Roosh V Forum
The next movie up for destruction- Point Break - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Everything Else (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: The next movie up for destruction- Point Break (/thread-47804.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

The next movie up for destruction- Point Break - WanderingSoul - 05-27-2015

I love Point Break. Not a great movie, but it was awesome.

QC, Anthony and Flea both had cameos in that scene if I remember correctly. War Child hah.

For years my buddies and I have said "Utah" anytime someone gets up to get a beer. Then they have to bring everyone who says "Utah" a beer also. Inspired by "Utah! Get me two!". So when we drink if someone gets up you hear "Utah!" half a dozen times and the poor bastard who just wanted to take a piss has to play butler and bring us half a dozen cans of Keystone Light, or whatever cheap crap we are drinking.

The next movie up for destruction- Point Break - samsamsam - 05-27-2015

Quote: (05-27-2015 04:36 PM)Quintus Curtius Wrote:  

yet...there's something about this movie.

For me it was the incredible acting by Keanu.

I present as evidence. The I am an FBI agent scene. It was an enjoyable movie, never meant to win awards or anything but fun enough to watch.

The next movie up for destruction- Point Break - rpg - 05-27-2015

Quote: (05-27-2015 04:28 PM)Atlantic Wrote:  

Quote: (05-27-2015 01:42 PM)rpg Wrote:  

Wow. Point Break is being ruined to satify SJW's. When will the fad of destroying great movies ever end? Is the narrative that important these days? Swayze is rolling in his grave.

How?

It was a cheesy action/romantic movie to start with and it looks like another cheesy action/romantic movie updated for modern times.

What about this trailer is related to SJWs? Can you back this up with some sort of breakdown or analysis.

OK now that I am done some work bullshit I am happy to counter some outrage to my outrage.
Ahem. Point Break is a cornerstone movie for us Gen Xers. This movie challenged a generation to use worldly wealth to break the mold and follow our dreams, skills, talents and abilities. Not the other way around. Hence, the rob banks to follow the endless summer storyline.
For Hollywood to take a cheap scotch and seafood explosive shit all over our fondest memories is an act of war of sorts.
The opening scene of the trailer shows a couple of douchebags robbing a pallet of money to then scatter it all over poor villagers. Fuck that shit! Nobody in their right mind risks everything to rain money down on poor peasant slobs. Only a true SJW could think this is within reason.
I could go on and on. Fuck this movie and fuck the powers that be that think this is worth the name Point Break. I would bet Utah is going to have to perform gay sex to prove he is part of the criminal extreme sports gang.
This movie is going to tank.

The next movie up for destruction- Point Break - hedonist - 05-27-2015

Quote: (05-27-2015 05:29 PM)rpg Wrote:  

Wow. Point Break is being ruined to satify SJW's. When will the fad of destroying great movies ever end? Is the narrative that important these days? Swayze is rolling in his grave.

How?

It was a cheesy action/romantic movie to start with and it looks like another cheesy action/romantic movie updated for modern times.

What about this trailer is related to SJWs? Can you back this up with some sort of breakdown or analysis.

OK now that I am done some work bullshit I am happy to counter some outrage to my outrage.
Ahem. Point Break is a cornerstone movie for us Gen Xers. This movie challenged a generation to use worldly wealth to break the mold and follow our dreams, skills, talents and abilities. Not the other way around. Hence, the rob banks to follow the endless summer storyline.
For Hollywood to take a cheap scotch and seafood explosive shit all over our fondest memories is an act of war of sorts.
The opening scene of the trailer shows a couple of douchebags robbing a pallet of money to then scatter it all over poor villagers. Fuck that shit! Nobody in their right mind risks everything to rain money down on poor peasant slobs. Only a true SJW could think this is within reason.
I could go on and on. Fuck this movie and fuck the powers that be that think this is worth the name Point Break. I would bet Utah is going to have to perform gay sex to prove he is part of the criminal extreme sports gang.

yeah it was in my top three movies for sure ....the whole "freedom" vibe it had

that skydiving scene...fucking amazing!

The next movie up for destruction- Point Break - Quintus Curtius - 05-27-2015

How?

Rpg is emerging as a Bobcat Goldthwaite figure...and I mean that as a compliment. One of his other posts somewhere here had me in stitches.

Keep it coming, man.....[Image: banana.gif]

The next movie up for destruction- Point Break - The Beast1 - 05-27-2015

If it wasn't for pirate bay I wouldn't see any of these movies. Cost isn't worth it.

