Roosh V Forum
Low-Carb Lifestyle - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Low-Carb Lifestyle (/thread-3146.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Low-Carb Lifestyle - babelfish669 - 08-07-2011

Dash - I would suggest slowly phasing things out of your diet first, then a few weeks in start exercising. When I exercise heavily my food intake increases about 30%.

First get rid of all of the processed liquid calories - soda, fruit juice, and the like. I've never met a fat person who isn't dramatically over consuming liquid calories. They might be acting like someone watching their weight, and then they drink 1,000 calories. If you cut this out you should drop 5-10 pounds pretty much right away with no effort on your part.

4 weeks in, begin replace your carbohydrates with animal food sources. Instead of eating cereal for breakfast switch to bacon and eggs. Instead of pasta, ground beef.

I wouldn't do more than low intensity exercises until you have a grasp on the diet.

As a male you can sustainably eat this way for the rest of your life. I have yet to see a female able to control herself on a strict diet.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - Chad Daring - 08-07-2011

Quote: (08-07-2011 11:29 AM)babelfish669 Wrote:  

Dash - I would suggest slowly phasing things out of your diet first, then a few weeks in start exercising. When I exercise heavily my food intake increases about 30%.

First get rid of all of the processed liquid calories - soda, fruit juice, and the like. I've never met a fat person who isn't dramatically over consuming liquid calories. They might be acting like someone watching their weight, and then they drink 1,000 calories. If you cut this out you should drop 5-10 pounds pretty much right away with no effort on your part.

4 weeks in, begin replace your carbohydrates with animal food sources. Instead of eating cereal for breakfast switch to bacon and eggs. Instead of pasta, ground beef.

I wouldn't do more than low intensity exercises until you have a grasp on the diet.

As a male you can sustainably eat this way for the rest of your life. I have yet to see a female able to control herself on a strict diet.

This is great advice, but Im an advocate of trial by fire, a system like Atkins (which I'm currently on) is what I like.

Dieting properly is all about control, and starting off easy and weening down could (not saying it will) set you up to pick up bad/lazy habits in eating.

Right now Im in the induction stage of Atkins (extreme limitation on net carbs keeping under 20g a day)

Im going to keep this up for another week or two (been in induction for 3 weeks now) and then slowly phase into a paleo style diet that focuses on natural carbs (fruits and veggies)

I like what Smitty said about using things like fruits as desert as well, its a treat, something that would've been eaten rarely. In regards to training eating fruit at the meal before you workout would probably work well too.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - Dash Global - 08-07-2011

Quote: (08-07-2011 11:29 AM)babelfish669 Wrote:  

Sadly I enjoy eating my sinful foods too much to DRASTICALLY change my diet.

Im pretty sure when I get back into the gym and start playing basketball and tennis regularly with a conservative effort to eat more healthy I can achieve my desired look.

If not then I will have to consider going drastic and cutting out some of the stuff I love (icecream, pizza, pasta, cookies, cakes, ect)

Low-Carb Lifestyle - mangadooza - 08-08-2011

Btw, no one has to cut out sweets to lose weight (gaining muscle is another story, where protein becomes more important). Eating "healthy" is just an easy way to consume less calories -- no conscious calorie counting, greater appetite satiety, etc.

Take your weight, multiply it by 10, and that's how many calories you can consume. For a 200 lb guy, that's 2000 calories worth of cake and chocolate.

Some nutrition professor did this by going on a "twinkie diet" and lost like 30 pounds. Granted, it's kind of a pain of the ass to count calories and feel hungry, but it's another option on the table. You can also choose the middle route and eat mostly healthy, with a sweet here and there, provided you stay under your caloric target.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - Smitty - 08-08-2011

Quote: (08-08-2011 12:25 AM)mangadooza Wrote:  

Some nutrition professor did this by going on a "twinkie diet" and lost like 30 pounds. Granted, it's kind of a pain of the ass to count calories and feel hungry, but it's another option on the table. You can also choose the middle route and eat mostly healthy, with a sweet here and there, provided you stay under your caloric target.

True statement.
At the end of the day, it's all about caloric intake. Doing the twinkie diet does not take into consideration all the other side effects - digestive porblems, no energy, damage to the body, diabetes, etc. But it does work because the caloric deficit is the key to losing weight.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - kbell - 08-08-2011

careful what weight you lose too. sometimes its mainly muscle and bone which is not what you want. this is what happens a lot with low calorie, low fat and vegetarian diets. Any diet should have a strong focus on maintaining daily nutrition. What you get from a multi vitamin is not enough.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - MiXX - 08-11-2011

Quote: (08-07-2011 06:55 PM)Chad Daring Wrote:  

Right now Im in the induction stage of Atkins (extreme limitation on net carbs keeping under 20g a day)

Im going to keep this up for another week or two (been in induction for 3 weeks now) and then slowly phase into a paleo style diet that focuses on natural carbs (fruits and veggies)

Curious. How much weight did you lose in these 3 weeks?

