Roosh V Forum
Lifter's Lounge - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+---- Forum: Fitness (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-6.html)
+---- Thread: Lifter's Lounge (/thread-38933.html)

Lifter's Lounge - Fortis - 02-01-2019

I used to do morning time, but I do evening since I'm braindead after lifting. I try to really hammer the body part I'm working on. I usually lift as a reward to myself for being diligent in some other area. I am addicted so I'll go no matter what. I use it as a lever now.

Lifter's Lounge - realologist - 02-02-2019

I do both depending on the day. Weekends I do morning. Week I do evening. I'm stronger in the evening.

Lifter's Lounge - Investment Bro - 02-04-2019

Quote: (02-01-2019 05:44 PM)Fortis Wrote:  

I usually lift as a reward to myself for being diligent in some other area. I am addicted so I'll go no matter what. I use it as a lever now.

How long have you been lifting? I remember feeling the same way around for the first 3 or so years. I would love to recapture that feeling, even though I love lifting as it is now.

Can you speak a little more to this?

Quote: (02-02-2019 06:50 AM)realologist Wrote:  

I do both depending on the day. Weekends I do morning. Week I do evening. I'm stronger in the evening.

I'm definitely stronger in the evening as well, and it's probably no coincidence I've hit all my PRs in the evening. Do you deliberately save PRs and heavy sets for evening workouts?

Lifter's Lounge - Fortis - 02-04-2019

I'm about 6 years deep, give or take. I've still got aesthetic and strength goals I want to hit, so I'm always angling to achieve them. I'm really itching to put on another 10-20 pounds of muscle.

I imagine it's different for guys with 10+ years in the gym.

I tend to obsess over hobbies that I have. It's a blessing and a curse. Given enough exposure to things I enjoy I always begin to grind at them. I try to apply this to shit I don't naturally find easy such as meditation and running and such. I imagine the formula is something like

Time + Intent = addiction

Turning lifting into a lever:

Let's say I'm planning to train at 7pm but I need to do cardio that day. I fucking hate cardio, so I'll do my running before I train and if I'm satisfied with my performance I'll go to the gym. If I do at least 80% of what I said I was going to do then I'll eat and hit the gym from 7 to whenever I please.

I think this works for me since I feel a real urge to train. For some, the carrot is food, pussy, video games, BJJ or whatever. Gotta find out what you enjoy enough to put yourself through hell for and work with it.

Lifter's Lounge - realologist - 02-04-2019

Quote: (02-04-2019 05:24 PM)Investment Bro Wrote:  

Quote: (02-01-2019 05:44 PM)Fortis Wrote:  

I usually lift as a reward to myself for being diligent in some other area. I am addicted so I'll go no matter what. I use it as a lever now.

How long have you been lifting? I remember feeling the same way around for the first 3 or so years. I would love to recapture that feeling, even though I love lifting as it is now.

Can you speak a little more to this?

Quote: (02-02-2019 06:50 AM)realologist Wrote:  

I'm definitely stronger in the evening as well, and it's probably no coincidence I've hit all my PRs in the evening. Do you deliberately save PRs and heavy sets for evening workouts?

I don't follow a strict program so I hit PRs whenever I'm feeling real good. Usually it just turns out in the evening. I do my heavy push and legs in the evening. My heavy pull day I do on the weekend because I have more time. I do Olympic Lifts on my evening pull day and that is plenty for me. If I'm ever feeling good on a random day I'll just go for it and take advantage of it.

Lifter's Lounge - godfather dust - 02-15-2019

The gym is empty so I'm screaming profanity at the top of my lungs, favorite workouts

Lifter's Lounge - B-Minus - 02-18-2019

Something that most people don't understand is why to rest between sets. It's not to give your muscles a break, it's to give the weights a break from what your about to do to them. That's how you should view it. Your an animal, and the weights are your prey. The weights are worrying every time your not in the gym about what your going to do to them when you come in next time.

Lifter's Lounge - sterling_archer - 02-19-2019

Anyone binge watching Leroy Colbert videos? To be honest I didn't even know he died in 2015 and even had youtube channel (oldest youtuber!), which I discovered just few days ago. He is like bodybuilding grandpa I never had, pleasure to listen to.

Lifter's Lounge - Sidney Crosby - 02-25-2019

Jeff is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/user/JDCav24

Lifter's Lounge - godfather dust - 02-26-2019

I just spent two hours lifting.

