Roosh V Forum
Lifter's Lounge - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+---- Forum: Fitness (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-6.html)
+---- Thread: Lifter's Lounge (/thread-38933.html)

Lifter's Lounge - TeachNExplore - 11-30-2018

AO, sounds like you're making great progress. Keep it up. My suggestion would be to look up some strength training programs like starting strength or wendler 5x5 that incorporate compound movements to get your weightlifting routine started. Start light and really dial in your form to avoid injury. Maybe hire a strength coach for a few sessions or have a buddy who lifts check your form. You'll be pleasantly surprised how much progress you'll make in a short amount of time as a new lifter as long as you stay consistent.

Upgrayedd, I have an issue with getting bored with cardio as well. Have you tried martial arts as a form of cardio? MT and BJJ are great and I never find myself bored in class and the relationships formed in class and the motivation to get better give me a reason to go consistently and train hard.

SterlingArcher and ShroudedMist. Thanks for the props. Dropping the fat in 5 weeks was definitely a challenge. I was very motivated at the time to make a change.

Lifter's Lounge - godfather dust - 11-30-2018

Quote: (11-30-2018 04:06 AM)Upgrayedd Wrote:  

What kind of cardio are you guys doing? I'm thinking about buying a rower or Airdyne or something now that it's cold out, so I don't even need to leave my apartment. I have a prowler, but if I work late I can't use it, it's pretty loud on pavement and I don't want to bother the neighbors. I find steady cardio really boring, so thinking if I get an Airdyne or a recumbent bike I can watch TV while I do it, and can also do sprints on it for conditioning.

I was doing elliptical because of my weight (didn't want to hurt knees) but lost a ton and jog now because it's much less boring (almost at the end of good days for this in New England.)

The most fun is playing basketball (pick up games) though.

Lifter's Lounge - Upgrayedd - 11-30-2018

Quote:Quote:

Upgrayedd, I have an issue with getting bored with cardio as well. Have you tried martial arts as a form of cardio? MT and BJJ are great and I never find myself bored in class and the relationships formed in class and the motivation to get better give me a reason to go consistently and train hard.

I have in the past and it was great, may get back into it. I'm trying to decide if I should stay in my current city or move, so I don't want to sign up for anything with a contract right now.

Lifter's Lounge - Dulceácido - 12-01-2018

Quote: (11-30-2018 05:54 AM)Fortis Wrote:  

Been locked in at 80kg for a week or so. Feeling damn good. I got a tiny bit of bloat from all the eating but I'm convinced I can drop it in a few days if I just control for salt and oil. I'm tempted to push for another 5kg. I'd love to cruise at 190 pounds lean in the future.

I think the conversion from the metric system to U.S. standard measure will look good on you. lol!

[Image: highfive.gif]

Lifter's Lounge - Fury - 12-02-2018

I want to exclaim my praise for the Sheiko powerlifting program. I have been following it on and off for the past few weeks and even then I made some huge gains. Granted, I have been lifting and playing sports most of my life (also a veteran) so I consider myself an intermediate-advanced lifter. However, I am new to powerlifting and on a recommendation, decided to try out the Sheiko program.

I lacked discipline this past month so I didn't follow the program completely and slacked off on my diet but still noticed some good gains. I checked my maxes a few days ago and hit all lifetime PRs.

Bench: 160kg
Squat: 200kg
Deadlift: 220kg
Wilks score: 399.16

I've always had a weak bench but hopefully I can improve it as I follow the program. I felt like I could have deadlifted 5-10kg more but I heard a pop in my palm during the last lift and stopped at 220kg. It is currently swollen with some pain and I have been icing it for the past couple days. Not sure what I did but hopefully won't keep me out for long.

Anyone else following Sheiko? How have you liked it so far? And what about your diet? I actually struggle to hit my daily calorie goal but still have a slight belly bloat due to never doing any cardio or high intensity training...

Lifter's Lounge - General Stalin - 12-03-2018

What were your numbers before starting this program and how long was the training cycle before your new maxes?

Impressive numbers, but it would be beneficial to see where you started out at.

Lifter's Lounge - sterling_archer - 12-03-2018

Noticed this guy just today because Alpha Destiny had an interview with him. Natty beast and down to Earth, humble guy.

