Roosh V Forum
Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! (/thread-9826.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Lateapex - 01-18-2018

Yeah I thought about going to liberty, got a couple buddies wanting me to go over there, but fuck Frac. Universals equipment actually looks worse than FTSI’s to me lol yeah stingray is based out of the Northeast. US well Services is also out of the northeast but they just opened a yard last year in Bryan, near college station and I believe they’re still looking for people. They’re running a 2/1 schedule as well I believe. Wages have gone up 20-25% for me. Gonna be tough getting good pay until you get your class a with x endorsement pretty much.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Aviel - 02-19-2018

How is the job market in Alberta now? Oil prices went up to 70$ but fell to 62$-65$

Is it competitive to get a job in the Oil & Gas service companies like Wellheads, Coiled Tubing, Completion, etc..? Do they pay well? I think those are just better than being a Rig worker... in my opinion

How about the oil job market in other provinces like Newfoundland and Saskatchewan?

Is it best to apply online or head over to a preferred province and just walk in and try to get a hold of the hiring manager till I land a job? or Linkedin?

I did read at least the first 20 pages of this thread but times are different now.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - frogger - 02-20-2018

Going to graduate with degree in Electrical Engineering, took 6 years since I got jaded and nihilistic after second year. GPA went from 4.0 to 2.8 finishing off. In a much better mental and physical state now, I'm thinking I have two options; join the Canadian Military (did interview and passed aptitude test, cleared to go into any position I want), or look for a job in the Oil Fields or somewhere in the Arctic.
Anyone know where they are hiring for entry level engineers?

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Cattle Rustler - 02-20-2018

Quote: (01-18-2018 03:58 AM)Lateapex Wrote:  

Yeah I thought about going to liberty, got a couple buddies wanting me to go over there, but fuck Frac. Universals equipment actually looks worse than FTSI’s to me lol yeah stingray is based out of the Northeast. US well Services is also out of the northeast but they just opened a yard last year in Bryan, near college station and I believe they’re still looking for people. They’re running a 2/1 schedule as well I believe. Wages have gone up 20-25% for me. Gonna be tough getting good pay until you get your class a with x endorsement pretty much.

Lol, what do you do then? I thought you were a Frac EO or in CT. Last hitch was a breeze, training other people for the first part but we screened out and had Coil Tubing on location for 6 days. Best fucking days ever, getting paid to play GTA on my laptop, eat, sleep, watch movies. I was so bored on location that I actually wanted to work.

The good thing is that the Perf yards are still using Perf pumps instead of the Universal stuff for now. Got promoted, no more swinging hammers for me. It's odd since I was planning on going to USWS or Liberty to be closer to home. In the meantime I plan on getting experience so I can move to Houston and get one of those cubicle wagecuck jobs, if my crypto holdings fail to moon. Or at least go back to Texas. As much as I hate having to move to OKC, it could be worse (West Texas).

I heard CT makes bank, is that true? Wireline and CT sound appealing, less physical work and better pay than Frac. It seems everyone and their mom is hiring anyone with a pulse.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 02-20-2018

Repeat after me: take a trade, take a trade, take a trade! Forget the last twenty pages, read the first ten then look for work as a helper welder, pipefitter, boiker maker, insulator, crane operator, etc.

Since day one of this thread I’ve been saying take a fucking trade and for good reason: oil exploration and drilling are sink or swim. All the rigs in Canada are moving south to greener pastures in the US: https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.c...texas/amp/

I’ve had five job offers in the past two weeks for work in Edmonton, Fort McMurray, Regina and BC at various oil refineries and upgraders. Yes the price of oil isn’t what it was but that doesn’t matter, we’re sending more oil south now than ever and the refineries need maintaining. Actually its busier now because the oil majors postponed major maintenance projects while the cost of labour so was high, now that it’s lower, there’s more work but its not in new construction, its all shut downs. The original guys who took a fucking trade back in 2012/2013 are all ticketed up like me now (some even more, fuckers lol) and are very busy. One guy made 130K last year and didn’t even start working until April, although I think he may have gone insane haha, just kidding but he’s in a work camp now raking it in, good think his union benefits include psychological counseling.

2018 is going to be busy as hell for tradesmen while the drillers and frackers are sitting on their asses and fighting over scraps.

Take a trade, take a trade, take a trade.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Cattle Rustler - 02-20-2018

Quote: (02-20-2018 05:56 PM)scotian Wrote:  

2018 is going to be busy as hell for tradesmen while the drillers and frackers are sitting on their asses and fighting over scraps.

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

[Image: giphy.gif]

Yeah, that's kinda the state of things right now but even then, fuck the trades. [Image: banana.gif]

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Aviel - 02-23-2018

Would you suggest moving to Calgary or Edmonton to start applying? I’m looking at labourer positions until I can save some money and take up a trade.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 02-23-2018

Edmonton is busier for sure.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Aviel - 02-24-2018

Thanks! I’ll try to head out there by the end of March.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 02-24-2018

I’ll be there hit me up by PM and we can meet up.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Aviel - 02-25-2018

Thanks, I greatly appreciate it.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - hedonist - 02-25-2018

Quote: (02-20-2018 05:56 PM)scotian Wrote:  

Good advice but I wish there were aptitude tests for certain trades, not a case of who you know...had some brutal experiences with that lately...

