Roosh V Forum
Filling foods - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Filling foods (/thread-30085.html)

Pages: 1 2

Filling foods - CaliforniaSupreme - 11-15-2013

RVF,
Need some suggestions on low-carb, preferably protein-rich foods that keep you filled up.

Thx

Filling foods - Vroom - 11-15-2013

Quote: (11-15-2013 01:12 AM)CaliforniaSupreme Wrote:  

RVF,
Need some suggestions on low-carb, preferably protein-rich foods that keep you filled up.

Thx

I have ~150g of mixed nuts (peanuts and cashews mainly, with almonds, walnuts, pecans thrown in) each morning for breakfast, and it keeps me pretty well satisfied until lunchtime. There'd be around 30 grams of protein in that.

Quote: (11-15-2013 01:27 AM)Vroom Wrote:  

Quote: (11-15-2013 01:12 AM)CaliforniaSupreme Wrote:  

RVF,

Thx

I have ~150g of mixed nuts (peanuts and cashews mainly, with almonds, walnuts, pecans thrown in) each morning for breakfast, and it keeps me pretty well satisfied until lunchtime. There'd be around 30 grams of protein in that.

I'm eating a crap ton of nuts right now, but it still burns so fast! For example, I had 8 scrambled eggs with pepper and cheese and 2 handfuls of walnuts and almonds for breakfast, and I was hungry in 2 hours. Argh.

Filling foods - FretDancer - 11-15-2013

For satiety high in protein foods, you might want to eat fattier cuts of high protein foods. A good part of fat is that helps with satiety. You might want to eat salmon, tuna, beef, etc.

Filling foods - Handsome Creepy Eel - 11-15-2013

Quote:Quote:

I had 8 scrambled eggs with pepper and cheese and 2 handfuls of walnuts and almonds for breakfast, and I was hungry in 2 hours...

Are you 10 ft. tall by any chance? If I ate just scrambled eggs with cheese and a side of walnuts for every meal, 8 eggs would last me two days instead of just one meal.

Not hating, just honestly stunned by this amount of food. I'm a small guy, admittedly, but I'd expect the food intake difference to be double at most, maybe-maybe triple if seriously bulking. But times 8??? Holy shit.

[Image: mindblown.gif]

Filling foods - Emancipator - 11-15-2013

^^^ Teenager appetite.

Filling foods - Hades - 11-15-2013

I eat six or eight eggs in a sitting and I'm hungry after a short while. It just seems like eggs are not terribly filling.

OP, just pile stuff on those eggs. Slice up a bunch of mushrooms and onions and sauté that in coconut oil, set it aside, cook your eggs, and pile it (along with a lot of cheese) on top.

Drain and nuke some canned tuna and throw that on the eggs too. Tuna and eggs seems gross but it's not bad. I usually 'pan sear' and pepper it heavily first though. It gets rid of the ass taste that seems to accompany nearly all brands of tuna I've tried. You might have significantly better luck with canned mackerel - that shit is oily and delicious, even the chinese brands I've eaten that probably ate lead sinkers and old computer parts while they were alive. Tuna, mackerel, sardines, etc; are all pretty low in mercury so eating one serving of that a week should be no problem.

Cheese (in quantities) is extremely filling. Salt it to taste.

To be honest, the original post itself has me confused. If something is low carb but still has adequate calories, it's filling by nature. Both protein and fat rich foods have no trouble satisfying hunger. Look up an Atkin's food list and see what you can eat, it's all filling.

Filling foods - RexImperator - 11-15-2013

Beef shoulder braised in red wine

Filling foods - WestIndianArchie - 11-15-2013

Stop fucking around and get you a rib eye.

All this pussyfooting with Turkey, chicken breast, pork tenderloin, beans, nuts, shrubs and berries. ..

Keep it real. Eat a steak

Filling foods - Isaac Jordan - 11-15-2013

I've been doing a paleo-style high-fat, high-protein, low-carb (<100g/day) diet for the past year now, along with daily intermittent fasting and fasted lifting three times a week, so it's important for me to make sure I get both plenty of protein and nutrients and lots of healthy fats to keep me satiated the rest of the day.

