Roosh V Forum
The No-Shampoo Challenge - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: The No-Shampoo Challenge (/thread-24366.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

The No-Shampoo Challenge - CarCrashKid - 05-31-2013

Samseau wrote on this topic a while ago and I've started it myself.

The No-Shampoo Challenge

I have a few questions upon reading the article again.
There were more questions that needed an answering. Hopefully others who have done this or Samseau ,himself, can answer them.

Background info:
I'm at the end of week 1.
Usually shower in the morning and then again after the Gym.
During the time between each shower there is little problem but a few hours after the last shower it starts to get a little harder.

Q1 - The itchiness.
How do I remove it or prevent it?

Q2- What does one do about dandruff?
I've found colder showers help with this but do not remove the problem completely. My hair is all right and doesn't produce much but this thread ain't all about me and people living in warmer climates may have a harder time.

Q3- Besides the holy Baking Soda, is there anything else you use on your head?

Also, Would using Shampoo maybe once a week be completely useless in this pursuit?

The No-Shampoo Challenge - n0000 - 05-31-2013

I would recommend trying this. I havn't washed my hair for several months using anything but water and I think my hair is sleeker than before. I did some research and came up with the following:

Quote:Quote:

Older literature cites the fungus Malassezia furfur (previously known as Pityrosporum ovale) as the cause of dandruff. While this species does occur naturally on the skin surface of both healthy people and those with dandruff, in 2007 it was discovered that the responsible agent is a scalp specific fungus, Malassezia globosa,[11] that metabolizes triglycerides present in sebum by the expression of lipase, resulting in a lipid byproduct oleic acid (OA). During dandruff, the levels of Malassezia increase by 1.5 to 2 times its normal level.[2] Penetration by OA of the top layer of the epidermis, the stratum corneum, results in an inflammatory response in susceptible persons which disturbs homeostasis and results in erratic cleavage of stratum corneum cells.[8]

Dandruff can also be a manifestation of an allergic reaction to chemicals in hair gels, sprays, and shampoos, hair oils, or sometimes even dandruff medications like ketoconazole.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandruff

So it seems like dandruff might actually be an allergic reaction to the variety of unnatural chemicals that people bombard their body with on a regular basis or that it disrupts the natural ecosystem that is present on your scalp. The chemicals present in the products have been shown to have negative effects on the body:

SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE Sodium lauryl sulfate is a very strong surfactant that was developed for washing garage floors. The problem is that it denatures protein, and the body is made up of protein. Sodium lauryl sulfate is used in shampoos, toothpaste, lotions and creams. Research shows that it causes damage to the eyes, the cells and the entire body. It can combine with other ingredients in the container and create nitrosamines which cause skin damage and irritation. A dental association in Japan tested sodium lauryl sulfate on bacteria, and found that it is a mutagen which means that it can change the genetics within the cell. In children under six, just the absorption of this ingredient through the scalp every day is enough to prevent their eye proteins from linking up properly. These harmful ingredients are banned in Europe and Central America. Sodium laureth sulfate is also a toxic surfactant (milder but has ether added which is worse) used in shampoos and toothpastes.

Contamination can occur from the cleaning of the plants or from the solvents they use, and most of the products on the market are contaminated. DEA (diethanol amine) is widely used in shampoos, and scientists have been reporting that DEA, whether or not it's a DEA cocamide, mixes with the nitrogen-containing molecule in the same container and creates nitrosamines which get into your body and are carcinogens. Sometimes ingredients which aren't harmful alone may go on to create a formaldehyde or a contaminant. In a recent study, they tested 54 ethoxylated moisturizing ingredients, and found all 54 of them contained exceedingly high levels of 1,4 dioxane which is a powerful xeno-estrogen.

