Roosh V Forum
Why do Americans hate World Cup soccer and the world is so silly with it? - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Everything Else (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Why do Americans hate World Cup soccer and the world is so silly with it? (/thread-37448.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Why do Americans hate World Cup soccer and the world is so silly with it? - Parlay44 - 06-23-2014

Soccer is the most mind-numbingly boring sport to watch second only to curling. Why is the world so silly with it?

[Image: MjAxMi0zY2UzZDQyMjZmNDM3NDdi.png]

Why do Americans hate World Cup soccer and the world is so silly with it? - frenchcorporation - 06-23-2014

football is art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVvguaUAoOE

Why do Americans hate World Cup soccer and the world is so silly with it? - Handsome Creepy Eel - 06-23-2014

This should be in the "unpopular opinions" thread.

Why do Americans hate World Cup soccer and the world is so silly with it? - tomtud - 06-23-2014

It's subjective. Some Americans like it some don't. Also I guess watching it is different than playing it.

Why do Americans hate World Cup soccer and the world is so silly with it? - Moma - 06-23-2014

Americans like everything now now and sports always revolve around some hero. Football is a team sport and you MUST be assisted by your team to score. No one man heroes per se like basketball, baseball, football etc..

Americans will catch on to World Cup. Amazingly, I see them beating England in terms of world rankings in four years time.

Why do Americans hate World Cup soccer and the world is so silly with it? - player - 06-23-2014

[Image: popcorn5.gif]

Why is football (i.e. the sport which is primarily feet kicking a ball) so popular around the world? (with ~3.5 billion fans vs American football's ~400 million fans: http://www.topendsports.com/world/lists/...t/fans.htm)

Football is the most popular sport in the world because it is so easy to play: you just need two people and a ball. It's incredibly intuitive and you don't need an exact pitch, net, bat, hoop, racket, or protective clothing. I was in a shithole village in Africa, with no electricity or running water: the kids still had a ball to play with and could make goal posts with random stuff e.g. clothing.

While it is so easy to play, at the highest levels there is exceptionally impressive ability:

The harder question: why isn't football as popular in America as in the rest of the world?

Some possibilities:
- low scores
- not enough breaks in the play, so TV stations cannot play as many adverts (less of an issue for state-sponsored TV abroad)
- less popularity in the past means top American athletes go into American football, basketball or baseball; as such America has never produced a Pele / Ronaldo / Messi who would increase popularity.

Why do Americans hate World Cup soccer and the world is so silly with it? - Parlay44 - 06-23-2014

Quote: (06-23-2014 10:57 AM)player Wrote:  

Football is the most popular sport in the world because it is so easy to play: you just need two people and a ball. It's incredibly intuitive and you don't need an exact pitch, net, bat, hoop, racket, or protective clothing. I was in a shithole village in Africa, with no electricity or running water: the kids still had a ball to play with and could make goal posts with random stuff e.g. clothing.

Good answer. I get that. I played it for years ...in my youth. But have long since moved on
to bigger and better things ...like making money and plundering vagina. [Image: lol.gif]

Why do Americans hate World Cup soccer and the world is so silly with it? - Pepini - 06-23-2014

The USA WC was for me the best one I´ve ever watched.

It will take some time but football will become the number 1 sport in the US.

To play football you just need a ball. The ball can be made out of duct tape. You tear down all the pages from a phone book and wrap it around with duct tape. That´s all you need.

Why do Americans hate World Cup soccer and the world is so silly with it? - kosko - 06-23-2014

It's a sport of strategy and finesse and Americans don't compute with that any more on a taste/cultural level. Boxing and baseball used to be American go to sports and they had a lot of aspects that soccer has but Americans don't mess with it anymore (no more patience for baseball, people think boxing is to barbaric..or not barbaric enough). Now take Football and UFC. Football is a great sport but it's nothing more then a broadway production or jacked up dudes meant for TV. It's TV theatre and Americans eat that up.

I'm in the middle. I like watching soccer live but on TV can't get into the Euro league shit that's on the rest of the time (EPL, LIGA, etc) . I'm not a big enough fan to mess with it full time. I like international play because these guys don't duck around. You can tell it means something versus them going through the motions for a cheque in Europe. That added tension and emotion puts it over the edge and gets me hooked.

