Roosh V Forum
The Philippines thread - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Travel (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: The Philippines thread (/thread-34766.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

The Philippines thread - Antipodean - 06-25-2014

Quote: (06-25-2014 07:50 AM)Spaniard88 Wrote:  

Did you guys feel the earthquake here in Manila a little less than an hour ago? I'm in my condo on the 6th floor with my girlfriend, we're looking at funny online videos, and then she puts her hands on the table and she's like, "look."

I hold still, and she does too, and the table and the plates are moving back and forth as the ground's swaying gently under us. I've never been in an earthquake before. We left the building, just in case. Most of the people on the ground floor didn't even notice, but I guess since we were on the 6th floor, the quake caused the building to flex:

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/614346/quak...-provinces

Quote:Quote:

MANILA, Philippines – A 5.7 magnitude earthquake rattled several parts of Metro Manila and Southern Tagalog Wednesday night, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said.

Phivolcs said the location of the quake was 13.65°N, 120.54°E – 022 km S 27° W of Calatagan, Batangas.

It occurred at 7:52 p.m. and it has a depth of 036 kilometers, Phivolcs said.

Radio and TV news reports said the quake was felt in Makati, Quezon City, Bulacan, Pasig City, Lucena, Batangas City, Tagaytay and Puerto Galera.

Phivolcs is still finalizing its report as of posting time.

Read more: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/614346/quak...z35eehu9Mc
Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

I'm hoping that's that and nothing comes of this.

Yeah, I'm here in Makati.
Shaking stuff around on the 15th floor.

I grew up with earthquakes in my home city but this is the first time I've experienced one whilst in a high rise building.
A bit unsettling.

The Philippines thread - tattiemasher - 06-26-2014

I'm going to be in Davao in a few days, anyone there know if there are local beers or spirits worth trying? So far I've read that local stuff is extremely limited and not of particularly good quality across the country in general, but if anyone can give me more specifics for Davao I'm all ears.

The Philippines thread - iknowexactly - 06-27-2014

Quote: (06-15-2014 07:11 PM)mrnomer14 Wrote:  

I should also mention that I wish to be able to perform as a musician/have a sweet band to rock out with on weekends. A good / doable live scene would be a bonus! Cheers

I'm a semi-pro musician, and was quite surprised at the high quality of singing in tiny clubs here. Very good intonation, sweet and understated phrasing, legato style-- really nice. Filipinos are great singers, tiny cebu lounges had people who could be working lounges in NYC.

I think you could get some musicians who were down with your vision and blow wildly here.

Makes the place a lot more appealing for those of us with the music bug. I may be in Davao for a _while_ starting September, can play all rock band instrument, can play a lot of stuff short of bebop, but focus on my own really simple Neil Young style rock originals.

The Philippines thread - Cr33pin - 06-28-2014

Quote: (06-26-2014 11:43 PM)tattiemasher Wrote:  

I'm going to be in Davao in a few days, anyone there know if there are local beers or spirits worth trying? So far I've read that local stuff is extremely limited and not of particularly good quality across the country in general, but if anyone can give me more specifics for Davao I'm all ears.

I liked Red Horse beer. Its strong and cheap and surprisingly decent. Granted its not on the same level as some delicious micro brew from a country well know for its beer.
As far as beer I tried in the Phils, it was the best option. I think its almost 9% alcohol so if you are used to drinking shitty light beer like Budlight and can down a 12 pack of Budlight no problem. Then try to down a 12 pack of Red Horse...... you're gonna get super drunk, dont ask me how I know.

The Philippines thread - tattiemasher - 06-28-2014

Quote: (06-28-2014 09:57 AM)Cr33pin Wrote:  

Quote: (06-26-2014 11:43 PM)tattiemasher Wrote:  

I liked Red Horse beer. Its strong and cheap and surprisingly decent. Granted its not on the same level as some delicious micro brew from a country well know for its beer.
As far as beer I tried in the Phils, it was the best option. I think its almost 9% alcohol so if you are used to drinking shitty light beer like Budlight and can down a 12 pack of Budlight no problem. Then try to down a 12 pack of Red Horse...... you're gonna get super drunk, dont ask me how I know.