Women today have so many problems with their hormones being out of balance with PMS and menopausal symptoms, and this shouldn't be because it doesn't occur in Third World countries, China or Japan. Menopause is a North American disease and it may just be that we have created it through cosmetic use. We have a major problem with hormone mimickers like xeno-estrogens affecting our endocrine systems. A xeno-estrogen communicates with our cells as if it were an estrogen. Many ingredients in cosmetics have the ability to be a xeno-estrogen. If found in a shampoo, it can lower the sperm count in men! And any exposure between the ages of birth to about six years old can definitely alter a child's hormones.

http://www.consumerhealth.org/articles/d...0303213610

I have recently started to go through and examine all the chemicals in personal care products and food consumed. Many of these chemicals are linked to cancer, symptoms of excessive estrogen and other health problems. It is prudent to try and reduce the amount of chemicals that your body comes into contact with. You also save money by reducing consumption of these products. Imagine how many thousands of dollars a woman spends on beauty products. Replacing even some of these with stuff like coconut oil or good diet would save massive amounts of money and lead to better health outcomes.

The No-Shampoo Challenge - MikeCF - 05-31-2013

Quote: (05-31-2013 11:17 AM)n0000 Wrote:  

So it seems like dandruff might actually be an allergic reaction to the variety of unnatural chemicals that people bombard their body with on a regular basis or that it disrupts the natural ecosystem that is present on your scalp.

I was just about to post the same thing. Sodium laurly sulfate dries out the scalp. Most dandruff is just dry scalp. (There's a more severe form of dandruff called seborrheic dermatitis, but that's another topic. Most guys have dry scalp rather than SD.)

I haven't washed my hair in over 7 months.

I used to use some very fancy stuff that gave my hair a lot of volume. Once I started shaving my head, I didn't need it anymore and stopped washing it altogether.

Now my hair has grown out a little and it's very sheeny and oily. All natural. I don't even use soap or anything for my scalp.

I do use a scalp brush (there are 99 cents at the dollar store or CVS) to stimulate blood circulation through my scalp. This helps prevent hair loss and also prevents residue (dust in the air, dirt, etc) from building up. But I don't use any washing agents.

Coconut oil is also very good for the scalp and gives the hair an amazing sheen. BUT. A little goes a long way. You only need a dime-sized amount or else you'll have oil everywhere.

The No-Shampoo Challenge - germanico - 05-31-2013

This is not easy for me to say out i the open, but I havent used soap or shampoo on my body for more than a year (only to wash my hands and a drop of lather to shave) and my skin has never been softer, healthier, and cleaner.

I clean myself only with water, and ocassionally use a rough sponge to scrub my skin.

I dont smell when I sweat, (I mean, i smell of sweat, but not stinky or unpleasant), and I have received more than a couple "you smell so good" from girls in that time. Very rarely does my skin fees dry. I dont feel dirty even if I dont shower for more than 24 hours. My clothes dont smell dirty after I wear them.

Highly recommended, but be warned, for the first few days you will feel oily and dirty, just hang on or shower twice daily.

^ I only use soap for my ass/balls and feet and (rarely) underarms.

There really is no good reason to lather the entire body with soap. It just strips the oils away and makes your skin more sensitive and prone to developing rashes.

The No-Shampoo Challenge - Nascimento - 05-31-2013

I stopped using shampoo a few weeks ago. My hair has never been better.

Regarding soap, I also have greatly limited or barely used it over the past few weeks. My only issue is that sometimes dirt or dead skin will eventually start to build up. It's not noticeable on my skin at all, but if I were to scratch my back searching for spots it would come off through my nails.

Is the solution to *rough* sponge to remove this buildup? With only water of course.

^ get a back scrubber. Wooden handle with a brush. Amazing.

Epsom salt baths work well too. It's cheap. Grow 2 pounds in tub and soak once a week.

The magnesium in the salt moisturizers your skin. The salt acts as an exfoliant.

The No-Shampoo Challenge - thegmanifesto - 05-31-2013

Are you guys using baking soda in your hair daily?

