Roosh V Forum
Improving math and computer skills - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Improving math and computer skills (/thread-12149.html)

Pages: 1 2

Improving math and computer skills - scotian - 04-14-2012

I admit, I suck at math and I suck at computers, it just doesn't come naturally to me. However, I have managed to coast through life so far without having to be proficient at either (I took basic math in high school and didn't do very well, never studied computers), I've run into a bit of algebra and trig during my trade certification tests and managed to figure it out (but quickly forgot it after the test!) so I know that I can learn it.

I'm looking ahead to the next few years and trying to come up with a plan to advance in my career and whether I go into a more advanced position in my trade or go into management, my math and computer skills will have to improve.

I'm wondering if you guys know of any math or computer programmes out there, either online, or courses of 4-8 weeks (I could take time off work to do a course).

My computer skills are very basic, I'm looking to become proficient in MS Office and eventually Autocad.

As far as math goes, I need to learn calculus and physics and whatever others that are involved in engineering.

One programme that I'm thinking of doing is the two year Mechanical Engineering Technology diploma at SAIT in Calgary, here's the details:

http://sait.ca/pages/cometosait/whatdoit...amet.shtml

Some of the subjects I'd have to do: Engineering Physics, Computer Fundamentals, Introduction to Thermodynamics, Electro-Mechanical Systems, Mechanics of Materials, Engineering Economics, Engineering Statics.

Its a bit of a daunting task for a math/computer slacker like myself but the rewards are well worth it, so if any of you guys could give me some pointers about improving these skills, it will be very appreciated.

PS: young guys, don't end like me, study sciences!

Improving math and computer skills - MHaes - 04-14-2012

I'm really not sure what to suggest since I have no idea where you need to begin, but one site to check out for Math/Physics would be http://www.khanacademy.com

Once you have gone through some of their stuff and you have a better sense of where you need to pick up, I would go on Amazon and order a couple of textbooks. You can get really good textbooks, used, for like $5 on Amazon.

The order in which you approach these things is important. Don't try to do a little bit of each at the same time. I would start with the math, once you get up to the Calculus, slowly work your way into the Physics. The computer stuff can come later - chances are they will have classes for that in your program.

As far as actually improving your mathematical skills, well the only way you are going to do that is through practice. Just like everything else in life, you need to put the hours in. It may be aggravating at times, but once you get into it I would aim to spend at least an hour a day (not counting the time it took to learn the concepts) of just doing practice problems on whatever you learned that day. That's how it will stick in your head.

Improving math and computer skills - Aliblahba - 04-15-2012

I've considered going to a uni in 3rd world countries and advertising for anEnglish speaking tutor. Cull through the responses until you find a cute girl, then infiltrate her social circle. Find several chicks for different subjects.

I will be testing this out soon and report back.

Improving math and computer skills - NuMbEr7 - 04-15-2012

edit

Improving math and computer skills - Jackhammer - 04-15-2012

Khan Academy has every possible math topic explained in video form:

http://www.khanacademy.org/

Also MIT has video lectures available for free:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/

Improving math and computer skills - Walnuts - 04-15-2012

Make sure you build a solid foundation before you take a mechanical engineering course.
That's what I study, I'm in my 2nd year and the math is a real bitch. And I'm good at math & physics.

Try to get a solid grip of algebra and basic physics principles.
Calculus is also very important in engineering, learn how to differentiate and integrate.
If you were in London I could tutor you but apart from that I think math is hard to pick up from books by yourself. A tutor would probably help a lot.

Improving math and computer skills - WesternCancer - 04-15-2012

PatrickJMT on youtube got me through integral calc.

Number one biggest asset to success is doing practice problems, do practice problems until your wrist falls off, you'll eventually get things. Learn the concepts don't just memorize what formula is for what situation understand why it does that, try to apply it to your every day life.

Another thing that helps me with math is trying to visualize whatever I'm learning graphically. In statistics I would always mess up p values and how to read the charts etc. Once I pictured it in my head as a point on a graph it made everything much more clear.

Improving math and computer skills - scotian - 04-15-2012

Quote: (04-15-2012 04:42 AM)NuMbEr7 Wrote:  

Check out http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-10006.html, lots of amazing resources. Also check on youtube for things you want to learn.

Like I've said before you only need a fast internet connection and you can become a fucking genius.

That listed is awesome, thanks guys for the great tips.

Improving math and computer skills - Parlay44 - 04-15-2012

The question you should ask yourself is Will math improve my game?

[Image: woKx0.jpg]

Improving math and computer skills - NuMbEr7 - 04-16-2012

edit

Improving math and computer skills - WesternCancer - 04-16-2012

Parlay I think it could help your game. It will teach you to problem solve, see patterns etc.

Improving math and computer skills - Walnuts - 04-16-2012

Math earns you money, simple as that.

Improving math and computer skills - DjembaDjemba - 04-17-2012

Quote: (04-14-2012 11:04 PM)scotian Wrote:  

I admit, I suck at math and I suck at computers, it just doesn't come naturally to me. However, I have managed to coast through life so far without having to be proficient at either (I took basic math in high school and didn't do very well, never studied computers), I've run into a bit of algebra and trig during my trade certification tests and managed to figure it out (but quickly forgot it after the test!) so I know that I can learn it.