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Kdog - 02-25-2018

Hoping 2018 will be busy as hell for you guys... Read through some of the old days on this thread the other day for a few hours and I hope to see some similar success posts this year.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - AcftW - 04-06-2018

I’ve been working as an aircraft mechanic for defense contractors overseas the last couple years, but am looking into some positions working on heavy equipment up on the North Slope in Alaska. I’ve got welding, machining, NDT, diesel/generator maintenance experience under my belt as well, just not all in the 5+ years experience listed as required. I’m guessing the environments are fairly similar to the Canadian sites? I passed through Prudhoe Bay last year, and it looks pretty similar to a deployed site/camp (just colder haha), so I don’t think the living standards will be any issue.

I already live in the interior of Alaska, so the flights to and from wouldn’t be very long. Also, I like the 14 on 14 off schedule I’m seeing in these jobs. My current schedule is X months on X months off in the Middle East, and being able to be back home every 2 weeks would be great. Pay is pretty similar, so that’s not a big motive. That schedule is what I’m chasing.

Anyone have experience/recommendations with the Alaskan side of things?

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Aviel - 04-19-2018

Sadly things didn’t go as planned the past few months. Anyways, I’m ready to make the move to Calgary or Edmonton this week.

Just need a few tips, would it be possible to land a job without a driver’s license in the oilfields? Since I’m not very familiar with the areas, which areas are the best to look for rent (low cost and close to public transit)?

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Kdog - 04-23-2018

Quote: (04-19-2018 05:47 PM)Aviel Wrote:  

Sadly things didn’t go as planned the past few months. Anyways, I’m ready to make the move to Calgary or Edmonton this week.

Just need a few tips, would it be possible to land a job without a driver’s license in the oilfields? Since I’m not very familiar with the areas, which areas are the best to look for rent (low cost and close to public transit)?

You can definitely find one without a license, thought it will be a bigger challenge. Usually one of the absolute minimums is having a valid class 5 license. I would try to get one.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Kdog - 04-23-2018

''Oil surges toward $70 and stirs dreams of $100''

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/oil-oils...-1.4626790

Thing are finally looking up boys!

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Aviel - 04-23-2018

Thanks sounds amazing!

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - LaFleur - 04-29-2018

I am pretty sure I have posted this a few times, but if you are legal to work in the US and want to make $$$ the Permian Basin is where it is at, specifically the Delaware Basin in the Hobbs NM, Carlsbad NM, and Pecos, TX triangle. This is the hottest play in the world right now and will be for the next 5 years. Every company that is worth a shit in the industry is moving their money and people there.

Not trying to take away from this awesome thread, just figured there may be some people who can't work in Canada but want to get in on the gravy train while shit is booming. Delaware Basin should be priority #1.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Brian Shima - 04-30-2018

Thank you scotian. Good memories.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Kdog - 05-05-2018

Anybody doing offshore month on month off rotations? Talked to a guy in Thailand who lives here on his off days, and I remembered a forum guy having the same setup here a few years ago. Pretty ideal.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 05-05-2018

Offshore Canada kinda sucks because the choppers are often delayed because of fog so you’ll have to wait a day or two (sometimes three ir four) or take a ship back to land, which my friend did last week and it was an 18 hour journey. Those delays can completely fuck your travel plans.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Kdog - 05-05-2018

Quote: (05-05-2018 05:42 PM)scotian Wrote:  

Offshore Canada kinda sucks because the choppers are often delayed because of fog so you’ll have to wait a day or two (sometimes three ir four) or take a ship back to land, which my friend did last week and it was an 18 hour journey. Those delays can completely fuck your travel plans.

That sucks! Most of the guys I have spoken to work in Europe Indonesia area. For the 18 hour journey hopefully that is paid and doesn't count to days off.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - flanders - 05-06-2018

Quote: (02-20-2018 02:45 PM)frogger Wrote:  

Anyone know where they are hiring for entry level engineers?

Pretty much everywhere man.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Cattle Rustler - 05-08-2018

Everyone is hiring anyone with pulse. I’m out by the US/Mexico border right now. Wondering whether I should stay in frac and move up as a crew engineer, or transfer to become a MWD/Directional Driller at a different division where I’m at. I have all 3 positions available to me, just need to interview and it’s a done deal.

So stay in frac or go MWD/DD?

I know frac and it’s a piece of cake but hate not being local. Oklahoma is a shitty place to live in. The DD/MWD positions are based in Houston/Dallas, even though I’ll be outnumbered most of the time. Primarily I want to make more money (I’m around 100k right now) and spend more time in Houston.

They need hands so bad that the requirements for MWD/DD are just having one year of outside work exp.