Roosh V Forum
The No-Shampoo Challenge - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: The No-Shampoo Challenge (/thread-24366.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

The No-Shampoo Challenge - CelMasc - 01-25-2015

I haven't used shampoo or conditioner for about a year. Coconut oil does everything my hair needs: keeps it from being too dry and gives it a healthy shine. Don't see myself ever going back to shampoo or conditioner now, although it does help that my hair will never be too long.

The No-Shampoo Challenge - Novus - 01-25-2015

I'm tempted to try this out since I started going all natural in other aspects of my life too, the only concern i have is, how I'm supposed to style my hair without using any product. I like having every hair in place and i can't imagine being able to accomplish this with just my natural oils. I will give it a try and report back

The No-Shampoo Challenge - Bear Hands - 01-30-2015

Quote: (01-25-2015 12:04 PM)Novus Wrote:  

I'm tempted to try this out since I started going all natural in other aspects of my life too, the only concern i have is, how I'm supposed to style my hair without using any product. I like having every hair in place and i can't imagine being able to accomplish this with just my natural oils. I will give it a try and report back

You'll be surprised how malleable your hair becomes if you can go a month or two without putting anything but water in it. I can style my hair now first thing in the morning without even getting it wet, though if I want the "every hair in place" look, showering first is best. Those products all simulate the natural oil in your hair, and once your hair can readjust to a natural level of oil production, you won't need to add anything.

The No-Shampoo Challenge - DumbfromBirth - 01-30-2015

Quote:Quote:

Wtf soap? Why would you even use shampoo/soap when your hair is shaved off anyway, I don't get it

My hair grew back and for past month its been decent length.

Why is soap bad? Im not using crappy hotel soap its some moisturizer soap. My hair doesnt smell, looks and feels god and i have no dandruff. So why is soap bad can someone explain in more detail?

The No-Shampoo Challenge - kaotic - 02-02-2015

Hey gents,

For 2 weeks I've washed my hair with warm water, and that's about it. It feels pretty good but oily.

I honestly think at one point i had a pretty bad case of dandruff or minor Seborrheic dermatitis.

The last 2 weeks my scalp feels better, however I do have dandruff still. I used a non sulfur phosphate shampoo with organic/natural ingredients. (I haven't touched this in the last 2 weeks).

How often do you guys use coconut oil ? I read something about baking soda? Any other suggestions ?

The No-Shampoo Challenge - AldoKelevra - 02-03-2015

I tried it out for about a week and a half. I have noticed my hair definitely more natural, and not nearly greasy as I though it would be. It's almost a perfect mixture of grease to non-grease.

I think every 1-3 weeks of washing your hair with shampoo is pretty solid given you work out a lot and sweat or work a job where your hair gets dirt in it.

The No-Shampoo Challenge - Oz. - 02-03-2015

No shampoo for a month now, I have cleaned my hair with a water/baking soda mix once per week, I also put some type of oil that is good for hair on, usually that same day.

Will check back in further down the line

The No-Shampoo Challenge - Special1 - 02-05-2015

what's the point of baking soda? it is still a synthetically, chemical product, no?

The No-Shampoo Challenge - dispenser - 02-05-2015

Quote: (02-05-2015 09:08 AM)Special1 Wrote:  

what's the point of baking soda? it is still a synthetically, chemical product, no?

Well, everything's chemical if you get right down to it.
The difference is that baking soda doesn't coat the hair, or overstimulate the scalp.
You use it to gently scour your hair and scalp, then wash it out. All of it.
It's also edible - it's used in, surprise, baking, and as an alkaline substance, it can cancel out excess stomach acid (indigestion.)
That means it's about as toxic as table salt.
Cheap too.

The No-Shampoo Challenge - michelin - 03-09-2015

Just started the challenge a few weeks ago and good results so far. Just some Baking soda and warm (not hot) water. Will also experiment with some vinegar later on.

Anyone experience here with vinegar?

The No-Shampoo Challenge - Ringo - 04-05-2015

Quote: (01-02-2015 08:34 PM)Ringo Wrote:  

One month in. Hair is soft and shiny.

Dandruff seems under control. Best combo I've found is baking soda + a few drops of tea tree oil.

I've used baking soda and ACV rinse. Hair feels great afterwards, what sucks is the smell of vinegar seems to linger for days.

Still going, but I'm considering going back to shampoo.

I thought it would go away with time, but I still have a lot of dandruff even after using baking soda and tea tree.

Maybe this doesn't work with everyone's scalp?

The No-Shampoo Challenge - Ringo - 04-05-2015

Quote: (03-09-2015 01:55 PM)michelin Wrote:  

Just started the challenge a few weeks ago and good results so far. Just some Baking soda and warm (not hot) water. Will also experiment with some vinegar later on.

Anyone experience here with vinegar?

It works great, but I found the smell to be very unpleasant - maybe it was my imagination, but I could still smell it faintly one or two days later.

