Roosh V Forum
Bright Light Therapy for Regularizing Sleep and Reducing Depression and Anxiety - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Bright Light Therapy for Regularizing Sleep and Reducing Depression and Anxiety (/thread-39799.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Bright Light Therapy for Regularizing Sleep and Reducing Depression and Anxiety - kiwi12 - 03-01-2016

They have also have bigger model TL-90, but it states that you have to be in same distance (15-20cm)

I used it for about 2 months, but its hard to compare as It's my first Bright Light Therapy lamp. Also i used it at ~30cm distance.
Things i noticed(can be placebo) - more easer to fall asleep and my mood in the mornings improved.

I will use it in 15-20cm distance and report changes in about two weeks.

Bright Light Therapy for Regularizing Sleep and Reducing Depression and Anxiety - Bear Hands - 03-04-2016

I got the sunlight jr recommended in the OP and started using it a week ago. I typically struggle to wake up before 9 AM without an alarm, but I started setting my alarm at 7 and using the light box immediately after waking up for 30 to 45 minutes. A few times this week, I woke up before the alarm went off, and the times I did need the alarm, I didn't feel like I had to hit snooze and catch a few more minutes. I need to work on getting to bed earlier at night, but so far I'm falling asleep much faster.

Bright Light Therapy for Regularizing Sleep and Reducing Depression and Anxiety - The Lizard of Oz - 03-04-2016

Quote: (03-04-2016 02:30 PM)Bear Hands Wrote:  

I got the sunlight jr recommended in the OP and started using it a week ago. I typically struggle to wake up before 9 AM without an alarm, but I started setting my alarm at 7 and using the light box immediately after waking up for 30 to 45 minutes. A few times this week, I woke up before the alarm went off, and the times I did need the alarm, I didn't feel like I had to hit snooze and catch a few more minutes. I need to work on getting to bed earlier at night, but so far I'm falling asleep much faster.

Bear Hands, that's great to hear. Faster sleep initiation -- which is what you're experiencing now -- is one of the first and most obvious results that you see from bright light therapy.

Keep using the Sunlight Jr. correctly and consistently -- same time every morning, for 30 minutes at 14'' to get 10,000 Lux -- and you will see ever improving sleep quality and a better energy and mood baseline throughout the day.

Please post here again after another few weeks and tell us how it's going.

Bright Light Therapy for Regularizing Sleep and Reducing Depression and Anxiety - FPT - 03-05-2016

I understand that ideally you want to use the lights 30 mins at the same time every morning.

Right now I'm waking up 4 days of the week at 7h and the rest at 11h. My circumstances dont allow reasonably to change the 11h wake up time, unless I only sleep 5h.

Would you guys just use the machine everyday anyway after waking up, or stop using it on the days you wake up a lot later than normal?

Bright Light Therapy for Regularizing Sleep and Reducing Depression and Anxiety - The Lizard of Oz - 03-13-2016

Quote: (03-05-2016 07:33 AM)FPT Wrote:  

I understand that ideally you want to use the lights 30 mins at the same time every morning.

Right now I'm waking up 4 days of the week at 7h and the rest at 11h. My circumstances dont allow reasonably to change the 11h wake up time, unless I only sleep 5h.

Would you guys just use the machine everyday anyway after waking up, or stop using it on the days you wake up a lot later than normal?

FPT, that's a tough question. This is obviously not a very good arrangement, so the sooner you can find an arrangement that allows you to wake up at the same time every morning the better off you'll be.

I assume the three days when you wake up at 11am come back to back to back? If so, you might try to use the light box every day after you wake up except the transition day when you wake up at 7am but (presumably) have to work late and wake up at 11am the next day. On that transition day use the light box later (eg at 11 or 11:30) if possible, as that might help you stay up later and fall asleep at the right time that night. So you would end up doing it early 3 days a week and later 4 days a week. But you may really need to experiment and see what works best for you in this regimen. Again, if I were you I would try to find a way to change the regimen sooner rather than later.

Bright Light Therapy for Regularizing Sleep and Reducing Depression and Anxiety - Bear Hands - 03-13-2016

I can't seem to sleep more than about 7 hours straight. I am aiming to wake up around 7 AM every day but I'm tired much earlier than midnight, and I really want to sleep 8+ hours a night for the sake of recovering my muscles as much as I can. When I go to bed at 11, I wake up just before 6 and when I went to bed at 10, I woke up at 5. I still used the box at 7 AM.

Before the last 2 weeks of light box therapy, I regularly took a nap after work. I was exhausted because I was not falling asleep until 2 or 3 AM and I needed to wake up at 8 to exercise and get to work on time. Napping was part of the reason I was awake so late, but trying to delay the nap would just cause me to crash harder later and wake up 2-3 hours later, and the bad cycle would continue.

