Roosh V Forum
Happier than Billionaires - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Travel (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Happier than Billionaires (/thread-31324.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Happier than Billionaires - JayMillz - 12-19-2013

Happier than Billionaires - Patriarch - 12-19-2013

Fucking A+

I needed to see this. Only a few minutes in

Happier than Billionaires - buja - 12-19-2013

Excellent. Thanks for posting...

Happier than Billionaires - Menace - 12-19-2013

They look better older than younger.

Happier than Billionaires - Tail Gunner - 12-19-2013

Nice video. It shows the benefits of thinking outside the box -- or even not thinking like the average person.

But Costa Rica is not the place to do it. It is the most expensive Latin American country in which to live. You are certainly not going to find $150 houses to rent (unless you are extremely lucky and know someone looking for a permanent caretaker).

Happier than Billionaires - Sparks123 - 12-19-2013

Very inspiring. The show seems to have a very strong Latin American bent, I'd be interested in seeing some episodes on Europe and Asia, but it's good to watch a show of real people pursuing their dreams instead of all the crap that the media usually shows.

Happier than Billionaires - bacon - 12-19-2013

I watched this several months ago. I liked this because it shows how a simple life abroad can be the change of pace some people need to find happiness. I think costa rica is a good starting point for middle aged americans with little experience abroad to get their feet wet since there are many other gringos, lots of english and the amenities are close to first world for central america.

Happier than Billionaires - bacon - 12-19-2013

Quote: (12-19-2013 10:56 PM)Sparks123 Wrote:  

Very inspiring. The show seems to have a very strong Latin American bent, I'd be interested in seeing some episodes on Europe and Asia, but it's good to watch a show of real people pursuing their dreams instead of all the crap that the media usually shows.

The target audience is americans and the main theme of these expat shows is selling their audience on the cost of living savings abroad( live on the ocean for 400 dollars a month, 5 dollar resturant meals and 300 dollars for a live in maid etc). They have trouble selling europe because its too expensive and asia is too far away for old american couples being away from friends and family. But latin america is cheap and close to home so it is the go to place for these type of shows.

Happier than Billionaires - Christian McQueen - 12-19-2013

Great share OP. +1.

Happier than Billionaires - Hencredible Casanova - 12-19-2013

Costa Rica was one of my first forays into Latin America. I like it there, but I like Panama even more. Those two places are some of the best for retirement, whether earlier or later.

Happier than Billionaires - Merenguero - 12-19-2013

Quote: (12-19-2013 11:05 PM)bacon Wrote:  

Quote: (12-19-2013 10:56 PM)Sparks123 Wrote:  

The target audience is americans and the main theme of these expat shows is selling their audience on the cost of living savings abroad( live on the ocean for 400 dollars a month, 5 dollar resturant meals and 300 dollars for a live in maid etc). They have trouble selling europe because its too expensive and asia is too far away for old american couples being away from friends and family. But latin america is cheap and close to home so it is the go to place for these type of shows.

I saw a statistic once that a pretty high percentage of Americans who relocate to Costa Rica leave within the first year. If I find the link to that statistic, I will post it. There are, of course, people who move there, are extremely happy, and stay there. As shown by multiple forum members here including patron and Bacon, many Americans move to Latin America and stay there.

Happier than Billionaires - Hencredible Casanova - 12-19-2013

Quote: (12-19-2013 11:05 PM)bacon Wrote:  

Exactly. One can fly from either coast of the US to Costa Rica in less time than it takes to fly to the opposite US coast.

Costa Rica is pretty gringoed out, even on the more desolate Caribbean coast. I met tons of expats there just chillin hard. Some would have some kind of business, like a resto or coffee shop. But some didn't do shit. You can find whatever type of lifestyle comfort you're willing to pay for. If you want a house near the jungle or ocean, you can find a modest one to live in with throwaway money. If you want something more akin to what you have in the US, then one of the suburbs of San Jose (where the US ambassador lives), is probably more to your liking.

But the good thing is it's close to home and the culture isn't too foreign the way it is in, say, South America. Also, in Panama, where it's not as gringoed out as CR, you have international banks and other amenities for doing business. Panama City has amazing infrastructure to live a nice expat lifestyle.