Cheers, I've drank Baltika 'devyatka' on the Trans-Siberian train a few times, good preparation for Red Horse! Are there any others or is it limited to the San Miguel range and a few foreign beers?

I also read about Emperador cognac, anything else like a local equivalent of vodka, whisky, sake, soju etc?

The Philippines thread - Enigma - 06-28-2014

^Not quite haha. It's 6.9%, still pretty strong compared to beers in the US though.

I don't think Davao has a local brew. This is not a food culture. I actually like Filipino food and it's very reminiscent of the cuisine from the southern US, but people here are content with eating the same stuff every day. Even when they try another type of food, they make their own version with the same flavors they're familiar with. Half the menu at McDonald's is rice, fried chicken, and Filipino-style spaghetti (sucks).

I'd recommend Cerveza Negra though. It's a good dark lager, made by the same people as all of the other Filipino beers I've seen (San Miguel).

Quote: (06-27-2014 03:08 AM)iknowexactly Wrote:  

I'm a semi-pro musician, and was quite surprised at the high quality of singing in tiny clubs here. Very good intonation, sweet and understated phrasing, legato style-- really nice. Filipinos are great singers, tiny cebu lounges had people who could be working lounges in NYC.

I've really been blown away by the talent of Filipino musicians.

You're just sitting in some little bar with like 8 people on a Wednesday and the chick singing has this amazing voice.

Quote: (06-28-2014 10:21 AM)tattiemasher Wrote:  

Cheers, I've drank Baltika 'devyatka' on the Trans-Siberian train a few times, good preparation for Red Horse! Are there any others or is it limited to the San Miguel range and a few foreign beers?

I also read about Emperador cognac, anything else like a local equivalent of vodka, whisky, sake, soju etc?

There's a rum called Tanduay, with it's own line of Tanduay Ice female drinks (think a dark version of Smirnoff and Smirnoff Ice -- cheap but not that great).

Liquor really isn't very popular here though. Even the girls drink Red Horse. Most of the more local bars have no concept of a mixed drink.

If you go to the right bars, you'll have a full selection of imports at good prices though. They don't mark up their bar menus, so even foreign liquors and beers are cheaper then what you'd find in the US. There was one place I was at where some XO cognac (Hennessy?) was like $7 a shot (which is equal to or less than VS in the US). And you can find a few gems, like $10 bottles of Stoli.

^^

Cheers I'll look for it! Is it common in bars or only in better ones? No fear about the spaghetti either, I hate it to begin with, but from the pictures I've seen online in Philippines it looks boggin...

I'll look out for Tanduay as well. Every place I go to on this trip I'm looking to eat/drink new stuff, so if there's even only a couple in Davao it'll do.

Quote: (06-28-2014 10:53 AM)tattiemasher Wrote:  

Cheers I'll look for it! Is it common in bars or only in better ones? No fear about the spaghetti either, I hate it to begin with, but from the pictures I've seen online in Philippines it looks boggin...

It's pretty common, behind only Red Horse and San Miguel Light, but it doesn't seem very popular with locals so I've had instances where it was on the menu but not in stock. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding it though.

Quote: (06-28-2014 10:57 AM)Enigma Wrote:  

Quote: (06-28-2014 10:53 AM)tattiemasher Wrote:  

It's pretty common, behind only Red Horse and San Miguel Light, but it doesn't seem very popular with locals so I've had instances where it was on the menu but not in stock. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding it though.

Aye that sounds good. I owe you a beer for the info.

The Philippines thread - Sp5 - 06-28-2014

Cerveza Negra is pretty good. Emperador Light is an OK rounds-drinking thing, got into that one night with a bunch of guys passing the bottle around.

The Philippines thread - Cr33pin - 06-28-2014

Quote: (06-28-2014 10:52 AM)Enigma Wrote:  

There's a rum called Tanduay, with it's own line of Tanduay Ice female drinks (think a dark version of Smirnoff and Smirnoff Ice -- cheap but not that great).