Even with my current difficulties, I am much more rested than I have been in years, but I have been waking up all week needing to piss, and I can't go back to sleep easily afterward. I drink a little over a gallon of water a day, but I have shifted my water drinking habits to have about 3 quarts of that finished by 3 PM. I take medication for high blood pressure that has a diuretic effect, so I'm going to try taking that earlier in the day to see if it makes a difference.

Is there anything else I can do to try to get 8+ hours straight, or should I not concern myself and give my body longer to adjust?

Bright Light Therapy for Regularizing Sleep and Reducing Depression and Anxiety - Phoenix - 03-17-2016

My sleep has never been that hygienic, but it has gone to absolute shit recently, completely fucked up. It just drifts later and later, and then when I have to get up early I'm bullshit tired and have to sneak in a mid-day nap. Some days 5 hours sleep, others 12. So I'm going to be buying one of these light boxes too to arrest this bullshit.

I'll also be decking out my room with some thick black curtains to kill the light coming in from outside at night. I'll try this together and let you guys know how it goes.

Bright Light Therapy for Regularizing Sleep and Reducing Depression and Anxiety - Bear Hands - 03-29-2016

Quote: (03-04-2016 07:50 PM)The Lizard of Oz Wrote:  

Please post here again after another few weeks and tell us how it's going.

Today marks one month of use.

Daylight savings time messed me up a little bit, but I readjusted after a week.

Quote: (03-13-2016 02:05 PM)Bear Hands Wrote:  

I can't seem to sleep more than about 7 hours straight.

This is still mostly the case. Sometimes it's 7 and a half if I'm especially tired and go to bed a little earlier. It's still not the 8+ I want but maybe I need to work harder to wear myself out during the day. My schedule has evened out so I'm waking up around 7 AM give or take 15 minutes either way unless circumstances keep me from getting home before 10:30 PM. I keep my alarm set for now just in case but I don't actually need it most days. Even when the alarm wakes me up, I'm able to get up and start moving faster. I'm incorporating more activity into my pre-work routine because I'm not dragging my ass in the morning anymore. My days feel longer because after I get off work, I have already accomplished all my goals for the day and I'm not exhausted.

Quote:Quote:

I have been waking up ... needing to piss, and I can't go back to sleep easily afterward. I drink a little over a gallon of water a day, but I have shifted my water drinking habits to have about 3 quarts of that finished by 3 PM. I take medication for high blood pressure that has a diuretic effect, so I'm going to try taking that earlier in the day to see if it makes a difference.

Taking my meds in the morning and finishing off all my water intake about 2-3 hours before going to bed fixed this issue. I'm getting all my sleep in one unbroken block each night now, and I'm feeling even more rested when I wake up now.

Bright Light Therapy for Regularizing Sleep and Reducing Depression and Anxiety - redbeard - 03-30-2016

I don't think I've posted my experiences yet. but wow, this bright light works.

I now routinely wake up at 6:15 AM without an alarm, no matter when I go to sleep. It's like my body craves the light, and will drag me out of bed just to get a fix.

Bright Light Therapy for Regularizing Sleep and Reducing Depression and Anxiety - WalkingMan - 03-30-2016

Would you guys recommend this for diminishing the effects of jet lag? I wanna do a trip from NYC to Thailand and Japan this year and I want to enjoy as much of it as possible.

Bright Light Therapy for Regularizing Sleep and Reducing Depression and Anxiety - John Michael Kane - 03-30-2016

@walkingman,
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-condi...n-20032662

According to the Mayo clinic, Yes, it can help.

Give it a shot. There are also jetlag apps for timing your sleep that could also be useful.

Bright Light Therapy for Regularizing Sleep and Reducing Depression and Anxiety - WalkingMan - 03-30-2016

^good to know. appreciate it. I hope I remember this thread in 7 months

Bright Light Therapy for Regularizing Sleep and Reducing Depression and Anxiety - John Michael Kane - 04-14-2016

Sunlight is going to release the LED version within 30-60 days according to the rep I spoke with on the phone. They are just doing some final testing before it comes to market.

Bright Light Therapy for Regularizing Sleep and Reducing Depression and Anxiety - JohnnyAppleSeeds - 04-17-2016

I've always struggled with sleep and can relate to many other comments in this thread. I'm currently living in China in a noisy apartment getting the worst sleep of my life and it's affecting my mood, not to mention productivity. I've emailed Sunbox asking if they have any suggestions on ways to ship to China.

If I can't ship to China does anyone have any experience shipping to Vietnam, Cambodia or Thailand?

Bright Light Therapy for Regularizing Sleep and Reducing Depression and Anxiety - Speculation - 04-28-2016

Has anyone found a good 10,000 lux full spectrum light box shipping from Australia?

I don't want to source one from the US, but I'm having trouble finding a high quality locally sourced box.