But one major flaw is that Americans can't fuck with that softy/flop shit. Even me as a middle of the fence soccer fan it drives me nuts. I can't handle physically elite men acting like frail queers when they get tapped on the shoulder. It's one of the biggest complaints Americans and Canadians make about the game. The time thin is over blown, it's seeing plays and chances develop that is part of the draw. The games actually don't last that long and you don't have to be 100% engaged once you learn how to watch it. You can see a chance or a good counter attack develop early and you know when to focus in on the game. You don't just watch for goals just like with hockey your seeing other things develop, it's the drama before the goal which makes it all worth it.

World Cup is on another level though. If you can't get drawn into the emotions of it you gotta check your pulse. I've been at the edge me my seat almost each game.

Soccer is a good game. It's the one sport everybody can play on a even level. It's a good sport to pick up chic's too. The patient games like baseball and soccer draw a lot of broads since it's low impact and they don't have actually be engaged 100%. There is always hot broads at the Toronto FC games. Even more when they got the International friendlies.

Why do Americans hate World Cup soccer and the world is so silly with it? - soup - 06-23-2014

I think it's like another language for most Americans.

It's hard to appreciate a lot of sports, music, cuisine, or art unless you've developed a taste for it.

It just never caught on here as early as it did in other countries.

In the future, it probably will. Although we do have our own sports.

Why do Americans hate World Cup soccer and the world is so silly with it? - Moma - 06-23-2014

Quote: (06-23-2014 11:21 AM)kosko Wrote:  

But one major flaw is that Americans can't fuck with that softy/flop shit. Even me as a middle of the fence soccer fan it drives me nuts. I can't handle physically elite men acting like frail queers when they get tapped on the shoulder. It's one of the biggest complaints Americans and Canadians make about the game.

NBA has turned into a bit of a sissy sport with a lot of flopping and drawing the charge bullshyt and I blame bloody Divac for that.

Why do Americans hate World Cup soccer and the world is so silly with it? - LaserBear - 06-23-2014

Unpopular opinion... I love soccer AND the world cup as an American.

Every moment is terrifying. Any moment one mistake can change a game.
The last second equalizer in USA v Portugal?
Freaking heartbreaking.

You just can't watch it like american sports.
Just have to enjoy every play, as opposed to only looking forward to goals.

Quote: (06-23-2014 11:21 AM)kosko Wrote:  

it's the drama before the goal which makes it all worth it.

Is that how you feel about women [Image: huh.gif]

Why do Americans hate World Cup soccer and the world is so silly with it? - It_is_my_time - 06-23-2014

As an American who doesn't like soccer, but does watch some world cup, I will give what I feel is the best answer from my perspective.

There are three reasons...

#1) Soccer, IMO, is just a primitive game in rules and equipment compared to most American sports. So people in poorer countries can still play soccer. All you need is a ball and some open land. Where as in the USA, we have so many more fun options, so soccer falls by the way side.

#2) The USA likes to compete and win. And the World Cup is this huge sporting event where we are not the favorites. So it is an odd position that most Americans do not like. Rest assured though, Americans do know if our best athletes played soccer, rather than the big three sports, we would be at the top year in/year out, and we may not really get competition to be honest. There was a great article on who would make up our soccer team if our best athletes played soccer on buzzfeed I believe. The lineup was pretty unreal.

#3) There is a generation gap on this. The kids born in the mid 1980's and later for the most part grew up with soccer. It is now the first sport kids in America play. So the 20 somethings and younger do like the world cup v. the 35+ crowd. There was no soccer when I grew up in the early and mid 1980's. No leagues, nothing. Today it is every where. So for people say 25 and under in the USA, it is a big event they do follow. And hopefully going forward we get some of our better athletes involved in soccer. Rather than some guy who can cut on a dime and runs a 4.5 40 sitting on the bench at Alabama and never playing in the NFL, he might now choose soccer and be unstoppable.

Why do Americans hate World Cup soccer and the world is so silly with it? - username - 06-23-2014

Quote: (06-23-2014 10:57 AM)player Wrote:  

The harder question: why isn't football as popular in America as in the rest of the world?

Some possibilities:
- low scores
- not enough breaks in the play, so TV stations cannot play as many adverts (less of an issue for state-sponsored TV abroad)
- less popularity in the past means top American athletes go into American football, basketball or baseball; as such America has never produced a Pele / Ronaldo / Messi who would increase popularity.