Tobi Alder

Lifter's Lounge - Fury - 12-03-2018

I had tried the Sheiko for the first time back in February but only stuck with it for a month. It's a great program but each workout can take a while since there are so many reps. You can easily be in the gym for over 2 hours a session.

9 February 2018 PRs:
Bench: 140kg
Squat: 187.5kg
Deadlift: 185kg

I then decided to try it out again this fall so I check my maxes around the end of October, then I had one false start where I did one week of the program. Ultimately, I got off track and it felt too light so I restarted around early-mid November with the 'CMS-MS Prep'; which is 4 days a week, 4 weeks long and 1355 total reps. I only got to the first day of week 3 before I stopped. No excuses, I am just being lazy and undisciplined. Although I have always been a solitary and self-motivated lifter, it would be cool to have a partner when it comes to powerlifting.

2 October 2018 PRs:
Bench: 135kg
Deadlift: 185kg

The October PRs look anomalous compared to the February PRs but I had taken some time off from the gym in the summer so my maxes either went down or plateaued except for squat (I've always had a strong squat). However, it didn't take long for me to get back to normal levels. Below are my maxes before I completed the 2 out of 4 weeks of the 'CMS-MS Prep'.

7 November 2018 PRs:
Deadlift: 205kg

Those maxes were recorded on 7 November, which was after I did one week of the Sheiko program. The maxes from my previous post were recorded on 1 December 2018.

Lifter's Lounge - ìlikegirls - 12-03-2018

I have just started powerlifting after I trained other sport like MMA/grappling/boxing/kick boxing and crossfit.

How many powerlifters here?

How many days do you train per week? Do you do some cardio too or just lifting?

Lifter's Lounge - Jaxon - 12-04-2018

^I'd call myself a powerlifter, I mostly focus on squats and deads with some upper body hypertrophy per week. I would do two sessions per week with 3-4 BJJ sessions on the off days.

It's a pretty dope way of gaining size and strength. I was always a scrawny dude at around 160 @ 6'2, now I'm in the high 170's and sometimes way around 180 after a meal. Easily the heaviest I've ever been in my life. I gained all this weight within the course of a year. I'm not even putting up huge lifts. I rep out 245 for squats and deads (I could do a 5x5 with this weight).

I could be wrong but I feel like circuit and hypertrophy workouts are better for martial arts than pure low rep powerlifting. A 5x5 deadlift would fry my CNS and make BJJ the next day a miserable mess. After a circuit I feel pretty refreshed and can go into BJJ feeling good.

I'm taking a slow and steady approach to my fitness. I've put a hundred pounds on my squat, gained twenty lbs in bodyweight, and am deadlifting the most I have in years (put up 405 in college then injured myself). I've been doing BJJ for approx a year (like 11 months) and am making good gains there too. I made way better progress once I actually got coaching and training and signed up for a martial arts gym where the average person is better than I am. I was rolling 4x per practice at my old gym which was nothing, now I do between 9 to 13 bouts and my skill level has skyrocketed as a result.

Pretty happy with how things are going. Hoping to get my blue belt in 2020 and be squatting/deadlifting in the 300's by the end of the year. I'd like to go into my thirties at elite powerlifting status with squat/dead in the 400s...definitely think this is doable within the next year or two.

When did everyone here reach their physical peak? I'm curious.

Lifter's Lounge - ìlikegirls - 12-05-2018

Strength training and hypertrophy are important for combat sports, strength and resistance can help during fighting, hypertrophy can prevent injuries. Program should be done by a coach expert in this field, not by a body builder/fitness coach. Body building is good for body looking but not for sports. One of the problem main problem is that a too heavy lifting workout can take your energy for BJJ training, or let you too sore the day after. That's why I said one coach expert in this field, he would make a right program. But since your are not a pro you can stop if you are too tired, and then decide what do you prefer to focus on.
So 2 times per week weight training + BJJ is good.

How is your lifting program? full body or split?

In the PL gym I have just signed for they told me split programs aren't good, they prefer full body. I thought that split programs were better for natural althetes. What do you think?

