Roosh V Forum
Benefits of a Droney Government job to lifestyle - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Benefits of a Droney Government job to lifestyle (/thread-21351.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Benefits of a Droney Government job to lifestyle - pros80 - 03-03-2013

In a place like the DC area this is a common place. A government job or government contractor job can be a stable cushy job with a good salary.

The major drawback is it can be boring as fuck and you can experience no creativity or personal growth while doing it. You are stuck in the slow beurocratic BS day to day.

But the many I know that do this seem to have some perks. They work 8-5 everyday, and they get a telecommute day once a week. The option to have a telecommute work from home day can be a major benefit to lifestyle letting you stay out late on an extra night of the week and roll out of bed to start work the next day, or take a 3 day weekend trip somewhere and work the Friday from the place you go on vacation to.

I've been thinking about going this route, but it just seems like the actual work can be a drain and you can start to feel like there is no purpose to the job. People will start to see it in your personality outside of work as I have with many DC government workers I meet.

Anyone make the Government Job route work to their lifestyle advantage?

Benefits of a Droney Government job to lifestyle - w00t - 03-03-2013

Why not start your own online business or do some online freelancing. Then you are the master of your own life 7 days a week and not only 3.
I'd rather set myself on fire and run through a dynamite factory then sit 30-40 hours a week in some government agency and push papers.

Benefits of a Droney Government job to lifestyle - JohnKreese - 03-03-2013

Fair warning: you'll hate roughly 80% of the people that you work with.

Benefits of a Droney Government job to lifestyle - Blackmagic - 03-03-2013

All my friends that live in DC and work for the government or government contractors get the same exact perks you describe. They've all told me that their jobs are boring and unfulfilling but they have comfortable lifestyles that they're not willing to give up. However, they do telecommute quite a bit, do some occasional travelling for work, and get off every other Friday. If you advance up the ladder, you can make upwards of $250k and we all know it is nearly impossible to get fired from a government job, so it is just a matter of not killing yourself from boredom.

If you're going the government route, I would say get a job that will have high private sector value so you can get to $250k in 5 years rather than 25. If you can get a security clearance, do that.

Benefits of a Droney Government job to lifestyle - kenny_powers - 03-03-2013

Quote: (03-03-2013 06:19 PM)JohnKreese Wrote:  

98%

Benefits of a Droney Government job to lifestyle - kenny_powers - 03-03-2013

Quote: (03-03-2013 06:36 PM)Blackmagic Wrote:  

All my friends that live in DC and work for the government or government contractors get the same exact perks you describe. They've all told me that their jobs are boring and unfulfilling but they have comfortable lifestyles that they're not willing to give up. However, they do telecommute quite a bit, do some occasional travelling for work, and get off every other Friday. If you advance up the ladder, you can make upwards of $250k and we all know it is nearly impossible to get fired from a government job, so it is just a matter of not killing yourself from boredom.

If you're going the government route, I would say get a job that will have high private sector value so you can get to $250k in 5 years rather than 25. If you can get a security clearance, do that.

Serious questions:
What GOV job pays $250k?
What job if you do for the GOV 5 years you can go to the Private Sector and make $250k?
I am in DC and I am very curious to where you are getting these numbers.

Benefits of a Droney Government job to lifestyle - Mr.Barbarian - 03-03-2013

I have the droniest of drone jobs imaginable--my job out-drones the shit of whatever weak dronage you're bringing. It is utterly soul-killing and contributes in the most menial way to a purpose I feel is plainly evil and unproductive. We'd be better serving society and our nation if we were paid to stay home, jack off furiously, and play video games.

Anyway, it's not strictly to my advantage, but I have been able to make it work.

Advantages:

1. It's a job. Pays rent and bills.
2. I forget about it when I leave. Its demands do not extend past the end of the day.
3. I fuck around on the internet a lot. I met my foreign girlfriend/fiance on OKC whilst doing so, at work.
4. Leave is fairly generous and flexible. If I plan right I can get away to train and compete (jiu jitsu) and to travel.