Speaking of funny guys where is Steve McMahon?

Edit: I spoke to soon - he is still posting http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-47807-...pid1030557

The next movie up for destruction- Point Break - robreke - 05-27-2015

How?

For me, Point Break was always a "cool" movie. Swayze - cool. Johnny Utah- cool. Busey's character (hell Busey just himself) - cool. The surfing and dead president's theme....all cool to me.

Not the best movie, or to be considered one of the greats. But if someone asked me to name the top 5 coolest movies I ever saw, Point Break would be in that list.

The next movie up for destruction- Point Break - Captainstabbin - 05-27-2015

Am I the only one who quoted this movie?
"Fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true."

And here's another quote that sums up Bodhi's motivation in the original:
"This was never about the money, this was about us against the system. That system that kills the human spirit. We stand for something. We are here to show those guys that are inching their way on the freeways in their metal coffins that the human sprit is still alive."

Something tells me the new Bodhi will be about fighting the 1% or income inequality or some other buzzword BS.

The next movie up for destruction- Point Break - AnonymousBosch - 05-27-2015

From being there at the time, as a fellow Gen X'er:

Point Break came out July 12, 1991. I watched and cynically-recognised it as Aging Boomers trying to sell Hippie Ideals to the kids as being cool by overlaying what they thought was currently popular with them through market research.

There was a lot of this thing at the turn of the 90's as aging writers and directors realised they were no longer 'edgy' or 'revolutionary', but simply the status quo.

[Image: 519eZgq5G2L._SY445_.jpg]

Throw in the rise of psychedelics in the Madchester and Rave scenes, throw in the seeming rise of hippie ideals and positivity in bands like Deee-lite and De La Soul, and it seemed like kids were going to be receptive to Hippie 2.0.

Enter aging boomers James Cameron (1954) and Katheryn Bigalow (1951). The shooting script was rejected, and heavily-written by both of them:

Cameron:

Quote:Quote:

I was executive producer of Point Break. I did a considerable amount of writing on the shooting draft of the script with [director Kathryn Bigelow], even thought we haven't received credit which is an issue that I have with the Writers Guild

So I always viewed 'Point Break' as basically this:

[Image: 200_s.gif]

My reaction being: "Oh, fuck off Grandpa."

The upside is it's a true relic of 90's 'extreme' corporate marketing: they know something is happening with the kids, but had no idea what.

Of course, a few months later, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" drops, and they've missed to boat on what the kids are actually into.

REM making fun of this sort of corporate and media cluelessness in 1994:

The Simpsons, in 1997, having the ultimate word on it, with Poochie D, the rapping dog:

[Image: latest?cb=20121207211354]

[Image: best-simpsons.jpg]

[Image: latest?cb=20130820181509]

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: latest?cb=20130820181448]

He looks familiar.

[Image: patriz-swayze-en-le-llaman-bodhi.jpg]

Dude, it's Point Break. I spent the first half of the 90's hearing sociology and film lecturers use the fact it was made by a woman as evidence that it was the Ultimate Gay Subtext Film.

A quick search later, here's the kind of thing I mean from 2008, titled "What Makes A Gay Classic?"

The ultimate gay subtext film is Point Break, in which Keanu Reeves and Patrick Swayze conduct a full-blown mutual love affair right before our eyes. After the initial coup de foudre they (a) chase each other up and down the beach during a midnight soccer game, (b) trade body-conscious stares after Patrick saves Keanu from being beaten up in the shower, © skydive entwined around each other, twice, (d) repeatedly refrain from exposing each other's secret identities and (e) wind up fighting in the sea while handcuffed to each other. Lori Petty's also around, but she doesn't do anything*. The final scene is a moving elegy to the central romance: Keanu uncuffs free-spirited bank robber Patrick and lets him kill himself by surfing in dangerous weather, rather than taking the glory of locking him up humiliatingly in prison. Thus he vindicates the romantic adage: "If you love him, let him go."

Anything is an improvement.

I wouldn't stress about this: Hollywood is simply cynically-overlaying what they now think is currently hip and edgy with the kids, and a year from now you'll see just how off the mark - as always - they were.

* Lori Petty today:

[Image: Lori+Petty+Lori+Petty+Shops+Glasses+z4qPkW_uw5Zl.jpg]

The next movie up for destruction- Point Break - Cobra - 05-27-2015

If SJWs are destroying the world it's not through Mad Max or Point Break guys. [Image: dodgy.gif]

The next movie up for destruction- Point Break - pointbreak - 05-27-2015

The premise of the remake is absurd. Damn I'm going to have to change my username now.

