Roosh V Forum
Is America really that bad? - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Travel (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Is America really that bad? (/thread-31771.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Is America really that bad? - coolstorybro - 01-05-2014

I've noticed the US gets a lot of bad press around this place and other blogs, but is it really that bad a place to live or is it grass is always greener?

I've had the chance to meet quite a few americans over the years, generally I've liked them all, easy to get along with and quite polite actually. I've also briefly dated/banged a couple of american girls on exchange programs. I found them a lot more feminine and friendly than the local girls.

Now as I am older and find my political and personal values more firm, I find it difficult to accept the mindset of most european nanny states. For that reason, I've dabbled in the idea of moving to the US, maybe to California.

For those of you who've travelled extensively and lived abroad, how do you now compare the USA to other countries?

Is America really that bad? - Yeti - 01-05-2014

It has its issues, like any country. Basically it's a good place to live and raise children, at least compared to most countries. Most countries are shitholes, or are devoid of sufficient opportunities for the best and the brightest.

For all its bullshit, America is a country where a gifted young man can make it big, starting from nothing.

One indicator of a country's value is its immigration. Do more people come to America than leave? The answer is yes, by many degrees. Having been born and raised here, I always wanted to leave, and have spent years overseas.

Having seen the world out there, there are some aspects of my life that were happier outside of the U.S. I had more good friends, and enjoyed going out more (hard to get fucked up partying when you're paranoid of the cops busting you for 10-20).

I decided to come back because overall I could do more with my life here. I'm still working on my overall happiness but basically it was the right decision.

Imagine a bright, intelligent young dude growing up in the slums of Cambodia. He cannot do anything. He will always be destitute.

Imagine that same person in the slums of East LA. He can do anything he wants.

But. If that young dude could move anywhere, I'd refer him elsewhere. Not America. It's good, but there are better places.

Is America really that bad? - jimukr104 - 01-05-2014

America is number 1 for actually stretching your dollar and a 1st class lifestyle..just women and social programming sucks. Its a good place to be a hermit though---land is cheap and so are firearms [Image: smile.gif]
The high prices Europeans and others pay for consumer goods freaks me out.....i guess it pays having china make our shit! Also we have less handouts than most 1st world countries so you at least feel satisfied you aren't being taxed to death supporting some chain smoking liberal lesbian who rather squat in the street.
That being said tO really have power you need to be a WOMEN, midget, a minority, and be gay, and fat.

Is America really that bad? - WestCoast - 01-05-2014

1) never judge a country by citizens visiting the country. Something like 80% of people in the USA don't even have a passport. Most people never even leave the country.
2) why do you want to come here? That's first order of business.

Without a clear answer to #2 you're simply leaving for no reason? So it seems.

Is America really that bad? - Scott Free - 01-05-2014

I've immigrated to the US from the Philippines back in 2001. Comparing life here to the countries I've stayed in, I've decided to make the US my home base as far as earning money, making investments and building businesses. Geo-arbitrage and the blue passport allows me certain advantages when I want to do some traveling.

Also, something interesting to discover was that here, I have no time yet have an abundance of money. In the Philippines, I had plenty of free time, but could not really feel the purchasing power of my Pesos...

In short, I find it nice to work hard here and play hard elsewhere.

Is America really that bad? - Suits - 01-05-2014

The US isn't bad. It's just probably on the lower end of the heap for first world nations.

To be honest, though, I don't have that much experience with different first world nations, so for all I know it is above average.

It isn't terrible, though. Standard of living is acceptable. If you play your cards right, there are plenty of opportunities for a have way decent existence.

In really sucky countries, poor people starve to death.

In America, they are obese, because apparently poor people can't afford healthy food, so the are all fat. Honestly, it isn't much for the eyes, but one could hardly call the US a hell hole.

(And please forgive my embarrassing use of the term 'America.' I just get tired of writing 'the United States' over and over again).

