Roosh V Forum
Dash's Korean Adventures - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Travel (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Dash's Korean Adventures (/thread-5968.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Dash's Korean Adventures - redneckpunk - 10-30-2011

Quote: (10-30-2011 10:31 AM)Dash Global Wrote:  

Redneck,

Even getting a job "in country" there is no way to know about the actual job conditions itself ie kids behavior, how management will deal with you and the kids/kids parents. This is stuff you would only know by working on a job for atleast 2 months.

Its all a crap shoot.

I am mainly leaving because my best friend is moving to south florida as id MUCH rather chill / live there till the school season starts up in Colombia.

If you're in country you can:

sit in on a class at the school.
Look at the teachers faces, they look happy? they look happy when they talk to the boss? What is their attitude like when they finish a class? You see unhappy looking parents? Is the staff unhappy when dealing with the boss?

you can get a feel for the management, facilities and location
you have more bargaining power...you are already there

Talk to the teahcers at the schools or bars to see where to teach (this in a HUGE advantage, they will tell you everything at the bar).

If you phone interview with them in the USA their boss is sitting right next to them ie you're not getting real answers.

It's called minimizing your risk. You could end up in a bad job, but the chances are MUCH less likely.

Would you take a job in your home country after exchanging a dozen emails and having a 10 minute phone interview? probably not. You would have numerous face to face interviews and meet other employees before deciding.

Recruiter placed jobs out of country for ESL fail MUCH more often than in country searches.

Dash's Korean Adventures - playa_with_a_passport - 10-31-2011

Quote: (10-29-2011 07:44 AM)Dash Global Wrote:  

I got about 1400 still in the bank from my first payday. I get payed again in 2 weeks (2k after taxes). So ill come out 800-1k over after paying for my flight back and considering 1st month start up costs.

Am I glad I took the teaching route?

Im glad I got to come to Korea and check it out.

Knowing what I know now, I would have done it diff. As in I would have taught at a public school or an adult hagwon. The normal english academy's (hagwons) are not my steez. Kids dont take it seriously, and are disrespectful. Thats not even the main problem. The main problem is it is a PROFIT business. As in keeping the kids and their parents happy comes above actual learning. I cant deal with that shit.

You dont have to pay any lost flight money or recruiting costs even though they claim you do. Its in my contract but if I leave I aint paying shit and im also taking my new iphone with me and skipping out on my phone plan. There isnt shit they can do besides try to threaten you in phone calls and emails.

I really thinking about leaving on payday in two weeks and heading to South Florida to chill and save some extra scratch before heading to Colombia at the start of school season.

This is decent pay brah, I have literally shoveled shit for 1/4 of what you making. I would just tough it out until I have at least 10G's stacked in the bank. At least you'll have something tangible to show for it. But then again, I had rough jobs(breaking big rocks into small rocks in dead of winter) when I was a young buck so my tolerance for bullshit is much higher.

Dash's Korean Adventures - Ajiaco - 10-31-2011

Teaching in Colombia is going to be almost exactly what you are describing in Korea.

I have taught in both an institute and a school, and administrators sucked in both. The job was stressful. In the institute, the hours were only morning and night, and on Saturday. In the school, the workload was exhausting. I would have thought Asian kids would be more disciplined and fearful of their parents, but you can imagine what Colombian kids are like...probably worse.

It wasn't all bad. Fellow teachers were usually cool people, and if you are teaching adults before long you will be dating your students.

However, based on your experiences so far, you will hate teaching here just as much if not more so, and make much less money. On the other hand, you will probably get laid more often. Will that make up for all the BS?

Dash's Korean Adventures - redneckpunk - 10-31-2011

Quote: (10-31-2011 05:42 PM)Ajiaco Wrote:  

Teaching in Colombia is going to be almost exactly what you are describing in Korea.

I have taught in both an institute and a school, and administrators sucked in both. The job was stressful. In the institute, the hours were only morning and night, and on Saturday. In the school, the workload was exhausting. I would have thought Asian kids would be more disciplined and fearful of their parents, but you can imagine what Colombian kids are like...probably worse.

It wasn't all bad. Fellow teachers were usually cool people, and if you are teaching adults before long you will be dating your students.

However, based on your experiences so far, you will hate teaching here just as much if not more so, and make much less money. On the other hand, you will probably get laid more often. Will that make up for all the BS?

excellent point. The TESL game is pretty similar wherever you go.
Asia vs Latin Am
Asians will be on time and more shy
Lat Am students are late and not as shy
the other bs, "it's only about money not learning, boss is an a-hole, kids disrespect me, school isn't organized, books are no good, students are idiots" same story different location

Dash's Korean Adventures - Dash Global - 10-31-2011

The main issue is with parents calling up "complaining". They are rich and spoiled. I could careless about how the kids act, after I month I just learned to ignore them / not care.