Two more:
-Americans don't like tie games.
-The clock counts up instead of down and then minutes get added on.

Soccer will never be #1, #2, or even #3 in sports in the US unless something crazy happened like the US winning 3 world cups in a row.

Why do Americans hate World Cup soccer and the world is so silly with it? - Barron - 06-23-2014

Ah the great question of our time.

In my opinion there are two critical factors which blind American's from getting into soccer. Because of this we're unable to appreciate most of what is happening from minute to minute. It's like driving a Bugatti Veyron and being restricted to the first two gears.

1. American's have little discipline. We're hard workers yes, but for the most part we are not intellectuals with a capacity for sitting and reading for an extended period of time. It's part of the reason why so many American's aren't interested in traveling or learning a foreign language, they simply lack the discipline to appreciate the experience.

2. Soccer is a sport, but mastering the game cannot be done by an individual. On the contrary, mastering the game is more about coordinated participation with your teammates. When this happens -- on a high level -- Soccer becomes an art-form as it requires the individual to sublimate their personal skill and talent into a system of participation.

The joy of watching soccer comes in appreciating the art (system) of participation by following along with the players and their way of thinking. Each touch, each trap, each feign, each foul, each dive, it's all part of the system just as much as the individual. To put it simply, the better you get at the game (participation), the more you appreciate watching it.

This is why I can watch a great match, have it end 0-0, and talk about how awesome it was for the rest of the week while your average American would look at me like I'm crazy.

Quote: (06-23-2014 11:56 AM)It_is_my_time Wrote:  

#2) The USA likes to compete and win. And the World Cup is this huge sporting event where we are not the favorites. So it is an odd position that most Americans do not like. Rest assured though, Americans do know if our best athletes played soccer, rather than the big three sports, we would be at the top year in/year out, and we may not really get competition to be honest.

This is incorrect. America would not dominate the competition.

Why do Americans hate World Cup soccer and the world is so silly with it? - TonySandos - 06-23-2014

Quote: (06-23-2014 11:59 AM)username Wrote:  

Soccer will never be #1, #2, or even #3 in sports in the US unless something crazy happened like the US winning 3 world cups in a row.

Lol I had people on multiple social networks mad at me yesterday over the team USA loss.

The way Americans treat and form opinions on soccer is a good metaphor on why some countries think of our citizenry in a negative light.

Why do Americans hate World Cup soccer and the world is so silly with it? - It_is_my_time - 06-23-2014

Quote: (06-23-2014 12:12 PM)Moma Wrote:  

#2) The USA likes to compete and win. And the World Cup is this huge sporting event where we are not the favorites. So it is an odd position that most Americans do not like. Rest assured though, Americans do know if our best athletes played soccer, rather than the big three sports, we would be at the top year in/year out, and we may not really get competition to be honest.

You are saying that the USA, who can already play with Germany, Portugal, England, Brazil in head to head competition and at least hold their own would not dominate if we had our best athletes out there, athletes who are quite frankly 3 to 4 levels more athletic in every aspect possible than our current team?

I completely disagree. The article I referenced talked about having Calin Johnson for a goalie, and believed that if he took a few weeks to just learn the position would probably be the best goalie in the world. He is 6'5" with a 46" vertical and damn near perfect hand eye coordination.

Why do Americans hate World Cup soccer and the world is so silly with it? - Cyr - 06-23-2014

Quote: (06-23-2014 12:15 PM)It_is_my_time Wrote:  

You are saying that the USA, who can already play with Germany, Portugal, England, Brazil in head to head competition and at least hold their own would not dominate if we had our best athletes out there, athletes who are quite frankly 3 to 4 levels more athletic in every aspect possible than our current team?

I completely disagree. The article I referenced talked about having Calin Johnson for a goalie, and believed that if he took a few weeks to just learn the position would probably be the best goalie in the world. He is 6'5" with a 46" vertical and damn near perfect hand eye coordination.

If Calvin Johnson spent a few weeks learning the position, he would still be nowhere near the best in the world (irrespective of what an article says). He would still have no sense of positioning, wouldn't be used to reading player's movements to make a split second judgement on where to go, and would be competing against other 6'5 athletes with perfect hand eye coordination, only they'd spent their whole lives practising and developing instincts.
The skills required to be good at 'soccer' are not the same as for American sports- although being able to run a 4.5 40 would probably help, it certainly wouldn't make you unstoppable.