Is America really that bad? - azulsombra - 01-05-2014

Quote: (01-05-2014 02:18 PM)coolstorybro Wrote:  

I've noticed the US gets a lot of bad press around this place and other blogs, but is it really that bad a place to live or is it grass is always greener?

I've had the chance to meet quite a few americans over the years, generally I've liked them all, easy to get along with and quite polite actually. I've also briefly dated/banged a couple of american girls on exchange programs. I found them a lot more feminine and friendly than the local girls.

Now as I am older and find my political and personal values more firm, I find it difficult to accept the mindset of most european nanny states. For that reason, I've dabbled in the idea of moving to the US, maybe to California.

For those of you who've travelled extensively and lived abroad, how do you now compare the USA to other countries?

Wait.........you've found american girls MORE feminine than the local girls?

Are u in Denmark?

Is America really that bad? - Chew - 01-05-2014

I've been thinking about this for a while, and my conclusion is no, it's really not that bad.

America is so diverse in every possible way: geographically, socially, politically. It's a huge melting pot, and because of that people have learned to be tolerant and accepting of one another. The negative attitude towards dark skinned people in South Korea or the FSU would simply not fly in America.

Despite all the horror stories you hear about medical expenses and student loan debt, the standard of living is still very high for the vast majority of Americans. Which means you will probably have an easy life. Compare that to Argentina, which still hasn't recovered from the 2001 economic collapse, or Ukraine, where a few oligarchs control the wealth and the rest live in squalor. Not to mention the unrest going on in the country (discussion of which is surprisingly absent from RVF)--Viktor Yanukovych is walking away from the west, the people take to the streets to protest, and what did he do? Blame John Terry (the Chelsea player).

Is America really that bad? - Veloce - 01-05-2014

The quality of life is an interesting issue.

You can drink the water. There's hot water. The electricity almost never goes out and if it does there's an uproar. People bag your groceries at the grocery store. People are generally polite and smile frequently.

But people work harder and longer. I've been through shitholes in Mexico where on a certain metric, people have a better quality of life. People are free to laze about, cook all day, spend time with family, walk around barefoot. That doesn't really happen in the U.S.

Same as Europe. Western European cities might cost more and tax the shit out of their residents, but people spend more time relaxing, taking 2 hours for lunch, getting coffee, partying until 6AM.

Dude from the Philippines above has it right. Make your money here and live a comfortable life. Live it up somewhere else.

Is America really that bad? - vinman - 01-05-2014

I piss and moan about our foreign policy, our crappy government, and apathy of the public, but unless I was filthy rich I wouldn't move. Maybe after I retire and am living off of my savings I'll immigrate to a country where the age of consent is 20 bucks. But for now I'm staying put and fighting the good fight.
[Image: attachment.jpg16321]   
[Image: attachment.jpg16322]   
[Image: attachment.jpg16323]   
[Image: attachment.jpg16324]   
[Image: attachment.jpg16325]   

Quote: (01-05-2014 03:56 PM)Suits Wrote:  

The US isn't bad. It's just probably on the lower end of the heap for first world nations.

To be honest, though, I don't have that much experience with different first world nations, so for all I know it is above average.

It isn't terrible, though. Standard of living is acceptable. If you play your cards right, there are plenty of opportunities for a have way decent existence.

In really sucky countries, poor people starve to death.

In America, they are obese, because apparently poor people can't afford healthy food, so the are all fat. Honestly, it isn't much for the eyes, but one could hardly call the US a hell hole.

(And please forgive my embarrassing use of the term 'America.' I just get tired of writing 'the United States' over and over again).
lol.....coming from a Canadian? the 2 are very similar ..too many obese in Canada as well. If you took away Montreal not much difference.

Quote: (01-05-2014 04:03 PM)azulsombra Wrote:  

Quote: (01-05-2014 02:18 PM)coolstorybro Wrote:  

Wait.........you've found american girls MORE feminine than the local girls?

