Roosh V Forum
Low-Carb Lifestyle - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Low-Carb Lifestyle (/thread-3146.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Low-Carb Lifestyle - kerouac - 12-08-2010

I've been on a low-carb diet for over a week now and I'm dropping weight like a mofo. I started at around 179 lb and I'm down to 173 already.

Right now my diet basically consists of a lot of meat (chicken, beef, bacon), eggs, certain veggies (non starchy), and I drink a lot of water. Also, no sugar whatsoever. Also, I cook all of this in either butter, olive oil or canola oil.

I wake up in the mornings with raging boners, which I take as a sign of health. I have a ton of natural energy, and my taste for sugars/bread is fading. Since it's a high protein diet, and I do exercises to maintain my muscle mass, and I drink a lot of water, I'm sure most of the weight loss is due to fat being burned.

I'm going through ketosis which for the most part is an interesting experience. There's a slight metallic taste on my tongue and there's also the "keto breath" but if you drink plenty of water and eat celery that kind of goes away.

If any of you are also going through some sort of regimen or diet, please post up some info. I'd be interested in reading about what you guys are doing.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - Invictus - 12-08-2010

This sounds like a Paleo-diet? Was it also you who followed T. Ferris' "Slow-Carb Diet"? Interesting that you're including animal fats like bacon and eggs.

Got any good recipes for how to make veggies exciting? How often do you exercise? No drousiness?

Low-Carb Lifestyle - kerouac - 12-08-2010

I'm actually following Atkins for now, but I think all low carb diets (atkins, south beach) are all basically the same during the first two weeks. The first two weeks in the "induction phase" you basically limit yourself to 20g of net carbs (net carbs = total carbs - dietary fiber). The first three days were pretty hard because I had to get used to it all but now it's pretty simple.

I think I'm going to switch over to something like this next week after I'm done with the induction period.

Right now I don't really feel weird at all on the diet. The only annoyance is that I can't eat out as much as I would like, because low-carb dining choices are pretty slim (outside of sashimi, steak, fish, etc).

Low-Carb Lifestyle - Invictus - 12-08-2010

Man, that shit will have a girl wretching if she swallows.

What about fruit?

Low-Carb Lifestyle - Biz - 12-08-2010

Are you over weight looking to burn just fat? Because a low carb diet isn't the best choice for gaining muscle..

Also from reading your post "butter, olive oil or canola oil". ....I would cut out the canola oil and butter...extra virgin olive oil is a great source of mono fats which is key.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - speakeasy - 12-08-2010

I'm on the eat whatever I want but in moderation diet.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - Duke Castile - 12-08-2010

If you're having bad breath from the ketosis try eating parsley, it will help a lot.

If you can afford it, use coconut oil to cook your foods, it makes everything taste awesome and the oil isn't damaged by the heat like other oils that turn toxic.

Fruit is going to be high in fructose which is essentially sugar even if it isn't refined, your body still reacts similarly to it. You should keep that to a minimum but it's still better than refined and complex carbs. I've found that eating fruit first in a meal is better for digestion. Otherwise it sits on top of the other food and ferments causing gas.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - raliv - 12-09-2010

I did Keto diet for 12 weeks. It is the same as an Atkins diet except you can "carb up" on the weekends.

While I cut weight like a mofo, I put it all back on. It is very hard to maintain and being in Ketosis is not exactly good for your heart. I hated every week of Keto. No energy and a jittery feeling.

The difference between this and Paleo Diet is on Paleo Diet you eat fruits but can't eat dairy products.

I did Paleo Diet for a week (it was hard to stay with the diet during exam week) and I LOVED it. I felt like a caveman. Tons of energy.

I am going to start an extended Paleo Diet in January. Can't wait.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - subutai - 12-09-2010

I'm on the Paleo diet but have oatmeal and sweet potatoes as recovery meals after MMA work-outs. I also don't hold back on eating all kinds of vegetables along with my eggs, fish, and meat.

