Roosh V Forum
Lifter's Lounge - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+---- Forum: Fitness (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-6.html)
+---- Thread: Lifter's Lounge (/thread-38933.html)

Lifter's Lounge - Steelex - 03-27-2018

I had a great workout today.

Over the weekend I was sick from Friday to through Monday and didn't do much but snooze and try to eat. Missed like 3 days in the gym because of it.

Went in today fully expecting to have a fairly mediocre workout due to dehydration, congestion, lack of nutrition, ect. Total opposite thing happened, ended up beating all my previous sets from the last back workout by 10lbs. Even added an extra work set on deads. Normally I'd be adding 2.5lbs to the bar, but I was feeling very froggy and cleared the extra weight with explosive ease.

Success leaves clues. I can sort of guess from this that I may need to do more for recovery to keep the ball rolling on my linear progress.

Lifter's Lounge - Bluey - 03-27-2018

Quote: (03-27-2018 01:28 PM)sterling_archer Wrote:  

Sorry to be "that guy" but I must ask. I searched the forum regarding SS and beginner programs and while I read plenty, there were sometimes contradictions or reasons against so I am bit confused. To explain my situation.
I have been lifting regularly at home for some months lately, finally I got serious regarding nutrition (had to get my thinking straight first) so I have some gains for that small amount of time I have put into.

I will start next month going to gym (more choice) and am wondering should I do SL5x5 or SS? Like I said, different opinions regarding this. Which of these programs is more suitable for beginner like me and which will offer better "return" of my "investment" when I get good nutrition and progressive overload into equation?

Well, if you're doing weights for strength I'd go with SS. But if you're doing it with a eye to bodybuilding, have a look at greyskull LP.

Lifter's Lounge - sterling_archer - 03-28-2018

First time I hear about greyskull LP. Did a quick look and I must ask what is the general difference to SS except different reps range and is it really for complete beginners?

Quote: (03-27-2018 06:50 PM)General Stalin Wrote:  

I always recommend Starting Strength for beginners as part of the basis of the program is teaching familiarity and proficiency with the primary barbell movements as well as consistent linear progression.

The only criticism to SS is that it does not scale well as you will plateau with it. Some might plateau in 3-6 months, some might not plateau for a year, but by design it cannot go on forever as you cannot keep adding 5lbs. every workout. Beginner gains do end.

If doing SS, do you recommend to stick with power cleans or to substitute them with rows?

Lifter's Lounge - Bluey - 03-28-2018

Quote: (03-28-2018 01:59 AM)sterling_archer Wrote:  

First time I hear about greyskull LP. Did a quick look and I must ask what is the general difference to SS except different reps range and is it really for complete beginners?

It's similar in progression in the big lifts, but throws in some bodybuilding stuff, and can have quicker progression. If you hit 10+ reps on the plus set you add double the weight you would've otherwise.
Plenty of people have used it with good results, personally I used SS subbing power cleans with rows. End of the day though, pick something that uses the big three with linear progression every session and as a beginner you're good for six months or so.

I will probably go for SS and do couple of chin-up sets at the end of workout to hit arms more and then later when my progress slows down see what is next.

Lifter's Lounge - H1N1 - 03-28-2018

This, if you push yourself hard and can get in the gym for 40 minutes 6 times per week, is the program I have been having the most success of my lifting career on: https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-be...al-lifters

I've had to tweak a few exercises because I don't have the equipment or want to put slightly more emphasis on a particular muscle group WITHIN a given movement. I was a bit skeptical before I started because it looks like very little volume, and a bunch of kooky techniques, but I've put on some muscle, stayed very lean, and my strength is improving across most of my lifts (I've been lifting long enough that I don't expect weekly progress, particularly as I am trying to stay pretty lean at this point). Importantly, it's very easy to do, hasn't got boring, and is quick.

Lifter's Lounge - General Stalin - 03-28-2018

Quote: (03-28-2018 02:01 AM)sterling_archer Wrote:  

If doing SS, do you recommend to stick with power cleans or to substitute them with rows?

I recommend you stick with whatever the program prescribes until you are experienced enough to decide you are ready to experiment/add specificity to your programming.

Power cleans are a better full-body strength builder than rows are.

Lifter's Lounge - Intuitive - 03-28-2018

Quote: (03-27-2018 08:59 PM)Steelex Wrote:  

I had a great workout today.

Over the weekend I was sick from Friday to through Monday and didn't do much but snooze and try to eat. Missed like 3 days in the gym because of it.

Went in today fully expecting to have a fairly mediocre workout due to dehydration, congestion, lack of nutrition, ect. Total opposite thing happened, ended up beating all my previous sets from the last back workout by 10lbs. Even added an extra work set on deads. Normally I'd be adding 2.5lbs to the bar, but I was feeling very froggy and cleared the extra weight with explosive ease.

Success leaves clues. I can sort of guess from this that I may need to do more for recovery to keep the ball rolling on my linear progress.

I experienced similar anomalies when I would do daytime fasts. Working out in the evening after 12 hours with no food and actually feeling stronger. I still don't have a solid explanation.