The No-Shampoo Challenge - Cr33pin - 05-31-2013

[Image: Pig-pen_peanuts.png]

The No-Shampoo Challenge - liberman - 05-31-2013

When I used shampoo it caused my hair to go super dry and fluffy so I reduced the amount of times I washed it to twice a week then once a week. This helped keep the natural oils in my hair but it still went bad after every wash, eventually I just stopped completely.
My hair has never looked better I can sculpt it easily without hair product and it doesn't feel dry or to oily. However It still gets dirty occasionally and sometimes water is not enough. I tried using baking soda when in the shower but I think I used too much and my hair went rough for a few days.
How do you guys use the baking soda in your hair, do you apply it in your hair when wet or dry and do you wash it off in water or just brush it out?

The No-Shampoo Challenge - augen sehen - 06-01-2013

After I got my laser eye surgery, I was told not to wash my hair for a week. I had been washing my hair with shampoo every day before that, because I hate the feeling of unwashed hair and feel that it smells.

So I went through the week of not allowing any water to touch my hair and I was shocked at how good it looked. Now I go without shampoo for 2-3 days at a time.

However, I'm still self-conscious that it may smell. What do you guys do to remedy this? I'm guessing that spraying Axe on my head isn't going to work.

The No-Shampoo Challenge - VincentVinturi - 06-01-2013

If you HAVE to put something into your hair, a bit of coconut oil does the trick. It de-knots your hair and allows you comb/brush it fairly easily, smells great, and works sort of like a mild gel.

I haven't used shampoo or conventional soap for years. Why put that crap on your body? I use some all natural soap for my man parts and a bit on my hair if it gets too gnarly from say, swimming in the ocean every day. Other than that...au naturelle.

@germanico - same here brother. No deodorant or soap or shampoo and women tell me they like the way I smell. There's definitely a scent but it's not a stink. I imagine diet plays a big role in that for you as well?

The No-Shampoo Challenge - Matt3B - 06-01-2013

I'm interested in doing this. Problem is, I have curly hair that goes wild and has to be straightened [Image: gay.gif] so I need to put something in it not to burn it to a crisp. I'm keen to give this a go though.

As a side note, my dad knows a Sikh who obviously doesn't wash his hair. He said once, he took his turban off showing his hair that hadn't been washed or cut in 7 months and it was the cleanest hair he'd ever seen; silky, shiny, healthy and clean.

The No-Shampoo Challenge - Nascimento - 06-01-2013

Quote: (06-01-2013 08:23 AM)MattC Wrote:  

I'm interested in doing this. Problem is, I have curly hair that goes wild and has to be straightened [Image: gay.gif] so I need to put something in it not to burn it to a crisp. I'm keen to give this a go though.

As a side note, my dad knows a Sikh who obviously doesn't wash his hair. He said once, he took his turban off showing his hair that hadn't been washed or cut in 7 months and it was the cleanest hair he'd ever seen; silky, shiny, healthy and clean.

My buddy has curly hair, and he has a pretty cool hairstyle. What he does is he avoids shampoo, and because of the natural grease/oil the hair produces, he is able to sculpt the hair without products.

Buzz (think 2 or 3) on the sides and back and leave the top and front long, with longer bangs. Give it a try!

The No-Shampoo Challenge - Emancipator - 06-01-2013

Quote: (06-01-2013 09:30 AM)Nascimento Wrote:  

My buddy has curly hair, and he has a pretty cool hairstyle. What he does is he avoids shampoo, and because of the natural grease/oil the hair produces, he is able to sculpt the hair without products.

Buzz (think 2 or 3) on the sides and back and leave the top and front long, with longer bangs. Give it a try!
Any pictures?

Now my hair only gets shampooed when I go for those expensive hair cuts.

The No-Shampoo Challenge - Nascimento - 06-01-2013

Quote: (06-01-2013 09:38 AM)Emancipator Wrote:  

Any pictures?

Maybe something similar to this, with it buzzed and even shorter on the sides and back. Without shampoo it looks even better:

[Image: curly-hairstyles-for-men.jpg]

The No-Shampoo Challenge - kosko - 06-01-2013

I haven't used conditioner in years and for a about a good 8 months I just used baking soda to wash my body. It works that natural softness and oily sheen you get is natural, only shit that goes in my hair is coconut oil.