Benefits of a Droney Government job to lifestyle - TheBulldozer - 03-03-2013

Time. Time. Time.

What's the difference in working 80 hour weeks, with 2 weeks vacation, making 120k in corporate, or working 40-45 hours making 60k, having 4-14 weeks of vacation, and having time to travel, start a new business, or explore interests?

You CAN swallow the red pill and still work a civil service/government job. I hope some of the younger guys here realize this because I do think it gets lost in many of these conversations.

Benefits of a Droney Government job to lifestyle - rudebwoy - 03-03-2013

Government jobs are one of the few that come with a pension these days, whether it is corporate or government you will hate your co-workers.

Benefits of a Droney Government job to lifestyle - j r - 03-03-2013

Quote: (03-03-2013 06:47 PM)kenny_powers Wrote:  

Quote: (03-03-2013 06:36 PM)Blackmagic Wrote:  

Serious questions:
What GOV job pays $250k?
What job if you do for the GOV 5 years you can go to the Private Sector and make $250k?
I am in DC and I am very curious to where you are getting these numbers.

You're not going to make anywhere near $250k working directly for the government unless you're a cabinet Secretary. You can approach that working for a contracting firm, but not until you've got some seniority and are actually bringing in business. The other alternative is if you're actually developing products that the government is buying. You can make some serious cash that way, cause you're essentially your own consulting shop.

Here's a link to the government pay scale: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight...-schedule/

Remember that it's based on locality.

Benefits of a Droney Government job to lifestyle - pros80 - 03-04-2013

250K is the President's salary. But I know a few people who have worked 15-20 plus years in the Fed and make over 120k.

But it just seems like many fed workers find ways to do little work and have fluffy meetings etc to justify their jobs.

Benefits of a Droney Government job to lifestyle - Hencredible Casanova - 03-04-2013

I'm one of those people, believe it or not. I'm not complaining though. The work/life balance, flexibility with scheduling and option to work remotely on some days leaves me with ample time to make the lifestyle I want. I have time to cook my meals, workout every day and even travel without much complication. I'm rarely in the office beyond 4pm unless I choose to be. Even if I travel abroad for a weekend I don't have to stress about showing up in the office on Monday or whatever. It's relatively hassle-free to call/e-mail out. Most people I work with are the same way (even my senior manager) with a few exceptions. But nobody steps on anyone else's toes. The politics and rat-race mentality of the private sector is pretty much absent in the vast majority of government jobs.

I don't know about 250K but you can make entry-level six fig range. Lots of work-related costs are also subsidized.

There's no hot tail where I work which is fine by me because it's probably better not to shit where I eat. Actually, the receptionist who's probably done some CC courses and has a baby daddy is cute but she's a little too hood for me to put in serious effort to get at her. These kinds of girls are plentiful in admin jobs throughout DC.

I'm molding a younger colleague atm to take the red pill. He actually went to Roosh's alma mater and I think he's bright enough to see the big picture. Pretty soon he'll have the experiences that a young adult male should have to see the light. I'm confident he will prevail.

I've done the "be my own boss 24/7 thing" and the freedom was sweet. Like Roosh, I spent six months freely traveling through South America and made every decision I felt like making according to my own free will. If there's a way you can generate cash flows to support that kind of lifestyle comfortably into perpetuity, then by all means do it! Otherwise, being in DC and working for "the man" is not that terrible by any means. Could be a lot worse and in most parts of the US, it is.

Benefits of a Droney Government job to lifestyle - EisenBarde - 03-04-2013

This is the main reason I'm considering becoming a teacher.

Benefits of a Droney Government job to lifestyle - Screwston - 03-04-2013

Why are they so bad?

Benefits of a Droney Government job to lifestyle - pros80 - 03-04-2013

Quote: (03-04-2013 07:10 AM)Hencredible Casanova Wrote:  

I'm one of those people, believe it or not. I'm not complaining though. The work/life balance, flexibility with scheduling and option to work remotely on some days leaves me with ample time to make the lifestyle I want. I have time to cook my meals, workout every day and even travel without much complication. I'm rarely in the office beyond 4pm unless I choose to be. Even if I travel abroad for a weekend I don't have to stress about showing up in the office on Monday or whatever. It's relatively hassle-free to call/e-mail out. Most people I work with are the same way (even my senior manager) with a few exceptions. But nobody steps on anyone else's toes. The politics and rat-race mentality of the private sector is pretty much absent in the vast majority of government jobs.