My normal MO is to put on death metal that makes me want to kill shit and do a HIIT style workout where I try to murder the weights with little rest in between. Takes 45 minutes to an hour.

Today I put on softer music and was real methodical taking long rests when needed. I ended up doing more reps overall. I'll have to mix some of these workouts into my routine.

Feeling that awesome post lifting high Arnold talks about in pumping iron when he's smoking a joint saying 'I cum all day."

Lifter's Lounge - godfather dust - 02-27-2019

I don't know my 1 rep max for anything. I feel like it would waste a workout.

Is there any value besides pride to getting these numbers? (I think they are probably super high for non-lifters, slightly above average for lifters, I've been on a massive cut since early last summer.)

Lifter's Lounge - Fortis - 02-27-2019

^ The real question is what death metal are you listening to? It better not be anything other than brutal slam death metal or old school shit or I'm pulling your metal card.

Lifter's Lounge - godfather dust - 02-28-2019

Brutal Slamming... Been digging this band Korpse for example

That shit that make you wanna commit war crimes

Lifter's Lounge - Kieran - 02-28-2019

Quote: (02-26-2019 12:55 AM)godfather dust Wrote:  

I just spent two hours lifting.

My normal MO is to put on death metal that makes me want to kill shit and do a HIIT style workout where I try to murder the weights with little rest in between. Takes 45 minutes to an hour.

Today I put on softer music and was real methodical taking long rests when needed. I ended up doing more reps overall. I'll have to mix some of these workouts into my routine.

Feeling that awesome post lifting high Arnold talks about in pumping iron when he's smoking a joint saying 'I cum all day."

Only for working out percentages for programmes that call for them (for example 5/3/1). Even then it's not really necessary as the calculators do a decent job using a rep max at a given weight.

Lifter's Lounge - General Stalin - 02-28-2019

Quote: (02-27-2019 10:09 PM)godfather dust Wrote:  

I don't know my 1 rep max for anything. I feel like it would waste a workout.

Is there any value besides pride to getting these numbers? (I think they are probably super high for non-lifters, slightly above average for lifters, I've been on a massive cut since early last summer.)

Any strength-building program that is not purely linear progression typically works off of percentages of your 1RM. It's also a great way to track progress.

1RM is not particularly useful if you are just a beginner, are purely a body builder, or doing other non-strength based or sports-specific training.

Lifter's Lounge - teddy bear - 02-28-2019

IMHO, it's ego. I love to track my progress and know I'm moving forward. From practical point of view it's only useful for calculating your 1RM for strength-oriented regimes. That said most people I know actually care about strength -- more than they like to admit. 1RM in the gym is kind of like lay count in the real life. Technically you, and other males, have no reason to care about it -- but you still do and value people that are stronger and been with higher number of girls.

Lifter's Lounge - Truth Teller - 03-04-2019

Quote: (02-19-2019 08:46 AM)sterling_archer Wrote:  

Anyone binge watching Leroy Colbert videos? To be honest I didn't even know he died in 2015 and even had youtube channel (oldest youtuber!), which I discovered just few days ago. He is like bodybuilding grandpa I never had, pleasure to listen to.

I did a few years ago. He was a great source of information. Honestly, if you just listened to him and built a program off of what he said, you'd probably do fine. You could tell he was a bit of a player back in the day too.

He really hated steroids, too.

Lifter's Lounge - sterling_archer - 03-04-2019

Quote: (03-04-2019 12:10 AM)Truth Teller Wrote:  

I did a few years ago. He was a great source of information. Honestly, if you just listened to him and built a program off of what he said, you'd probably do fine. You could tell he was a bit of a player back in the day too.

He really hated steroids, too.

Definitely for the bolded part but no for the steroids. He didn't hate them at all and he said multiple times, literally, that he would have took them if they were more available to him and his friends.
Steroids were available in his time, but they weren't prevalent. Also, he said that his motorcycle accident that stopped his contesting career is what "saved" him and that he likely would have been steroid abuser and long dead by now.

Regarding programming, there are two articles online about his two programs. He employs principle that I rarely see nowadays. He used top down philosophy. That means he finished with squat and not started with it. He said that he would be fresher that way until end, whereas starting with squat would drain his performance. I like this idea but I don't use it purely of logistical reasons. When I get to gym, rack is empty so I like to train squat immediately and then I know it does't matter if I must wait for some other exercise or maybe change order for this day because of big crowd. But I still use his "mini push pull" principle whenever I can.

