Roosh V Forum
Anyone got a belly that won't go away? - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+---- Forum: Fitness (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-6.html)
+---- Thread: Anyone got a belly that won't go away? (/thread-26298.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Anyone got a belly that won't go away? - MongolianAbroad - 05-23-2014

Quote: (05-23-2014 02:01 AM)Bill Wrote:  

Gio, I think that you are genetically gifted because you were one of the top athletes at your school.

Assuming he was, in fact, a top athlete at his school, why do you assume that he's genetically gifted, instead of assuming he worked hard to become one of the top athletes at his school? It could be he put in the necessary dedication to become that caliber of an athlete.

When I see an athlete, it makes me think that person had the necessary dedication to become an athlete, at least more so than other people with similar genes, but weaker in willpower.

Even at the very top levels, actually, I would say more so at the very top levels, of athleticism, diet is a huge component of success. Top genetics can get you a ticket to the game, but even then, if a person doesn't eat right, put in the time, and ignore distractions, they'll be a spectator, not a player.

Anyone got a belly that won't go away? - MongolianAbroad - 05-23-2014

Quote: (05-23-2014 01:31 AM)kosko Wrote:  

You google about bananas and people act like they are poison due to their high sugar content.

I tell people lately I've been eating 6-8 bananas as a pre-workout. One girl gave me a stink eye and said I should watch out with that much sugar as it might make me fat...

Haha, yeah, there's a ton of misinformation out there. As long as you're burning the banana calories, then there's no issue, and they're super healthy.

Quote: (05-23-2014 01:31 AM)kosko Wrote:  

It's also true about the nutrient ratio of your food. The body "hungers" for hydration and nutrients. If you eat nutrient dense foods that hit high level of micro-nutrient competent stour body will rarely "hunger" for food. People whom eat empty calories are constantly hungry since they are just giving fuel to the body and nothing else.

^^Exactly. It's so hard for people to get that for some reason. It's the key to so much in regards to obesity.

Anyone got a belly that won't go away? - Bill - 05-23-2014

Quote: (05-23-2014 03:41 AM)Spaniard88 Wrote:  

Gio, I think that you are genetically gifted because you were one of the top athletes at your school.

Assuming he was, in fact, a top athlete at his school, why do you assume that he's genetically gifted, instead of assuming he worked hard to become one of the top athletes at his school? It could be he put in the necessary dedication to become that caliber of an athlete.

When I see an athlete, it makes me think that person had the necessary dedication to become an athlete, at least more so than other people with similar genes, but weaker in willpower.

Even at the very top levels, actually, I would say more so at the very top levels, of athleticism, diet is a huge component of success. Top genetics can get you a ticket to the game, but even then, if a person doesn't eat right, put in the time, and ignore distractions, they'll be a spectator, not a player.

I think normally people who become athletes are the ones who are genetically gifted. I think it would be not smart for a guy with superior genes to put that much work in it whereas he would accomplish much more more in other fields. I think it´s mostly not smart to put in the work even if you are genetically gifted. But that´s another story. In that respect I would only be interested in being an athlete if I would have an genetical advantage.

This is even not important for my point. I have talked about normal guys who did not have abs till 40 and get it afterwards. Gio is not one of the guys. I don´t think Gio is a "normal" guy in that regard anyway. He is too much of an exception that´s why I want to hear other guys.

Just to give an example: people read about Tim Ferris not because he is the most successful entrepeneur or the best bodybuilder but because of his short cuts (which may or may not be scams)

Anyone got a belly that won't go away? - Moma - 05-23-2014

As Gio said, if your stomach is going down, you are doing the right thing. I desire a flat belly, I couldn't give a fcuk about how much I weigh.

Through my experience, I know that the issue lies with calorie timing and quality of the calorie NOT total amount of calories.

As said before, I'm a big guy and I can't be eating like a pigeon. Shutting down calorie intake will actually force the body to hold onto remainders and preserve that belly.

See the body in terms of finance.

Having a belly is a bit like a forced savings plan, if your bank (your body) sees that your payments are not coming in as they were before, it will hold onto a certain amount of savings in case your source of income (food intake) comes to a halt (starvation).

Quality of calories has to do with liquidation of funds. Some payments you can spend immediately (raw cash) and others (cheques, stocks, IOUs, dividends) will take longer for your bank to release for spending.