In football, it is easy for a weaker team to shepherd together a side, and 'hold their own', under good management. However, it is much harder to actually put together an elite side that is in a position to win trophies.

Quote: (06-23-2014 12:22 PM)Cyr Wrote:  

If Calvin Johnson spent a few weeks learning the position, he would still be nowhere near the best in the world. The skills required to be good at 'soccer' are not the same as for American sports- although being able to run a 4.5 40 would probably help, he certainly wouldn't be unstoppable.

In football, it is easy for a weaker team to shepherd together a side, and 'hold their own', under good management. However, it is much harder to actually put together an elite side that is in a position to win trophies.

I believe he would be one of the best. I've watched the World Cup, they are great at what they do, but none of those guys is nearly as big or quick or strong as Calvin Johnson. And I doubt any of them have hands that are any better either. He would have to learn the position, where to go and when. He would have to learn how to react properly. But his genetic potential would be not of comparison.

And I am not saying we could just take these guys from other sports and win right now. I am saying that if these guys all played soccer from the age of 4 like in other countries, then we would dominate.

As for Johnson, the reason it is mentioned is because what Johnson already does is close to being a goalie, he already naturally and has worked both to have the skills to be a goalie.

Why do Americans hate World Cup soccer and the world is so silly with it? - Pepini - 06-23-2014

The improve on the US national team in the last few years is pretty obvious.

My bet is it will continue to improove until it becomes top 5 world teams. As for the american championship it will take some time, but some type of football cup between the US and Euro teams will be created.

America is always quoting these stats about height and vertical. They have all this stuff in other countries but it doesn't have any bearing on having a great football team. It will take more than that, bro and they are not head to head with Brazil..I could get a bunch of schulbs to play against the spurs, that doesn't mean I'm on par with them.

Let's not get over zealous here, pal [Image: banana.gif]

Quote: (06-23-2014 12:30 PM)Moma Wrote:  

America is always quoting these stats about height and vertical. They have all this stuff in other countries but it doesn't have any bearing on having a great football team. It will take more than that, bro and they are not head to head with Brazil..I could get a bunch of schulbs to play against the spurs, that doesn't mean I'm on par with them.

Let's not get over zealous here, pal [Image: banana.gif]

What would be more crucial to being a goalie than being explosive, long, and having great hands, all of things with Calvin Johnson is beyond exceptional at?

As for the other positions, like I already said, it would require playing from the time you grow up. They couldn't just go out and play at a high level.

Though being unbelievable fast and also unbelievable quick, would be a great combination to have in a soccer player.

Why do Americans hate World Cup soccer and the world is so silly with it? - Cyr - 06-23-2014

Quote: (06-23-2014 12:25 PM)It_is_my_time Wrote:  

Quote: (06-23-2014 12:22 PM)Cyr Wrote:  

If Calvin Johnson spent a few weeks learning the position, he would still be nowhere near the best in the world. The skills required to be good at 'soccer' are not the same as for American sports- although being able to run a 4.5 40 would probably help, he certainly wouldn't be unstoppable.

I believe he would be one of the best. I've watched the World Cup, they are great at what they do, but none of those guys is nearly as big or quick or strong as Calvin Johnson. And I doubt any of them have hands that are any better either. He would have to learn the position, where to go and when. He would have to learn how to react properly. But his genetic potential would be not of comparison.

And I am not saying we could just take these guys from other sports and win right now. I am saying that if these guys all played soccer from the age of 4 like in other countries, then we would dominate.

As for Johnson, the reason it is mentioned is because what Johnson already does is close to being a goalie, he already naturally and has worked both to have the skills to be a goalie.

He would possibly be competitive, but I don't think his genetic potential would be that much better. Almost all goalkeepers are 6'4+. Joe Hart is 6'5, Manuel Neuer is 6'4, Thibaut Courtois is 6'6. They aren't as athletic as him, but they are still professional athletes who have trained their whole lives. You can't pull off saves without athleticism and crazy reactions.
Do you honestly think Calvin Johnson could just drop right in and do this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjaodPyiEF0