Roosh V Forum
Lifter's Lounge - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+---- Forum: Fitness (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-6.html)
+---- Thread: Lifter's Lounge (/thread-38933.html)

Lifter's Lounge - Lagavulin - 08-01-2016

Quote: (08-01-2016 12:53 PM)Ringo Wrote:  

Quote: (08-01-2016 12:21 PM)Lagavulin Wrote:  

Due to a longstanding back injury which causes pain and tightness in my hips, glutes and down one leg I'd like to further my knowledge of the musculature in this area in order to focus my rehab exactly where I feel it needs to be.

I'm in the market for a book on anatomy and physiology. Are there any that are known as being particularly good? Anything that you guys would recommend over and above the rest?

Do you have tight hamstrings?

I've been having some discomfort on the exact same region for the last few weeks. Initialy I was very worried about having injured my lower back but I found that stretching and foam rolling the glutes and hamstrings makes it way better - apparently the pain in the lower back was a result of the tightness on the hamstring and my back overcompensating.

My pelvis is locked up on the right side and my whole left leg is tight. I used to have pain in my right glute and still do to an extent but it has also appeared in my left glute and that side is now actually worse than the right.

I'm gonna stop lifting weights in the short term and focus on rehab activities 100%. Lot's of stretching and mobility/stability training.

I need to incorporate more foam rolling into my routine as well, I just started this tonight.

Lifter's Lounge - Merris - 08-01-2016

Push presses felt godawful today, I had a spine of spaghetti for the whole session. All in all felt like shit. Should maybe sleep more. I'll crash in early today, tomorrow is going to be deadlift sets with 215 kg and I'd like to be fresher both at work, gym and the afterwork meet we have than I've been today.

On a related note, I've noticed that my grip is the first thing that starts failing when I do heavy sets of deadlifts. Not talking 1RMs since the hardest part for me there is the lockout from above the knee. It bugs the hell out of me. I don't use straps, just chalk (and the gym does not have the space for heavy farmers walks). Does anyone have any suggestions for heavier grip training (outside of more deadlifts)?

Lifter's Lounge - Sidney Crosby - 08-01-2016

I've packed on 2.5" to my arms in 6 months, although that doesn't seem like a crazy amount from what I've read that seems realistic as far as gains go. I'm going to try and double that before the year's up, this is my first year of consistent workouts in my life, I've always played sports but I never dedicated myself to going to the gym before.

Lifter's Lounge - H1N1 - 08-01-2016

Quote: (08-01-2016 03:38 PM)Sidney Crosby Wrote:  

I've packed on 2.5" to my arms in 6 months, although that doesn't seem like a crazy amount from what I've read that seems realistic as far as gains go. I'm going to try and double that before the year's up, this is my first year of consistent workouts in my life, I've always played sports but I never dedicated myself to going to the gym before.

That is crazy, at any stage of development, and is really fantastic progress.

Lifter's Lounge - H1N1 - 08-01-2016

Quote: (08-01-2016 02:40 PM)Merris Wrote:  

Push presses felt godawful today, I had a spine of spaghetti for the whole session. All in all felt like shit. Should maybe sleep more. I'll crash in early today, tomorrow is going to be deadlift sets with 215 kg and I'd like to be fresher both at work, gym and the afterwork meet we have than I've been today.

On a related note, I've noticed that my grip is the first thing that starts failing when I do heavy sets of deadlifts. Not talking 1RMs since the hardest part for me there is the lockout from above the knee. It bugs the hell out of me. I don't use straps, just chalk (and the gym does not have the space for heavy farmers walks). Does anyone have any suggestions for heavier grip training (outside of more deadlifts)?

I've been including grip work 2x/week on my lower body days, and it has made a big difference in the space of a couple of months.

I do my normal lower body work, and then do this circuit from the Reddit gripboard: http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/basics.html

This is a perfectly good grip program. I do single handed plate pinch holds, as I don't have suitable 20kg plates (mine have a pronounced rim making them easy to hold onto). I've added 1/4" to my forearms, and have turned my TM into a solid triple in 2 months (210kg from everyday max to comfortable triple @ 189 lbs). It's partly programming, I'm really getting on fantastically with GZCL (including high rep DLs), but I suspect the grip work plays a significant part.

Lifter's Lounge - thoughtgypsy - 08-01-2016

One of my weaknesses in recent years has been my grip strength. Even with alternating grips, my deadlift reps are always limited by how long I can hold the bar.

I recently tried doing a couple sets of towel grip pullups on a pull up bar, and my forearms are absolutely destroyed right now. Definitely going to work this into my routine. Much faster and effective than repping out forearms curls

Fast forward to 3:20

Lifter's Lounge - Hades - 08-01-2016

I am lifting at the gym with my lady friend on a somewhat regular basis.

Hopefully she can get her bench press, overhead press, and squats up as it will make her tits and ass bigger. Perkier too.

Lifter's Lounge - redonion - 08-01-2016

Just always do deadlifts double overhand whenever you can and only switch to hook/mixed grip as a last resort. Your grip will improve quickly.

Lifter's Lounge - Bilboswaggins - 08-02-2016

Let's be honest, at some point you should just chalk it or strap it up. Grip becomes a limiting factor at some point anyway, so why limit the load you can actually do. Especially if you're not interested in becoming a strongman/powerlifter or whatever. I personally chalk it and do my top set with a mixed grip, while doing the back-off sets with double overhand.

Lifter's Lounge - Merris - 08-02-2016

Thanks for the tips, I'll really need to add something. I tend to do warmups (working up to the workout weight), then three heavy sets followed by 5 sets of 8-10 reps with a medium weight. I do use mixed grip (alternating every set) and chalk, but no straps. For the deadlift, my two limiting factors clearly are my grip and the upper part of the lift (starting above the knees, ending at the lockout), so I'll need to add some assistance to deal with those.

Lifter's Lounge - H1N1 - 08-02-2016

You have an excuse to add rack pulls in your training. One of life's great, fun lifts.

Lifter's Lounge - realologist - 08-02-2016

All the leg lifts I've been doing lately have primarily been single leg lifts. Weighted walking lunges, Bulgarian split squats and running(Sprints and runs up to a mile). Only two legged things I've been doing is broad and box jumps. It's really improved my balance and individual leg strength.

Lifter's Lounge - RexImperator - 08-02-2016

Any of you guys try snatch grip deadlifts? I can hold a higher weight (double overhand) with hands further out on the bar than close-in conventional style.

Lifter's Lounge - Balkan - 08-02-2016

Speaking of snatches. One of my favorite lifters that may inspire some guys here..

Lifter's Lounge - Ringo - 08-02-2016

Quote: (08-02-2016 06:07 PM)Balkan Wrote:  

Speaking of snatches. One of my favorite lifters that may inspire some guys here..

I have a lot of respect for olympic lifters and hats off to this guy for not quitting, but personally I could never do this. Just looking at it I'm cringing thinking of the possibility of a hardcore injury. Sure this guy is an expert but damn, it's such a fine line between nailing the lift and getting crushed by it.

As Steve Maxwell put it, essentially olympic lifting is throwing weights up and trying to catch them.

Honest question for guys that understand the technique better - how close was that guy to getting injured?

Lifter's Lounge - thoughtgypsy - 08-03-2016

Speaking of snatches

You could go many ways with that, especially on a pickup forum

Lifter's Lounge - Merris - 08-03-2016

Quote: (08-02-2016 03:44 PM)H1N1 Wrote:  

You have an excuse to add rack pulls in your training. One of life's great, fun lifts.

Good point. Although the gym I go to might be a bit too commercial for that. I'll see about that once plain old ugly volume won't help me in the lockout. I'm currently thinking of upping the training weight into 220 kg for the heavy sets and 150kg for the medium ones, then grinding that until I can do enough reps to move on to higher weight. Will probably prove to be a challenge.

Lifter's Lounge - General Stalin - 08-03-2016

Quote: (08-02-2016 06:39 PM)Ringo Wrote:  

I have a lot of respect for olympic lifters and hats off to this guy for not quitting, but personally I could never do this. Just looking at it I'm cringing thinking of the possibility of a hardcore injury. Sure this guy is an expert but damn, it's such a fine line between nailing the lift and getting crushed by it.