North American food is like bad payments (where you get paid a lot but a high percentage is of an extinct currency in which the bank has to do several checks before it allows you to spend it. Even when you do spend it, you don't get the same return on the goods/money as you would in other countries.

So you need more payments (more food) to make the same purchases (expend energy and enable bodily functions that are dependent on minerals, vitamins and calories from the food).

That being said, I was feeling hungry last night. I boiled some brown rice and left it on the stove.

I then threw an apple, a few pieces of ginger and some water into my bullet and blended and drank it.
Usually hunger wakes me up at night but last night, perhaps my bank realised that they need to liquidate some of those bummy assets from my stale savings plan (the stomach).

Anyone got a belly that won't go away? - Nascimento - 05-23-2014

Have you guys been trying 24-36 hour fasts?

They are quite effective. It's just about being consistent with them, doing them at least once a week, and just monitoring how much you eat the other days of the week.

Anyone got a belly that won't go away? - worldwidetraveler - 05-23-2014

Quote: (05-22-2014 11:50 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

Are you talking about "losing weight" or removing a "belly".

I think these are often different conversations.

As men, most of the weight we want to lose is in our waist line. At least when I gain fat it goes to my belly. I certainly don't want to lose muscle weight so when I say weight I'm talking about fat around the waist line.

I think guys need to experiment to find eating patterns that work for them. I still think it comes down to calories but I do believe eating patterns help maintain the weight loss.

Anyone got a belly that won't go away? - MY DETROIT PLAYAS - 05-23-2014

Recently dropped 5 pounds by monitoring my feasting times more strictly

Outside of real veggies/fruit, I don't eat after 8pm

Timing of your caloric intake matters too

Anyone got a belly that won't go away? - Giovonny - 05-23-2014

Honestly,

I am not genetically gifted.

My success is sports came form sheer desire, belief, hard work, and a passion for the game.

My gifts are more psychological and emotional.

Quote: (05-23-2014 05:43 AM)Bill Wrote:  

I don´t think Gio is a "normal" guy

I agree.

I have been playing sports nearly every day since I was a child.

I have been surrounded by athletes and healthy eaters my entire life.

I was lucky in that sense.

This active and intense lifestyle created a strong metabolism for my body.

Again, I was not born with a great metabolism.. Through hours and hours of activity and exercise, I forced my body to metabolize food faster and better.

Quote: (05-23-2014 09:37 AM)worldwidetraveler Wrote:  

I think guys need to experiment to find eating patterns that work for them. I still think it comes down to calories but I do believe eating patterns help maintain the weight loss.

Agreed.

I appreciate your contributions to this discussion.

You have really made me think..

Quote: (05-23-2014 06:23 AM)Moma Wrote:  

I was feeling hungry last night.

Try to eat a bit more during the afternoon.

Getting hungry at night is dangerous for the belly!

Quote: (05-23-2014 11:41 AM)MY DETROIT PLAYAS Wrote:  

Timing of your caloric intake matters too

Yes, this was my main point in this discussion.

But, now, after hearing everyone's thoughts.. I think everything matters..

Total Calories
Quality of Calories
Timing of Calories
etc.

We all need to be aware of these things in order to have the most information possible

Personally, I don't count calories, I just observe my belly every morning.. But, if I was struggling with my belly, I would pay closer attention to these things!

Moma,

Keep experimenting. Trial and error is the only way to learn whats best for our bodies.

I want to share a few examples of how I reduced my belly..

Greek Yogurt

If I eat it at night, It shows up on belly in the morning.

So, I stopped eating it at night.

Dairy Products

They go to my belly.

I only eat them in the morning so I have time to burn it off.

I use home made almond milk in the evenings.

EDIT:

I just talked to my uncle. He is 56 years old and he still has a 4 pack.

Here was his advice for losing a belly:

No Carbs at night!

Meat and Vegetables for dinner!

No white rice, white bread, or white potatoes at night!

Avoid sugar, especially at night!

Drink a lot of water.

Don't eat after 6pm!

Keep working guys!

Anyone got a belly that won't go away? - speakeasy - 05-23-2014

Quote: (05-23-2014 08:58 AM)Nascimento Wrote:  

They are quite effective. It's just about being consistent with them, doing them at least once a week, and just monitoring how much you eat the other days of the week.

I'm not sure about fasting. IIRC, when your body isn't getting food, the first thing it gets rid of is muscle since muscle is so metabolically expensive.

If you are going to fast, maybe you should go on a protein shake diet for a few days. At least give fuel to your muscles so they aren't being burned off.

