Roosh V Forum
10k, No Debt, and A Bachelors: What To Do? - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: 10k, No Debt, and A Bachelors: What To Do? (/thread-21923.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

10k, No Debt, and A Bachelors: What To Do? - WesternCancer - 03-20-2013

If all goes according to plan I'll be graduating within the next month and I have no idea what to do afterwards. I have around 10k in the bank, no debts whatsoever and a bachelors from a top university.

I've been thinking about it and I have a few options: make money, lose money and break even.

Option 1: Make Money
Go back home and live with my parents until 2014/when I get a good job or go back to school. Everything would be paid for so my only expenses would be for whatever I wanted. This place is terrible for night game and girls in general, but I'm not too worried about that. I have friends who might be able to hook me up with decent jobs. I'd also have to be on the look out for laziness. If I fall into just a 40hr workweek I'll get myself stuck there and I want to move somewhere once I have a nice cushion of $$ and a job.

The plan would be to: lift/get shredded, get various certifications to broaden my horizons (first aid, forklift, food safe anything like that), read lots, go on road trips and figure out where to go from there. Basically boost my resume (what I should have been doing in uni haha).

or
Go to fort mcmurray, and make bank hopefully in something related to my degree. Go hard for a while then come back to civilization.

Cons: no girls, isolation, boredom, hardwork

Option 2: Lose Money
- travel for a few months and bang tons of lovely, feminine women then move back or live somewhere I like (depending on what my cashflow is looking like).

- go back to school (I'd have to figure out what I'd want). hopefully at a different university.

Option 3: Break Even
- move to Montreal, eat poutine and bang french chicks. get a job in my field and live there indefinitely. pros: something different, I get to start from scratch and create things exactly how I want them. poosy paradise

- stay in my city and hope I can get a job paying enough to live here. ($1500/month in rent for good logistics) pros: social circle remains intact, things are familiar.

What would you guys do if you were in my shoes?

10k, No Debt, and A Bachelors: What To Do? - Atlantic - 03-20-2013

What age are you?

10k, No Debt, and A Bachelors: What To Do? - mistermister - 03-20-2013

go to fort mac. go get that gwap. travel to a poosy paradise on vacation every now and then bang to your hearts content.

the ridiculously high wages in fort mac might not be there forever. this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. i'm from western canada. it's boom/bust out here. now's the time to get it while the gettings good.

go get that money. it will take you 15yrs to make 100K/annually in montreal in most fields. you can do that right away in fort mac.

poosy will always be there.... the opportunity to make serious dough when you're young. not so much.

go to fort mac. save your money. invest. rinse and repeat.

or go travel the world and bang beautiful women, brand yourself, write travel guides and create an online following that nears cult like status... oh wait.

10k, No Debt, and A Bachelors: What To Do? - renotime - 03-20-2013

Have a little fun, spend a little dough, and then leave yourself with enough to get out to Mac.

10k, No Debt, and A Bachelors: What To Do? - kenny_powers - 03-20-2013

OPTION 4:
You are a grown man. Don't move to your parents "to save money". That's gay. You are in Canada right? Can you move to Manhattan and get a job? Or take your 10k and set up shop in Miami Beach and get a job in a bar/club for a year.

10k, No Debt, and A Bachelors: What To Do? - travolta - 03-20-2013

Here's what I did after I graduated:

Worked a shitty $10/hour job, saved up about 6-8 grand. Travelled to Southeast Asia for 6.5 months, lived on a tight budget (I paid anywhere from $0.75 - 10/night for hostels & guesthouses. After traveling I realized that the ONLY thing I wanted to do was travel. I ran out of money, had to come home. I graduated college in 2010, and finished traveling in May of 2011. I worked a few more shitty jobs (none related to my degree) and saved up a few thousand dollars more. On January 3, 2012 I started to study Affiliate marketing. I busted my ass for a full year. I lived at home with my parents (which SUCKED), and spent all of my money on AM. 14 months later (March 2013) I'm no longer broke and am working full time as an affiliate marketer. I moved to NYC 1 week ago.

All of the hard work was shitty at the time but it paid off BIG time. Now I'm living in the best area in Manhattan, work from home, and am technically location independent. When I get tired of NYC I'll end up traveling and NOT being on a tight budget like last time.

I studied science in college. It was the biggest fucking waste of time and money... it's all good though, in a way it got me to where I am today... nearly 3 years after graduating college (wow time flies).

In conclusion, I'd say to travel, figure out what it is you truly want to do, and when you come back home bust your ass and start some type of business.

P.S. I would NOT recommend living at home to save money (as I did), but it definitely made a difference and allowed for me to focus 1000% on learning affiliate marketing.

10k, No Debt, and A Bachelors: What To Do? - gsinplaya - 03-20-2013

make money and in your spare time focus on developing a skill or business that will allow you to create location independent income.

Thanks for the responses guys.
I do like the idea of making a lot of money while the money is there in the mac. I don't spend a ton as it is so it would be a nice cushion for the future. I'll have to scope out some jobs related to my field, or just any job.