I'm an okay cook, but I tend to view food more as fuel than anything, and I'd rather whip up a healthy, fairly tasty meal quickly than spend lots of time and energy cooking and cleaning up. So, I've basically developed a core set of simple but nutritious meals, and I'll pick two or three out of the group to eat each day depending on how I'm feeling and whether it's a lifting day or not.

FYI, I'm in my mid-twenties, 5'6", 135 pounds. I'm trying to gain muscle/lean mass while keeping my body fat as low as possible, so while it seems like I'm eating a lot, the IF and fasted training sessions have made it very difficult to gain any weight at all.

Meal 1:

Six slices of bacon, pan fried. I'll leave most of the bacon grease in the pan after I take out the bacon and then scramble six eggs in it. I'll also normally add some sort of fruit to this, like a whole grapefuit, pomegranate, or bowl of mixed berries.

Meal 2:

My personal favorite. I'll brown a pound of lean ground beef, drain the grease, and then toss in two diced avocados and a diced red/yellow/orange bell pepper. A little salt, cumin, and cayenne pepper for flavoring. Easy, nutrient-dense, high-protein, and a massive amount of calories.

Meal 3:

A big-ass kale or spinach-based salad, to which I'll add several ounces of crumbled goat cheese, a few ounces of walnuts or pecans, a package of blueberries, and some sort of meat. My favorite is to crumble five or six slices of bacon into it, but if I'm lazy I'll rip up some honey-baked ham or store-bought rotisserie chicken. I cover it in a dressing composed of about equal parts raw honey, olive oil, and ACV.

Meal 4:

Half of a rotisserie chicken (or the whole thing if this is my post-work out meal, which it normally is), drizzled in raw honey. I'll microwave a sweet potato for seven or eight minutes (if you wrap it in a moist paper towel and make a few slices in the skin beforehand it should peel right off afterwards), then mash it up with some Kerrygold butter and whipping cream, a tablespoon or two of raw honey and some cinnamon.

In a ziploc bag, I'll add a bunch of asparagus, the juice of half a lemon, some salt and pepper, and two tablespoons of olive oil, rub it all together, then put it on a baking pan (on top of tin foil for easy clean up) and cover it all in parmesan cheese before baking at 350 F for about eight minutes.

Meal 5:

A 12-ounce ribeye, medium rare, topped with two fried eggs and hollandaise sauce. I'll steam some spinach or broccoli and cover it in melted Kerrygold butter as well. Every now and then I'll do salmon instead of steak, and use some hoisin sauce instead of eggs. But I'll up the amount to about 18 ounces of salmon to make up for it.

When possible, I'll visit the local farmers' market to get grass-fed ground beef and pastured eggs and bacon. This ensure that all the animal fat I'm eating is nutrient-dense and has a balanced omega-3/omega-6 profile, unlike most store-bought commercial meat which has been fattened up on corn and soy and is almost entirely omega-6. This gets expensive quickly though, so if you go the store-bought route be sure and take a bunch of fish oil or something to make up for it.

Filling foods - Jaylow - 11-15-2013

First of all, why are you doing low carbs?

There is no good reason to go this route. Carbs do not create fat and you are actually hurting your overall health by lowering your carb intake.

The reason why you are always hungry could is a variety of factors. Sometimes you think you're hungry when you are actually thirsty. Drink more water.

If you eat lots of small/medium sized meals a day try to eat 2-3 bigger meals instead. If I eat 1200 calories in one sitting I won't be hungry for a long time.

Top appetite suppressors: 1) water 2) coffee 3) almonds 4) an apple 5) vegetables. I munch on baby carrots/celery/almonds between meals and it works for me. Make coffee and use milk and splenda, its very filling and costs you almost no calories.