The next movie up for destruction- Point Break - Nalka - 05-27-2015

Quote: (05-27-2015 08:16 PM)Cobra Wrote:  

If SJWs are destroying the world it's not through Mad Max or Point Break guys. [Image: dodgy.gif]

Yes it is. That and a million other things. Any one of their antics on it's own is no big deal. Add them all together with advancing technology, government inertia and the lack of evolutionary pressue you get a shit sándwich.

You can't blame any one cupcake for the fatass, but they all caused it.

The next movie up for destruction- Point Break - Fast Eddie - 05-27-2015

Quote: (05-27-2015 07:35 PM)AnonymousBosch Wrote:  

Point Break came out July 12, 1991. I watched and cynically-recognised it as Aging Boomers trying to sell Hippie Ideals to the kids as being cool by overlaying what they thought was currently popular with them through market research.

There was a lot of this thing at the turn of the 90's as aging writers and directors realised they were no longer 'edgy' or 'revolutionary', but simply the status quo.

Throw in the rise of psychedelics in the Madchester and Rave scenes, throw in the seeming rise of hippie ideals and positivity in bands like Deee-lite and De La Soul, and it seemed like kids were going to be receptive to Hippie 2.0.

Enter aging boomers James Cameron (1954) and Katheryn Bigalow (1951). The shooting script was rejected, and heavily-written by both of them:

Cameron:

I was executive producer of Point Break. I did a considerable amount of writing on the shooting draft of the script with [director Kathryn Bigelow], even thought we haven't received credit which is an issue that I have with the Writers Guild

The upside is it's a true relic of 90's 'extreme' corporate marketing: they know something is happening with the kids, but had no idea what.

Of course, a few months later, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" drops, and they've missed to boat on what the kids are actually into.

The Simpsons, in 1997, having the ultimate word on it, with Poochie D,

He looks familiar.

Dude, it's Point Break. I spent the first half of the 90's hearing sociology and film lecturers use the fact it was made by a woman as evidence that it was the Ultimate Gay Subtext Film.

A quick search later, here's the kind of thing I mean from 2008, titled "What Makes A Gay Classic?"

The ultimate gay subtext film is Point Break, in which Keanu Reeves and Patrick Swayze conduct a full-blown mutual love affair right before our eyes. After the initial coup de foudre they (a) chase each other up and down the beach during a midnight soccer game, (b) trade body-conscious stares after Patrick saves Keanu from being beaten up in the shower, © skydive entwined around each other, twice, (d) repeatedly refrain from exposing each other's secret identities and (e) wind up fighting in the sea while handcuffed to each other. Lori Petty's also around, but she doesn't do anything*. The final scene is a moving elegy to the central romance: Keanu uncuffs free-spirited bank robber Patrick and lets him kill himself by surfing in dangerous weather, rather than taking the glory of locking him up humiliatingly in prison. Thus he vindicates the romantic adage: "If you love him, let him go."

I wouldn't stress about this: Hollywood is simply cynically-overlaying what they now think is currently hip and edgy with the kids, and a year from now you'll see just how off the mark - as always - they were.

* Lori Petty today:

It was a good, entertaining movie. You're over-analyzing it. I didn't know this movie existed until it randomly popped on my tv a few years ago when I was around 20, and my impression of it was that it was about cool dudes unapologetically doing cool things for the sake of their own enjoyment with none of the bullshit "save the third world" or "fight for equality" moralizing that pervades most hollywood crap. Hell, they didn't even bother to throw in any token minorities for PC's sake and the only woman character was a damsel in distress and a pawn for the male characters.

I definitely didn't get any hippie vibes from the film. And gays trying to claim it for the greater glory of faggotry means absolutely nothing. Their whole schtick is to try and convince anyone who will listen that every historical figure was an arse rammer and every great film/song/painting contains homosexual undertones. As a matter of fact, if you've ever had any male friends, you're most likely a faggot, too. They can claim Point Break is a gay fantasy till they're blue in the face, makes no difference to me.

Edit: the fact the movie was directed by a woman points against any homosexual mischief. If anything, it makes it likely the film attempted to glorify masculinity of the sort that appeals to women.