This clip shows a bachelor corp lawyer from NY who quit everything to move to Panama. He actually first went to Bocas del Toro (like I did) and then quit his gig on Wall Street with a phone call to his job from down there.

Happier than Billionaires - Vacancier Permanent - 12-19-2013

Loving this! Thanks for sharing it!
The one quote that stuck in my mind from this video was when the guy said: "everybody is over weight, everybody is miserable, everybody is fighting with their spouse, what's different about you? What should you be happy? Be miserable like the rest of us". This is the perverse sheep mentality that dominates nowadays. And you'd have to be very strong willed to go against the sheep mentality.

Happier than Billionaires - Merenguero - 12-19-2013

Quote: (12-19-2013 10:02 PM)Menace Wrote:  

Agreed. I think this guy started hitting the weights and the lady started doing cardio after they got married. It seems like far too often those things happen in reverse order.

Happier than Billionaires - Tail Gunner - 12-19-2013

Quote: (12-19-2013 11:30 PM)Merenguero Wrote:  

I saw a statistic once that a pretty high percentage of Americans who relocate to Costa Rica leave within the first year.

It is a little known act that about one-third of the immigrants to the U.S. went back home prior to 1960. What happened after 1960? Welfare payments -- to just about everyone for just about anything.

Happier than Billionaires - Chaos - 12-20-2013

Jesus christ. I shouldn't have watched this.
I'm looking outside my window and all I see is mixed rain and snow showers.
Get's bright at 10:15 am and it's pitch black again at 2:30pm.
I need to get the hell out of here..

Happier than Billionaires - Midlands Man - 12-20-2013

All credit to the Amercian couple for changing their lifestyle and dropping out of the rat race. Both seem really happy, in good shape and are not chasing materialistic things.

For a western woman she also seemed to be a really nice person, - a rare find these days.

Happier than Billionaires - Neo - 12-20-2013

Great post, very inspiring.

I think a lot of us on this board are aspiring to live a lifestyle like this.

The thing is most people don't understand it. When I talk to others they think I'm crazy. They go on and on about how so many immigrants want to come to the US. That's their 'proof' that the US is the best place to live.

I remember being a kid and having religious people tell me they had a 'calling' to enter their faith. I never really understood it. But for me it's the same feeling...a call to action, something inside me that can't be ignored...just knowing totally that I haven't found my place.

Happier than Billionaires - Clunge - 12-20-2013

They should do a "6 months later" video, where Rob realised that he's dating down, is screwing loads of chicks, and writing a book called "Bang Costa Rica"

Happier than Billionaires - Patriarch - 12-20-2013

The only thing I didn't like about this video is how the couple seems to only associate with other expats.

Happier than Billionaires - buja - 12-20-2013

Quote: (12-19-2013 10:37 PM)Tail Gunner Wrote:  

Nice video. It shows the benefits of thinking outside the box -- or even not thinking like the average person.

But Costa Rica is not the place to do it. It is the most expensive Latin American country in which to live. You are certainly not going to find $150 houses to rent (unless you are extremely lucky and know someone looking for a permanent caretaker).

Agreed.
Costa Rica is too expensive and crime is higher than most other places in Latin America.

But it works for them.

Happier than Billionaires - Clunge - 12-20-2013

Quote: (12-20-2013 12:19 PM)Sweet Pea Wrote:  

The only thing I didn't like about this video is how the couple seems to only associate with other expats.

As an expat I understand it can be hard to make local friends, your bankroll is often many times higher, you are culturally very different, religion etc

Quote: (12-20-2013 12:19 PM)Sweet Pea Wrote:  

Yeah, it seemed that way but they did try out some Spanish with the vendor though which is much more than most 'Muricans would do.

For the best info about the good, bad, ugly, and great of living in Latin America as an expat listen to the podcasts here at...

http://expatwisdom.com/

Happier than Billionaires - eradicator - 12-20-2013

Quote: (12-19-2013 11:38 PM)Merenguero Wrote:  

Quote: (12-19-2013 10:02 PM)Menace Wrote:  

Agreed. I think this guy started hitting the weights and the lady started doing cardio after they got married. It seems like far too often those things happen in reverse order.

yeah, i think it is a combination of having less stress in their lives and more time to work out.