As Steve Maxwell put it, essentially olympic lifting is throwing weights up and trying to catch them.

Honest question for guys that understand the technique better - how close was that guy to getting injured?

I'm certain I will never being attempting to snatch or do any kind of wide grip overhead movement ever since I saw this horror show from the '08 Olympics:

I've always thought it seems like the most unsafe lift you can do. the joints in your arms (wrists, elbows, shoulders) are so fragile compared to your lower body joints (hips, knees, ankles) and snatch puts all of them in an incredibly compromised position while also placing the weight above your head in a very quick almost haphazard fashion. Scary shit.

Lifter's Lounge - Truth Teller - 08-04-2016

Quote: (08-03-2016 03:55 PM)General Stalin Wrote:  

I'm certain I will never being attempting to snatch or do any kind of wide grip overhead movement ever since I saw this horror show from the '08 Olympics:

I've always thought it seems like the most unsafe lift you can do. the joints in your arms (wrists, elbows, shoulders) are so fragile compared to your lower body joints (hips, knees, ankles) and snatch puts all of them in an incredibly compromised position while also placing the weight above your head in a very quick almost haphazard fashion. Scary shit.

You'd think that, but the injury rate for WL is actually fairly low, especially compared to other sports. Elbow dislocations aren't particularly common, actually. Plus, they often have to do more with technique than anything else... the way that CrossFit and most Americans teach the overhead position makes it more likely that a dislocation will occur...

Lifter's Lounge - Sidney Crosby - 08-04-2016

Poor Rich Piana, a year and a bit he's married to some sloot before she pulled the plug.

Lifter's Lounge - Hell_Is_Like_Newark - 08-05-2016

Quote: (07-15-2016 01:58 PM)General Stalin Wrote:  

Face pulls and bent over side late raises with your thumbs point down are a couple good ones. Jeff Cavaliere has a decent video on a few:

Just wanted to post a thanks for the video link. I picked out three exercises from that vid and another from another made by the same guy. I am finally get some work targeted at the muscle back there and I am now seeing some results.

Lifter's Lounge - Adonis - 08-10-2016

Been going out too much and half-assing my workouts. I haven't been focused in the gym at all for several weeks until today and was struggling squatting doubles @ 255. Thing is, the less I workout the better I fuck. No lifting for a week? Ill go 2-3 times in a row. Lift hard everyday? 1 and done, lights out. Gotta shoot the middle I suppose. Thinking of cutting it down to lifting 3x/wk and doing some quick cardio 2x/wk.

135x5
185x3
225x1
255x1
275x0 failed lift
255x2x3
225x5x3
185x8x3

Lifter's Lounge - Vienna - 08-11-2016

Which shoes to use when lifting?

I lift 3 times/week and do cardio (rowing or biking) 2 times/week, so I'm not shopping for runner's shoes. Heard lifting shoes are supposed to have thin soles... Currently perusing Crossfit shoes.

Suggestions welcome.

Lifter's Lounge - RexImperator - 08-11-2016

Those Reebok Crossfit LTRs look good and I plan to buy some. I currently have Romaleos, which are great, but I don't use them for conventional Deadlifts. For deads I have an old pair of Chuck Taylor's with the soles ripped out, or just socks.

Lifter's Lounge - Adonis - 08-11-2016

Chuck T's are the best bang for the buck, they have a hard flat sole with a minimal drop. I currently squat/oly with Nike Romaleos, and if you spend a lot of time in the squat rack just save yourself the time/money and get them they are that good. Adidas AdiPower if you have narrow feet, but the fore sole is not as wide as the Romaleos. I do all other lifts/gym with Nano 4.0's which are good for deads, cardio, and shorter sprints. Might check out the Metcon when these wear out. Ive also had Reebok CrossFit Lifter Plus which is a weird hybrid lifting shoe that has a more flexible forefoot supposedly for box jumps, but that just makes the whole shoe feel loose on the foot. Inov-8 Fast Lift 335 are very light and breathable but they have a small foot area and the body of the shoe is not very tight.

Budget - Chuck T's
Best - Romaleos
Hybrid - Nano or Metcon