Mixx

Low-Carb Lifestyle - metalhaze - 08-11-2011

I think it should be the Low SIMPLE carb lifestyle (i.e. avoiding sugar, white bread, pasta and rice). whole Rye bred has lots of fiber and is healthy for example. one needs complexe carbs (with FIBERS) for energy. as long as 30-50% of the carbs are fiber then it should be ok.

Trans fats and hydrogenated oils should be avoided at all costs though...

Low-Carb Lifestyle - Smitty - 08-12-2011

Quote: (08-11-2011 06:42 PM)metalhaze Wrote:  

I think it should be the Low SIMPLE carb lifestyle (i.e. avoiding sugar, white bread, pasta and rice). whole Rye bred has lots of fiber and is healthy for example. one needs complexe carbs (with FIBERS) for energy. as long as 30-50% of the carbs are fiber then it should be ok.

Everything you wrote (except about trans fat) is what we've been raised to believe but highly disputed by the Paleo community. There are many who argue that NO bread is healthy and that the need for fiber (at least according to U.S. recommendations) is not necessary.

I personally have dismissed most of what I learned growing up and had to start with a blank slate to figure out what works best (i.e. natural) for my body. Everyone is the same, yet we're all so different.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - JayMillz - 08-13-2011

This dude looks lean (possible roid head also) but how do you get that hole in the stomach look? http://youtu.be/wWRKKyM6Ccg

Low-Carb Lifestyle - metalhaze - 08-13-2011

Quote: (08-12-2011 05:56 AM)Smitty Wrote:  

Quote: (08-11-2011 06:42 PM)metalhaze Wrote:  

Everything you wrote (except about trans fat) is what we've been raised to believe but highly disputed by the Paleo community. There are many who argue that NO bread is healthy and that the need for fiber (at least according to U.S. recommendations) is not necessary.

I personally have dismissed most of what I learned growing up and had to start with a blank slate to figure out what works best (i.e. natural) for my body. Everyone is the same, yet we're all so different.

the purpose of fiber is to help you shit and so you can eat more.

a personal acquaintance of mine used to eat very little fiber (he works out and is buff) ripped his asshole when shitting (not kidding) and had to go to the ER in the middle of the night because he was bleeding so much...he changed his diet and now adds lots of fibers.

All am saying is eat all the carbs you want but let them be filled with fibers and be complex carbs i.e. not simple sugars.

Second, eat all the meat that you want but try to get some LEAN cuts
and avoid processed meat.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - amistod - 08-13-2011

Quote: (08-13-2011 08:54 AM)JayMillz Wrote:  

This dude looks lean (possible roid head also) but how do you get that hole in the stomach look? http://youtu.be/wWRKKyM6Ccg

that guy looks way gross. i can't imagine a chick wanting to bang a dude that looked like that.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - MiXX - 08-13-2011

I have mentioned before. I have asked DOZENS of women if they sexually desire men like that. I would guess I asked close to 40 women. Only about 8 said they felt a huge attraction to that type. The rest felt more attraction to the Ryan Reynolds physique, not the Jersey Shore Roid douche.

Mixx

Low-Carb Lifestyle - Chad Daring - 08-13-2011

Quote: (08-13-2011 02:58 PM)amistod Wrote:  

Quote: (08-13-2011 08:54 AM)JayMillz Wrote:  

that guy looks way gross. i can't imagine a chick wanting to bang a dude that looked like that.

Exactly this. I've heard a lot of women candidly talk about how much they dislike the overly built muscle guy. From what I've always been told, that level of cut is unnatural, 10% body fat is as low as a man should go.

@MiXX

This pic shows my change spanning 2 months, I took the after picture just tonight, and I've now been on Atkins for 4 weeks. I can tell you I lost the bulk of the weight in those 4 weeks.

I've still got maybe 10 or so pounds of fat to deal with, but hopefully another month or two on Atkins will do the trick. The magic of the first few weeks is gone, but I can still see the weight coming off, its just slower now.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - amistod - 08-15-2011

Chad pic 1 looks to be about where I am now. I am down ~30 lbs so far, with an untold amount of muscle being built. I had pretty much never worked out in 28 years.

