Roosh V Forum
Lifter's Lounge - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+---- Forum: Fitness (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-6.html)
+---- Thread: Lifter's Lounge (/thread-38933.html)

Lifter's Lounge - Switch - 11-28-2016

Next 3 weeks I'm going to be doing the following to drop some fat I've accumulated the past 6 months or so.

-Only meal of the day is dinner.
-Only eating grilled meat (nothing breaded/fried) and vegetables at dinner.
-Have a protein shake after a morning workout.
-Lift or cardio every single day.
-No snacks and no liquids other than water. No alcohol.
-Eat a yuge cheat dinner on Friday.

I imagine over next 3 weeks i lose 14-15 total pounds of which 8-9 is fat, with the rest being water due to carb restriction.

Goal is to combine advantages of Intermittent Fasting with benefits of a low-carb diet. I'll report back in 3 weeks with my results.

Lifter's Lounge - redbeard - 11-28-2016

Sounds similar to the Apex Predator protocol....

Lifter's Lounge - H1N1 - 11-28-2016

It sounds absolutely bloody miserable and detrimental to your health and sanity. It seems like the sort of thing that's fine if you have nothing else to do but live to train. For everyone else, people who prioritise learning, earning, and fucking above bodyfat levels, it sounds like a very bad idea to me.

Lifter's Lounge - britchard - 11-28-2016

Been so fucking ill recently it's driving me crazy as I can't work out. You know when your nose is blocked/running, your throat is sore and lumpy and half the time you have a headache?

Lifter's Lounge - Switch - 11-28-2016

It won't be too miserable. In fact it is very compatible with my lifestyle (student) right now. Most people would definitely hate this protocol, but it makes a lot of sense considering my circumstances. I think best in a fasted state, and all my friends are students too, so with final exams coming up I won't be missing out on going out. I don't feel like I'm sacrificing anything much at all.

I probably won't end up working out/exercising every day if I'm being honest [Image: lol.gif]

Lifter's Lounge - Ringo - 11-29-2016

Quote: (11-28-2016 04:57 PM)britchard Wrote:  

Been so fucking ill recently it's driving me crazy as I can't work out. You know when your nose is blocked/running, your throat is sore and lumpy and half the time you have a headache?

Do you have sinusitis?

I try to always clean my sinus. Helps me big time when I have those symptons - which are common when the weather gets cold or changes fast.

You can do it with a neti pot or a regular squeeze bottle, using warm water and salt. It's a game changer.

Lifter's Lounge - redonion - 11-29-2016

Hit a big milestone this week: I totaled 1,000 lbs on the big 3 lifts for sets of 5 (385 squat, 225 bench, 390 deadlift). I'm hoping to hit a 1,200 total when I test my 1-rep maxes in a month.

Lifter's Lounge - Agastya - 11-30-2016

Got a little dilemma about practicing MMA. I've been doing boxing and MMA for the last three months, currently training while studying in the country of Morocco. Training was going fine until the last two weeks, when we began sparring throughout every single practice. I didn't mind the first time, even though I got my ass kicked, but the second and third sessions fucked me up--this is an hour of near continuous MMA sparring without headgear or a mouthguard. While the intensity is supposed to be low, these bouts tend to get pretty serious. Since I'm a newbie, and my gym is full of guys who have been doing martial arts for years, this meant that I left every practice bleeding out of my nose and my mouth and unable to walk properly. Also, when I go to class in the morning, I perform terribly and am unable to really remember anything.

Is this something I'm supposed to be going through, and just get over after I adjust to the training? I am a little sketched out about getting head injuries--I frequently have to fight my coach, and even lighter blows from this guy feel like I'm getting kicked in the head by a horse. And while the conditioning is good, I don't speak their dialect of Arabic, and therefore have a hard time actually learning any new moves. Add to that the fact that everyone has at least three years of experience on me. Fighting vets, do you guys think I should stick this gym out, or should I just take some time off and condition at home? I go back to America pretty soon where I can hopefully find a more appropriate gym.

Lifter's Lounge - Ringo - 11-30-2016

Quote: (11-30-2016 01:49 PM)Agastya Wrote:  

Got a little dilemma about practicing MMA. I've been doing boxing and MMA for the last three months, currently training while studying in the country of Morocco. Training was going fine until the last two weeks, when we began sparring throughout every single practice. I didn't mind the first time, even though I got my ass kicked, but the second and third sessions fucked me up--this is an hour of near continuous MMA sparring without headgear or a mouthguard. While the intensity is supposed to be low, these bouts tend to get pretty serious. Since I'm a newbie, and my gym is full of guys who have been doing martial arts for years, this meant that I left every practice bleeding out of my nose and my mouth and unable to walk properly. Also, when I go to class in the morning, I perform terribly and am unable to really remember anything.