Are u in Denmark?
So you escaping NANNY states by running away to California. Wake up call: California is the top nanny state in America.Are plasma tvs still illegal there? lol

Is America really that bad? - Sparks123 - 01-05-2014

Going to Europe made me wish I was European, going to Mexico made me glad I was from the US. I'd say I'm glad I was born and raised in the US but I'd rather be leveraging my American status somewhere else.

Is America really that bad? - philly22 - 01-05-2014

I think for a lot of people the grass is always greener somewhere else.

America has a very good infrastructure. And despite some people complaining the police, education and healthcare are all very solid. Our military has kept us safe and I have little to no fear when I walk outside which you can't say about some other places.

USA....... U S A

P.S If you haven't heard a lot of the girls here are fat

Is America really that bad? - Volk - 01-05-2014

From the times I've visited, I'd say it's not as bad as most people say. There are many cool things worth visiting for. That being said, I'd never live there, no chance in hell I'd put that rope over my neck.

Is America really that bad? - SpecialEd - 01-05-2014

America is very slowly going downhill. It is a political, economic, social and moral decline that will likely follow a similar path to Rome. However, at the moment, it is still the best place to make a living and get ahead in life IF you are: 1.) Smart and 2.) Ambitious. 'Average joes' are suffering in the U.S and things are just going to get worse for them.

My main issue with America is simply cultural. Americans are a boring one-dimensional people.

Quote: (01-05-2014 05:19 PM)SpecialEd Wrote:  

America is very slowly going downhill. It is a political, economic, social and moral decline that will likely follow a similar path to Rome. However, at the moment, it is still the best place to make a living and get ahead in life IF you are: 1.) Smart and 2.) Ambitious. 'Average joes' are suffering in the U.S and things are just going to get worse for them.

My main issue with America is simply cultural. Americans are a boring one-dimensional people.
True....but when Rome fell we entered the dark ages. When America falls civilization is going to go dark for a long time. Even the most likely to come up on top China will actually be the most affected since there prosperity depends on America.
When ever my Russian(technically Ukrainian but womenher age consider themselves Russian)communist mother in law talks about Americas downfall...I remind her that once America stops writing financial aid checks her pension will stop. Then she usually says "i love America"(rolls eyes)

Is America really that bad? - j r - 01-05-2014

Quote: (01-05-2014 05:19 PM)SpecialEd Wrote:  

About what moral decline are you talking?

America was founded by men who bought and sold other human beings like animals. Have you ever heard of the Trail of Tears? Read up on the history of lower Manhattan. The Five Points neighborhood was a living hell of crime and vice. In the Book Gangs of New York, there's a story about a mother who lived in the basement of a Five Points tenement; her child didn't go outside for the first time until he was 12 because it was so dangerous. In San Francisco in the 19th century, there were bars with trap doors for use in kidnapping dudes as smuggling them into ships for impressed service.

When exactly was this supposed moral golden age?

Is America really that bad? - Vicious - 01-05-2014

I love the USA. I can't help coming back. For my next trip next week I've already pipelined two models. I can't imagine where else in the world I'd be able to do that.

Is America really that bad? - Cattle Rustler - 01-05-2014

Only in 'murikkkah:

Can I go to a shopping mall and find a : Mexican restaurant, pizza chain, colombian restaurant, viet sandwich shop, and a mexican butcher shop next to one another. There's an African store in front of those.

Find the most diverse selection of girls

Have a safe and stable life (try that in UA or China when you pissed off a government worker)

Stretch your money, things are cheap and there's variety

Open a business and have a good chance of survival (unlike in Mexico or UA where a code inspector will shake you down for cash).

Most importantly, 'murikah takes people whom's countries have fallen......so if 'murica falls, I blame it on USSR refugees.

Is America really that bad? - Hencredible Casanova - 01-05-2014

Quote: (01-05-2014 05:52 PM)jimukr104 Wrote:  

True....but when Rome fell we entered the dark ages. When America falls civilization is going to go dark for a long time. Even the most likely to come up on top China will actually be the most affected since there prosperity depends on America.