Are you concerned about ballooning once you get off atkins? Do you feel like you can transition in to a normal paleo style after the 'detox' of straight atkins?

Low-Carb Lifestyle - Chad Daring - 08-15-2011

Quote: (08-15-2011 09:24 AM)amistod Wrote:  

Chad pic 1 looks to be about where I am now. I am down ~30 lbs so far, with an untold amount of muscle being built. I had pretty much never worked out in 28 years.

Are you concerned about ballooning once you get off atkins? Do you feel like you can transition in to a normal paleo style after the 'detox' of straight atkins?

I'm not a woman, so yes. [Image: tard.gif]

I've heard a lot of horror stories about people having this issue, and to me its just like dieting in the first place, its all about how much you want it. I want it, bad, and really now that I've seen "the light" about how terrible for you bread and starch is, I dont think I'll every willing eat any of it again.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - Docter - 08-21-2011

end of august means it's been a year since I started the paleo diet/low carb.

I could probably throw some light on questions you guys have.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - Smitty - 08-21-2011

Chad Daring, with your build now, if you did a round of P90x, you'd be ripped. You have enough mass on your body and the workouts would totally shred the remaining fat to pieces.
When I did it, I add to add some complex carbs into my diet. Can't do P90x on Paleo.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - Donald Duck - 12-25-2011

Quote: (08-03-2011 05:37 AM)Smitty Wrote:  

People who eat Paleo often justify eating foods with a high fat content (such as bacon, butter, lard, etc). I don't. When I eat that food, it makes me feel like shit. So I don't care if my ancestors ate it, I don't do well with it. But those fatties on the paleo forums insist that it's ok to eat bacon three times/day. I can see oils and avocado and the such with high fat content, but pure fat from meat just doesn't do it for me.

I really have my doubts about this paleo diet.

Just because our ancestors ate 'all natural' food, doesn't mean it's good for you. The pro-paleo websites try to tell you it's good food because they didn't die of diabetes and cancer. What they don't tell is that the reason we get those diseases is because of things like air pollution, chemicals, etc. I really have my doubts about Paleo dieters intelligence when they say it's good to eat pork liver pate just because it's natural.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - kbell - 12-26-2011

paleo is more involved than just natural foods. its also about anti nutrients, omega 3/6 ratios, phytates, lectins, insulin and more. Liver is very healthy if its grass fed, although you only eat about once or twice a week to avoid too much vitamin A. its like a super multi vitamin. I want to introduce it someday soon.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - Prowl - 12-27-2011

No one on legit Paleo should be eating lard, it's all about lean meats, preferably grass-fed/pastured.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - kbell - 12-27-2011

Paleo is not anti saturate fat anymore. Lard by itself is harmless, although not kosher. Tallow is better since it has more Omega 3. You eat as much fat as you can tolerate. Its possible you might need more protein than anything, it is different for each person how much of a macro nutrient you need.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - Chad Daring - 01-02-2012

Quote: (12-27-2011 12:20 PM)Prowl Wrote:  

No one on legit Paleo should be eating lard, it's all about lean meats, preferably grass-fed/pastured.

Most cooking requires some kind of fat as a medium to convey heat/flavor. I'd much prefer lard over chemical laden vegetable oil.

The best option to get fattier meats and render them out as they cook. Let the fat in the meat melt off and then cook the whole dish in that. Not applicable in all cases, but a lot of recipes can be worked out this way.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - the chef - 03-28-2012

so i've experienced 2 months on very little/low carbs. of course i would eat a pasta dish or a nice burger (not mcdonalds) once a week or so, but never ate any type of breads, pastas, or rice with my meals i ate at home.

i've been back on carbs for the past few weeks and i've got to say that i already feel much better. i'm able to work out and play sports so much more and i have more energy. my main sources of carbs are brown rice for lunch, rye bread for breakfast, and every now and then i might have some pasta.

i'm able to get a work out in the morning, a jog in the afternoon, and play sports every night, and i feel a significant increase in my energy and focus.

Low-Carb Lifestyle - redacted - 03-29-2012

one tip for anyone who is serious about this...get a scale that records body weight, body fat % (not BMI, that's a useless metric) and if possible, hydration. tanita makes nice scales for this. record this data every morning after you wake up and flush out your system. over time, you will see very neat trends emerge. if you're more statistically minded, you can build out a spreadsheet with some derivative metrics and averages and really get your hands dirty.

also, lost 25+ lbs doing carb restriction with no adverse effects. the nay-sayers are wrong, period.