Edit: I should say reasonably priced. There seems to be a reseller here: http://www.sunbox.co.nz/SUNBOX/Australia.html but he charges A$360 plus A$80 shipping. Thats US$336 for comparison.

Has anyone sourced a Sunlight Jr from the US to Australia and had a good experience?

Bright Light Therapy for Regularizing Sleep and Reducing Depression and Anxiety - redbeard - 06-01-2016

Thought I'd share here, today I blacked out the window outside of my bedroom window.

I had blackout curtains and thought they were enough, but there is a lamp outside my window that shines through the blinds and curtains. I thought it was "good enough" until I saw this RSD Tyler Instagram Video where they put trash bags on the windows to block out all the light. Bring the RSD haters, but this works great.

$10 of garbage bags, $4 of painters tape, 10 minutes of work, and my bedroom has become a cave.

Highly recommend.

Bright Light Therapy for Regularizing Sleep and Reducing Depression and Anxiety - WalkingMan - 06-01-2016

That's cool but I don't want no light 24/7. I have one single large window and I would have to take them down every day. A thick curtain should suffice.

Bright Light Therapy for Regularizing Sleep and Reducing Depression and Anxiety - Мортен - 06-26-2016

Study:

Individuals exposed to blue wavelength lights experienced faster reaction times
Blue light exposure has a lasting effect on brain function

A new study found that blue wavelength light exposure led to subsequent increases in brain activity in the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex (DLPFC) and the ventrolateral prefrontal cortex (VLPFC) when participants were engaging in a cognitive task after cessation of light exposure.

Link: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20...094747.htm

Bright Light Therapy for Regularizing Sleep and Reducing Depression and Anxiety - Мортен - 06-26-2016

Which light box would you guys recommend to bring on travels?
I travel for two weeks at a time, and can only bring two bags with me. So it should be light and small if possible.

Bright Light Therapy for Regularizing Sleep and Reducing Depression and Anxiety - redbeard - 06-30-2016

Has anyone travelled with their lightbox extensively?

I have a few trips coming up that are all longer than a week and feature time zone changes. I'll definitely want to bring my box, but would have to put it in my checked luggage. I think if I wrap the bulb with bubble wrap, replace it, then wrap the box in clothes, it should be fine.

Any packing hacks? Thanks

Bright Light Therapy for Regularizing Sleep and Reducing Depression and Anxiety - Leonard D Neubache - 06-30-2016

Thanks for posting this thread, LOZ.

My wife routinely works nights and I think something like this could give her a dramatic boost considering how much sunlight she misses.

Bright Light Therapy for Regularizing Sleep and Reducing Depression and Anxiety - Leonard D Neubache - 06-30-2016

Quote: (06-01-2016 11:08 AM)redbeard Wrote:  

Thought I'd share here, today I blacked out the window outside of my bedroom window.

I had blackout curtains and thought they were enough, but there is a lamp outside my window that shines through the blinds and curtains. I thought it was "good enough" until I saw this RSD Tyler Instagram Video where they put trash bags on the windows to block out all the light. Bring the RSD haters, but this works great.

$10 of garbage bags, $4 of painters tape, 10 minutes of work, and my bedroom has become a cave.

Highly recommend.

If I need to black out a room I use painters tape and aluminium foil. Get it right and your room will literally be "can't-see-my-hand-in-front-of-my-face dark"

As a side note if you ever find yourself in an extremely hot, sunny place then doing this to all your windows will dramatically decrease the temperature of your house (the foil reflects the UV rays back out of the house unlike curtains that just turn into giant heating elements).

Quote: (06-01-2016 11:59 AM)WalkingMan Wrote:  

That's cool but I don't want no light 24/7. I have one single large window and I would have to take them down every day. A thick curtain should suffice.

For on-again off-again windows I cut a piece of cardboard to fit snugly and cover that in the aluminium foil. Run a couple of loops of tape across the back for easy removal and replacement.

Though the real bonus of using foil instead of garbage bags is that it stops the government using mind control rays on you. [Image: tinfoilhat.gif]

Bright Light Therapy for Regularizing Sleep and Reducing Depression and Anxiety - WalkingMan - 06-30-2016

^I like the idea, but I think I should get something more presentable. I eventually want to bring more girls over soon. I don't give a shit but I think it's safe to assume all of my future guests will.

Quote: (06-30-2016 09:10 AM)WalkingMan Wrote:  

^I like the idea, but I think I should get something more presentable. I eventually want to bring more girls over soon. I don't give a shit but I think it's safe to assume all of my future guests will.

I suppose in hindsight it would potentially hurt your home game. [Image: confused.gif]

Bright Light Therapy for Regularizing Sleep and Reducing Depression and Anxiety - WalkingMan - 06-30-2016

I'm experimenting with a place that isn't exactly your normal bachelor pad, but I liked the logistics. So yeah, I'm gonna need all the home game I can get lol.