I'm looking ahead to the next few years and trying to come up with a plan to advance in my career and whether I go into a more advanced position in my trade or go into management, my math and computer skills will have to improve.

I'm wondering if you guys know of any math or computer programmes out there, either online, or courses of 4-8 weeks (I could take time off work to do a course).

My computer skills are very basic, I'm looking to become proficient in MS Office and eventually Autocad.

As far as math goes, I need to learn calculus and physics and whatever others that are involved in engineering.

One programme that I'm thinking of doing is the two year Mechanical Engineering Technology diploma at SAIT in Calgary, here's the details:

http://sait.ca/pages/cometosait/whatdoit...amet.shtml

Some of the subjects I'd have to do: Engineering Physics, Computer Fundamentals, Introduction to Thermodynamics, Electro-Mechanical Systems, Mechanics of Materials, Engineering Economics, Engineering Statics.

Its a bit of a daunting task for a math/computer slacker like myself but the rewards are well worth it, so if any of you guys could give me some pointers about improving these skills, it will be very appreciated.

PS: young guys, don't end like me, study sciences!

When I was studying my undergrad I used Youtube resources.

You will most likely need these skills:

Calculus - The most important
Albegra - specifically trig
Spatial Analysis
Statistics

I used basic math tutorial guides posted on youtube, when I have time I'll post some up.

Like you I'm not a math natural and needed to do quite a bit of work to get my math skills up to par.

I'm also going to be taking the same program you're planning to take, but I need to save up the cash first.

Improving math and computer skills - velkrum - 04-17-2012

this is not a hard question to answer. If you want to get better at math you have to PRACTICE !

If you suck at algebra, buy some algebra books with the answers in the back and do a set of problems everyday.

Improving math and computer skills - UrbanNerd - 04-17-2012

Keep in mind that many universities have reduced the amount of required math for computer science degrees. All you need now is Calculus 1, Calculus 2, Linear Algebra and Discrete Math (combinatorics/graph theory). No more Calculus 3 and Differential Equations for CS degrees.

Improving math and computer skills - Moma - 04-17-2012

Quote: (04-17-2012 08:45 AM)velkrum Wrote:  

this is not a hard question to answer. If you want to get better at math you have to PRACTICE !

If you suck at algebra, buy some algebra books with the answers in the back and do a set of problems everyday.

I agree with velkrum. I didn't like maths the way they taught it and even though I was good (due to discipline), I didn't enjoy it.

Now, I have five maths books here and I try and work on mental math every day and I've gotten pretty decent.

It's all about practice, oui.

Improving math and computer skills - Beyond Borders - 04-17-2012

I noticed a lot of answers here regarding the mathematics, and Khan Academy seems really good for that.

Anyone have any resources for the computer portion of the OP's inquiry though?: "My computer skills are very basic, I'm looking to become proficient in MS Office and eventually Autocad."

Improving math and computer skills - OSL - 04-17-2012

I am teaching myself Ruby on Rails with this:

http://railsforzombies.org/

Improving math and computer skills - Parlay44 - 04-17-2012

Quote: (04-16-2012 01:56 PM)NuMbEr7 Wrote:  

@Parlay depends what math, Algebra is meant to make you think logically so if you learn Algebra, you will know who to choose from a fatty and a model haha

Quote: (04-16-2012 02:11 PM)WesternCancer Wrote:  

Parlay I think it could help your game. It will teach you to problem solve, see patterns etc.

If anything has helped my game and thought process it's been programming in C and C++.

It makes you think systematically. Certain conditions have to be true before a new situation can take place.

The famous Hacker Kevin Mitnick used to manipulate people all the time to get access to computer systems. He coined the concept of Social Engineering.

Improving math and computer skills - NuMbEr7 - 04-18-2012

edit

Improving math and computer skills - BortimusPrime - 04-21-2012

For math/science/engineering I'd just grab a used textbook that has some of the answers in the back and work through it. College textbooks become worthless once the edition changes (they just mix up the questions, and then the book is useless when the prof. assigns questions from the book for homework, college being the extractive industry it is...), so you can pick one up for a couple bucks off half.com.

For programming I'd say just look for online tutorials in the language you want to learn, and once you get the basics just try to code projects on your own, using online references when you don't know how to do something.

Improving math and computer skills - NuMbEr7 - 04-21-2012

edit

Improving math and computer skills - Andreas - 04-22-2012

I don't like the way i'm being taught maths in school. They make us learn how to integrate and differentiate equations without knowing why the values lose/gain powers or what exactly is the relationship between "ln" and "e". They just tell us that one is thr opposite of the other. It doesn't help you get the bigger picture.

Most problematic was algebra. They don't tell us why some values can be canceled and some not. Or why you can cross multiply values in an equation. Or why you equate values with "0" to find minimum maximum values with calculous. It's hard for me to grab the bigger picture.....

Improving math and computer skills - velkrum - 04-22-2012

Quote: (04-21-2012 12:31 PM)NuMbEr7 Wrote:  

Just saw this, check out http://www.lynda.com . It's not a free option but it has MS Office and AutoCad on it.. I'm pretty sure you will find it free some where [Image: wink.gif]

Lynda.com is a PHENOMENAL TOOL i've used it for the last 2 years and it is worth its gold in education !

Improving math and computer skills - Andreas - 04-24-2012

Check this out. Call this guy Beta or whatever but his site is awesome