Roosh V Forum
Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! (/thread-9826.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Laurifer - 07-25-2017

Servicing steam injection wells, basically bringing them into production stage. Still learning more about it.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 07-25-2017

Quote: (07-25-2017 10:32 AM)Laurifer Wrote:  

Was wondering what all you lesbians have been up to.

For myself, I just started a job this month and will be working rotations contracting at an oil sands site near Ft. Mac. I've heard talk that my company's booked here for around 5 months. Sitting here in camp right now on standby.

Seems to be lots of hiring going on here in Alberta.

HAHA, Laurifier when the fuck are we going to meet up, you are one of the RVF Oil Sands OGs and we still haven't met yet, have we?

Boys, I'm still here in Alberta, along with a few of the other RVF Oil Sands Crew. I'm currently working a really great gig in Edmonton where I'm home every night so that's nice for a change. Things are pretty good overall in the oil patch, everyone I know who is ticketed up has been working, so if this is as bad as it gets then I'm confident we'll all have work in Alberta for years to come.

That being said, its still a lot slower than in the glory days pre-2015 for obvious reasons: oil is still in the shitter! However, most oil companies have restructured, trimmed a lot of fat and the unions and other labour organizations have taken pay cuts. So the oil majors are still making money but there's no new projects on the go now although I hear that Suncor is applying for a new mine to be built in a few years. For us involved in the maintenance gigs, things are decent but its highly seasonal as its always been. We'll see if things pick up for the pipeliners in the winter.

Personally, I'm seriously considering giving something else a try and may be going back to school in the next year or so but of course I will always keep my trade certs, its a great plan B to be able to come back to Alberta in the spring or fall and make some quick cash.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - MistaaJack - 07-25-2017

Yup, thats the beauty of this industry. You can always come back for a shutdown in spring and fall when things don't go your way in life. Its a love hate relationship in OG.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Jnx - 07-25-2017

ddd

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Laurifer - 07-26-2017

Quote: (07-25-2017 06:29 PM)scotian Wrote:  

HAHA, Laurifier when the fuck are we going to meet up, you are one of the RVF Oil Sands OGs and we still haven't met yet, have we?

Lol nope I haven't made it to a meet up yet! I need to quit bouncing between here and the states all the time haha. Only been back in AB since May but I'll be stacking cash in this gig for a while I think, so I should be a local kid for the indefinite future.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Australia Sucks - 07-27-2017

Scotian, I know its a bit off topic, but you seem like a really intelligent an hardworking guy and you have been making great bank in the oil industry for years. I am surprised you are not retired yet. Is it because your lifestyle spending is really baller and so you would need many millions to retire?

I am not judging you, I am just curious that is all. My uninformed view was that if you do these sorts of jobs in the oil industry, within 10 years you could make enough cash to retire modestly in a cheap country, or am I missing something here?

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - sonoran_ - 07-27-2017

Are there any entry level type jobs for people with no experience in there types of industries?

Im thinking that since there are a lot of skilled people without jobs currently, that even entry jobs would require some experience?

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - MistaaJack - 07-27-2017

Quote: (07-27-2017 12:18 PM)sonoran_ Wrote:  

Are there any entry level type jobs for people with no experience in there types of industries?

Im thinking that since there are a lot of skilled people without jobs currently, that even entry jobs would require some experience?

Theres different labourer jobs you can take a look at. My friend just got a job doing water transfer. Takes a few days to set up then you sit on your ass all day.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 07-27-2017

Quote: (07-27-2017 10:20 AM)Australia Sucks Wrote:  

Scotian, I know its a bit off topic, but you seem like a really intelligent an hardworking guy and you have been making great bank in the oil industry for years. I am surprised you are not retired yet. Is it because your lifestyle spending is really baller and so you would need many millions to retire?

I am not judging you, I am just curious that is all. My uninformed view was that if you do these sorts of jobs in the oil industry, within 10 years you could make enough cash to retire modestly in a cheap country, or am I missing something here?

I never made a huge amount of money, 2010 was my best year and I grossed $150,000, last year I made $105,000 and that's about average. I have savings, investments and a property in Canada but I'm nowhere near retired. I suppose if I worked like a donkey and pinched every penny I made then ya I could be taking it easy somewhere now but I'd rather live a fun, interesting life and enjoy my money while I'm young.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - qwertyuiop - 07-27-2017

Quote: (07-27-2017 10:20 AM)Australia Sucks Wrote:  

Doubtful

Most of the cash probably goes to pickups, big houses, women, and other redneck things.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - tomtud - 07-28-2017

For those who are ignorant....go away.....speaking to you qwertyuiop. Did your parents teach you to put people down or be so ignorant. You know, it's his money and he can do what he chooses.