Is this something I'm supposed to be going through, and just get over after I adjust to the training? I am a little sketched out about getting head injuries--I frequently have to fight my coach, and even lighter blows from this guy feel like I'm getting kicked in the head by a horse. And while the conditioning is good, I don't speak their dialect of Arabic, and therefore have a hard time actually learning any new moves. Add to that the fact that everyone has at least three years of experience on me. Fighting vets, do you guys think I should stick this gym out, or should I just take some time off and condition at home? I go back to America pretty soon where I can hopefully find a more appropriate gym.

That shouldn't be a dilemma, 100% stop.

Damage to the brain is absolutely serious, it can mess up your speech, equilibrium, memory, cause serious ilnesses down the road, even mess with your personality - look at cases of people who hit their heads and changed behavior overnight.

You're not a pro, semi-pro or even appear to have the desire to do so.

You don't have to prove anything to these guys.

You already got punched, you know what it feels like, you know you're not made out of sugar. I'm sure you can think of better uses for your brain than punching bag for random Moroccan training partners who have less to lose long-term than you do. To them you're the new live training dummy who they get to practice on.

What would you say to someone who is lifting weights for 3 months but every session they either tweak something, get so exhausted physically they can barely function at work or school, and are so exhausted mentally that they have memory and concentration problems?

All training - martial arts, weightlifting - should improve/add to your life, not subtract.

Save the blows to the head for when it for when it matters, like an organized amateur fight (if you have the desire to compete).

If you're still not convinced, watch clips of what long term damage to the head can do.

Lifter's Lounge - Cr33pin - 12-01-2016

Quote: (11-30-2016 03:34 PM)Ringo Wrote:  

The part with the guy in he wheelchair.....
[Image: ccc9c6d1fab70251ce1556a984dad563.jpg]

Edit:
After seeing this about the fighter in the wheel chair...
"Dog fighting controversy
According to an article in The Observer, McClellan participated in dog fighting.. McClellan's trainer and family admitted that McClellan was involved with fighting pitbulls, and on one occasion had used tape to bind the jaws of a Labrador shut before allowing his pet pitbull "Deuce" to kill it."
I don't feel as bad for him.. seems more like the universe or karma or whatever always comes back around.

Lifter's Lounge - Hannibal - 12-02-2016

Quote: (11-28-2016 05:22 PM)Switch Wrote:  

Next 3 weeks I'm going to be doing the following to drop some fat I've accumulated the past 6 months or so.
-snip-

I recommend caffeine pills and just buttering the shit out of everything.

I used to do something like that when I worked 12 hour shifts, would usually make a massive saute of various meats and vegetables.

I got leaner, I'd also drag my ass through half the day from "bonking".

Lifter's Lounge - Prof. Ligate - 12-03-2016

Trying to put on size (about 10 weeks into a bulk), so thought I'd introduce protein shakes into my diet. While it definitely helps fill out the calories, my skin has gotten so oily in just the last week. I'm going to have to stop having them.

Lifter's Lounge - kaotic - 12-03-2016

3 weeks ago I started working 12-14 hour days to get ahead of the curve at work.

I skipped 2 weeks at the gym and still ate meal prep foods + some shitty food.

Last week I worked out only 3 days (Thanksgiving Weekend).

I hit the gym hard this week and did a 10x10 workout on low weight then upped to 6X1, 4x1, 4x1.

Right after that I did sumo dead lifts - I noticed more activation in glutes and a bit more in my quads.

The best part was it relieved the weight load on lower back - it didn't feel super tight on it.

Did some isolateral workouts and extensions.

One big thing I added this week was 3 days of stationary bike cardio at about 20 minutes per session.

Post leg day I did the bike 20 minutes and it helped so much with relieving soreness.

I wouldn't mind biking a little bit longer - I wanted to introduce cardio and I feel pretty solid.

Lifter's Lounge - gske - 12-04-2016

I need to adjust my training for some month.

My time schedule is pretty packed recently and I can't hit the gym like I used to.

I thought about going to the gym 1-2x a week and do a full body workout and do some calisthenics stuff at home.

Do you guys know any workout plans for this purpose?

Lifter's Lounge - Merris - 12-04-2016

Does anyone have any experience with fasted HIIT training in the mornings for fat loss? I'll be changing over to a slight cut soon to lean out a bit (eating close to maintenance/slightly under) while trying to avoid losing strength. I was toying with the idea of going 2-3 times a week for a short HIIT sesh in the morning on the rowing ergometer.