A lot of my male Filipino friends would drink Tanduay rum. They mix it with coconut water a lot.. I think they call coconut water Baka or bata juice or something like that. Which is good cause it tastes good and helps you from getting dehydrated. However if you drink to much rum and coconut water you may shit your pants and if you shit your pants, your gonna have a bad time.

Spot on with that Tanduay ice, I kept some in the fridge for girls and it came in handy a good bit. Most girls would drink whatever I told them to but the ones who didn't really drink or had never drank before would pretty much only go for the Tanduay Ice.

The Philippines thread - tattiemasher - 06-29-2014

I'll keep the coconut water in mind and make sure I've got a couple of Tanduay Ice in the fridge!

I'll be arriving in Davao on Tuesday btw, if anyone is there it'd be great to meet up for a drink.

The Philippines thread - Turbo - 06-29-2014

Keep a couple of Tanduay Ice or San Mig Apple for the girls. The local girls like it. For your Filipino guy friends/ tour guides, you can drink either San Miguel Pale Pilsen with them or Red Horse Beer. Just check if it's available because they don't sell it in some places. Better ask the locals what beer they usually drink (like Gold Eagle Beer in remote places). Trust me I'm a Flip.

Quote: (06-29-2014 10:43 AM)Turbo Wrote:  

Keep a couple of Tanduay Ice or San Mig Apple for the girls. The local girls like it. For your Filipino guy friends/ tour guides, you can drink either San Miguel Pale Pilsen with them or Red Horse Beer. Just check if it's available because they don't sell it in some places. Better ask the locals what beer they usually drink (like Gold Eagle Beer in remote places). Trust me I'm a Flip.

I've not heard of the Gold Eagle Beer before, can you get it anywhere in Davao or need to head outside the city?

Quote: (06-29-2014 10:45 AM)tattiemasher Wrote:  

I've not heard of the Gold Eagle Beer before, can you get it anywhere in Davao or need to head outside the city?

Sometimes the remote places don't have the usual beer you can get in the city. So they have the less popular beer like Gold Eagle beer. That's why it's better to ask the waiters or the shopkeeper. San Miguel (or SanMig) Pale Pilsen is still the popular brand but the ladies don't like the taste. The more outgoing type of girls will drink Red Horse. For the reserved ones, give them Tanduay Ice or San Miguel Apple flavor. Also, if you need energy drink, Cobra will be your best bet. I think you're gonna need it with the long travels, etc. The locals like it, dunno about your taste though.

Also, try to stay in Davao if you're alone. Davao is relatively safe but don't venture out to other cities in Mindanao. Foreigners are kidnapped by militia so keep your guard up. My opinion is Cebu/Boracay/Palawan is safer for tourists.

Quote: (06-29-2014 11:09 AM)Turbo Wrote:  

Also, try to stay in Davao if you're alone. Davao is relatively safe but don't venture out to other cities in Mindanao. Foreigners are kidnapped by militia so keep your guard up. My opinion is Cebu/Boracay/Palawan is safer for tourists.

Cheers! I try to avoid the energy drinks but I'll mind and ask what beers each place has specifically.

I'm going alone to Davao but won't be going outside the city, only there for ten days.

The Philippines thread - Global Entry - 06-29-2014

Turbo,
I understand you're Filipino, but you're saying that no other city in Mindanao is OK for foreigners. I understand the warnings about Western Mindanao and Tawi Tawi, Sulu etc. but there are a lot of foreigners already in GSC, and up north in Surigao area and elsewhere, without incident. Zamboanga, I hear you...though I'd really like to go there anyway. Seems to have some very beautiful girls.

The Philippines thread - mrnomer14 - 07-01-2014

Hey guys not sure if this has been covered but does anyone know the best way to get around this requirement to have a departing ticket from the Phils when entering for an indefinite stay? Is there a good way to have a ticket or itinerary to show without actually having to buy one ie a refundable ticket of some sort?
It seems a royal pain in the ass especially if one plans to extend the Visa!