Filling foods - WesternCancer - 11-15-2013

As an appetizer:

[Image: rb-mug-black-coffee-0809-de-medium_new.jpg]
[Image: Belmontcanver2ks20.jpg]

main meal

[Image: PBCBeefRibs-1-4-630.jpg]

and for dessert

[Image: tumblr_mvvckdJD4o1qdqlnso1_1280.png]

Well, from experience, the fastest and most consistent way that I've lost weight was through a low-carb diet. I lose weight very fast, last time I started the diet I lost 7 pounds a week for several weeks until I quit. I'm pretty sure it's from getting a massive calorie deficit with the low carb diet. My current goal is to lose the pounds I've gained since I got lazy with my diet/workout routine. I'm constantly hungry; I love carbs because carb-filled foods taste good and fill me up, but my lack of portion control gets me in trouble. I try to drink a lot of water, I finish a Crystal Geyser gallon jug daily. I'm trying to keep my appetite in check by chewing a little bit of gum when I get hungry. I also drink a lot of coffee during the day, I drink it black so no worries about sugar, etc. I stick to the Atkins Induction and beginning stage food lists, but I still get hungry! I'm 6'2/3 tall, approx 26% BF now, 17 years old, and 190lbs for reference.

I had 7 scrambled eggs for breakfast today (ran out of eggs), rib meat that was left over, a cheese stick scrambled with the eggs, one on it's own, and 2 cups of instant black coffee. Hungry in 2 hours. FML.
I'm not a huge fan of some nuts or homemade salad, either- but I'll eat as much eggs and meat possible.

Do you guys think I have potential to make serious gains? I'd like to build a good amount of muscle and get a military-man style build- decent aesthetics and strong when it matters.

Filling foods - LowerCaseG - 11-15-2013

you might want to mix in some unrefined carbs like oatmeal or lentils.

Filling foods - Checkmat - 11-15-2013

Quote: (11-15-2013 09:46 PM)CaliforniaSupreme Wrote:  

I stick to the Atkins Induction and beginning stage food lists, but I still get hungry! I'm 6'2/3 tall, approx 26% BF now, 17 years old, and 190lbs for reference.

I had 7 scrambled eggs for breakfast today (ran out of eggs), rib meat that was left over, a cheese stick scrambled with the eggs, one on it's own, and 2 cups of instant black coffee. Hungry in 2 hours. FML.
I'm not a huge fan of some nuts or homemade salad, either- but I'll eat as much eggs and meat possible.

Do you guys think I have potential to make serious gains? I'd like to build a good amount of muscle and get a military-man style build- decent aesthetics and strong when it matters.

Things I've noticed:

All 17-year old guys have big appetites and the potential to make serious gains.

Everyone has an opinion on nutrition and weight loss, Atkins, diets blah blah blah. The fat asses I work with will all blab on about diet theory, or tell me that if they fast or don't eat every 3 hours their metabolism will stop.

The best thing to have worked for me is Leangains. Might as well throw my hat into the ring.

To answer your actual OP question, I find that a thick peanut butter, almond milk and chocolate-whey shake sweetened with stevia to be a nice filling treat.

Protein Fluff is very popular in the bodybuilding community for satiety.

[Image: 2012-01-03193904.jpg]

This recipe in particular is ultra-low carb/calorie and very filling. Broccoli is so voluminous compared to it's calorie content that you will chew/eat a lot without eating a lot.
You gotta use real olive oil though. I've tried Pam and it just doesn't cut it.

The Best Broccoli of Your Life

[Image: 3002222717_7990903c38.jpg?v=0]

I'd like to see the physique changes of the posters offering nutrition advice. I know we have privacy concerns--I sure do at least--so it's not like we can just post pics for reference/credibility. I'll say this though, using leangains and training methodology my stats peaked at

5'9"
165lbs
9% bodyfat (visible veins in abs, thighs, legs, arms/shoulders)
Squat 365, 295x9
Bench 260
Deadlift 430, 385x5

Dunno, take it for what it's worth. Just figured you might want to know who is offering you what advice. Low-carb definitely has it's place.

