Roosh V Forum
The Soccer Thread - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Everything Else (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: The Soccer Thread (/thread-23589.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

The Soccer Thread - cardguy - 05-08-2013

I blame the managers for Rooney tracking back. If I were a manager - I would tell Rooney that the moment he is tracking back needlessly he is being substituted straight away.

After a game or two - he will get the message.

Anyway - it is to later now. He peaked in 2004. And hasn't being good for England since the England/Argentina friendly in 2005.

That was a truly great match by the way. I have seen world cup finals played with less excitement, skill and passion.

The Soccer Thread - el mechanico - 05-08-2013

What do you guys think would be best for England right now?

The Soccer Thread - Teedub - 05-08-2013

Quote: (05-08-2013 05:14 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

What do you guys think would be best for England right now?

If you're asking about an England football team, then a good United team, because they supply more players than anyone else.

A couple of things about England.

First - a parodox. England always play well in each tournament. But only in the game that knocks them out.

It is weird - but they approach tournaments like students pulling an all-nighter before an exam. Only when they are a goal behind - in a game they have to win - do they finally start to play well. It is the only yime that the Dunkirk spirit kicks in which recreates the feeling of an ordinary Premiership game (where many of the England players often play well - and often against superior opposition than you find in most international teams).

Secondly - a point from Chris Waddle. In training - England don't need to practice penalties. They need to practice the long, lonely walk from the centre circle to the penalty spot. That is the part of a penalty when a player's nerve will break.

As for what should England do? Nothing. If you spin the wheel enough times you will get lucky. And the same will happen for England. One day. I know it is not a 'satisfying' answer. But football is dependent on luck more than any other sport.

The Soccer Thread - el mechanico - 05-08-2013

Maybe they drink too much before the match?

I mean the night before

At 17 - Andy Carroll was offered for sale by Newcastle for a million pounds. And nobody would buy him.

Two years later - Liverpool paid 35 million for him.

The key thing is this. Puberty. It is impossible to tell how good a player will be until they have gone through puberty. Even Messi was nearly dropped by Barcelona at 16 - since back then he was just another skillful kid who would probably fade away.

I remember Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard talking about the best youth players they knew. Most of them are either out of football or are playing in the lower leagues. Whereas some of the players who were only 5th or 6th best in the team. Are now superstars. This is partly due to work ethic. But it is also due to the randomness of puberty. It is impossible to tell how a boy will develop - since football requires such specific body types to be successful.

My dad was telling me that Liverpool in the 70s and 80s had the best youth system in the world. And all they did was try out lots and lots of 19 years olds. Those who made it stayed - and those who didn't left. All they did was tell their scouts to focus on 19 years olds and nothing else.

The crucial thing is the age. You literally cannot judge a player until they are 19. It is only at that point that puberty is finished - and you see for the first time what sort of player you are dealing with.

So - if I could do anything. I would find a way for clubs to focus their youth development on how a player is at 19. Instead of thinking you can coach a 7 year old or a 15 year old into being the next superstar. You cannot. You should do what Liverpool did. Which is nothing. And just pop along to the local teams to see which 19 year olds have potential.

This article is useful.

The majority of players in the England under 15 team - never even become professionals.

Whereas the majority of players in the England under 18 team either are already professionals. Or will soon become professionals.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/...er-18-1993

[edit] Even the majority of under-18s for England struggle to make it as pros. Whereas under-21s for England are already on the path to being a superstar - or carving out a career in football. Alot can happen in three years as puerty finishes off its 'cooking'.

The Soccer Thread - rudebwoy - 05-08-2013

The main problem with the England team despite choosing the wrong players, is that they play too many games in their league and seem tired come Tournament time.

This is another great article discussing the England youth players who fell by the wayside. Alot of the stories are pretty sad.

http://sabotagetimes.com/reportage/liver...kely-lads/

I have heard that before.

And the response I hear is this. Alot of foreign players in the Premier League - go on to have successful tournaments. So why are they not 'tired'?

Still - you are probably right - since I can't remember many players from the Premier League ever lighting up a tournament.

Even more on young players who faded away. I find this a fascinating subject.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/mar/07/1

The Soccer Thread - Monte Cassino - 05-08-2013

In the US soccer is a game for girls and metrosexuals. Outside of the US it is man's game. That's just the way it is.

The Soccer Thread - Matt3B - 05-08-2013

Quote: (05-08-2013 05:31 PM)cardguy Wrote:  

At 17 - Andy Carroll was offered for sale by Newcastle for a million pounds. And nobody would buy him.

Two years later - Liverpool paid 35 million for him.

Got your facts wrong there, lad. Rafa tried to sign him for us for less than a million back in 2009 when he was aged 20. We then bought him for 35m aged 22 in 2011.

The worst bit of business the club has ever done, outside of selling it to Hicks and Gillette.