The Philippines thread - Kaebs - 07-02-2014

Just arrived in Davao and all I had to show was a print out of my ticket and I was allowed through, lol, didn't even have to buy a visa bt a myt get 1 just in case. I rate u must have a refundable ticket and buy a 6 month visa before you arrive here

The Philippines thread - Ladoo - 07-02-2014

There is a local liqueur made from Calamansi, which is basically a Filipino take on Limoncello. Seems to be in most large supermarkets. Might be worth keeping a bottle in the freezer...

The Philippines thread - MongolianAbroad - 07-02-2014

Quote: (07-01-2014 09:23 PM)mrnomer14 Wrote:  

Hey guys not sure if this has been covered but does anyone know the best way to get around this requirement to have a departing ticket from the Phils when entering for an indefinite stay? Is there a good way to have a ticket or itinerary to show without actually having to buy one ie a refundable ticket of some sort?

Buy a ticket.

Throw ticket away (or use it to visit an additional destination).

It's like $60 or $80.

If you're traveling halfway around the planet, and $80 affects your budget, perhaps you can't afford to travel halfway around the planet.

This question has been asked so many times.

Buy a ticket.

Or take your chances with a fake ticket/itinerary. If it works, you saved $60 or $80, if it doesn't, you won't be allowed to board, and if you don't have enough time to buy a ticket on-site, you may lose the cost of your entire ticket.

Your choice. That's pretty much all there is to it.

The Philippines thread - Global Entry - 07-02-2014

This is actually not really the right answer. I've answered this before, but I guess the poster here didn't read it.

You can make an itinerary on Expedia and print it out or save it to your phone. You can book and cancel (Expedia has a 24 hour cancellation policy for many trips, as do other sites) or not even book, just show the itinerary. Probably more likely that Philippine Airways or Cathay or whomever asks to see it than they ask at immigration. I did get asked once at immigration in Manila, and I've been asked more than once by an airline (PAL).

Or do it Spaniard's way and send the $80 you're throwing away to my paypal account. I can always use an extra 80 dollars, and I can afford to travel around the world. Spaniard, I'll be waiting for your check.

Quote: (07-02-2014 07:17 AM)Spaniard88 Wrote:  

Quote: (07-01-2014 09:23 PM)mrnomer14 Wrote:  

Buy a ticket.

It's like $60 or $80.

If you're traveling halfway around the planet, and $80 affects your budget, perhaps you can't afford to travel halfway around the planet.

This question has been asked so many times.

Buy a ticket.

Or take your chances with a fake ticket/itinerary. If it works, you saved $60 or $80, if it doesn't, you won't be allowed to board, and if you don't have enough time to buy a ticket on-site, you may lose the cost of your entire ticket.

Your choice. That's pretty much all there is to it.

The Philippines thread - MongolianAbroad - 07-02-2014

Quote: (07-02-2014 08:03 AM)G_global Wrote:  

This is actually not really the right answer. I've answered this before, but I guess the poster here didn't read it.

You can make an itinerary on Expedia and print it out or save it to your phone. You can book and cancel (Expedia has a 24 hour cancellation policy for many trips, as do other sites) or not even book, just show the itinerary. Probably more likely that Philippine Airways or Cathay or whomever asks to see it than they ask at immigration. I did get asked once at immigration in Manila, and I've been asked more than once by an airline (PAL).

Or do it Spaniard's way and send the $80 you're throwing away to my paypal account. I can always use an extra 80 dollars, and I can afford to travel around the world. Spaniard, I'll be waiting for your check.

LOL, I stand corrected.

You can do what he suggests. Also, if you don't want to wait until the last minute, you can buy refundable tickets (with a longer time limit than Expedia's 24 hour cancellation policy), some airlines offer them, but they are usually more expensive.

For me, buying the ticket and throwing it away was a simple, risk-free, non-issue, but G Global's right, there's a few other options if you're looking to save the cash.

By the way, immigration did not ask me for it, but the airline (at the departure point) did, so whatever you do, DON'T just ignore the requirement and hope you're not asked for it.

Hehe, don't hold your breath on that check G Global!