The next movie up for destruction- Point Break - rpg - 05-27-2015

[Image: 519eZgq5G2L._SY445_.jpg]

Cameron:

[Image: 200_s.gif]

The Simpsons, in 1997, having the ultimate word on it, with Poochie D, the rapping dog:

[Image: latest?cb=20121207211354]

[Image: best-simpsons.jpg]

[Image: latest?cb=20130820181509]

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: latest?cb=20130820181448]

He looks familiar.

[Image: patriz-swayze-en-le-llaman-bodhi.jpg]

* Lori Petty today:

The last vestige of her somewhat beauty is her nipples.
WNB

* Lori Petty today:

Shiiiiit, when I first saw Point Break I thought she might be doable, but that hag above would make my penis run up into my stomach to hide.

The next movie up for destruction- Point Break - Benoit - 05-28-2015

The best bit of Point Break was the way people kept thoughtlessly bringing up Utah's former life in pro football.

Guy 1: "Hey Utah, you were great at football!"

Utah: "Yeah, but then my knee exploded. Thanks for reminding me, asshole."

Guy 2: "You were really, really, really awesome in the past. I bet you really miss it"

Utah: "Fuck right off!"

The next movie up for destruction- Point Break - kazz - 05-28-2015

I loved Point Break, I guess it was sort of a coming of age movie for me at the time. The 3 lead male actors made the movie. I also remember at the time thinking something was a bit off about Lori Petty though I still thought Id love to bang her. I guess I kind of idolized Patrick Swayze and Keanu Reeves and the characters they played in it.

You cant over analyze a movie like this to much, you either enjoyed it or you didn't.

On another note

Keanu and Lori then and now.

[Image: attachment.jpg26492]   
[Image: attachment.jpg26491]   

The next movie up for destruction- Point Break - RIslander - 05-28-2015

This looks like a decent fire in the hole flick. 6/10 WW.

The next movie up for destruction- Point Break - robreke - 05-28-2015

Quote: (05-28-2015 04:12 AM)kazz Wrote:  

I loved Point Break, I guess it was sort of a coming of age movie for me at the time. The 3 lead male actors made the movie. I also remember at the time thinking something was a bit off about Lori Petty though I still thought Id love to bang her. I guess I kind of idolized Patrick Swayze and Keanu Reeves and the characters they played in it.

You cant over analyze a movie like this to much, you either enjoyed it or you didn't.

On another note

Keanu and Lori then and now.

^ Good Lord what a contrast.

Wine and milk my dear boys. Wine and milk....

The next movie up for destruction- Point Break - philosophical_recovery - 05-28-2015

Because of this thread I actually sat down and watched Point Break all the way through. I had seen parts, but never the whole thing. I liked it. Swayze made that film. Come to think of it, I like most of what I've seen with him in it.

Then, I mulled over the interactions in it, and how unlike most of my male friendships are when compared to that in the movie.

Good flick.

Then I rewatched the preview of the remake. Nope. I don't think either of those guys have anywhere close the gravitas of Swayze. Double meh.

The next movie up for destruction- Point Break - Cobra - 05-28-2015

Damn I thought that was Kristen Stewart for a second and almost barfed.

The next movie up for destruction- Point Break - Vitriol - 05-28-2015

I always thought Point Break was pretty laughable, even when seeing the original as a kid. The whole subplot (which was addressed seriously) about how it would be "like, so awesome, to just ride off into those waves and die" was pretty ridiculous. Then throw in bank robbers who wear Richard Nixon masks and Tuxedos... along with Gary Busey, and it's basically entertaining for the same reasons the original Total Recall was: it's so hilariously unrealistic and over the top.

SPOILER: This is the end of the film.

Makes me get the feeling that a Surf Ninjas remake is in the works.

[Image: surf-ninjas.jpg]

The next movie up for destruction- Point Break - Quintus Curtius - 05-28-2015

The more I think about the original "Point Break," the more I realize how much I liked it. For all the reasons I said above.

This was a hell of a movie. Ridiculous? Maybe. But entertaining and quotable as hell.

And I'm going to say that the final scene, with Patrick Swayze going out into the colossal waves to meet his maker, has an eerie power to it. Yes, it does.

This is definitely a 1990s cult movie.

Good for the same reasons that the 1980s cult movie "Repo Man" was great.

The next movie up for destruction- Point Break - 262 - 01-19-2016

Did anyone see the remake? I have yet to.

The reviews say it's trash, but then again, the reviews also say the new Star Wars was excellent.