Anyone got a belly that won't go away? - speakeasy - 05-23-2014

Guys, it's a myth that eating at night causes excess weight gain. The science has debunked that:

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/f...-gain.html
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/200...080832.htm
https://www.uamshealth.com/?id=10937&sid=1

Quote: (05-23-2014 03:35 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

Quote: (05-23-2014 08:58 AM)Nascimento Wrote:  

I'm not sure about fasting. IIRC, when your body isn't getting food, the first thing it gets rid of is muscle since muscle is so metabolically expensive.

I have to comment on this..

I have met Speakeasy and I have skyped with Nascimento..

Nascimento has the type of body that would react well to fasting. I get the sense that his belly would get smaller by fasting.

Speakeasy has the type of body would NOT react well to fasting. I get the sense that his body would possibly store fat during a short fast.

It's funny how something can be good for one person but bad for another person. That is what makes this stuff so tricky. We really have to try different things to see what works best for our specific body.

Learning how to be fit is a process. It's not always easy.

It took me years to figure out my body and I am still learning everyday.

Quote: (05-23-2014 03:45 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

Guys, it's a myth that eating at night causes excess weight gain.

It might not necessarily cause weight gain.. But, it will almost certainly cause your belly remain the same size.

This thread is about reducing the size of the belly.. Which is a different science compared to just general "weight loss".

Slightly different rules apply, generally speaking.

Anyone got a belly that won't go away? - Moma - 05-23-2014

I'm about to hit my final meal for the night, a bowl of brown rice with stewed chicken and plantain..any upcoming hunger pangs will be met with a blend of apple, ginger and cinnamon powder.

Anyone got a belly that won't go away? - Canopus - 05-23-2014

I've got one, but it's a little different in my case, because it's not due to either fat or muscle. It's skin.

After being heavy most of my life (I'm 28 and 5'10), I started eating right and working out in 2012. I went from about 220lbs. in January 2012, to 177 by December 2012, to 150 by July 31st, 2013. I took up Couch to 5K and lifted throughout, but mostly light weights, and I stalled on progression when I saw that my skin wasn't tightening.

Basically, despite losing a ton of weight and being healthier and fitter than I've ever been in my life, I'm walking around with a crapload of loose skin on my stomach, chest, and ass. I've maintained my weight (150-160 range) since last July, but so far, I don't see much of it doing anything. My belly's still got the same vestige of the spare tire I went through college with; it's just not filled with anything. Empty sack of skin that looks like a deflated balloon...weird.

It's a bummer, but I try to remind myself it hasn't even been a full year, and that was a damn lot of weight to drop. I'm hitting the weights a little harder and still eating right, moisturizing with Vitamin E, figure I'll give it another year and just keep cool. The surgery option sounds really, really unappealing.

Quote: (05-23-2014 05:34 PM)Canopus Wrote:  

I'm walking around with a crapload of loose skin on my stomach, chest, and ass.

Wow, I really feel for you Canopus.. That is a hell of a story.

I don't know what can be done about that..?

Research it online, I'm sure there is discussion about it somewhere..

If you can't fix it yourself, get the surgery! Why not? There is no shame in that!

Anyone got a belly that won't go away? - Canopus - 05-23-2014

Quote: (05-23-2014 05:40 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

I'm walking around with a crapload of loose skin on my stomach, chest, and ass.

Wow, I really feel for you Canopus.. That is a hell of a story.

I don't know what can be done about that..?

Research it online, I'm sure there is discussion about it somewhere..

If you can't fix it yourself, get the surgery! Why not? There is no shame in that!

Thanks Gio.

Yeah, I'm hoping to talk to a doc about it soon - everything I've read online points me to either "lift like a beast and wait it out", or "hack it off for ten grand, go through recovery for half a year, and live with the scar."

If another couple years of workouts and smart eating doesn't do it, and it turns out it's the price I pay for wolfing down pizza and Pepsi through high school, I think I can take it. It'd just be nice to, y'know, see my abs someday, lol

Anyone got a belly that won't go away? - Moma - 05-24-2014

last night I had some chips and then I had ginger, apple, cinnamon mix.

This morning I started off with the same blend and now I'm having some garri with chicken stew.

Anyone got a belly that won't go away? - Ensam - 05-24-2014

I've got one, but it's a little different in my case, because it's not due to either fat or muscle. It's skin.

