Roosh V Forum
Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! (/thread-9826.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - rudebwoy - 09-25-2012

Quote: (09-24-2012 03:30 AM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

Quick question:
I'm going to be flying to Edmonton later this week or next week at the latest. Regarding the safety tickets (H2S Alive, CSTS etc...), would I be better off doing them prior to getting to E Town or just do them once in E Town? Also, if I were to do them in E Town, do I need to register in advance for them or can I just register the day before? Where would I go to take the courses in Edmonton?

Thanks guys!

Damn you making the plunge too!
Scotian needs to buy a house there for the Rooshites to stay.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - pitt - 09-25-2012

Quote: (09-24-2012 09:13 PM)scotian Wrote:  

23billion you sound like me before I moved out west, I remember someone told me that their cousin was clearing $1500 a week and I thought that was crazy. Well now if I cleared $1500 a week It had better be because I only worked 3 days, my biggest one week cheque was $5500 cleared, $3-4000 is normal.

Am i the only only who is not really understanding the paying over there?

Scotian lets say you make 3k per week and you work 28 days on and 28 days off, thats 12 thousand in a month, you multiply this by 6 months, thats 72 thousand dollars per year. I know you dont work 28 days on, 28 days off but your income should be around that amount if my maths is right. How would a new guy make 100k in one year in that industry? Sorry if im missing a point here.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - catalyst - 09-25-2012

Quote: (09-25-2012 04:00 PM)pitt Wrote:  

23billion you sound like me before I moved out west, I remember someone told me that their cousin was clearing $1500 a week and I thought that was crazy. Well now if I cleared $1500 a week It had better be because I only worked 3 days, my biggest one week cheque was $5500 cleared, $3-4000 is normal.

Scotian lets say you make 3k per week and you work 28 days on and 28 days off, thats 12 thousand in a month, you multiply this by 6 months, thats 72 thousand dollars per year. I know you dont work 28 days on, 28 days off but your income should be around that amount if my maths is right. How would a new guy make 100k in one year in that industry? Sorry if im missing a point here.

What I've read is mostly 14/7, 21/7 and 24/4 as the most common fifo arrangement. So theoretically, doing 24/4 or maybe even 21/7 should net $100,000. What I am not too sure if there are cash benefits (bonuses) in the industry.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - DjembaDjemba - 09-26-2012

As a laborer starting green you probably won't make 100,000 in a year. Lot of people put their LOAs (living allowance) into that equation. It's tax free. You can arrange to live with friends, or trailer, or tent, and save your LOA it will push you over 6 figures (remember its Tax free).

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - DjembaDjemba - 09-26-2012

Quote: (09-25-2012 03:51 PM)rudebwoy Wrote:  

Quote: (09-24-2012 03:30 AM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

Quick question:
I'm going to be flying to Edmonton later this week or next week at the latest. Regarding the safety tickets (H2S Alive, CSTS etc...), would I be better off doing them prior to getting to E Town or just do them once in E Town? Also, if I were to do them in E Town, do I need to register in advance for them or can I just register the day before? Where would I go to take the courses in Edmonton?

Thanks guys!

Damn you making the plunge too!
Scotian needs to buy a house there for the Rooshites to stay.

You can do csts online. The rest are best done in class.

Do these:

Confined space entry and rescue
Csts
Fall protection
H2s
Tdg for driving

Book them before you arrive they fill up fast.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Vacancier Permanent - 09-28-2012

I just booked my ticket and I'm landing in Edmonton on Saturday 06 Oct in the early evening. I'm extremely excited and looking forward to it!

Quick question about cell phones: I am with Fido here in Toronto and wanted to know if I would need an address in Edmonton to get my account and number transferred to an Edmonton one? or would I just need to simply buy a sim card there like I would any where else in the world and get on a pay as you go contract at first till I get settled there with an address and all? Thanks guys!

Any of the RooshV guys in Edmonton next Saturday night, let's go for drinks, to swap war stories and then swooping![Image: banana.gif]

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 09-28-2012

Quote: (09-25-2012 04:00 PM)pitt Wrote:  

The six figures I quoted was before tax, the $3-4K/week is after taxes, Canadian government takes quite a bit from me in taxes, over $40K last year!