I don't know about 250K but you can make entry-level six fig range. Lots of work-related costs are also subsidized.

There's no hot tail where I work which is fine by me because it's probably better not to shit where I eat. Actually, the receptionist who's probably done some CC courses and has a baby daddy is cute but she's a little too hood for me to put in serious effort to get at her. These kinds of girls are plentiful in admin jobs throughout DC.

I'm molding a younger colleague atm to take the red pill. He actually went to Roosh's alma mater and I think he's bright enough to see the big picture. Pretty soon he'll have the experiences that a young adult male should have to see the light. I'm confident he will prevail.

I've done the "be my own boss 24/7 thing" and the freedom was sweet. Like Roosh, I spent six months freely traveling through South America and made every decision I felt like making according to my own free will. If there's a way you can generate cash flows to support that kind of lifestyle comfortably into perpetuity, then by all means do it! Otherwise, being in DC and working for "the man" is not that terrible by any means. Could be a lot worse and in most parts of the US, it is.

Leaving the office at 4 PM. That is what makes this attractive. I'm right now sending resumes on Usajobs.gov . They advertise high pay in six figures, but I presume when first getting in you start at a much lower pay scale, then work up.

I think it will take a long time to get and crack an interview with the feds.

Benefits of a Droney Government job to lifestyle - Mr.Barbarian - 03-04-2013

Quote: (03-04-2013 10:58 AM)houston Wrote:  

Why are they so bad?

Mindless drones feeding at the gummint trough to sustain empty, soulless lives.

Benefits of a Droney Government job to lifestyle - Hencredible Casanova - 03-04-2013

Quote: (03-04-2013 11:24 AM)pros80 Wrote:  

Leaving the office at 4 PM. That is what makes this attractive. I'm right now sending resumes on Usajobs.gov . They advertise high pay in six figures, but I presume when first getting in you start at a much lower pay scale, then work up.

Absolutely. Especially now that the sequester is set to go into effect. Most federal agencies are instituting a hiring freeze indefinitely and closing outstanding openings since there won't be any funding for them. This will also change the landscape of the contracting industry as there will be less opportunities to bid on. Some of the contracting companies are actively pursuing commercial sector projects and realigning their business plans. In sum, you're right. This could take a while.

Benefits of a Droney Government job to lifestyle - _DC_ - 03-04-2013

There are great jobs out there with lots of autonomy. The govt is huge (unfortunately), so their is a wide variety of jobs and no typical "govt job"

I work around 40 hrs a week, make my own hours (wake up at noon), make 120k (can top out at 160k), and work from home. I can live anywhere in the US though I still get a DC paycheck.

If you can handle the math, engineering is always a good route! You might be able to figure out my occupation, but Im not going to directly out myself. The work is challenging and most people could not do what I do at the efficiency I work at. Find a rare niche, excel, and you will be rewarded.

Benefits of a Droney Government job to lifestyle - Aliblahba - 03-04-2013

I know a lot of guys that have switched from contracting to guvmint jobs. They have begged me to join, but those jobs are too slow paced. I hate being around inefficiency, and that's the core of Uncle Sammy. But yeah, the pay, benefits, ect. make it a good gig. Some of my friends have been able to advance their degrees due to having so much time in front of a computer doing nothing on our dime. By now I'd be a GS-13 with some seniority and more education. Don't regret it though. Picking up a job as an embassy worker is another one to look into.

