Roosh V Forum
Lifter's Lounge - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+---- Forum: Fitness (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-6.html)
+---- Thread: Lifter's Lounge (/thread-38933.html)

Lifter's Lounge - weambulance - 08-12-2017

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Quote: (08-10-2017 06:12 PM)king bast Wrote:  

Seems like you're in a similar situation to me, as I work out from home and my left knee has been fucked for nearly two years too.

Kettlebells have been a godsend for keeping my hips from getting completely weak while I've been unable to do legs, but I also made a pair of farmers walks handles on the cheap, that you might want to try too. They were super easy to make, I even posted step by step instructions:

thread-44402...pid1364598

This is a cool idea. I'll make some out of 1.5" Sch 40 pipe with 1" pipe handles, probably, and using basically the same method of construction. Then weld them up once I can borrow my uncle's stick welder. Total cost: $80 or so including clips, and they'll be able to handle more weight than I'm likely to be able to carry. Good deal.

Quote:Hannibal Wrote:

Whats the weight limit on the bar?

It's rated for 300 pounds, only weighs 30-35 pounds, and because of that I assume it's not solid. Total shit, IOW.

After doing a bunch of planning and thinking things over I decided to just buy a factory second Rogue bar, cheap-ass weights from Amazon--they sell CAP 45 pounders for $33 delivered for prime members, and I can live with the weights being less-than-accurate--and throw together a couple squat stands for about $30 in materials I don't already have. I also have about 105 pounds of 1" weights to go with my kettlebells, so if I just hang stuff off the barbell sleeves I'll be able to pretty safely get over 500 pounds on the bar if I want to without buying anything else.

I'll also be able to put together a bunch of gear for conditioning with materials I already own: pullup bar, dip bars, found a tire on the side of the road for tire drags, etc. The only thing I care about that I won't be able to do immediately is bench.

This is looking pretty good. To get all the stuff I want I'll need to spend like $1500-2000 (or significantly more, if I get overly excited about strongman training) but I can get 80% of the way there for < $500 and the junk I already have.

Lifter's Lounge - RexImperator - 08-12-2017

Quote:Quote:

I'm going to start building my own basic home gym

I just purchased a Titan X-3 power rack. Pretty decent for under $500. It's a Rogue clone.

The CAP OB-86B is a decent bar and not too expensive.

Lifter's Lounge - scotian - 08-12-2017

I just violently puked after a gym session and am wondering if anyone on here has experienced something similar, its never happened to me. Here's what happened leading up to it:

-7:30am woke up, drank water and ate a bowl of granola cereal with almond milk
-8-9am drank two cups of black coffee
9:15-10:30 went to the gym, had a great workout doing my usual high rep exercises (did chest, shoulders, triceps). Drank a BCAA drink throughout the gym session.

Immediately after as I was walking home (two minute walk) I was thinking about how great the workout was, I was feeling pumped. Arrived home, had a glass of water and ate a banana. Within two minutes I felt funny, went to the patio to get fresh air then I felt a dry heave coming so I went to my bathroom and puked my guts up into the toilet. I'm not sure if it was because I went to hard in the gym or maybe it was a bad banana haha, I just hope it doesn't happen again because it freaked me out!

Lifter's Lounge - Lordless - 08-12-2017

Quote: (08-12-2017 11:48 AM)scotian Wrote:  

I just violently puked after a gym session and am wondering if anyone on here has experienced something similar, its never happened to me. Here's what happened leading up to it:

9:15-10:30 went to the gym, had a great workout doing my usual high rep exercises (did chest, shoulders, triceps). Drank a BCAA drink throughout the gym session.

Immediately after as I was walking home (two minute walk) I was thinking about how great the workout was, I was feeling pumped. Arrived home, had a glass of water and ate a banana. Within two minutes I felt funny, went to the patio to get fresh air then I felt a dry heave coming so I went to my bathroom and puked my guts up into the toilet. I'm not sure if it was because I went to hard in the gym or maybe it was a bad banana haha, I just hope it doesn't happen again because it freaked me out!

Came to this thread to ask the same thing. I've puked on my last three Leg Days and it's making me anxious when that day of the week draws near. I tend to go two hours, so maybe my body just isn't tuned enough for that kind of stress on my leg muscles or some shit.

Lifter's Lounge - KC4 - 08-14-2017

Putting in numbers for logging so I can remember what I have been lifting.