The other issue is with korea itself. The women blow, the music blows, the dancing blows, language barrier.

So I can easily stay and suck it up but everything combined id rather just leave and go have fun somewhere else.

Even if Colombia sucked job wise atleast id know Id love the women, get laid every week by a new chicks, awesome music and dancing, I can communicate better with kids and people.

I will prob be back to Asia to teach. I will just atleast with Korea go a diff route (public or teaching adults).

Dash's Korean Adventures - WEDO - 10-31-2011

Quote: (10-31-2011 08:06 PM)Dash Global Wrote:  

The main issue is with parents calling up "complaining". They are rich and spoiled. I could careless about how the kids act, after I month I just learned to ignore them / not care.

The other issue is with korea itself. The women blow, the music blows, the dancing blows, language barrier.

So I can easily stay and suck it up but everything combined id rather just leave and go have fun somewhere else.

Even if Colombia sucked job wise atleast id know Id love the women, get laid every week by a new chicks, awesome music and dancing, I can communicate better with kids and people.

I will prob be back to Asia to teach. I will just atleast with Korea go a diff route (public or teaching adults).

I emailed an american friend of mine that lives in Cali and asked him bout his friend Peter (British) that has live in Cali for years and now teaches englsh...this is what he had to say about it.

"peter teaches at britanica, he gets about $35k a year but those jobs are touch to come by. I know a girl here, her husband is american liviing here
and he teaches at learn and one other academy and makes dick
been here two years trying to get on with jefferson, or colombo or brianica
without success
but i am to understand there are websites these schools advertise o
not sure where"

Dash's Korean Adventures - Dash Global - 10-31-2011

Wedo,

Peter almost certainly has to be a LICENSED teacher. ie He went to University in home country for specifically teaching and got licensed.

If not he is one of the LUCKIEST SOB's EVER! lol

35K a year is ALOT of money in Colombia.

That def has to be an International School.

Non REAL teachers will be looking at getting jobs at language institutes and colegios.

Dash's Korean Adventures - Tully Mars - 10-31-2011

Again, I think it comes down to what you want. IMO if your doing the teaching thing overseas, set yourself up right, and get certified to teach at a four year univ. Then you will have your pick of where you want to go in the world. You can rotate every 2 years, to new locals and legit international schools attended by students who are interested in getting into western university's and take their studies seriously. Plus, you will make a decent western salary/ get set up with a retirment package/benfits......and best of all you get your summers off to travel...the tefl game seems like it works best for young backpacker types or if your just doing it for a short term in between careers thing or just to supplement your travel budget.....but again it seems to me a burnout job and to difficult to find a decent organization/institute to make it a lasting option for living overseas.
Quote: (10-31-2011 09:04 PM)Dash Global Wrote:  

Wedo,

Peter almost certainly has to be a LICENSED teacher. ie He went to University in home country for specifically teaching and got licensed.

Non REAL teachers will be looking at getting jobs at language institutes and colegios.

Dash's Korean Adventures - WEDO - 10-31-2011

Quote: (10-31-2011 09:04 PM)Dash Global Wrote:  

Wedo,

If not he is one of the LUCKIEST SOB's EVER! lol

I have no idea what Peter's teaching credentials are...but I'm sure he had a ton of business contacts...as he has lived in Cali for 10 years that I know of and owned a fairly popular bar here called "Blues Brothers".

I believe Britanica is an international enlish institute similar to Berlitz...so there is a chance he is getting paid in dollars instead of Pesos which might account for the higher than usual salary.

Dash's Korean Adventures - KingofScotland - 11-01-2011

I'm considering doing a 3 week, 120 hour, TEFL course in Thailand (either Phuket or BKK). Costs about £600 GBP (approx $900 - $1000) for the course, free accomodation (in a resort type place) then a guaranteed job placement for 4-5 months afterwards with free apartment and approx $1000 USD a month pay. I've heard the jobs are usually way out in the sticks and ones that most people wouldn't willingly pick but it'll be an experience and after it should be set to get a decent job elsewhere.

Dash's Korean Adventures - Dash Global - 11-01-2011

Quote: (11-01-2011 04:09 PM)KingofScotland Wrote:  

I'm considering doing a 3 week, 120 hour, TEFL course in Thailand (either Phuket or BKK). Costs about £600 GBP (approx $900 - $1000) for the course, free accomodation (in a resort type place) then a guaranteed job placement for 4-5 months afterwards with free apartment and approx $1000 USD a month pay. I've heard the jobs are usually way out in the sticks and ones that most people wouldn't willingly pick but it'll be an experience and after it should be set to get a decent job elsewhere.

What program is that with?

Free apartment and 1k doesnt sound to bad.

Id have to see how far from one of the main cities I was.

Dash's Korean Adventures - Laner - 11-01-2011

If you were to stick out your contract, would you end up with a good reference?