After being heavy most of my life (I'm 28 and 5'10), I started eating right and working out in 2012. I went from about 220lbs. in January 2012, to 177 by December 2012, to 150 by July 31st, 2013. I took up Couch to 5K and lifted throughout, but mostly light weights, and I stalled on progression when I saw that my skin wasn't tightening.

Basically, despite losing a ton of weight and being healthier and fitter than I've ever been in my life, I'm walking around with a crapload of loose skin on my stomach, chest, and ass. I've maintained my weight (150-160 range) since last July, but so far, I don't see much of it doing anything. My belly's still got the same vestige of the spare tire I went through college with; it's just not filled with anything. Empty sack of skin that looks like a deflated balloon...weird.

It's a bummer, but I try to remind myself it hasn't even been a full year, and that was a damn lot of weight to drop. I'm hitting the weights a little harder and still eating right, moisturizing with Vitamin E, figure I'll give it another year and just keep cool. The surgery option sounds really, really unappealing.

Give it time. Skin takes a while to shrink back. You might want to try doing some heavy lifting to see if you can pack some muscle on. A larger frame might take up some of the lose skin.

Anyone got a belly that won't go away? - sheesh - 05-24-2014

Quote: (05-21-2014 10:44 AM)Giovonny Wrote:  

Quote: (05-21-2014 02:35 AM)Chaos Wrote:  

But to get rid of belly fat is easier said than done for many people.

It can be extremely difficult for some people. Genetics are a huge factor!

I cut all the junk food out of my life for 5-6 years ago.

I still have a layer of fat that is unreal stubborn to get rid off.

The last 10-15% is the most difficult.

Removing it requires a very strict diet and extreme focus and discipline.

I don't know if it's worth the effort and time to take it to the next level to get rid of it.

It's probably not worth it.

You probably don't lose any girls or money because of it..

some guys are just blessed with an amazing metabolism. And some guys not.

Yes.

Genetics are very important.

We can never hide from our genetics!

I just wanted to make the point that for 99% of people, belly fat is caused by an excess of unhealthy food.

Quote: (05-21-2014 03:52 AM)sheesh Wrote:  

You can also get a belly by eating too much "good food"

Eating too many fruits and vegetables can cause a belly?

I have never experienced or seen that..

In my experience.. People that have a belly, have it because of too much unhealthy food.

I have never seen anyone that had a belly because of too much healthy food.

Fruits can have lots of calories as well

Calories from fruit are not likely to become belly fat, generally speaking.

Calories from alcohol, sugar, flour, sweets, low quality fats, etc. will certainly become belly fat.

Not all calories are the same.

juicing like crazy and eating 10 apples a day might have a higher calory intake than someone eating at McD regularly !

Fruit vs Mcdonalds..?

Which one will help your belly and which one will hurt your belly???

The answer is obvious!

McDonalds is garbage!

Fruit is life!

Again, I think this thread is OVER-THINKING this issue.

The simple fact is that -- 99% of the time, belly fat is caused by an Excess in Unhealthy Food.

A calory is a calory, regardless of where it comes from and it will make you fat if your intake is higher than what you burn. That's just physics and there is absolutely no way around this basic law of physics, no matter what diet you are on.

I think that's very important to know. Diets are the new religion in today's world....low carb, no carb, paleo, mediterranean etc...in the end, at least when it comes to losing weight, you just need to make sure that you are not eating more than you burn, period.

Anyone got a belly that won't go away? - Bill - 05-24-2014

So my project is to eat 2 times a day, breakfast and lunch. Let´s see how it works out. I am already quite lean but my belly fat is about 2-3cm. I will try to eliminate it.

Quote: (05-21-2014 01:47 PM)Bill Wrote:  

You easily get too much calories because of eating fruits because eating fruits is fun and makes addicted. The sugar in it is the biggest unhealthy addiction maker in food. That´s the problem. Eating 1kg of fruits is about 800 kalories. At this point you don´t even have any protein.

A lot of people make the mistake of not even counting the calories taken in through fruits which they eat aside of their "normal meals" and then they wonder why they are not losing weight.

A fresh home made fruit juice can easily have the same amount of calories as a Coke, yet people don't count it because hey, it's healthy food...

Anyone got a belly that won't go away? - Moma - 05-24-2014

Quote: (05-24-2014 12:41 PM)sheesh Wrote:  

A calory is a calory, regardless of where it comes from and it will make you fat if your intake is higher than what you burn. That's just physics and there is absolutely no way around this basic law of physics, no matter what diet you are on.