The living at home wouldn't really be to just save money it would be a good transition. My lease runs up in the middle of april and I want to sell off a bunch of stuff I don't need. I'd only be there for a few months while I search for jobs or plan a trip, because right now I don't really have any time to do any of that until the middle of april (grad stuff, exams etc).

10k, No Debt, and A Bachelors: What To Do? - kenny_powers - 03-20-2013

BTW congrats on graduation!

10k, No Debt, and A Bachelors: What To Do? - Brosemite - 03-20-2013

From what I can tell, you already have brighter long-term insight then most college graduates. Least in my case I like everyone else thought I would be set career and lifestyle wise once obtaining that entry level gig. Twas only the start of the journey...

10k, No Debt, and A Bachelors: What To Do? - Roosh - 03-20-2013

Take a month or two for some light travel, get a taste of the good life, and then go back to your parents to think about the experience. Preserve your cash as much as you can.

10k, No Debt, and A Bachelors: What To Do? - Jaylow - 03-20-2013

Im with Roosh. Don't go in debt, you are ahead of the majority of students not being in any debt at all after graduation. I would take a couple months this summer and live+work somewhere awesome and then either go to Ft Mack or live with your parents for a bit. Live and work in Montreal for a few months seems like a win win for you actually.

I am heading to Ottawa in 2 weeks. I would move to Montreal but I don't know anything about the city. I am a carpenter and Ottawa is having a mini housing boom so its easy to get good jobs there. I am saving up to move where you want to leave WC. [Image: tongue.gif] Why would you want to leave such beautiful weather and come to Ontario?

10k, No Debt, and A Bachelors: What To Do? - LaPastillaRoja - 03-20-2013

Hey mate I'm in a similar situation to you and have been pondering basically the same options you have. I thought for a while that it has to be work OR travel, but I started looking for jobs abroad. I just locked down a gig working in Mallorca over the summer doing pool games/lifeguarding for a resort. Not the most glamourous gig admittedly, but they are paying for my accommodation and food with a decent pay packet on top of that. Not bad for making sure the fat kids don't drown while playing pool volleyball. Not sure what your language situation is but you can find some really good gigs abroad for this coming summer. I know people that have done this in Mexico and the DR and it is supposed to be amazing. Might be something to consider. Would probably be more fun than working while living with your parents!

10k, No Debt, and A Bachelors: What To Do? - Smitty - 03-20-2013

Assuming you're in your 20s, now is the time to figure out what you want to do, build your foundation and stockpile cash as much as possible.

Listen to Roosh about budgeting for a little modest travel to get away and do some thinking. Come up with a plan and when you return, execute with vigor.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you not to live with your parents. Every month you spend at your parents is another month of expenses you don't have to pay...and money in the bank = freedom.

I like the mini-vacation before committing to a job. Like some guys said the money in fort mac isn't going to be there forever, but I don't think a few months is going to really change much. It would just be shittier in the wintertime.

If I were to to a mini-vacation I'd probably split it up into a few months. A few weeks to a month in a secluded location somewhere on the coast eating fresh seafood off the docks (maybe a touristy area so I can squeeze out a few bangs), hiking and reading. I've always wanted to travel around and meet all you guys here at the RVF, I could do a road trip down the west coast then over to florida then up to NY or something. I could also go the ski-bum route which would be pretty sweet.

The opportunities are endless. I'm getting excited.

10k, No Debt, and A Bachelors: What To Do? - BIGINJAPAN - 03-20-2013

I would go to Montreal for a few months out of school. Live it up and then come back to Alberta to work. Fort Mac is slow right now because of spring break up. They get going hard again starting around May.

You can then work hard for the rest of the year and make enough bank to take all of next year off if you want. On your days off you can hit Calgary up for some down time. Plenty of skanks to pound in this city.

10k, No Debt, and A Bachelors: What To Do? - lavidaloca - 03-20-2013

Personally, I'd chase the money if I were in your shoes and bust your balls to make as much as possible to take advantage of compound interest. While you may get some fun now by wasting a year its quite possible you will need to work an extra 3 or 4 years to make up for it.

10k, No Debt, and A Bachelors: What To Do? - lavidaloca - 03-20-2013

With that said if you have no experience with extended travel maybe try a couple month trip to see if its the lifestyle for you. Maybe you'll find you don't like it. Although I doubt it!

10k, No Debt, and A Bachelors: What To Do? - Jaylow - 03-20-2013

Quote: (03-20-2013 10:45 PM)lavidaloca Wrote:  

Personally, I'd chase the money if I were in your shoes and bust your balls to make as much as possible to take advantage of compound interest. While you may get some fun now by wasting a year its quite possible you will need to work an extra 3 or 4 years to make up for it.

On the other hand he still has his youth. Is there a huge rush to start living your life only to make a dollar? He is way ahead of the game, he is +10k out of school instead of negative 20-40k like most graduates are. Hes earned the right to have a little fun since hes obviously been working his ass off and being a full time student at the same time.