I think reputation prevails here. Especially since you mention coming back to Asia to teach. If you break your contract you will likely never be able to teach in Korea again.

Dash's Korean Adventures - Dash Global - 11-01-2011

Had another "mothers complaint" yesterday.

This time about her son doing "graffiti".

Im sorry lady that after I have them write a short story I have them draw and color their story for some slight enjoyment.

Transferring bank funds tomm and booking flight for the 15th.

@Laner

You do not need any reference or past esl experience to get a job in Korea. I had neither and got a job within hours of applying through the recruiters.

I will def be able to teach in Korea again. All I will need is a new set of visa documents (essentially doing the exact same steps I did to get the first job)

The only issue I might have is with skipping out with my unpaid iphone and 80$ a month cell phone contract. I obviously wont be able to get service with them if I return but there is a SLIGHT chance I could have difficulties opening a bank account with very bad credit / debt. This is HIGHLY unlikely though from just unpaid phone bills.

Dash's Korean Adventures - DonovanVC - 11-01-2011

teaching english in asia sucks.

at least you got to capture some flags

Dash's Korean Adventures - KingofScotland - 11-02-2011

Quote: (11-01-2011 07:17 PM)Dash Global Wrote:  

What program is that with?

Free apartment and 1k doesnt sound to bad.

Id have to see how far from one of the main cities I was.

American TESOL Institute - http://www.tesolcoursethailand.com/

You don't know where you'll end up until the course is over. Could be anywhere but apparently they just send you to whatever jobs can't be filled by already qualified teachers.

Dash's Korean Adventures - redneckpunk - 11-02-2011

@ Dash

remember as a Korean parent they are paying a lot of money for their kids to learn english, not to draw pictures. It's Korea, enjoyment while learning doesn't exist. But that does seem like a crappy place to work regardless.

@King

good idea taking a real TEFL class like that, it helps a lot. After a class like that you should be able to work anywhere in Thailand or elsewhere, unless they require you to take a position in the sticks.

If you work in the sticks, class sizes will be large, and that is no good.

If you dress well, don't have long hair/dreads or visible tatoo's you should be able to get a job in Bangkok or wherever. A lot places in Thailand require teachers to wear ties if that matters to you (or the better schools do). Looks are very important in Asia. Be white, look professional, and smile and you can land a job very easily.

Dash's Korean Adventures - KingofScotland - 11-03-2011

When the course is finished you're allocated a job somewhere in Thailand for at least 4 months. Seems like even though it could be out in the wilderness, big classes, bit boring that it'd be a good experience and set you up fairly well for wherever you wanted to go next.

Dash's Korean Adventures - Dash Global - 11-03-2011

I would get the CELTA if you wanted to ever teach in Latin America

Dash's Korean Adventures - redneckpunk - 11-04-2011

I'd disagree.
most important is 4 year degree
then experience
then what you look like
then TEFL/CELTA cert

which cert matters to very few employers. Certs with classromm teaching trump internet certs other than that it doesn't really matter.

actually what you look like is probably more important than experience in most places.

Dash's Korean Adventures - Dash Global - 11-04-2011

^^^^

I doubt anyone is going to college just to teach esl in another country.

Why I didnt mention it. Either you have it or you dont.

Dash's Korean Adventures - Dash Global - 11-05-2011

Finally made it out to the Salsa place last night. Had a special event (pinay food) to go along with the salsa/bachata lessons.

Tons of females there. And the food was awesome! Most fun ive had here since I have been here.

Working on a new Caribbean flag [Image: banana.gif]

Dash's Korean Adventures - JofSuperman - 11-06-2011

Quote: (09-06-2011 06:37 PM)travolta Wrote:  

Also, to whoever is concerned about Koreans be racist towards black people- when I was in Seoul I met this skinny black guy with a huge afro.. this guy was CLEANING UP over there.

Really? So would Black guys kill it over there?

I met some FoB Korean girls here in DC, and they loved me because I was African. They treated me like Diddy and shit. I'm seriously wondering if it's like that over there in Korea as well, or just a rare occurrence. I already know about Japan for Black guys, but if the word is wrong about Korea, I might check it out.

Dash's Korean Adventures - Dash Global - 11-06-2011

^^

I saw a big group of black dudes repeatedly get shut down in a club. They tried to game EVERY girl that passed them.

It was good entertainment.

If I was you Id stick to Japan...

Dash's Korean Adventures - Deb Auchery - 11-06-2011

"They treated me like Diddy and shit"

[Image: smile.gif]

Dash's Korean Adventures - Vacancier Permanent - 11-14-2011

Yo Dash,
so how's Korea treating you now after the first tough initial phase? I guess you've now established some kind of social circle and have some p on the rooster now set up nicely and all ? You still want leave Korea and head to Colombia? How about going to J-land or even China as it's next door with great opportunities and fly girls?