Filling foods - FretDancer - 11-15-2013

Quote: (11-15-2013 03:00 PM)Isaac Jordan Wrote:  

I've been doing a paleo-style high-fat, high-protein, low-carb (<100g/day) diet for the past year now, along with daily intermittent fasting and fasted lifting three times a week, so it's important for me to make sure I get both plenty of protein and nutrients and lots of healthy fats to keep me satiated the rest of the day.

6 meals a day? Screw that...

Quote: (11-15-2013 08:22 PM)Jaylow Wrote:  

First of all, why are you doing low carbs?

There is no good reason to go this route. Carbs do not create fat and you are actually hurting your overall health by lowering your carb intake.

The reason why you are always hungry could is a variety of factors. Sometimes you think you're hungry when you are actually thirsty. Drink more water.

If you eat lots of small/medium sized meals a day try to eat 2-3 bigger meals instead. If I eat 1200 calories in one sitting I won't be hungry for a long time.

Top appetite suppressors: 1) water 2) coffee 3) almonds 4) an apple 5) vegetables. I munch on baby carrots/celery/almonds between meals and it works for me. Make coffee and use milk and splenda, its very filling and costs you almost no calories.

Carbs do not create fat, but exceess carbs stop fat burning and the body focuses on processing the excess carbohydrates. In other words, excess carbs can still make you fat, not by adding fat, but by stopping your body from burning it. This probably the main reason why fatties get actually get fat.

Filling foods - Basil Ransom - 11-16-2013

Eat more.

As for eating vegetables to feel fuller, that's a stupid idea. Your body is telling you it wants more fuel, and you want to stuff it with cardboard? Vegetables aren't fuel. Dairy, meat, oil and starches are.

"Are you 10 ft. tall by any chance? If I ate just scrambled eggs with cheese and a side of walnuts for every meal, 8 eggs would last me two days instead of just one meal."

This isn't a big meal by any means. 3000 calories per day is maintenance level for an active adult male with some muscle. 1000 calories per meal. 8 eggs = 560 calories. The nuts could be three hundred calories though the net calories, due to calories expended digesting them, is a fraction of that. Then two ounces of cheese would be about 200 calories. So you're looking at a total of 900 calories about. That's not even a full meal. If you were trying to bulk, that would be downright paltry. If you're eating 3 times a day, your meal isn't remotely big until it's 1500+ calories.

People in America are just used to getting tons of calories from sugary drinks and desserts. If you cut that stuff out, your meals will look a lot bigger.

To the OP, I'd eat your regular meals and ladle on a ton of fat. Throw several ounces of bufter in the pan, soak starches in tallow, drink a cup of heavy cream, take several spoonfuls of a nut butter, douse everything in olive oil... Whatever it takes. And fiber is your enemy. It makes you feel full without giving you fuel. So you get hungry two hours later. Ditch the cardboard.

If your diet is fattening you currently, then my advice would change. If it isn't your body simply needs more food to flourish.

Filling foods - Isaac Jordan - 11-16-2013

Quote: (11-15-2013 11:51 PM)FretDancer Wrote:  

Quote: (11-15-2013 03:00 PM)Isaac Jordan Wrote:  

6 meals a day? Screw that...

I only eat 2 or 3 meals a day. The meals I listed are just a group from which I'll pick depending on what I'm feeling that day. I've tried the "6 small meals a day/eat every three hours" plan and I agree, not a great strategy.

Filling foods - Libertas - 11-16-2013

Quote: (11-15-2013 10:05 PM)LowerCaseG Wrote:  

you might want to mix in some unrefined carbs like oatmeal or lentils.

Agreed with this. Leaves you very satisfied.

Filling foods - Jaylow - 11-16-2013

Well, from experience, the fastest and most consistent way that I've lost weight was through a low-carb diet. I lose weight very fast, last time I started the diet I lost 7 pounds a week for several weeks until I quit. I'm pretty sure it's from getting a massive calorie deficit with the low carb diet.

This is incredibly unhealthy. You should be losing 5 lbs a month at maximum. Muscle is lost when you lose so much weight as well.