Lifter's Lounge - General Stalin - 12-05-2018

Quote: (12-03-2018 03:33 PM)Fury Wrote:  

7 November 2018 PRs:
Quote: (12-02-2018 05:14 PM)Fury Wrote:  

You added over 30 lbs to your deadlift and over 40 lbs to your bench in less than a month with half-assed training? I'm not saying that program isn't good or anything, but it looks like you can put on strength pretty easy with likely any basic program with any semblance of structure. Especially starting out with an over 1200 lbs. total at only 175 lbs... hell it took me a year to add 40 lbs to my bench and I'm still relatively a newbie.

Quote: (12-04-2018 02:42 AM)Jaxon Wrote:  

I'm will to bet most people here will say the same thing: they have not hit their peak.

We are all making progress here and getting bigger better and stronger constantly. I started lifting in earnest when I was 27. I'm 30 now and I'm stronger and more fit than I was when I started, and I plan to be even better next year. At this rate, I plan to be in better shape when I'm 40 than I am right now at 30.

Lifter's Lounge - Dalaran1991 - 12-06-2018

Haven't felt this good in a while. The other day in the gym I miscalculated and put on a 25kg plate instead of 20kg.
I was thinking why the hell is it so heavy today but I ended up finishing the set.

So I was benching 80kg x 6 reps and I weight 57kg! I broke all my personal record by mistake

Been in a plateau for a long time but finally I'm getting the good sore in my pecs again that tells me it's developping.

Lifter's Lounge - JimBobsCooters - 12-06-2018

Quote: (12-05-2018 05:29 PM)General Stalin Wrote:  

I'm will to bet most people here will say the same thing: they have not hit their peak.

We are all making progress here and getting bigger better and stronger constantly. I started lifting in earnest when I was 27. I'm 30 now and I'm stronger and more fit than I was when I started, and I plan to be even better next year. At this rate, I plan to be in better shape when I'm 40 than I am right now at 30.

Depending how you measure it I'm happy to say I'll never be close to where I was at at 25 and that I peaked there. Cardio, strength and size I will never get to that point again and to be honest I'm not trying (cardio would be nice to get close though). I'm now far more interested in the aesthetic side of it rather than the performance and I do hope to hit a new peak on that front at least, though I have a long way to go there as well. 8+ years of major injuries are my reason though so I'm kind of an exception, if I'd been healthy and able to train in that period I have no doubt I'd be saying the same thing you are.

Lifter's Lounge - ìlikegirls - 12-06-2018

what do you think about keto diet for heavy weight lifting?

Is anyone on Keto here?

Lifter's Lounge - MOVSM - 12-06-2018

It's called Ketogains. Another one is Leangains. There is very little difference between them.

For the love of all that is holy, please use the search function--we discussed this very subject on the previous page.

Lifter's Lounge - ìlikegirls - 12-06-2018

Quote: (12-06-2018 04:19 PM)MOVSM Wrote:  

It's called Ketogains. Another one is Leangains. There is very little difference between them.

For the love of all that is holy, please use the search function--we discussed this very subject on the previous page.

Thanks for your reply. Do you know approx. how many pages back?

Lifter's Lounge - MOVSM - 12-06-2018

do you need to be spoon fed too? maybe help with comprehension and definition of "previous"?

[Image: 721e8e6ed056c4f2ddc8685e3fdb4ec9--foghor...es-wal.jpg]

Lifter's Lounge - ìlikegirls - 12-07-2018

ahhh.....What a alpha male answer! You probably need to answer like that because of your lack of self esteem. In your mind it will boost your weak self esteem.

When was your last time you got laid? 3 year ago? You seem pretty frustrated!

AHhaahaha

Lifter's Lounge - Fury - 12-08-2018

Quote: (12-05-2018 05:29 PM)General Stalin Wrote:  

Quote: (12-03-2018 03:33 PM)Fury Wrote:  

7 November 2018 PRs:
Quote: (12-02-2018 05:14 PM)Fury Wrote:  

You added over 30 lbs to your deadlift and over 40 lbs to your bench in less than a month with half-assed training? I'm not saying that program isn't good or anything, but it looks like you can put on strength pretty easy with likely any basic program with any semblance of structure. Especially starting out with an over 1200 lbs. total at only 175 lbs... hell it took me a year to add 40 lbs to my bench and I'm still relatively a newbie.