I think that's very important to know. Diets are the new religion in today's world....low carb, no carb, paleo, mediterranean etc...in the end, at least when it comes to losing weight, you just need to make sure that you are not eating more than you burn, period.

This is false. Certain type of calories are easier stored. Certain types are burnt more quickly. Compare it to forms of payment. Cash or cheque, which one can you spend the fastest?

Anyone got a belly that won't go away? - Giovonny - 05-24-2014

A calory is a calory,

I respectfully disagree.

Processed corn syrup is not the same as a strawberry.

Candy is not the same as vegetables.

They will have a totally different effect on the body!

Quote: (05-24-2014 12:58 PM)sheesh Wrote:  

A fresh home made fruit juice can easily have the same amount of calories as a Coke,

Drinking fresh juice and drink coke will have an entirely different effect on ones body.

Coke will destroy your body

Juice will vitalize it!

Quote: (05-24-2014 12:58 PM)sheesh Wrote:  

they wonder why they are not losing weight.

when it comes to losing weight

We are not talking about "losing weight", we are talking about "losing a belly".

I recently gained weight, while at the same time reducing the size of my belly.

I'm not arguing against eating fruits, of course they are healthy...but they also contain calories which need to be taken into account.

Fruits and vegetables have lots of positive effects and they might also effect metabolism positively, who knows,but don't expect any miracles ! If you consume 5oo kcal more than you burn everyday by drinking smoothies, I'll bet my farm that you won't lose that belly.

Smoothies used to be en vogue over here just 2-3 years ago until people learned that they were calory bombs and contained too much fructose which is bad for your liver !

Anyone got a belly that won't go away? - Giovonny - 05-25-2014

Quote: (05-24-2014 02:37 PM)sheesh Wrote:  

I'm not arguing against eating fruits, of course they are healthy...but they also contain calories which need to be taken into account.

I agree that we should monitor our calorie intake.

However, to suggest that all calories are the same is saying that..

Alcohol, sugar, and corn syrup will effect the body in the same way as fruits and vegetables.

This is simply not true.

Alcohol, sugar, and corn syrup will have a much different effect on the body compared to fruits and vegetables.

Not all calories are the same in terms of belly reduction. Maybe, they are the same in terms of total weight loss, but in terms of belly reduction.. Calories from vegetables are way better calories from alcohol, sugar, or white flour.

I see both statements as true:

1) Total calorie intake effects weight loss and the belly.

2) Quality of calories and timing of calories effect the belly.

The truth of one does not make the other untrue. Both facts exist simultaneously.

Smoothies used to be en vogue over here just 2-3 years ago until people learned that they were calory bombs

It depends on the Ingredients of the smoothie, right?

A smoothie of water, kale, cucumber and blueberries doesn't have many calories.

Anyone got a belly that won't go away? - Nineteen84 - 05-25-2014

Quote: (05-25-2014 07:28 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

I agree that we should monitor our calorie intake.

However, to suggest that all calories are the same is saying that..

Alcohol, sugar, and corn syrup will effect the body in the same way as fruits and vegetables.

This is simply not true.

Alcohol, sugar, and corn syrup will have a much different effect on the body compared to fruits and vegetables.

Not all calories are the same in terms of belly reduction. Maybe, they are the same in terms of total weight loss, but in terms of belly reduction.. Calories from vegetables are way better calories from alcohol, sugar, or white flour.

I see both statements as true:

1) Total calorie intake effects weight loss and the belly.

2) Quality of calories and timing of calories effect the belly.

The truth of one does not make the other untrue. Both facts exist simultaneously.

Smoothies used to be en vogue over here just 2-3 years ago until people learned that they were calory bombs

It depends on the Ingredients of the smoothie, right?

A smoothie of water, kale, cucumber and blueberries doesn't have many calories.

This post is on point. I do use calories in and out as shorthand but its def. not the only factor. Check out this long (but watchable) video called 'Sugar: The Bitter Truth':

[Robert H. Lustig] explores the damage caused by sugary foods. He argues that fructose (too much) and fiber (not enough) appear to be cornerstones of the obesity epidemic through their effects on insulin.

One of the useful takeaways is that fructose is fine when combined with fiber (the natural state) as it slows digestion of the fructose. Problem is that Fructose without fiber is now common in the food supply and causes unhealthy insulin spikes.