I still think my idea is best. Find an awesome party city to work in and settle for a lesser paying job for 6-12 months and live the life and make some cash flow at the same time. I lived in a city where its 10 dudes to every 1 decent looking girl and I will fucking tell you it is not a fun situation to be in.

10k, No Debt, and A Bachelors: What To Do? - memcpy - 03-21-2013

Come teach English overseas. You can work, play, meet pretty feminine girls, get ripped, travel, learn a language, and still have time to do whatever. I get 3 vacations (1month summer vacation, 3week winter vacation, 3week spring vacation) and various holidays off. There are also days where there are tests and I don't do anything on test day. Just study.

I did this after graduation, don't regret it at all. Still doing it, trying to move on to something better.

I sign a 1 year contract and i'm free to find other jobs if I want to.

If you want to find a job teachin in Japan, you might be a little late. The new school year starts in April. I recommend teaching Junior high school or high school because you get to take long school vacations, which you can use to travel. From japan to Korea its only $300 dollars, very cheap. Elementary would wear me the fuck out. Junior high school is not exhausting work.

If you work for a language school or teach private lessons then you will not get long vacations. Just a weird schedule that varies.

10k, No Debt, and A Bachelors: What To Do? - scotian - 03-21-2013

Congratulations on graduating without student loan debt and money in the bank, good job. You have tons of options and you're right not to go directly to Fort McMurray, although it wouldn't be a bad move, at all, just take some time to relax for a bit.

Again, you have tons of options, I've always recommended to fellow Canadians to see a bit of their country first before traveling international, mainly because no one really ever does and there's some cool things to do and see. After I finished high school, I spent five weeks doing an intensive French course at the Universite de Montreal, best part was that the Canadian government paid for everything, here's a link to that program: http://www.myexplore.ca/en/

I have many friends who participated in Katimivik, although I'm not sure that I would: http://www.katimavik.org/

Other friends participated in Canada World Youth in some pretty cool international locations, another good option and you could probably put your degree to good use: http://cwy-jcm.com/

Or you could always do your own thing, here's a few things I would do:

-Set up shop in Tofino for a few weeks, do some surfing, partying and chasing those west coast hippy chicks, you can find a cheap monthly rental there or live in a tent or something.

-Go to Halifax and get a job in the seasonal tourist industry around the water front, rickshaw drivers do well there (money and pussy, my friends used to kill it doing that), bar tending, etc. Halifax is a great summer city.

-St. John's Nfld would be a decent place to spend a summer, similar to Halifax.

-Get a random job in Montreal for a couple of months and enjoy the summer there, so much to do (festivals, events, parties, pussy) in Canada's best city.

Good luck making a decision man, you deserve to have some fun but as others have said, don't blow all of your cash, if you're serious about making a move to the Mac, I will be there from mid-May until it starts getting cold again in the fall, so if you want I could hand your resume to some people up there.

10k, No Debt, and A Bachelors: What To Do? - Lazarus - 03-21-2013

Your story sounds like the typical saga of every young man. In my experience, moving back in with my parents was the worst mistake I ever made. The environment was toxic. I can't believe you are only 10K in debt though. Degrees must be cheaper in Canada than any other first world country.

10k, No Debt, and A Bachelors: What To Do? - Chilled - 03-21-2013

Something to keep in mind is that in Montreal, if you're looking for professional work you almost always need to be fluent in French. (dunno if you are or not)

I was just in Montreal visiting some friends about a month ago, and they said that there are only a few professional industries that will take on anglophones. (Game development/programming type stuff was one, can't remember the others) The Quebec government has a bunch of retarded laws on the books saying that any business of more than 25 people must conduct all of their business in French. They enforce it pretty strictly too.

I have two friends in Montreal who don't speak English, and both are doing call center stuff.

Just a heads up.

I second what the guy above said. Come to Asia, teach English. You'll make enough to bank 1k per month, and have 2 long vacations a year minimum to travel around. Plus, not many fatties. Another big perk is that, depending on where you get in, you might be at a job that has a ton of free time. I've got a minimum of 3 hours a day where I have no classes, and on Fridays I literally teach for 50 minutes and am just able to chill after that. Perfect time to teach yourself whatever new skills you're looking to pick up. (I'm thinking about teaching myself to program during this semester, or at least starting to anyways)

10k, No Debt, and A Bachelors: What To Do? - Roustabout - 03-21-2013

Take a couple of months off to travel a bit. Wherever fits your budget best and interests you the most. Then, go work. I don't think you ever told us what your degree was in. But, I would work, work, work, try to find work that pays well, is applicable to your degree, and allows you to live like you want, before I ever thought about going back for more formal education (by that, I mean a master's degree, phd, professional degree). Getting certs and learning practical skills is what I would focus on if I was in your shoes. I assume you are in your 20's, so whatever job you have, remember, it doesn't have to be, and most likely won't be, for the rest of your life, so don't sweat it if you hate it, just focus on improving your self and maintaining a positive financial situation.

Good luck and congrats on graduating and on graduating without debt.

10k, No Debt, and A Bachelors: What To Do? - Aliblahba - 03-21-2013

I think Neil survived 6 years on 10K. You should be fine.