There are thousands of people who cut while eating 200+grams of carbs a day. I was one of them. Carbs have nothing to do with losing or gaining weight, it is the biggest myth in body building.

Filling foods - CaliforniaSupreme - 11-16-2013

Quote: (11-16-2013 01:03 PM)Jaylow Wrote:  

Well, from experience, the fastest and most consistent way that I've lost weight was through a low-carb diet. I lose weight very fast, last time I started the diet I lost 7 pounds a week for several weeks until I quit. I'm pretty sure it's from getting a massive calorie deficit with the low carb diet.

This is incredibly unhealthy. You should be losing 5 lbs a month at maximum. Muscle is lost when you lose so much weight as well.

I know it's terrible, but I just cleaned my diet up and didn't eat crap and it happened.

To everyone else, thanks for the advice- definitely helped me. Trying to rep but it has a daily cutoff.

Filling foods - kosko - 11-17-2013

Quote: (11-16-2013 11:21 AM)basilransom Wrote:  

Eat more.

To the OP, I'd eat your regular meals and ladle on a ton of fat. Throw several ounces of bufter in the pan, soak starches in tallow, drink a cup of heavy cream, take several spoonfuls of a nut butter, douse everything in olive oil... Whatever it takes. And fiber is your enemy. It makes you feel full without giving you fuel. So you get hungry two hours later. Ditch the cardboard.

If your diet is fattening you currently, then my advice would change. If it isn't your body simply needs more food to flourish.

Fibre is a nessary enemy. To many men skimp on it especially in the bodybuilding community. You have to pass junk out of your system. When you don't it just makes your body less effecent long term and exposes it to ailments and fuck ups quicker. Fibre isn't hard to get if you dense carbs and some vegetables. A heavy rye cracker will give you like half your daily requirements.

Filling foods - reaper23 - 11-18-2013

Sweet potato is the best thing

taste good, fill you up, super healthy and give great shits

Filling foods - redpillrage33 - 11-18-2013

Not really a food choice so much as a way to fool your stomach (I stole it from someone for whom it also worked like a charm) - when you feel hungry between meal times and don't want the calories of a snack, have a glass of water with a bit of lemon or lime juice in it. I find it dulls/constricts my appetite w/i 15-20 mins of doing this. Sometimes when cutting I also do this 15-20 mins before the actual meal and this will usually result in me wanting to eat less.

Filling foods - Valentine - 11-19-2013

First, let me dispel a myth.

Carbs Cause Weight Gain?
Low-carb diets often lead to rapid initial weight loss due to the fact that our glycogen (carb) stores become emptied, which also take in 4g of water for every 1g of carbohydrate. The average man's glycogen stores are somewhere around 600g so the first 3kg of weight loss might not even be fat loss at all.

Sustained weight loss on a low-carb diet however is a common occurence and that is mainly because most people cut out their carbohydrate sources which have low satiety:high calorie ratio e.g. chocolate, sweets, crisps and instead replace it with high satiety meats and filling veggies.

Carbs, in and of themselves do not cause weight gain, what matters is 1) the type of carb we eat and 2) how much of it.

How to Really Stay Full
In general, it goes protein > fat > carbohydrate in terms of satiety. Protein keeps you the fullest for the least calories consumed, which is why 250g+ of protein is recommended daily on the Leangains diet. Eat as much of this as you can e.g. tuna, egg whites, low fat cottage cheese, protein fluff.

For weight loss, lean meat such as skinless chicken breasts is going to help you lose weight faster because it's got less fat (and therefore less calories) but it gets old fast. Switch it up to fatty cuts of meat and fish once in a while but poultry like chicken and turkey as well as lean mince etc will keep your calorie intake low.

Vegetables are highly touted as filling foods because despite the fact they are technically carbs, many have so much fibre that stuffing yourself with them will massively curb your appetite e.g. broccoli, kale, spinach, in soups, etc.

Finally, the satiety index/Fullness factor. Google them for a full overview of the most filling foods but the top ones that consistently come up are potatoes, eggs, fish, apples, porridge and beef steak.