North Americans generally talk about salary using gross earnings (pre tax). So at $100k you are paying a decent chunk to Ottawa. Living in the oil sands ALA Fort mac Murray isn't cheap either. You need to invest in courses before you go too. Very far from a baller lifestyle.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Tresdus - 07-28-2017

Quote: (07-28-2017 04:50 AM)tomtud Wrote:  

For those who are ignorant....go away.....speaking to you qwertyuiop. Did your parents teach you to put people down or be so ignorant. You know, it's his money and he can do what he chooses.

North Americans generally talk about salary using gross earnings (pre tax). So at $100k you are paying a decent chunk to Ottawa. Living in the oil sands ALA Fort mac Murray isn't cheap either. You need to invest in courses before you go too. Very far from a baller lifestyle.

Have you ever worked in the oilsands? About 80% live a baller lifestyle lol.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - christpuncher - 07-28-2017

Yes you are missing something AS, the fact that it's entirely irresponsible and and a terrible idea to retire in your 30s with a few hundred thousand. That it's a manosphere internet fantasy that doing so leads to a long life of happiness and pussy...
Reality check is that 9/10 guys who try it are going to end up at age 45 being broke and desolate with no career or family.

Scotian man, all you got is a condo and pension and savings and 6 months vacation?? Get your shit together bra... Should have $2M at least by now and be banging Nordic cow yodellers only. Also why are you so short?

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - tomtud - 07-28-2017

Tresdus, no I haven't worked up there. Yes many live "baller" lifestyles. However I was responding to what qwertyuiop was saying. Best is for those who have lived there share if they want to what they save or spend. Up to them. Today I don't know what the employment situation is up there. I imagine it has ebbs and flows as the price of oil goes so does the job market.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - sonoran_ - 07-28-2017

Im pretty sure Qwerty was speaking in general terms that most young people who work in the oilsands spend their money more than save it. Doubt he was pointing fingers at Scotian.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Cattle Rustler - 07-28-2017

Damn, a lot of keyboard commandos on here.

Since the US oil thread is dead I'll just comment on this one. Left an EO assistant gig in Shitdessa/Fuckland (Odessa/Midland), for an EO gig near Oklahoma City, got a GOOD pay bump too. Some damn good benefits (great insurance, high matching 401K, PTO, housing) as well. I'm happy.

The bad:
Oklahoma seems like a depressing and sad place. The roads are crappy, and 90% of the radio stations play country. Who knew there were so many country sub-genres? LOL, some cities will have "Home of Garth Brooks" or "Home of Toby Keith" on the side of the highways, it's that sad. The speed limits change out of the blue (70 then 60 then 50, 70.....55!). There are some $1500 1/1 luxury places, but I'll never pay that much for BFE 'murica....those are Central Houston prices.

The good things:
This place is cheap as fuck. 500-700 USD for a one bedroom apartment? Unfucking heard of nowadays! Gas is cheap too. University of Oklahoma is 30 mins away so I might chose to live near campus, prime all american girls here. IRT would have a heart attack, plenty of activities too. The city has parks, museums, some bars, stores. Also, there's Taco Bueno here.

I plan on being out of town on days off, but it feels good to be in a place where you can find things to do. For example, Midland only had 1 Barnes and Noble store; all dessert and no parks. Fly to Houston? 300-400. It was just an industrial town in BFE.

OKC is BFE too but at least has something to it since it's the state capital. 2 big universities. 3 Barnes and Nobles, some malls. Fly to Houston? 150-200.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 07-28-2017

Quote: (07-28-2017 08:10 AM)Tresdus Wrote:  

Quote: (07-28-2017 04:50 AM)tomtud Wrote:  

Have you ever worked in the oilsands? About 80% live a baller lifestyle lol.

Its not that high, yes the stereotypical big spenders are out there ripping down Whyte Ave on a lifted truck but the vast majority of people employed in oil and gas, especially downstream, are middle class Canadians. The crazy rig hands are a minority. Think of all the oil sands guys you met in Edmonton, how many of them were like that then or now? None that I can think of, most of the RVF Oil Sands guys that I hang out with settled down and bought houses in Edmonton and two are gonna be fathers soon. Myself, I drive a 2009 Japanese four-cylinder car that I bought for cash a few years ago, I bought a modest condo for $270K a few years ago and currently live with a roommate (an RVF guy). Hardly a baller lifestyle, even when I travel my budget is pretty tame.

Quote: (07-28-2017 12:45 PM)christpuncher Wrote:  

Yes you are missing something AS, the fact that it's entirely irresponsible and and a terrible idea to retire in your 30s with a few hundred thousand. That it's a manosphere internet fantasy that doing so leads to a long life of happiness and pussy...
Reality check is that 9/10 guys who try it are going to end up at age 45 being broke and desolate with no career or family.

Scotian man, all you got is a condo and pension and savings and 6 months vacation?? Get your shit together bra... Should have $2M at least by now and be banging Nordic cow yodellers only. Also why are you so short?