The Soccer Thread - Matt3B - 05-08-2013

Quote: (05-08-2013 06:01 PM)cardguy Wrote:  

Even more on young players who faded away. I find this a fascinating subject.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/mar/07/1

A sad case is of Michael Johnson. He could've gone on to be a mainstay in City and England's midfield, he was that good. Now he doesn't even play and I was really looking forward to his career.

Sorry about fucking up Carroll's age.

But - what is noticeable is how much bigger and stronger he was when he was 22 compared to 20. And he seemed to fill out due to getting older more than because he was working out more.

The Soccer Thread - Idlenations - 05-09-2013

That gets me thinking how good Sterling can become if he starts to fill out as he reaches his early 20s. Only thing holding him back now is lack of experience and the fact he is a bit of a lightweight.

The Soccer Thread - bojangles - 05-09-2013

Sterling will be great, the only thing holding him back is how he's used and tactically taught.

Moyes is a big mistake for United, but he's the fall guy I reckon, the guy succeeding Fergie is bound to fail in everyone's eyes. It's the appointment after Moyes which is the big one.

The Soccer Thread - Mare - 05-09-2013

Thoughts on this article?

http://www.returnofkings.com/10506/stop-watching-sports

The Soccer Thread - Matt3B - 05-09-2013

Quote: (05-09-2013 06:09 AM)Mare Wrote:  

Personally, I think it's a load of shite and is trying to say "hey, hey, look how red pill I am!"

To a certain degree he's right, why waste your whole weekend revolved around sports when you can do other productive stuff? But some people are happy in that existence and being around their mates while it's on, and they don't know any better. Men have been doing it for hundreds of years.

I met Bojangles because of football and he got me into the red pill life, so if I never watched sports I most likely wouldn't be here now.

Seriously, is it going to get to the point where you're shamed in the manosphere if you're not either hitting on girls or hitting the gym? I've watched football my whole life, I'm not going to change that now. I watch less than I used to, in fact only exclusive to Liverpool matches and the occasional Atletico Madrid match, but that's it. It doesn't get in the way of the rest of my life.

The Soccer Thread - bojangles - 05-09-2013

yeah it's pants. I mean if there were gladiator contests still going on would you not watch it?

The Soccer Thread - Matt3B - 05-09-2013

It's entertainment. Should we start telling people not to go watch a film to be entertained because they could be learning a language instead and the actors are the winners getting paid, and you're the loser who is paying?

The Soccer Thread - Nudge - 05-09-2013

^^
Here here. I thought exactly the same thing after reading that article. Seems in the manosphere your not allowed to unwind and relax with your mates, you have to constantly be improving yourself or your wasting your life. Crock of shit.

The Soccer Thread - Homo_Sapien - 05-09-2013

Quote: (05-09-2013 06:50 AM)MattC Wrote:  

Quote: (05-09-2013 06:09 AM)Mare Wrote:  

Personally, I think it's a load of shite and is trying to say "hey, hey, look how red pill I am!"

To a certain degree he's right, why waste your whole weekend revolved around sports when you can do other productive stuff? But some people are happy in that existence and being around their mates while it's on, and they don't know any better. Men have been doing it for hundreds of years.

I met Bojangles because of football and he got me into the red pill life, so if I never watched sports I most likely wouldn't be here now.

Seriously, is it going to get to the point where you're shamed in the manosphere if you're not either hitting on girls or hitting the gym? I've watched football my whole life, I'm not going to change that now. I watch less than I used to, in fact only exclusive to Liverpool matches and the occasional Atletico Madrid match, but that's it. It doesn't get in the way of the rest of my life.

The author is under the impression that he's 'making a difference'. That what he does will somehow matter in 5 billion years when the sun swallows the earth.

It won't matter, just like it doesn't matter which team wins the league or which player scores the most goals.

How you spend your time is of no significance, and he's just wasted a few hours of his precious time explaining why his worldview is better than those who watch sports.

Some humans enjoy sports because it's effectively 'playing war'. One tribe against another, battling for that temporary feeling of supremacy.

The Soccer Thread - cardguy - 05-09-2013

I am such a nihilist. Nothing matters. Nobody gives a fuck about you. And one day the earth will be eaten up by the sun - and the fundamental particles which make up the universe will decay into space-time nothingness...

I am a happy guy, by the way.

Still - it always amuses me when I see people earnestly concerned about the importance/impact of their lives.

There is a graveyard near me. And each of the graves is about 150 years old. And today - nobody gives a shit about anyone in that graveyard. As I walk past it on my way to work I always am cheered by the thought that one day - about 200 years from now - I will be in a similar situation.

The Soccer Thread - pirate player - 05-09-2013

yeah that article is true to an extent like there is no need for me to be watching the two remaining games for Liverpool, but at the same time i got introduced to roosh v through a link posted in the off topic LFC forum, it stated 'all you need to know about women is right here". and now am here.