which is, you can't.

I see these sorts of questions all the times on other forums, like people think there is some sort of magical investment strategy that no one knows about except for a select few, whom are all too happy to give away their golden goose (if it existed).

Bottom line is if you want guaranteed returns, you'll have to be happy with something a little below inflation.

If you want good returns (5%+) then you need to invest on a long time horizon (15 years+).

recommending REITS in 2015? the interest rates hike will start in 2015 and you are recommending REITS?

that is just crazy.

what do you think happens to REITS when interest rates are hiked or sequentially hiked?

REITS get PUMMELED to oblivion. Talk about inverse correlation.

[Image: 110304_4.gif]

In fact, in 2015, I will position myself to short REITS. Here is an forbes article about interest rates vs REITS.

Again, i don't know why you are asking for financial advice here, when anybody with a $500K liquid is more financially qualified than 97% of forum members.

Also, i agree with zelcorpion, your stock selection sucks. and good luck finding Tbills the hit 5%.

Again, why would somebody with a claimed $500k liquid networth be asking these questions? it makes no sense.

$500K For 5 Years - Need %5/annum - Sherman - 01-08-2015

This is actually a good question but there is no easy answer. Every saver is in the same boat. The Federal Reserve is basically taking money from savers to bail out the banksters. If you have savings you are going to get a negative real interest rate if you put it into CDs or Tbills. You won't receive enough income to retire on even if you have a million dollars. That means you need to put your money in the stock market which is extremely risky. One option is a portfolio of dividend paying stocks. If you get enough income from dividends then you are still getting paid even though the prices are fluctuating. The dividends are giving better yields than bonds and unlike bonds, dividends can increase every year.

The amount of money needed to make $60,000 a year:

1980 (14% interest rate) $428,571

2015 (2.5% 30 year Treasury bond) $2,40,000

Here is an article from one guy who did it. ( you have to put link in web browser
to get article)

http://online.barrons.com/articles/SB114...61?tesla=y

Website on income securities.

http://quantumonline.com/

$500K For 5 Years - Need %5/annum - worldwidetraveler - 01-08-2015

Quote: (01-08-2015 12:47 AM)Home Depot Wrote:  

Maybe i am missing something.

But i hate these kind of threads.

How can you generate $500K and not know the answers to these questions you are asking people? Or not know how to go about researching them yourself?

It is safe to assume that over 97% of forum members do not have asset near $500K liquid. So, why are you asking advice about an area you are more experienced/qualified than 97% of forum members? It is one thing to ask game advice, it is another to ask how to invest liquid $500K(something that 97% of the forum has never done before).

Besides, if you do an archive search, you will find Westcoast's thread and advice.

I think these threads are boasting threads. Designed to make people kiss the OP's ass.

I am not impressed.

In a way, you reminded me of this clown: http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-34309-...#pid684341

good luck

Yeah, you seem to be missing a lot. What is up with the new people signing up and calling others out?

Generating money doesn't not mean you automatically know where to invest it. If that was the case, Bill Gates wouldn't have hired out his investments.

Frankly, your post does not impress.

Quote: (01-08-2015 12:14 PM)worldwidetraveler Wrote:  

Yeah, you seem to be missing a lot.

[Image: 200.gif]

What is up with the new people signing up and calling others out?

don't know. don't care, police officer worldwidetraveler.

Generating money doesn't not mean you automatically know where to invest it. If that was the case, Bill Gates wouldn't have hired out his investments.

you are missing the point. by the time bill gates made even remotely that kind of money, he would have accumulated enough financial knowledge to know where to go looking. ergo, justinian is trolling.

Frankly, your post does not impress.

who would want to impress you?

you want to play? go play with MikeCF. (yeah, i read your post history.)

$500K For 5 Years - Need %5/annum - el mechanico - 01-08-2015

In before ban

Home Depot: Angry investment troll.

