Roosh V Forum
Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! (/thread-9826.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - rudebwoy - 03-04-2012

Scotian - I was in Chapters looking at the magazines and stumbled across it. GQ British Edition with Keira Knightley on the cover I believe. I will buy it just for that article and fill you in.

Where you at now?

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 03-05-2012

Quote: (03-04-2012 07:12 PM)rudebwoy Wrote:  

Scotian - I was in Chapters looking at the magazines and stumbled across it. GQ British Edition with Keira Knightley on the cover I believe. I will buy it just for that article and fill you in.

Where you at now?

Hey man, a summary of that article would be cool, I"m in Bogota, Colombia now, I'll be back in Alberta mid-April, hopefully the now will be gone by then!

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - drymarro - 03-06-2012

Quote: (03-05-2012 07:09 AM)scotian Wrote:  

Where you at now?

Hey man, a summary of that article would be cool, I"m in Bogota, Colombia now, I'll be back in Alberta mid-April, hopefully the now will be gone by then!
what if I have both US and Polish citizenship? lol

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 03-06-2012

Quote: (03-06-2012 04:00 AM)drymarro Wrote:  

Quote: (03-05-2012 07:09 AM)scotian Wrote:  

Where you at now?

what if I have both US and Polish citizenship? lol

Believe it or not, it would be easier for you to get a job in Canada with your Polish, EU passport. I posted a link many pages back about a special programme for citizens of the EU who can come to work in Canada if they're under 35, check it out.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - JayMillz - 03-10-2012

Quote: (02-27-2012 02:15 AM)houston Wrote:  

North Dakota or Canada? That's the question..

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/oil-boomto...00953.html

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Freedom - 03-10-2012

Quote: (03-10-2012 01:27 PM)JayMillz Wrote:  

Quote: (02-27-2012 02:15 AM)houston Wrote:  

North Dakota or Canada? That's the question..
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/oil-boomto...00953.html
I just read the same thing, but you beat me to re-posting it.
Here's a link to some photos:
http://www.businessinsider.com/youve-nev...oom-2012-3

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - BrownBear - 03-16-2012

Any recommendations for a russian citizen fluent in both languages, 18 years old.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 03-16-2012

Quote: (03-16-2012 03:17 PM)BrownBear Wrote:  

Any recommendations for a russian citizen fluent in both languages, 18 years old.

Hey man, I saw your post in the other oil thread but I honestly don't know too much about the scene over there except that you guys have LOTS of oil and gas, just like us. Would you be willing to move to Canada to work and/or study? If you were to do so, there could be many good career opportunities as many of the multinational oil companies have ops in both Canada and Russia (any many other FSU countries)

You can find oil and gas jobs in Canada and Russia on these websites:

http://www.oilcareers.com

http://www.rigzone.com

Good luck!

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - BrownBear - 03-17-2012

I'd be willing to, but I'm not sure where to continue my education if I should at all?

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - BrownBear - 03-17-2012

Delete

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Jayman77 - 04-05-2012

Hey Scotian. I was just surfing the web when I discovered this gem and let me tell you, it has really inspired me to do something with my life. I'm 19 and from down east too, near Port Hawkesbury, but i'm currently living in Ontario now finishing up high school (GED actually lol). I actually thought about making the move out there a year ago, but was discouraged when I saw the housing prices and didn't realize that tradesmen got camp accommodations. You've pretty much answered all of the questions I had and I can't thank you enough, yet I'm still in a jam. I'm currently indecisive about the trade i will be pursuing and also, if i should take the apprenticeship here or in Alberta. I know you're not a life coach or anything and you've done an excellent job providing us with some insight, but a little advice would really help a brother out. Should I get my JM ticket here first then move, or should I pack my truck up, drive out, and go rent a place in Edmonton and pursue the dream out there? and do you think the boom will still be big out there in five years?