Lifter's Lounge - H1N1 - 03-04-2019

With the squat, one of the best pieces of advice I have had from a friend here on the forum was to give it its own day.

Arse to grass pause squats, given their own training day, has been a revolution in my training. I have not suffered in anyway, either aesthetically or in terms of strength, for not doing all the other exercises I used to do on squat day.

I will squat hard, then maybe do a couple of high rep body weight hyper extensions just to pump some blood through my lower back, and maybe do an exercise or two for my grip. But often I will literally just squat and leave.

I was already a relatively strong squatter, but this has been significant for me. Training less has delivered more, unquestionably.

Lifter's Lounge - Fortis - 03-04-2019

When I squat heavy I feel like maybe, just maybe, I could survive in the wild for a couple of days with nothing but my mitts and wits.

Lifter's Lounge - sterling_archer - 03-05-2019

Lately I am training with old school bodybuilding methods. I may go for a 4 day upper lower and 5 day old school split in the future, but for now full body 3 times a week is enough for me. Regarding old school, I have been convinced after a lengthy research that they are the way to go for most natural lifters. But something still bothers me a bit. Question about recovery.

These old routines are very simple in design and don't even have any variation throughout the week so that means that progression on lifts is very aggressive, as you are doing each exercise every time you go to gym. Coupled with the fact that bodybuilders of late 40s, 50s and early 60s mostly didn't use steroids, how did they recover? Is really eating and sleeping just enough?

Lifter's Lounge - General Stalin - 03-05-2019

Recovery for bodybuilding is different than power lifting. Now bear with me there is some anecdotal broscience here, but your body can handle/recover from hypertrophy far easier than intensity/effort. You can do a shit load of "low effort" sets of 15-20 of isolation exercises, but hit some heavy triples and singles on a full body compound movement and your body is going be more stressed. This is also why top-level bodybuilders typically work out twice a day, and top-level powerlifters will train once every other day, and may only hit heavy movements once in while (for example, some elite-level powerlifters only deadlift a couple times a month).

Here are in my opinion two very different old school full body routines. First one is by Leroy Colbert and second one is by Reg Park. I think one will have much harder time recovering from Reg Park workout, since the weights used there are 5 reps, which is basically 80% of 1RM. Routine I am using now was used by Larry Scott and has 8 exercises.

Leroy Colbert
Body Drag Curl4x10
Close Grip Bench 4x10
Incline Curl 4x10
Overhead Triceps Extension 4x10
Weighted Pull-up 3x10
Incline Bench Press 3x10
Bent-Over Barbell Row 3x10
Decline Dumbbell Fly 3x10
Barbell Front Squat 3x10
Military Press 3x10
Hack Squat 3x10
Dumbbell Lateral Raise 3x10
Standing Calf Raise 3x15
Seated Calf Raise 3x15

Reg Park
Squat 5x5
Front Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Overhead Press5x5
Barbell Row 5x5
Deadlift 5x5
Behind The Neck Press 5x5
Barbell Curl 5x5
Skull Crushers 5x8
Standing Calf Raises 5x25

Note: set x rep is actually 3x5, as first 2 sets are warmup sets (60% and 80% of working weight).

Lifter's Lounge - H1N1 - 03-05-2019

These kinds of thinks are fine if you are very young, or genetically well set up to lift heavy weights.

For lifters who are no longer very young - late twenties or older - or who have a lighter bone structure, these routines would be real overkill.

3-5 sets of 8-12 squats with perfect form, to rock bottom, is enough by itself to make for a good training day.

A lot of these routines come about because people find it very hard to believe that you can do a remarkably small amount of very high quality work, and reap 90% of the rewards of far more intensive programs, while avoiding in large part the risks of injury, joint degradation, burn out, and straightforward fatigue bleeding over and affecting your everyday life. 90%, consistently, over years and decades, will keep you healthy, energised, and physically attractive, while avoiding chronic injury, and fatigue.

This is a lesson I have taken 11 years of training to accept. It has taken me this long to appreciate just how far you can go on how little work, providing one focuses on doing high quality work.

So you are a fan of abbreviated routines?