Yeah. This dude from Azerbaijan who runs Caspian Report dropped a few really insightful (and short) clips on this very topic. American dominance on the geopolitical scene seems to be locked down for a while. I think you guys will appreciate this analysis. At least the ones who are grounded in reality.

Is America really that bad? - loveblondes - 01-05-2014

What I have noticed in murrica.. there is more quality than many would like to admit, however the social dynamics sucks, and in result of that many of those women turn you off since the first time they open their mouth.

American girls talk way too much, are always extremely bussines oriented and perceive everything as a deal, contract or opportinity to take advantage on you.. there is hardly any genuine smile, curiosity approach or piece of real charm left among then.. the difference when comparing with those in europe, asia,etc women outside the anglosphere is abysmal.

Is America really that bad? - speakeasy - 01-05-2014

I don't think it's bad. It's too big of a country to generalize on quality of life. Best things in my opinion:

1) Law and order. No bribing judges or getting shaken down by cops. If there's an emergency, the police show up. If a pipe breaks and sewage is seeping into the street, someone will fix it within a day. No non-emergency blackouts. If a company does something negligent that causes you harm, you can sue them. People drive well and orderly compared to most countries where traffic laws are merely suggestions.

2) People are generally friendly. Even if it is superficial, most people know how to be polite and will say hello if you walk by them on the street.

3) Variety of geography and weather. If you hate the cold you can move south. If you hate the humidity of the south, you can move to the southwest.

4) Cheap and convenient consumer goods. When I'm abroad I'm astounded at how much even a pair of Levi jeans go for. God-forbid your camera get stolen and you need to buy a new one, be prepared to pay double to replace whatever model you have. There's a Walmart superstore down the street, I can buy everything from a 70" TV to guns to pet supplies, to medicine under one roof. And pick up a subway sandwich on my way out the door. I'm still not sure what to think about that, but can't beat it for convenience.

5) Less business red tape. Good for the economy.

6) Property prices are pretty reasonable outside of Tier-1 cities. Sure property may be cheaper abroad but only because you are buying in USD. They are not cheap to the locals making $1000 a month.

7) Safety. Americans are more paranoid of crime than they ought to be. Unless you are walking around the projects of Camden or Detroit you have a very low chance of getting murdered by someone randomly. We hear a lot about gun deaths in America, but most of them are not the sensational news stories like random mass massacres. It's usually shit going down in the hood between gangs or drug turf. Easily avoidable. It's also safe from external threat for the most part. No country will be invading us anytime soon.

8) Relatively sane political climate. We have two major parties, one center left and one center right, although to European eyes they are far-right and moderate right. While we complain that there's not much difference between the two, that's a blessing and a curse. In Europe you may have parties that are practically Nazis and one that is Communist and they have to form coalitions to get things done. Yikes. So we may seem stagnant and radical change rarely comes here, but the plus side is that we are politically stable and you don't have to worry about some lunatic with his finger on the red button.

Despite all this, I tend to have the most fun when I'm visiting other countries. Maybe because I'm in "vacation mode" and everything is fresh and interesting. People visiting America for the first time feel the same way when they come here.

My major gripe is the business-first "live to work" culture. I prefer "work to live". And too many people define themselves by their occupation and how much money they make. I went to a mariachi bar with some friends in Mexico City and got in a conversation with a very friendly guy next to our table. He asked what I do and I told him, and I asked what he did and he says that he's a shoe shiner, but he said it with a level of dignity. In America a shoe shiner would be disrespected and nobody would want to admit to being one. But there, maybe there's just a different attitude and people respect all workers regardless of prestige. Our live to work culture is reflected in how little paid vacation time Americans get and the guilt Americans feel about even taking the vacation time they are legally owed by their employer. To say you took a month off work is almost shameful here, like you are lazy or something, and long vacations are for after you retire. I hate that about our culture.

Second major gripe of course is the lack of demure, traditionally feminine women. A hate unrefined, raucous, ball-busting women with hard mannerisms. And we seem to have them aplenty here. A lot of the women are just plain ghetto and revel in being that way. Even people with money often like to feign being ghetto.