For the skin it's 'dirt' that makes your dirty and gives bacteria food to feast on. Majority of dirt on your skin are your own deed skin cells so just scrubbing them off every few days keeps your skin clean with no need for heavy soaps, or soap at all.

My skin glows and shit and Im trying this baking soda challenge on my hair right now and it's never felt softer.

If your worried about smelling use a internal deodorant and manage your stress. Odor if no bacteria is present will only come out from diet and stress.

The No-Shampoo Challenge - Jaylow - 06-01-2013

another +1 for almost never washing my hair with shampoo

You can go bald using that stuff all the time.

The No-Shampoo Challenge - WesternCancer - 06-01-2013

Kosko what's internal deodorant?

I'm gonna need some of that after all the Kimchee and garlic I've been eating.

The No-Shampoo Challenge - CarCrashKid - 06-01-2013

Just back from work and I realised halfway through that my hair looks way better than it did.
It holds it form much better and I don't get hat hair. Hair is short (1.5 blade)on the sides and maybe an inch on top.

Christopher Walken (70) said a couple of years ago that he pulls his hair everyday to prevent himself from going bald.
I tried finding the interview with Jonathan Ross but I failed but either this is seriously true or he has gotten implants.

I've taken this up myself, there is baldness in the family.
The results regardless..
[Image: 220px-Christopher_Walken_at_the_2009_Tri...stival.jpg]

The No-Shampoo Challenge - Basil Ransom - 06-01-2013

I've been using water only for a couple weeks, and generally really like the results.

But in the 12-24 hours after a shower, my hair is a little gunked up with oil. It'll even look wet when it's actually dry, because of the oil. And the hair will be sort of stiff and bunched up. Within a day after showering, my hair looks great, like the guy below. It's as if the oil settles back down to an even, steady distribution among my hair.

Quote: (06-01-2013 09:56 AM)Nascimento Wrote:  

What am I doing wrong? Are there any recommended washing techniques for avoiding this fate? If possible, I'd prefer to continue with only water.

The No-Shampoo Challenge - Four - 06-02-2013

Question -

Do you use hair gel? If you don't, is water enough by itself to rid the hair of the dandruff/flaky white stuff after not showering and leaving the gel on your head.

The No-Shampoo Challenge - Mr. Cameltoe - 06-02-2013

Ever since I ran out of shampoo a few months ago I've been washing my hair only with water and (when I feel like it) a dab of baking soda. I just tousle the baking soda into the dry hair and then hit the shower. So far I'm very happy with the results and I'm even contemplating saying no to the socially mandated shampooing at the haircutter.

As far as styling goes, I'm a big fan of Baxter's Clay Pomade:

[Image: clay-pomade.jpg]

It gives you a matte, natural-looking finish and since you only apply a small amount it lasts forever.

By the way, my main squeeze started watering down her shampoo two weeks ago in order to wean herself slowly of the chemicals and her hair already dramatically improved, going from thin and dry (while using expensive shampoo and conditioners) to voluminous and healthy-looking.

The No-Shampoo Challenge - Emancipator - 06-02-2013

"By the way, my main squeeze started watering down her shampoo two weeks ago in order to wean herself slowly of the chemicals and her hair already dramatically improved, going from thin and dry (while using expensive shampoo and conditioners) to voluminous and healthy-looking."

Be careful as that makes the bottle more prone to bacteria because the preservatives in the shampoo is diluted by the water. Still water in a dark (container) thriving spot for bacteria.

The No-Shampoo Challenge - Matt3B - 06-02-2013

Quote: (06-01-2013 09:56 AM)Nascimento Wrote:  

Quote: (06-01-2013 09:38 AM)Emancipator Wrote:  

Any pictures?

Maybe something similar to this, with it buzzed and even shorter on the sides and back. Without shampoo it looks even better:

That's the kind of look I go for but my hair's gone dry and thin, probably because I wash it every day, and it isn't so easy to style.

I'm gonna try from tomorrow just using water and seeing how it goes. I'm gonna get a hair cut probably next weekend too so that'll make things easier.