To be fair I didn't have a spotter when I maxed out at 140kg as opposed to having a good spotter when I maxed out at 160kg on the bench. I probably could have gone a little higher than 140 back in November.

I have been lifting since I was 11-12 and was already benching in the low 300lbs by the time I was 19 (weighing in the high 150lbs). But I spent years actually not doing bench press because of various injuries from sports/military. However, now that I have programmed bench press back into my workouts whilst following sheiko, I think I will have plenty of jumps in my bench maxes; not only do I have a strong baseline, I also have plenty of room for growth.

Earlier, there was a conversation about pairing PLing with other fitness regimes. My ultimate goal is to PL 3-4 days a week and do Brasilian Jiu Jitsu 1-2 days a week. I just have to figure out if my body will be able to handle the strain and if it will be able to recover throughout the week. In my opinion, BJJ and PL is a great combination that can have benefits in both sports. When I was rolling for a bit, I noticed that my strength was a huge factor in my effectiveness. Once more technique comes along, that will be a lethal combination. I imagine doing BJJ would be beneficial for PL as it can loosen us up, improve flexibility and be a source of cardio that doesn't have a ton of impact on the joints.

Anyone here a certified coach or BJJ instructor? Would be good to hear from someone that has expertise in both areas. Or at least someone that already has experience combining these both for a long period of time...

Lifter's Lounge - sterling_archer - 12-08-2018

Has anybody here endorsed full body old school routines? Read some interesting articles about routines that are very simple in design, but huge in volume. All bodybuilders trained like that in pre steroid era. What I am interested in though are these routines sustainable today with our nutrition? Everybody knows food was healthier back then and guys like Colbert, Park, Gironda would today be steroid users.

Here is interesting article: https://www.t-nation.com/training/full-b...he-legends

Colbert method has 14 exercises per day! Is this workable at all?

Lifter's Lounge - zatara - 12-12-2018

Quote: (12-08-2018 04:35 PM)sterling_archer Wrote:  

Has anybody here endorsed full body old school routines? Read some interesting articles about routines that are very simple in design, but huge in volume. All bodybuilders trained like that in pre steroid era. What I am interested in though are these routines sustainable today with our nutrition? Everybody knows food was healthier back then and guys like Colbert, Park, Gironda would today be steroid users.

Here is interesting article: https://www.t-nation.com/training/full-b...he-legends

Colbert method has 14 exercises per day! Is this workable at all?

They're really interesting. I'd question the utility of hitting the same muscle group every 2 days when not on large amounts of gear or getting newbie gains, though. Based on any sort of training program I've done, or heard of through rugby coaches, that is massive overkill, and wouldn't give near enough recovery time. Doing 50+ sets per workout is also massive for anyone natural, both in time and effort.

I'd wager all of the guys named in the article were on large amounts of steroids while doing these splits - steroids have been in use in weightlifting since the late 1940s, so none of the guys mentioned are really pre-steroid era.

Lifter's Lounge - alexdagr81 - 12-12-2018

I started 5/3/1 forever. I am doing a routine that features squats, presses and power cleans. Power clean is my new favorite because of how difficult it has been for me to do correctly

Lifter's Lounge - sterling_archer - 12-12-2018

Quote: (12-12-2018 01:32 PM)zatara Wrote:  

I'd wager all of the guys named in the article were on large amounts of steroids while doing these splits - steroids have been in use in weightlifting since the late 1940s, so none of the guys mentioned are really pre-steroid era.

I agree with your whole post and my question about these routines is purely curiosity but I heard the same regarding steroid use in WWII era. At the same time it is countered by argument that steroids were weaker then and used exclusively for therapy. Seems like it was a decade later when bodybuilders "got idea" to use them actually.

Lifter's Lounge - General Stalin - 12-12-2018

Why skeptical about hitting same muscle groups every other day? The body does not need as much recovery as you think... unless maybe you're training extreme and leave it all on the gym floor every workout. If you're working within 95%+ I would recommend taking a few days in between working those same areas again, but hell I train bench press and all related accessories every other day and it works just fine. as long as you aren't destroying yourself every workout then 48 hours is plenty of rest to hit those workouts again.