Quote: (01-05-2014 08:13 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

I don't think it's bad. It's too big of a country to generalize on quality of life. Best things in my opinion:

1) Law and order. No bribing judges or getting shaken down by cops. If there's an emergency, the police show up. If a pipe breaks and sewage is seeping into the street, someone will fix it within a day. No non-emergency blackouts. If a company does something negligent that causes you harm, you can sue them. People drive well and orderly compared to most countries where traffic laws are merely suggestions.

2) People are generally friendly. Even if it is superficial, most people know how to be polite and will say hello if you walk by them on the street.

3) Variety of geography and weather. If you hate the cold you can move south. If you hate the humidity of the south, you can move to the southwest.

4) Cheap and convenient consumer goods. When I'm abroad I'm astounded at how much even a pair of Levi jeans go for. God-forbid your camera get stolen and you need to buy a new one, be prepared to pay double to replace whatever model you have. There's a Walmart superstore down the street, I can buy everything from a 70" TV to guns to pet supplies, to medicine under one roof. And pick up a subway sandwich on my way out the door. I'm still not sure what to think about that, but can't beat it for convenience.

5) Less business red tape. Good for the economy.

6) Property prices are pretty reasonable outside of Tier-1 cities. Sure property may be cheaper abroad but only because you are buying in USD. They are not cheap to the locals making $1000 a month.

7) Safety. Americans are more paranoid of crime than they ought to be. Unless you are walking around the projects of Trenton or Detroit you have a very low chance of getting murdered by someone randomly. We hear a lot about gun deaths in America, but most of them are not the sensational news stories like random mass massacres. It's usually shit going down in the hood between gangs or drug turf. Easily avoidable. It's also safe from external threat for the most part. No country will be invading us anytime soon.

Despite all this, I tend to have the most fun when I'm visiting other countries. Maybe because I'm in "vacation mode" and everything is fresh and interesting. People visiting America for the first time feel the same way when they come here.

My major gripe is the business-first "live to work" culture. I prefer "work to live". And too many people define themselves by their occupation and how much money they make. I went to a mariachi bar with some friends in Mexico City and got in a conversation with a very friendly guy next to our table. He asked what I do and I told him, and I asked what he did and he says that he's a shoe shiner, but he said it with a level of dignity. In America a shoe shiner would be disrespected and nobody would want to admit to being one. But there, maybe there's just a different attitude and people respect all workers regardless of prestige. Our live to work culture is reflected in how little paid vacation time Americans get and the guilt Americans feel about even taking the vacation time they are legally owed by their employer. To say you took a month off work is almost shameful here, like you are lazy or something, and long vacations are for after you retire. I hate that about our culture.

Second major gripe of course is the lack of demure, traditionally feminine women. A hate unrefined, raucous, ball-busting women with hard mannerisms. And we seem to have them aplenty here.

Agreed...but we have millions of gov't jobs for those who want to work to live and have loads of vacation time.....its really a 2 class system. I have worked both and I prefer gov't. If you have a gov't job it gotta be the closest thing to how communism was meant to be like lol.
a. no one fires you
b. salary paid on time
c. vacation is more and taken
d.retire young and watch the corporate bees work to they drop.

Is America really that bad? - Pokerbaby - 01-05-2014

It's all relative...USA is like paradise to me when I visit. I live in Toronto. I am firmly convinced that Toronto is the worst 1st world city in the world for a guy to live in. I go to Toronto -specific discussion forums and say this..but they just accuse me of trolling.

Take the worst features of any major North American or European city.

1) The women are stuck up like LA, probably worse.
2) The weather stinks like Chicago.
3) It's expensive with high taxes like Western Europe.
4) Puritanical anti-smoking, restrictive drinking (buy beer at designated beer stores only).
5) The food sucks too. You wouldn't think so because there are so many fat Canadians (and Americans). The irony of this world is that the better the food the fitter the people. Can't explain why.