HAHAHA, I died. You make good points man, not everyone wants to live that lifestyle, I'd probably go crazy. I'm taking the traditional route by working, saving, paying off real estate and contributing to my pension, etc.

I got no skills
I have messed up
Getting pretty close to working at Pizza Hut
My philosophy degree, is basically TP
Should have framed some Charmin, put it on the wall

Gonna end up working in Fort McMurray
Negative 45 below in Alberta is my destiny
Gonna make a ton of dough
Gonna put it up my nose
I really hope I pass this piss test

Gonna make a million bucks
Gonna buy a big truck
When I get home I'm going to tailgate you

Negative 45 below in Alberta is my destiny
Everyone from Newfoundland, everyone from Cape Breton
Oh is there anyone left at home?

Too bad there is no jobs, back in my home town
Cuz I don't really wanna go

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Bone Hammer - 07-30-2017

I'm going to be in Edmonton later this week for a few days, could use a good drinking buddy or 2. I haven't contributed much yet but long time lurker, PM me if you guys wanna get into some trouble.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - renotime - 08-01-2017

Cattle Rustler, what's an EO?

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Nima - 08-02-2017

Nice to see this thread is still active. It's been 1.5 years since I moved back to Vancouver. I went back to university and finished my undergrad.

Next spring/summer I'm thinking of selling my condo here and moving back to Edmonton for law school (I'm writing the LSAT in September, but thanks to my undergrad GPA I think I'm a shoe in). Law school would start in the Fall of 2018, which means I have almost a year of nothing to do. Contemplating moving back to Fort Mac. and asking for my old job back. Even though I can make very decent money by getting my old job back, I'm thinking of being lazy and just finding a bull shit job like safety watch for 20 bucks an hour to ride out the winter. Not in the mood to be a fab monkey in -30 weather (Scotian knows wtf I'm talking about lol).

Thank Buddha for the Chinese invasion of Vancouver btw. I made 4 times more money on my Van. condo, in 1.5 years, then I saved up in the oil patch in 3 years!! But in the end it was all down to the oil patch and Scotian's thread/help way back when. There is no way I could have saved up the cash I needed with a regular job in such a short time.

Nobody asked, but I'll leave my 0.02 cents regarding the discussion you guys were having earlier. For the most part, as Scotian said, most guys that work in the industry stay under the radar and live super normal lives. But there is an element of truth to the claim that a ton of guys have no idea what's what when it comes to money. The patch attracts a lot of people who are frankly allergic to reading. On top of that the work is mentally stressful (either because it's hard work or because your environment is so shit), so people tend to spend the money they make to reward themselves. They also have this impression that the money they're making is sooooooooo much more than what everybody else around them is making. While oil sands wages are higher, a guy making less but putting the money to work will always end up winning in the medium to long-term. People generally don't realize the power of compound interest and leverage (when it comes to real estate), and the patch guys are even worse in this regard. A 40000 dollar investment in a Vancouver condo has returned over 100% in ROI every 6-8 months in the past few years (yes, it's been a crazy few years, but even in normal years the investment would have made sense). Alternatively, 40000 dollars divided between a few ETF's returning 7% a year could start a snowball effect in 10-15 years. If you've never taken advantage of your TFSA, you should have over 50k in available room. They can put this money in the TFSA and buy a bunch of ETF's and forget about the account. Everything will grow tax free.

I'm not saying pinching pennies is right. People all live their lives very differently and we all have our own understanding of what's "fun" and meaningful. But I definitely think the stereotype of patch guys is somewhat warranted.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - christpuncher - 08-02-2017

^ Yup, and it's a good reminder to talk about it. Nobody is totally immune to the spending creep and peer pressure and bad habit acquiring, even us "readers". Know where to draw the line and keep sight of a larger goal.
Getting the upgraded truck and going on nice vacations is probably OK and not going to break anyone. Getting the highest end truck and spending 30k on upgrades, plus a quad and boat and season tickets and lavish trips and jewellery for your girl and quartz counters and power tools...it can be easy for a guy to go from one to the other without vigilance.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Kdog - 08-06-2017

Do we have a 2018 oil patch rvf crew (pre oil crash) reunion?

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - musashi - 08-08-2017

Anyone flown up to the Brion Fort Macky site from Calgary? I have some questions I can pm someone with experience flying there.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - joecolombia - 08-14-2017

I´ve been browsing this thread for a while now and see going there for a while as a kicktart for other projects and biz.Since I´m just about to graduate from university, are there well paid internships in the oil sands? Are they freaking hard to score?

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 08-14-2017

Musashi, I've never flown to that particular site but have flown to others in Fort McKay, what did you want to know? JoeColombia, yes there are still internships available and they are very hard to get these days, most would go to graduates of local universities in Alberta.