Lifter's Lounge - Steelex - 03-28-2018

Sometimes it's just a neural thing. They say we each have a time of day where our body temp is highest, and that's when we train best.

I know that I can't train worth a fuck in the morning. I'm very much an evening lifter. I typically wake up fairly relaxed, have a little mid day sleepiness, and get pretty wired in the evening. Once that evening fire wears off though, I can lay down and be out in 3-5 minutes flat.

Lifter's Lounge - ColSpanker - 03-28-2018

Anyone familiar with "The Barbel Prescription"? It's a book on lifting for older men. I'm trying to follow it's program. I'm still in the novice category and don't know if I should wait to advance until I can chin-up my own weight for five reps.

Lifter's Lounge - Montrose - 03-29-2018

I have read the book. It’s not really a programming book: the programs they recommend are Starting strength (for novices) and the Texas Method (for intermediates) which are described in Rippetoe’s book.
Unless you are severely weakened by age, most of the usual programs will do fine. I did starting strength in my forties; I just had to deload more often and take more time for recovery than the standard version. Also, I had to stop linear progression with lower weights than most young guys would have.

Regarding chin ups: starting strength program adds chin ups in phase III so you will be working on them. By the time I finished starting strength I could do 4 or 5.

Lifter's Lounge - sterling_archer - 03-29-2018

Montrose, what gains did you have during SS?

Lifter's Lounge - Montrose - 03-29-2018

I had never lifted before and was very weak. Let’s say I went from zero to category II on Rippetoe’s strength standard table.

http://startingstrength.com/files/standards.pdf

It’s well short of Intermediate but I could no longer keep up with linear progression. Ideally a young guy should reach at least category III at the end of SS. I also went from zero to five chin ups and gained 8 pounds at roughly constant belt size.

Lifter's Lounge - ColSpanker - 03-29-2018

Quote: (03-29-2018 02:26 AM)Montrose Wrote:  

I have read the book. It’s not really a programming book: the programs they recommend are Starting strength (for novices) and the Texas Method (for intermediates) which are described in Rippetoe’s book.
Unless you are severely weakened by age, most of the usual programs will do fine. I did starting strength in my forties; I just had to deload more often and take more time for recovery than the standard version. Also, I had to stop linear progression with lower weights than most young guys would have.

Regarding chin ups: starting strength program adds chin ups in phase III so you will be working on them. By the time I finished starting strength I could do 4 or 5.

Have the SS book too. I need to go back and use it more often. Can't even meet the weights in the chart you furnished, so will halt at phase 2 for awhile. I see that you're supposed to increase the weight as much as realistically possible too. Need to work on that.
One of my issues is that I am a cheap bastard and use the local Planet Fatness as my gym. It's a bit hard to work around their racks.

Lifter's Lounge - Intuitive - 03-29-2018

Does anyone have any suggestions for a quality protein powder? Or a good supplement manufacturer in general? After watching guys make supplements in their house in "Bigger, Stronger, Faster" I've become more selective about where I buy stuff.

Lifter's Lounge - Steelex - 03-29-2018

True Nutrition.

Lifter's Lounge - Bienvenuto - 03-29-2018

Quote: (03-29-2018 02:26 AM)Montrose Wrote:  

https://www.amazon.com/Practical-Program...dpSrc=srch

Rippetoe's companion book on programming.

Lifter's Lounge - General Stalin - 03-29-2018

Quote: (03-29-2018 09:02 AM)Intuitive Wrote:  

Does anyone have any suggestions for a quality protein powder? Or a good supplement manufacturer in general? After watching guys make supplements in their house in "Bigger, Stronger, Faster" I've become more selective about where I buy stuff.

https://us.myprotein.com

Their product is very low in ingredients and they have crazy flash sales all the time. I picked up an 11.5 lbs. bag a couple months ago for like $50.

Lifter's Lounge - AcftW - 03-29-2018

^ Just got my first 11 lb bag from Myprotein after someone (kaotic, I believe) recommended them during a sale a month or so ago. I took a chance on the cinnamon roll flavor, and while it doesn’t mix that great for me, it’s the best tasting protein powder I’ve ever had.

Lifter's Lounge - Hannibal - 03-29-2018

Quote: (03-29-2018 09:02 AM)Intuitive Wrote:  

Look up Amino Acid Spiking, sometimes the big ass generic brands of protein powder are actually the best (like the shit they sell at wally world). The reason why is because they have the economies of scale to make a quality product whereas some small company that has to make money will dump cheap amino acids into the powder to boost their product.

http://www.unbeatenfitness.com/blog/2015...id-spiking

Quote:unbeaten fitness Wrote:

PROTEIN SPIKING AKA AMINO ACID SPIKING
If you take supplements, it’s fairly likely that you take whey protein. Recently, there has been a huge spike (all pun intended) in discussion about the actual protein content vs. claimed protein content in many of the popular brands out there. I won’t name any names (since that’s what Google is for), but some of the good guys and some of the bad guys can be found below.