By the way most people 500k liquid have no idea about this stuff and either do the people who are paid to help them with it

$500K For 5 Years - Need %5/annum - Merenguero - 01-08-2015

Quote: (01-08-2015 12:29 PM)Home Depot Wrote:  

Before you get banned from here, can you please explain the MikeCF reference? I'm just not getting it.

you are missing the point. by the time bill gates made even remotely that kind of money, he would have accumulated enough financial knowledge to know where to go looking. ergo, justinian is trolling.

haha Yeah, I am missing the point. 500k selling some assets could mean he sold a few houses he purchased back when he was younger. That doesn't make him a financial mastermind.

I get it, you don't have much so that seems like a lot.

Quote:Quote:

who would want to impress you?

You're right, you are more about hating than trying to impress. You should read some threads and look more into self improvement instead of hating on others who have reached milestones you could only dream of.

Quote: (01-08-2015 12:41 PM)Merenguero Wrote:  

Before you get banned from here, can you please explain the MikeCF reference? I'm just not getting it.

worldwidetraveler has a negative energy about him. That is why i want to distance myself from him. I don't want to play with him.

here is MikeCF taking him on. you can read the rest of the thread.

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-33432-...#pid789331

here is another thread where worldwidetraveler is starting drama again.

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-41320-...#pid854882

i try to avoid people like him.

why would i get banned?

to me, $500K liquid is a lot. This is not $500k assets. This is $500K liquid. How can you have that kind of money, and not know what questions to ask.

it is a soft version of big-baller trolling. humble-bragging.

It befuddles the mind. I don't even have that kind of cash, i still know what kinds of question to ask. Do you have that kind of cash lying around?

i sure as hell dont.

$500K For 5 Years - Need %5/annum - AntiTrace - 01-08-2015

why would i get banned?

You've been registered for 8 days and are attacking members and are not contributing the to thread.

Also, your being a passive aggressive bitch.

haha Great entertainment. Yep, some people find it "drama" when you disagree with them. Luckily it isn't my problem. I especially love the negative energy bit, nothing like a hater talking about negative energy.

I see a meltdown on the horizon.

Quote: (01-08-2015 01:23 PM)AntiTrace Wrote:  

You've been registered for 8 days and are attacking members and are not contributing the to thread.

Also, your being a passive aggressive bitch.

attack?

Here are my contributions on this issue:

#1. i warned the OP about the catastrophic nature of the advice to buy REITS in 2015.

#2. i reinforced zelcorpion position about how illadvised the OP stock selection is.

what have you, mechanico or worldwidetraveler contributed on this thread? nothing.

#3. i pointed out the errors of buying OIL and the EUR.

#4. i pointed out how the bond situation makes leverage ETF a bad advice.

And you are claiming that i didnt contribute? Those are four subcategories i have contributed. What have you, antitrace, el mechanico and worldwidetraveler contributed so far besides call me names?

and on top of that, i dont want to discuss with worldwidetraveler because i read his post history. you, mechanico and worldwidetraveler didnt add any useful info to the OP. but i am the one that is negative? You antitrace is the one calling me names right now, and apparently, i am the one that is negative?

For future reference, i will keep this in mind: avoid el mechanico, avoid antitrace, avoid worldwidetraveler. I suspect some gets their rocks off getting newbies banned by trying to start drama with them.

I will simply avoid all three of you. problem solved.

$500K For 5 Years - Need %5/annum - Lothario - 01-08-2015

Quote: (01-08-2015 01:34 PM)Home Depot Wrote:  

For future reference, i will keep this in mind: avoid el mechanico, avoid antitrace, avoid worldwidetraveler. I suspect some gets their rocks off getting newbies banned by trying to start drama with them.

Mechanico et al we need a few more posts before the ban .

[Image: popcorn5.gif]

$500K For 5 Years - Need %5/annum - TheFinalEpic - 01-08-2015

Alright, I'm gonna play the devil's advocate and say real estate. Find a generating property and sit on it, don't buy for appreciation, buy for the rental potential and cash-flow on a monthly basis, and hold it long term.