Bench 1 rep max: 205 pounds
Squat 1 rep max: 330 pounds
Deadlift 1 rep max: 375 pounds give or take
Rows 5x5 :175-pounds
OHP 1 rep max : 145 pounds
Pull ups 3x10.

Height : 5"7
Weight : 175 pounds.
Fat: (+-) 20 %

Diet: Could be better. Get around 110 g of protein a day. Diet is very rice heavy. Lots of chicken and rice.

Goal is to beat these numbers and try to lose the fat.

Lifter's Lounge - miggyme1 - 08-14-2017

Quote: (08-12-2017 11:57 AM)Lordless Wrote:  

Came to this thread to ask the same thing. I've puked on my last three Leg Days and it's making me anxious when that day of the week draws near. I tend to go two hours, so maybe my body just isn't tuned enough for that kind of stress on my leg muscles or some shit.

no workout should lead to u puking...you are doing something very wrong. not saying u wont see results..but the purpose of working out is to get healthy not puking all over the gym.

Lifter's Lounge - king bast - 08-14-2017

I used to puke, or nearly puke, pretty regularly. It was always a result of not having eaten enough suitable food beforehand, or in the right timeframe.

What I found was that either no food at all, or a big or heavy meal less than 2 hours before would result in puking. A piece of fruit 1 hour before was handy too.

If you do feel it coming on, just lie down with your legs elevated and it should pass pretty quickly.

Lifter's Lounge - CaptainChardonnay - 08-14-2017

Might be the coffee. When I was taking ECA I'd feel the same way during my workout sometimes. 2 cups is around 100mg of caffeine I would imagine.

Lifter's Lounge - younggun - 08-14-2017

Quote: (08-14-2017 05:35 PM)CaptainChardonnay Wrote:  

Might be the coffee. When I was taking ECA I'd feel the same way during my workout sometimes. 2 cups is around 100mg of caffeine I would imagine.

I've never puked at the gym but taking an extra scoop of pre-workout can get me feeling pretty nauseous and lead to some pretty explosive shits. I try to space my caffeine intake out, I'll drink a cup or two of coffee in the mornings and take pre-workout before hitting the gym in the late afternoon or evening

Lifter's Lounge - dknightbro - 08-14-2017

Puking from the gym is a silly fad that's marketed in the fitness industry as a badge of honor

Yes, I admit I've done it in my early years & felt proud afterwards

But there have been professional bodybuilders in the Mr. Olympia leagues who say they NEVER puke anymore because it's stupid and disrupts your gains, which it is

If you are puking from the gym, you are doing it very wrong...just stop it

Lifter's Lounge - scotian - 08-15-2017

Thanks for the info guys, like I said it was the first time its happened to me and I've been going to the gym off and on for twenty years, I'm going to cut down on the coffee pre-workout hopefully that helps.

Lifter's Lounge - Kieran - 08-16-2017

Anyone had success with myo-reps? I've been messing with it on my triceps work which comes at the end of my push session. The idea is that you do an all out set of about 10 reps, rest 15 sec and hit another 3 reps, rest another 15 and hit another 3, and so on for 5 additional sets after the 1st set.(so the set is 10,3,3,3,3,3). It's a kind of rest pause thing the idea being that you are hitting more reps in a fatigued state leading to greater fiber recruitment, and is a quick way to get some good work in for smaller muscles. After some initial progress I seem to have stagnated on it. I'm not sure if it's because my heavy incline work earlier in the workout which is progressing is stopping improvement showing (I tend to go with the philosophy that assistance is working if the main lift is moving up, even where the assistance might regress), or whether I really have stagnated. Just wondering how people have found it?

Lifter's Lounge - Steelex - 08-16-2017

Never tried that.

When I do a rest pause set it will typically be like fail at 15 reps, fail at 8, then fail at 3. Also, if im doing RP I alternate exercises between workouts, so for chest you'll do Smith press one day, dips on the next chest workout. This is just an example.

Are you hitting mental or physical failure?? The point of rest pause is to royally fuck your muscles up as quick as possible.

Lifter's Lounge - Mjölnir - 08-17-2017

Quote: (08-16-2017 03:23 PM)Steelex Wrote:  

Never tried that.

When I do a rest pause set it will typically be like fail at 15 reps, fail at 8, then fail at 3. Also, if im doing RP I alternate exercises between workouts, so for chest you'll do Smith press one day, dips on the next chest workout. This is just an example.