The No-Shampoo Challenge - Oz. - 04-05-2015

Yeap I expiremented quite a lot with this and eventually you get diminishing returns.

I now wash my hair with regular shampoo once a week and right after my shower I put on some argan oil on my hair and rub it in my scalp to prevent dryness

I find this to be a lot more reasonable

The No-Shampoo Challenge - Carboneraser - 04-05-2015

For about the past year (when I first heard about the challenge) Ive been using shampoo off and on. I generally go 3 or 4 days without shampoo but often do lengths of 3+ weeks.

My hair always feels healthier when I go without or even since Ive generally reduced how often I use it, but I think appearance is much better for people with longer hair. Since I cut my hair, it tends to look clumpy, dirty and unhealthy.

The No-Shampoo Challenge - Kaywhole - 04-07-2015

Like Mike and a few others, I've been off shampoo for over a year - maybe over two years. My hair isn't greasy and it doesn't stink, it doesn't flake or cause me acne. I get it cut every two months or so. Your miliage may vary but cutting shampoo out had no downsides for me.

The No-Shampoo Challenge - Bushido - 05-28-2015

I've been on this for around 3 months now.

Had no issues until recently, but now I'm experiencing a really itchy scalp all over. So much so that I actually wonder if I have ticks or something. Anyone experienced this? I'm also in a very hot and humid climate right now (Philippines) which might be the contributing factor. Would appreciate any guidance.

The No-Shampoo Challenge - Blackwell - 05-28-2015

I haven't used a drop of shampoo in about 18 months. I condition once a month.

My hair looks incredible, get complements on it all the time and it looks natural and has a nice sheen 24/7. It's easier to mould with product and yeah its just generally never looked better.

I used to shampoo every day and I also had dull mousey lifeless hair. I grew it out and ditched the shampoo and now I have flowing locks like Patrick Bateman. I'd recommend anyone to try it.

The No-Shampoo Challenge - VolandoVengoVolandoVoy - 05-28-2015

I think the no-shampoo challenge is taking a good idea a bit too far when people totally let their hair get nasty and don't use anything on it.

I haven't used shampoo in 6 months now. My hair is perfectly clean and not greasy.

But what I do, is I bought a high quality all natural organic oil bar soap (Dr Bronner's Lavender Castile Bar Soap), and I use it for my whole body including hair.

I also save the left over bits from the bar soap when it gets small and use them for lather for shaving. Seems to work great, no skin irritation.

The No-Shampoo Challenge - Bear Hands - 05-28-2015

This month marks a year for me. Still putting in baking soda pre-shower once a week. What I said before about my hair being healthier and fuller is still true, and my gray hairs are not showing up as much.

The No-Shampoo Challenge - Biz - 05-28-2015

I've been off the poo for about 2.5 years. I use baking soda when I feel like I need it, I've gone weeks without it many times. Once I start to visibly see flake buildup from hairspray use I know it's probably time to wash. I keep my hair fairly short and pretty close on the sides so it's pretty easy, I'm sure guys with longer hair have more problems without the poo.

The No-Shampoo Challenge - luke - 06-25-2015

I used to shampoo everyday. Now I still wash it daily, but cold/warm water only and soda 1-2x week, natural shampoo every 2 weeks. But sometimes my hair are messy and oily
Guys, for those of you with fairly oily hair, what kind of hair product&brand do you use every day (or after washing with water/baking soda)?

The No-Shampoo Challenge - Bear Hands - 06-25-2015

How long have you gone without shampoo? I used to have very oily hair but after a couple months of no shampoo, my hair stopped producing so much oil daily.

The No-Shampoo Challenge - luke - 06-26-2015

Quote: (06-25-2015 01:33 PM)Bear Hands Wrote:  

How long have you gone without shampoo? I used to have very oily hair but after a couple months of no shampoo, my hair stopped producing so much oil daily.

About 2 months. Guess I just have to wait

The No-Shampoo Challenge - Bear Hands - 06-26-2015

If the natural shampoo is making your hair feel the same as regular shampoo, you are only really about 2 weeks in. Your hair responds to having all your natural oils purged by producing a lot of oil to replace it. You may need to wash your hair with only cold water a couple times a day until you naturally adjust.

The No-Shampoo Challenge - Savage - 06-26-2015

Quote: (05-28-2015 02:47 AM)dreambig Wrote:  

I've been on this for around 3 months now.

Had no issues until recently, but now I'm experiencing a really itchy scalp all over. So much so that I actually wonder if I have ticks or something. Anyone experienced this? I'm also in a very hot and humid climate right now (Philippines) which might be the contributing factor. Would appreciate any guidance.

One of my girls in Philippines complains of the same issue if she goes more than a day or two without washing her hair. I guess it could be a side effect of sweating more than usual? I used shampoo less than once a month when over there and never had any problems with an itchy scalp. I did seem to notice my hair falling out a lot more than usual though, I assumed that was something to do with the heat.