Also, if you are wanting to invest, for god's sake, be willing to lose. You don't play the market unless you know that it's lead by emotion, and that emotion turns on a dime. People that play stocks (myself included) know that there are going to be years the market climbs and then falls, but the trend is always upwards. You don't make money when you sell anything, by the way, you make it when you make smart purchases (companies that are undervalued, and homes that are below market evaluation).

For those saying 500k liquid is a lot, consider the guy's age, and that he's doing a massive sell off. Anyone over 30 can probably have 500k liquid quite easily, if you own a car, a home, a couple toys, and potentially some other assets.

Why is nobody just telling this guy to put his money in a mutual fund? At 500k you'll have access to a lot of the funds that most people cannot get into. My dad for example has over a mil in one fund in particular that returns between 15-80% per annum.

Quote: (01-08-2015 01:45 PM)TheFinalEpic Wrote:  

Alright, I'm gonna play the devil's advocate and say real estate.

^^

the best advice yet.

did a quick search, saw sammybiker thread on this.

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-35275.html

It will require active maintenance though. how do you find reliable PM(property manager)? that topic is a datasheet thread on its own.

i will focus on the positive, and ignore the negative jollies trying to instigate some drama. negativity people who hasn't contributed a single atom of good advice on this thread.

Quote: (01-08-2015 01:45 PM)TheFinalEpic Wrote:  

Alright, I'm gonna play the devil's advocate and say real estate. Find a generating property and sit on it, don't buy for appreciation, buy for the rental potential and cash-flow on a monthly basis, and hold it long term.

Also, if you are wanting to invest, for god's sake, be willing to lose. You don't play the market unless you know that it's lead by emotion, and that emotion turns on a dime. People that play stocks (myself included) know that there are going to be years the market climbs and then falls, but the trend is always upwards. You don't make money when you sell anything, by the way, you make it when you make smart purchases (companies that are undervalued, and homes that are below market evaluation).

For those saying 500k liquid is a lot, consider the guy's age, and that he's doing a massive sell off. Anyone over 30 can probably have 500k liquid quite easily, if you own a car, a home, a couple toys, and potentially some other assets.

Why is nobody just telling this guy to put his money in a mutual fund? At 500k you'll have access to a lot of the funds that most people cannot get into. My dad for example has over a mil in one fund in particular that returns between 15-80% per annum.

I can't say I am a fan of rentals. Maybe it's just my personality. I do know it works for many but I also think you should scale up the rentals to be able to afford your own management company.

I don't trust management companies and some can nickel and dime your ass into a loss.

I do like real estate notes, though. In places with fast foreclosure laws like in Georgia or Texas. No payments, send it off to an attorney to foreclose and get it back within 30 days (possible 60 days if eviction is required).

Then resell the property (can be done through agent) for a higher price and repeat.

Most people are interested in the monthly payments and whether they can afford it. That means you can charge higher interest rates without a problem. Just make sure you are in compliance with state laws.

Edited: I just noticed this is in Canada. My bad.

$500K For 5 Years - Need %5/annum - Tuthmosis - 01-08-2015

Quote: (01-08-2015 01:34 PM)Home Depot Wrote:  

I have a better idea: avoid all of us.

[Image: gtfo.gif]

$500K For 5 Years - Need %5/annum - el mechanico - 01-08-2015

Home Depot is awfully familiar with this place to be a new member....

Wonder who he was in a previous user...

$500K For 5 Years - Need %5/annum - lavidaloca - 01-08-2015

Tons of people have 500k. Often when someone receives an estate assets are liquidated in order to pay the beneficiaries. The OP may have sold a house or property and now has that money available. It's not exactly an extreme amount of highly liquid funds for a middle-aged man to have. I'd avoid mutual funds like the plague.