Are you hitting mental or physical failure?? The point of rest pause is to royally fuck your muscles up as quick as possible.

That sounds like DC training, i've been experimenting with a variation of it, how are your results with it ?

Also, do you have a training partner ?

Lifter's Lounge - Investment Bro - 08-17-2017

Quote: (08-16-2017 03:23 PM)Steelex Wrote:  

Never tried that.

Not sure about everyone else, but rest pause training royally fries my brain. Especially if I'm using it at the end of a workout after the heavy stuff is done.

Lifter's Lounge - Steelex - 08-17-2017

To me, rest pause work IS the heavy work. So if its chest day it might be like Smith machine incline press 270lbs, 13 reps, 7 reps, 3 reps. That one set would be the entire upper chest workout.

I don't always rest pause, but when I do it's a single set to failure. And yes it will fry your ass. If i do a rest pause workout for back it will typically be an rp set of rack chins, 2 straight sets of deads or rack pulls, and a rp set of cable rows. The next day I'll feel like I have the flu it's that harsh (if you do it right).

Lifter's Lounge - ExploringReality - 08-18-2017

Currently following Greyskull, everything is coming up very nicely. 31x8 ohp, 41x14 bench, 73.5x5 squat, 80x7 deadlift. Not impressive, but still, Ive been on a long cut (30kgs lost) and I had no muscle mass. Very happy about the changes I'm seeing. I guess I could progress faster on the bench and the deadlift, but I'm following the program to the letter and the added weight rate is slow.
Any of you have done Greyskull?

Lifter's Lounge - Sidney Crosby - 08-22-2017

How many of you guys frequently use a hex bar/trap bar instead of a regular barbell for deadlifts? I did some reading and apparently there is quite a bit lower risk to hurting your lower back.

Lifter's Lounge - Ivanis - 08-22-2017

Quote: (08-22-2017 06:59 PM)Sidney Crosby Wrote:  

How many of you guys frequently use a hex bar/trap bar instead of a regular barbell for deadlifts? I did some reading and apparently there is quite a bit lower risk to hurting your lower back.

Normally I use them solely for shrugs. Theres something about a straight bar that just amps me the fuck up. I would have to imagine that they would help you get better numbers though. I shrug more then I deadlift and you technically need to deadift first to shrug. I think it all boils down to personal opinion. I may try to deadlift with them now though. If I do I'll post results on here. Tomorrow is back day after all!

Lifter's Lounge - Sidney Crosby - 08-22-2017

^ Here's the page I was reading.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/trap-bar-deadlift

Lifter's Lounge - Kieran - 08-23-2017

Quads are more involved than regular deads, and I find the extra stability required gives my upper back some really good work. It's a good movement

Lifter's Lounge - General Stalin - 08-23-2017

Quote: (08-22-2017 06:59 PM)Sidney Crosby Wrote:  

It definitely presents less risk for injury but you are more mechanically advantageous when lifting a trap bar and because of the position of the weight you are lifting more with your legs than your back. Not as great at building back strength. Also, if you compete, a barbell is what you have to lift when on the platform, not a trap bar.

Lifter's Lounge - Ivanis - 08-23-2017

I liked doing the T-bar deadlifts. I have lower back issues and I found that I could lift more weight for more reps doing it with the t-bar.

Normal deadlifts- 3x3 225lbs
VS
T-bar deadlifts- 3 sets of 4,6, and 8 respectively 255lbs

The preworkout hit pretty hard too. Theacrine is a fuckin godsend. Its pretty much caffeine that you don't build a resistance to. It is found in the preworkout that I currently use.

I think I'll probably end up hitting t-bar deadlifts for back day then work in normal deadlifts on leg day. Seems like a good way to take some pressure off my lower back.

Lifter's Lounge - alexdagr81 - 08-23-2017

Trap bar deadlifts is more like a squat or clean style deadlift. The bar is centered so there isn't a lever arm created for your lower back. I do rows with them myself or calf raises

Lifter's Lounge - komatiite - 08-23-2017

Quote: (08-23-2017 05:42 PM)alexdagr81 Wrote:  

Trap bar deadlifts is more like a squat or clean style deadlift. The bar is centered so there isn't a lever arm created for your lower back. I do rows with them myself or calf raises

Never heard of doing Rows with a trap bar. What's the reason for that?

I agree with Kieran, deadlifts with trap bars actually really hit my lats, so sometimes I mix them in if I feel dicey about the low back. Wonder if that carries over to rows.