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 04-05-2012

Quote: (04-05-2012 03:42 AM)Jayman77 Wrote:  

Hey Scotian. I was just surfing the web when I discovered this gem and let me tell you, it has really inspired me to do something with my life. I'm 19 and from down east too, near Port Hawkesbury, but i'm currently living in Ontario now finishing up high school (GED actually lol). I actually thought about making the move out there a year ago, but was discouraged when I saw the housing prices and didn't realize that tradesmen got camp accommodations. You've pretty much answered all of the questions I had and I can't thank you enough, yet I'm still in a jam. I'm currently indecisive about the trade i will be pursuing and also, if i should take the apprenticeship here or in Alberta. I know you're not a life coach or anything and you've done an excellent job providing us with some insight, but a little advice would really help a brother out. Should I get my JM ticket here first then move, or should I pack my truck up, drive out, and go rent a place in Edmonton and pursue the dream out there? and do you think the boom will still be big out there in five years?

I would get the hell out of Ontario, that province is a bit of a sinking ship at the moment, all of the work and money to be made for a young tradesman is out west, and likely will be for many years to come. Also, start your apprenticeship in Alberta, DO NOT start it in Ontario, as your hours and tickets may not be recognized (for more infor check out http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/), and it takes 3-5 years to get your JM ticket, so best to move out west ASAP.

As far as the boom goes, who knows, its a very cyclical industry. My advice would be to move out there when its booming (now), get into a trade and save as much of your money as possible, because guaranteed, there will be a rainy day sometime.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - hiphoppotamus - 04-05-2012

Everyone I'm currently in Edmonton and it just so happens its snowing like crazy today. One of the big refineries is shutting down in May so if you can get your ass here before then you will get a camp gig up north. Even if you don't, there are plenty of labouring jobs in road construction and warehouses that pay decent. If you have your class 1 license you're pretty much set, everyone and their grandmother is hurting for drivers.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 04-05-2012

Quote: (04-05-2012 01:00 PM)hiphoppotamus Wrote:  

Everyone I'm currently in Edmonton and it just so happens its snowing like crazy today. One of the big refineries is shutting down in May so if you can get your ass here before then you will get a camp gig up north. Even if you don't, there are plenty of labouring jobs in road construction and warehouses that pay decent. If you have your class 1 license you're pretty much set, everyone and their grandmother is hurting for drivers.

Damn, I'll be back in Etown in a week, hope the snows gone by then!

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Vacancier Permanent - 04-07-2012

Great to hear that Hippo. How long have you been working in the oil fields in AB?
I'm very interested in this and will be making a move there in the next 1-3 months or so as this would be a great industry to get in, to make quick cash and learn valuable skills that can be taken anywhere. And also to pay off debt and finance my existing biz to take it to the next level and to get into other solid opportunities I have right now. And of course, to travel in style.

This forum has some truly great guys who have been very helpful but I nominate you Scotian as the one who has been providing the most soild and viable option for guys out there and for being so helpful and generous in responding to our questions with great detail right away.
Can't wait to get there and meet you there man. Can't thank you enough for all your help. Guys, anyone thinking about this, don't wait, go for it. This is life changing info. I wish I was introduced to this 10 years ago. Now I would have been on easy streets. I'm forwarding the link to this thread to a few guys I know.

Quote: (04-05-2012 01:00 PM)hiphoppotamus Wrote:  

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - hiphoppotamus - 04-07-2012

Hey Vacancier, I haven't worked in the oil sands yet. I've been reading this thread since the beginning and made the move here a week ago to get into the industry. I've sent applications to a few companies and got a call back the next day, with just some safety tickets and no skills (well if you count retail as a skill lol). I've talked to some of the guys who have experience and they have companies sending them 'round the world for work, or get contracted to other companies with their wages matched.
There's also a lot of work in Australia! I hear it's easier to obtain a visa plus it's sunny everyday!

big ups scotian [Image: cool.gif]

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Screwston - 04-07-2012

Damn! Great news. Good luck to everyone up there.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - ?Kick - 04-07-2012