Benefits of a Droney Government job to lifestyle - Frost - 03-04-2013

Essential reading on the subject, courtesy of Foseti:

http://foseti.wordpress.com/2011/02/02/o...mployment/

My take, having worked a year each in one government job that was boring and uninspired as hell, and another that is actually really interesting and challenging: A drone job will suck the life out of you, unless you can mentally disconnect your identity from it. Don't be a shitty government worker, be a smart guy who's conned taxpayers into paying him 80k/year + benefits to have a nice office where he can work on websites, mobile apps, a screenplay, etc from 9-5.

Benefits of a Droney Government job to lifestyle - Mr.Barbarian - 03-04-2013

Quote: (03-04-2013 03:28 PM)Frost Wrote:  

Don't be a shitty government worker, be a smart guy who's conned taxpayers into paying him 80k/year + benefits to have a nice office where he can work on websites, mobile apps, a screenplay, etc from 9-5.

I'm listening ...

Benefits of a Droney Government job to lifestyle - JohnKreese - 03-04-2013

Quote: (03-04-2013 11:24 AM)pros80 Wrote:  

Make sure you have your resume formatted correctly. The feds have a VERY strict and unique method for how they want your resume to look and if it doesn't abide by their standards, they have no problem throwing it out.
Check out these articles/examples:

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2011/01/13/...deral-job/

https://docs.google.com/a/park.edu/viewe...h3-brYUs2Q

Benefits of a Droney Government job to lifestyle - kenny_powers - 03-04-2013

Otherwise, being in DC and working for "the man" is not that terrible by any means. Could be a lot worse and in most parts of the US, it is.

I concur 100%. Fun to make jokes about DC but personally I like it here and I like my life. I spent over a decade doing SoCal and Miami. Maybe I am getting old but I like the stability, money, civility, and quality of life that the DMV provides me.

Quote: (03-04-2013 02:19 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

I know a lot of guys that have switched from contracting to guvmint jobs. They have begged me to join, but those jobs are too slow paced. I hate being around inefficiency, and that's the core of Uncle Sammy. But yeah, the pay, benefits, ect. make it a good gig. Some of my friends have been able to advance their degrees due to having so much time in front of a computer doing nothing on our dime. By now I'd be a GS-13 with some seniority and more education. Don't regret it though. Picking up a job as an embassy worker is another one to look into.

This is another good option for many guys on here. The State Department Foreign Service. Forget about the Foreign Service Officer track. I actually took the written exam twice some years ago and passed with flying colors both times but never got invited to orals. This is common apparently. They used to invite you to orals outright for passing the written but know they have this mysterious and bureaucratic process known as the Qualifications Evaluation Panel (QEP) where you answer some short essay questions about your experiences and they review that before deciding to invite you. Many FSOs went through the process multiple times before finally making it to orals and eventually becoming FSOs. You can only take the exam once per year.

However, there's an even better path sans the politics and relatively low pay of the FSO. There's Foreign Service Specialists (FSS). There are 22 different job specialities ranging from IT to Medicine. A guy I knew who used to be interested in the FSO track but also never got invited to orals decided to apply as an Information Management Officer and got accepted. There's no written exam. If your background is suitable they invite you to orals and depending on the specialty you may have an exam or additional steps beyond that.

Anyway, he's moving to Albania in June and the pay is in the low six figs I think. He's taking his wife and baby daughter and the State Dept pays for his living expenses, education for the daughter (even if the school tuition is like 40K a year they cover it), a maid, driver, etc. He will spend two years in that post and then get rotated just like an FSO. Further, the job he will be doing is the same as what he was doing in the private sector.

The thing is they recruit once a year or so and there's only three of the 22 specialties still open atm. You can sign up for e-mail alerts that let you know when a specialty of your preference becomes open. The sequester is likely to have an effect on the hiring needs of State though.

Benefits of a Droney Government job to lifestyle - Celtic - 03-04-2013

As a government drone, I can tell you there is one huge benefit to government work- Leave. The government has generous leave packages and if you can be disciplined about saving your vacation days, You can take 2-3 week vacations pretty easily. That's about the time to give yourself a good shot on picking up a flag.

I would be careful about any position with too high a level of security clearance though. From what I have heard, traveling a lot and especially close connections with foreigners (read: sex) can cause you to lose your clearance.