EDIT:

I managed to remove almost half of the message. Bravo. What I should have said is that I have been toying with the above idea, or doing a heavy mass phase, basically adding 5x10 after my normal 3-5x3 for the main lifts, then adding some shrugs and lateral raises. Kind of torn towards this option, where I'd eat above maintenance, but still to the HIIT in the mornings on non-lifting days. I'd love to be a huge motherf*cker.

Lifter's Lounge - CaptainChardonnay - 12-05-2016

just hit a PR in both my snatch and c&j

sn 165
c&j 195

bw is around 170

Lifter's Lounge - Giovonny - 12-15-2016

As a (former) ball player and boxer, I never focused too much on building big arms..

For the past month, I have been hitting my biceps and triceps hard.

Girls look at me 500% more!

I should have been doing this years ago!!! Duhhhh!!

Lifter's Lounge - Sensei Creation - 12-16-2016

Quote: (12-15-2016 07:38 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

As a (former) ball player and boxer, I never focused too much on building big arms..

For the past month, I have been hitting my biceps and triceps hard.

Girls look at me 500% more!

I should have been doing this years ago!!! Duhhhh!!

Giovanny would you be mind sharing what routine you've been doing for your arms mate ?

I'm in a similar situation , look muscular in a tank top but because I've got long arms they look don't look so big if I got a top on that covers my shoulders

Lifter's Lounge - Leonard D Neubache - 12-16-2016

Well it's starting to look like I'm not as young as I used to be.

I've started my post Trump election lifting program but my recovery times are appalling. Until now I never thought I'd bother with supplements but after three days of tender leg muscles I decided it was time...

I'm just starting out with one product at a time to see how each one affects me and what benefits it appears to offer. Creatine was first on the list and so far it seems to be helping.

Any advice on what folks think I should try next?

Lifter's Lounge - kaotic - 12-16-2016

Did some solid leg work outs yesterday, noticing sumo deadlifts are WAY better than your stand deads.

At least for me and with issue of lower back tightening, I need to do some Bulgarian split squats as well.

Introduced cardio the last 2 weeks, doing 3 days, 20 minutes of bike, did the row machine Weds then hopped on a stationary bike as well.

I'm trying to lean out a little bit, there was about a month I was eating really shitty on the weekends, too many cheat days a month is not good for you.

I'm also trying to lean out my stomach, I don't have a gut, just a bit of pudge, nothing some cardio can't fix.

Lifter's Lounge - MiscBrah - 12-16-2016

Quote: (12-16-2016 08:37 AM)Leonard D Neubache Wrote:  

Well it's starting to look like I'm not as young as I used to be.

I've started my post Trump election lifting program but my recovery times are appalling. Until now I never thought I'd bother with supplements but after three days of tender leg muscles I decided it was time...

I'm just starting out with one product at a time to see how each one affects me and what benefits it appears to offer. Creatine was first on the list and so far it seems to be helping.

Any advice on what folks think I should try next?

Skip most of the supplements man. Take a basic fish oil (1.5-3.0 grams combined EPA/DHA) and maybe some protein powder if you don't get enough protein. Supplements are close to worthless in most circumstances.

If you are noticing serious recovery problems, get your testosterone checked. It may be worth getting on TRT if its low. Its less expensive than many supplements and it actually works.

Your workouts could also be causing the excessive soreness. Going all out on legs once a week is an excellent way to have sore legs all week regardless of age.

Lifter's Lounge - CaptainChardonnay - 12-16-2016

^If youre just started up again then being extremely sore is normal. It's called delayed onset muscle soreness and goes away after a week or two when your body gets use to it.

Two supplements I recommend are definitely creatine and glutamine. You should be taking those even if you're cycling or on TRT.

Lifter's Lounge - Bluey - 12-16-2016

Quote: (12-16-2016 02:35 PM)CaptainChardonnay Wrote:  

^If youre just started up again then being extremely sore is normal. It's called delayed onset muscle soreness and goes away after a week or two when your body gets use to it.

Two supplements I recommend are definitely creatine and glutamine. You should be taking those even if you're cycling or on TRT.

A lot of people swear by contrast showers, and massage is a good one.

Lifter's Lounge - king bast - 12-16-2016

ZMA seemed to have the greatest single impact of a supplement for me. Training 3-4 times a week was about my limit before I started using it, now I happily do 5-6.

It's not very expensive either.

Lifter's Lounge - scotian - 12-16-2016

Went to a gym in Florida all week, the US has the best gyms that I've been to: they are big, well run/organized, cheap and the people are generally pretty courteous and friendly. I guess it should be expected since gym culture came from here but I"m going to Colombia tomorrow and kinda dread working out there.