Instead of bashing those companies, I would actually like to share a chart that has been making the rounds over the past couple months and point out one of the major flaws in taking it at face value.

Chart courtesy of Chaos & Pain  

You see, this chart is missing a key column – Percentage of Claimed Protein. Let’s look at Optimum Nutrition’s Gold Standard Whey to illustrate the point. The chart shows the product at 24.6g of protein and 86.6% protein overall. Their packaging claims 24g of protein per serving, meaning they’re over 100% of their claimed protein content. Every single Optimum Nutrition product on this list follows the same pattern. Without any context as to how much protein a product had vs. what it claimed to have, this chart is actually fairly useless. Furthermore, if it’s taken at face value, it makes Optimum Nutrition look bad even though they’re delivering more than the promised amount of protein per serving in their products. However, the conversation about protein spiking is more complicated than claimed content vs. lab tested content.

So what’s Protein Spiking/ Amino Acid Spiking and why is it a big deal?

Protein spiking is essentially the practice of adding cheap amino acids (what proteins are broken down into by your digestive system) in the place of whole dietary protein to boost the claimed protein content. Supplement companies might add 5g per serving of a cheap amino acid to a 15g serving of whole whey protein, so that they can claim that their product has 20g of protein per serving in it. Biologically, you don’t benefit as much from 15g of whole protein and 5g of a single amino acid as you would from 20g of whole protein (like their labels lead you to believe you’re getting). Herein lies the problem.

So how can you protect yourself?

One of the easiest ways to protect yourself from being taken advantage of, is to make sure you’re not using a whey protein product that contains creatine. Due to an outdated test that is still utilized to measure protein content, 1g of creatine actually registers as 1.4g of protein. Companies get away with taking advantage of this because the FDA has very, very loose regulations on what can be called protein.

Another way you can protect yourself is by looking at the ingredient list on your protein. If you see glutamine/ glutamic acid ratios way out of whack in comparison to other amino acids, you may have protein that has been spiked. Additionally, if you have a whey protein product with very high levels of taurine, you can almost guarantee it has been spiked as taurine doesn’t occur at high levels in whey protein naturally.

My recommendation is to keep in mind the old adage “you get what you pay for.” If a protein product is priced in a way that’s too good to be true, the product probably is too good to be true.

If you have any questions or comments, don’t hesitate to comment below or email me directly.

Nick Brennan

Founder & CEO

Unbeaten Fitness

Posted on February 10, 2015 by Nick Brennan and tagged supps supplements protein creatine protein spiking.

As far as Myprotein, google coupon codes. I bought some on sale a while ago and found an additional coupon code that was relevant for that month and it knocked off another 10% off the top. This is a great deal if you buy in large quantities like I do.

Lifter's Lounge - sterling_archer - 03-29-2018

Quote: (03-29-2018 11:03 AM)AcftW Wrote:  

^ Just got my first 11 lb bag from Myprotein after someone (kaotic, I believe) recommended them during a sale a month or so ago. I took a chance on the cinnamon roll flavor, and while it doesn’t mix that great for me, it’s the best tasting protein powder I’ve ever had.

Good choice. They are pretty affordable, even in my country. Also good percentage of protein.

Lifter's Lounge - Bienvenuto - 03-30-2018

Advice?

Every time I do a Press, even with moderate or light weights, my neck and my trapezius along my spine seize up.

I've had this issue for a while but haven't had the stability in my life to attend to it.

A couple of years ago I threw a headbutt (which I used to be able to do easily and repetitively) and the same thing happened, neck and traps next to my spine seized up.

I've done quite a bit of pushups and chins, pulls over recent but not so much overhead pressing work. When I try to get into it I get this injury.

Is there a slow, graduated way to build up strength in this area. (the equivalent of press-ups against wall, press-ups against a table, press-ups on knees progression?)

Thanks.

Lifter's Lounge - Steelex - 03-30-2018

Bienvenuto,

Totally hard to say. You may be using your traps too much, or they may actually be too weak. Or both. They do get activated during an overhead press.

Try doing seated dumbell press or hammer strength machine overhead press. Other machines are ok too.

Despite it being a compound movement, with practice you can change how you fire the muscles involved in the lift. Try to focus on relaxing the traps and then making the shoulder the first muscle to fire during the concentric phase of the lift.

You could also try adding slight amounts of incline to the bench to remove tension off the traps. Again, it's hard to say exactly what the issue is.

Lifter's Lounge - Truth Teller - 04-02-2018

Quote: (03-28-2018 01:59 AM)sterling_archer Wrote:  

Greyskull is supposed to fix the fatigue management issue that SS often encounters. So with SS, you do 3x5 for most exercises (excluding DL and Power Clean), and if you fail with 3x5/1x5(DL)/5x3 on three consecutive occasions, you take 10% off and work back up.

Issue is, that's often just like banging your head against the wall. The two ways you can deal with it are dropping 10% and building back up with 4x5/2x5/6x3, or you can do what Greyskull does.

This article is pretty good: https://www.powerliftingtowin.com/greyskull-lp/