Just landed in Edmonton today! Met Hippo as well. From what I can tell, even though a lot of sites are shut down (the melted snow has made the ground too soft to work), there's still plenty of gigs available.
Scotian recommended a place to stay while here, Hi-Edmonton Hostel, and its paid off. Not only is it cheap, a lot of the guys that are staying here are either working in the sands or looking for work. Great way to network and find leads on gigs! Will keep you guys posted on any developments.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Beyond Borders - 04-07-2012

Quote: (04-07-2012 09:22 PM)?Kick Wrote:  

Just landed in Edmonton today! Met Hippo as well. From what I can tell, even though a lot of sites are shut down (the melted snow has made the ground too soft to work), there's still plenty of gigs available.
Scotian recommended a place to stay while here, Hi-Edmonton Hostel, and its paid off. Not only is it cheap, a lot of the guys that are staying here are either working in the sands or looking for work. Great way to network and find leads on gigs! Will keep you guys posted on any developments.

Awesome -how much per night at the hostel?

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 04-08-2012

I'm landing in Edmonton friday April 13th, gonna party all weekend then I'm driving up to Fort Mac on the 15th for a couple of days to look for work, probably come back to etown on the 17th, if any of you guys want a ride up there, pm me!

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - ?Kick - 04-08-2012

Quote: (04-07-2012 09:39 PM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

Quote: (04-07-2012 09:22 PM)?Kick Wrote:  

Awesome -how much per night at the hostel?

33 per night. If you have a hostelling membership card you get 3 bucks off. Check out their website as well, they have deals like "Stay 3 nights, get 4th free"

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Beyond Borders - 04-08-2012

Thanks for that, Kick.

Anyone have any word on unskilled Americans getting up there? Is it a hassle? How long does it take to get the visa? I'm getting the vibe from this thread that it's hard for Americans.

I'm leaning pretty heavily towards hopping on all of this, and I'm willing to go to North Dakota if necessary, but Canada definitely looks like a better place to be rooted lifestyle-wise.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - DjembaDjemba - 04-09-2012

Quote: (04-08-2012 07:25 AM)scotian Wrote:  

I'm landing in Edmonton friday April 13th, gonna party all weekend then I'm driving up to Fort Mac on the 15th for a couple of days to look for work, probably come back to etown on the 17th, if any of you guys want a ride up there, pm me!

Hey Scotian, I'm planning on heading out to Edmonton in early may and crashing at my buddy's house.

Just wondering what's the job market like in Edmonton itself for unskilled labourer (educated but not 'skilled')?

Do you know where to start in terms of applying for jobs?

Already got most of my certification so I'm good to go on that front.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Vacancier Permanent - 04-09-2012

DjembaDjemba,
That's awesome to hear one more guy from hear is making the jump to AB. Btw, did you do your certification online for the H2S Alive and safety courses?Which site as I want to do it too since I plan on getting there by June.

Kick, Djemba and anyone else from here who's going to AB please post your progress here as I will be following your progress with a lot of interest. I may join you guys in June. Would be cool to be among like minded guys there. Who else from here is going to AB this spring/summer?

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - DjembaDjemba - 04-09-2012

Quote: (04-09-2012 05:48 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

DjembaDjemba,
That's awesome to hear one more guy from hear is making the jump to AB. Btw, did you do your certification online for the H2S Alive and safety courses?Which site as I want to do it too since I plan on getting there by June.

Kick, Djemba and anyone else from here who's going to AB please post your progress here as I will be following your progress with a lot of interest. I may join you guys in June. Would be cool to be among like minded guys there. Who else from here is going to AB this spring/summer?

Are you in Ontario? Here in Ontario there's very few places that do H2S Alive Certifications.

http://www.ptscanada.com/h2s-courses/

In London, that's where I went to get mine. It's not online, you have to go there in person and sit through a lecture, then do a short test. It's pretty easy stuff but it's expensive.