I dropped 15 pounds at least and am in the best shape of my life. The daily MMA training also helps.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - Invictus - 12-09-2010

You guys really make it sound like you were all fat butter-balls when you started these diets? People are throwing double-digits around like it's nobody's business.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - kerouac - 12-09-2010

Quote: (12-09-2010 02:24 AM)Invictus Wrote:  

You guys really make it sound like you were all fat butter-balls when you started these diets? People are throwing double-digits around like it's nobody's business.

Na, i was never a butterball, but I've never had low enough body fat to see a 6 pack so I thought I'd give it a try.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - Invictus - 12-09-2010

Am rooting for you, kerouac. The elusive six-pack, handy tool to unleash torrents of bodily fluids through gina-ducts on any beach.

Good job starting early, too.

What info/resources did you use to get started?

Low-Carb Lifestyle - subutai - 12-09-2010

Six packs are pretty tough. I can get one but then, I end up with the frame of a little boy because it's tough for me to keep muscle mass when I cut that much. I had a fairly visible six pack when I had cut down to 145-150 pounds.

I went back up to 155-160 pounds and feel a lot better and stronger, but am no longer defined with the six pack.

Keep in mind, I'm still eating fairly clean, lots of protein, and doing Muay Thai & MMA 4x a week.

A lot of it is also being blessed with good genetics, not a lot of excess skin, and having kept the stomach tight when you were young. The fat cells get inflated far more easily when present, versus when they were never there to begin with.

Here's a really good tip: drink 4-5 glasses of green tea per day combined with your daily cardio. That'll boost fat loss directly on your stomach by 50%.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - docsedated - 12-15-2010

Quote: (12-09-2010 06:01 PM)subutai Wrote:  

Six packs are pretty tough. I can get one but then, I end up with the frame of a little boy because it's tough for me to keep muscle mass when I cut that much. I had a fairly visible six pack when I had cut down to 145-150 pounds.

I went back up to 155-160 pounds and feel a lot better and stronger, but am no longer defined with the six pack.

@ Subutai : I am basically in the same wt range as you, Dropped from 160 to 147 pounds , now well defined but want to have more muscle mass.

Question for everyone : How do you balance losing fat and builiding muscle mass at the same time or do u set goal to lose fat first and then gain muscle.

Right now I am on low carb , high protein diet almost 100-120 grams of protein a day, do I need more ?, currently workout and cardio 4-5 x a week.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - rudebwoy - 12-15-2010

If you want to gain muscle then you are doing too much cardio. I say bulk up and then lose the weight that you want.

Not to be rude but 147 pounds is a little light for a man.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - Biz - 12-15-2010

Quote: (12-15-2010 09:39 PM)docsedated Wrote:  

Quote: (12-09-2010 06:01 PM)subutai Wrote:  

@ Subutai : I am basically in the same wt range as you, Dropped from 160 to 147 pounds , now well defined but want to have more muscle mass.

Question for everyone : How do you balance losing fat and builiding muscle mass at the same time or do u set goal to lose fat first and then gain muscle.

Right now I am on low carb , high protein diet almost 100-120 grams of protein a day, do I need more ?, currently workout and cardio 4-5 x a week.

you need more carbs, carbs are not the enemy...good (complex) carbs not bad (simple) carbs.

you need more protein, 100-120 grams a day @ 147lbs isn't enough, up it to 1.5grams of protein per lb. per day

ease up on the cardio a bit, if your diet is right and you are moving weights hard enough you will burn the fat

Low-Carb Lifestyle - Duke Castile - 12-16-2010

You guys have got to stop trying to train like bodybuilders. Those guys look "good" for a very short period of time, the rest of the time they look like fat boys.

You have to start training where your whole body is incorporated into the workout and your cardio comes from runs and lifting intensely. Until you do that, your chest on mondays, back and shoulders on weds and legs on fridays workouts aren't going to get you near your goals. You're gonna keep looking like a puffy guy who does bench with chicken legs and a hint of abs underneath that layer of fat.

The mma workouts are great, but you won't get ripped just doing that because that's not what you're training your body to do.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - Biz - 12-16-2010

Quote: (12-16-2010 04:49 AM)Fisto Wrote:  

You guys have got to stop trying to train like bodybuilders. Those guys look "good" for a very short period of time, the rest of the time they look like fat boys.

You have to start training where your whole body is incorporated into the workout and your cardio comes from runs and lifting intensely. Until you do that, your chest on mondays, back and shoulders on weds and legs on fridays workouts aren't going to get you near your goals. You're gonna keep looking like a puffy guy who does bench with chicken legs and a hint of abs underneath that layer of fat.

The mma workouts are great, but you won't get ripped just doing that because that's not what you're training your body to do.

95% of people that workout will most likely never see good results regardless of all the info they have read or recieved.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - JayMillz - 12-18-2010

Quote: (12-16-2010 04:49 AM)Fisto Wrote:  

I agree. First of all, the pros in the mags are all on roids. Second of all, the eat like pigs in the off season and then cut weight for shows. A better look to me is an mma look or maybe like TO. I stop lifting a few years ago. Now I swim, do yoga, bike, climb, and I work out with stability balls which work your core. Try laying horizontal with a ball under your ankles and another ball under your chest so you can do pushups. Exercises like this tense up your whole body and tighten your core. Even guys repin 315 on the bench have trouble with exercises like this. Only cardio machine I do in the gym in the stairmaster. Try that on level 10 for an hour.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - JayMillz - 12-18-2010

1 more thing. As crazy as it sounds, I dance a lot of salsa which is also a great form of exercise as well as a great way to hold large quantities of beautiful women in your arms while burning calories. All of this cross training is better than being a meat head in the gym. As far as low carbs, I think it depends on the time of day and how many calories u burn throughout the day. My body will adjust to low carbs so I tend to ascribe more to confusing my body by switching up.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - GrumpStar - 12-19-2010

Kerouac, low-carb, high-protine diets are mainly bullshit and VERY, VERY unhealthy. The weight loss you've seen is simply fluid loss which is to be expected when starting this type of diet. There are two different types of carbs. Complex carbs are metabolized through a different set of biochemical pathways in the body and do not turn into sugar (and subsequently fat) like simple carbohydrates. Eating complex carbs will actually help you LOSE weight!

I would suggest a book called "The China Study" for a guide on losing weight while maintaining good nutrition. They goal is to loose weight AND gain muscle through exercise.

The three basic rules of thumb (which Roosh touched on in one of his teddy-bear videos) are:

* "Eat REAL food (ZERO processed shit), not too much (only until you stop feeling hungry)"
* "Eat a whole-foods, plant-based, oil free diet" (Google "vegan food pyramid")
* "constant pressure over time (you must be committed and STICK WITH IT)"

There is a very good set of YouTube videos outlining The China Study and various other books written by actual nutritional scientists from major research institutions (Not MD's trying to make money by pushing quick fixes, a.k.a. Atkins). If you follow this nutritional plan in combination with weight lifting, you'll loose a bunch of weight and get MUCH stronger and bigger. I'd suggesting seeing a personal training once every two weeks to get you started with the lifting.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - Duke Castile - 12-19-2010

Jaymillz,

I'm looking to get into Salsa dancing and have no idea how to start. I found some "schools" online here in vegas but still don't know how to gage which is better....

Low-Carb Lifestyle - Entropy4 - 12-19-2010

Low carb is amazing. I tried a low-fat diet for almost a year and struggled to lose 20 lbs or so. Then I switched to low carb and lost 15 lbs in 2-3 months. It was amazing. Never felt better either.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - JayMillz - 12-19-2010

Quote: (12-19-2010 03:52 PM)Fisto Wrote:  

Jaymillz,

I'm looking to get into Salsa dancing and have no idea how to start. I found some "schools" online here in vegas but still don't know how to gage which is better....

I would start with the Sin City Salseros since they run the salsa congress for Las Vegas which is July 4 weekend. Post your question about Vegas in these 2 salsa forms http://www.salserosweb.com this is westcoast based and also http://www.salsaforums.com which is more global. Hopefully someone on one of these forums can help. I'm on the eastcoast so I don't have personal info about Vegas. Salsa is the bomb though so def give it a shot. I'm just finishing dancing 3 hours in NY and I pulled a Latina and a Japanese babe while salsa dancing today [Image: smile.gif]

Low-Carb Lifestyle - Duke Castile - 12-19-2010

U the man. Thx

I'm def going to learn.