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - lordcryor - 10-01-2012

Hello to everyone! I am a newbie to this forum, I've been patiently waiting for the Oct 1st, to become a member. [Image: smile.gif]. I am a Union Journeyman Electrician in the United States. Work in my trade has been SUPER SLOW!!! So for the last 3 months I have been considering possibly working over seas in Afghanistan, but have been a little Leary of making the plunge. About a month ago I found this forum and have been following all of the threads. I have looked at the video links that Scotian has provided about the work camps in Alberta. The money sounds great and since I am single I think that working for 3-6 months hard and taking the next 6 months off would be ideal for me! [Image: smile.gif]. I have a passport and a couple grand in the bank, but it is dwindling fast so I figure I better at least get any paperwork in that would require me to show a certain amount of money while I actually have some money! Lmbo! I have called and emailed a couple of the companies that you (Scotian) listed in past threads but I have never gotten a call or an email returned. Additionally, I went to the Canadian citizenship website and if I read correctly I think I will need a temporary working permit? But there again, I called the Los Angeles Office (which is suppose to cover the processing for my state (Missouri) and it only has a recording. And I really like talking to a live person to get a clear understanding of what I need. If anyone knows someone working at one of the camps that is from the states and could tell me how to go about getting with a company and getting any other permits that I need it would be super!! I know Scotian said that he is not going to work this winter because of the brutal winter, but I Amy not have a choice! Funds are low on my end. Besides, I was born in Michigan and lived there until I graduated from High School. So brutal winters are no surprise for me. But I must admit, the link that was posted that showed a cup of hot coffee being thrown up into the wire and evaporating, now that scared me........ ROTF!!!

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - BigJohn - 10-01-2012

What would be the best way of getting a Job with a M.S. in Chemistry?

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Atlantic - 10-01-2012

Quote: (10-01-2012 02:06 PM)BigJohn Wrote:  

What would be the best way of getting a Job with a M.S. in Chemistry?

Read and apply the nineteen pages of info already given.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 10-01-2012

Quote: (10-01-2012 12:00 PM)lordcryor Wrote:  

Hello to everyone! I am a newbie to this forum, I've been patiently waiting for the Oct 1st, to become a member. [Image: smile.gif]. I am a Union Journeyman Electrician in the United States. Work in my trade has been SUPER SLOW!!! So for the last 3 months I have been considering possibly working over seas in Afghanistan, but have been a little Leary of making the plunge. About a month ago I found this forum and have been following all of the threads. I have looked at the video links that Scotian has provided about the work camps in Alberta. The money sounds great and since I am single I think that working for 3-6 months hard and taking the next 6 months off would be ideal for me! [Image: smile.gif]. I have a passport and a couple grand in the bank, but it is dwindling fast so I figure I better at least get any paperwork in that would require me to show a certain amount of money while I actually have some money! Lmbo! I have called and emailed a couple of the companies that you (Scotian) listed in past threads but I have never gotten a call or an email returned. Additionally, I went to the Canadian citizenship website and if I read correctly I think I will need a temporary working permit? But there again, I called the Los Angeles Office (which is suppose to cover the processing for my state (Missouri) and it only has a recording. And I really like talking to a live person to get a clear understanding of what I need. If anyone knows someone working at one of the camps that is from the states and could tell me how to go about getting with a company and getting any other permits that I need it would be super!! I know Scotian said that he is not going to work this winter because of the brutal winter, but I Amy not have a choice! Funds are low on my end. Besides, I was born in Michigan and lived there until I graduated from High School. So brutal winters are no surprise for me. But I must admit, the link that was posted that showed a cup of hot coffee being thrown up into the wire and evaporating, now that scared me........ ROTF!!!

Are you a member of the IBEW? If so, contact local 424 and see what they say (http://ibew424.net/)

You can also try the non-union coctractors that are listed in this thread (JV Driver, ledcor, PCL, Flint Energy Service, Pyramid Construction, Canonbie, etc). I know that Kiewit hires Americans for work at the Kearl Lake site (Exxon), I think another guy posted on here a couple pages ago that he went to work there.

Since you're a skilled worker and that's what we need here in Canada, check out this site and apply directly to the Alberta Provincial Nominee Program: http://www.albertacanada.com/immigration.../ainp.aspx

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - WanderingSoul - 10-01-2012

Scotian, he could do what Fisto did and hit North Dakota or something, right?

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 10-02-2012

Quote: (10-01-2012 11:50 PM)RioNomad Wrote:  

Scotian, he could do what Fisto did and hit North Dakota or something, right?

I'm not quite sure the demand in North Dakota is as high for tradesmen as it is in Fort McMurray, I'm sure there are some up there but nothing like northern Alberta.

The reason is because in ND, the oil is drilled there and sent away to be refined in other states, only 10% is processed in ND, you can read about that here: http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/03/05...kotas-oil/

In northern Alberta, the oil comes from bitumen, which is a clay like substance referred to as "oil sands", its a very difficult and costly process to separate the oil from the bitumen and it is done on-site at upgraders and refinery like plants in the Fort McMurray area, it is then shipped away for refining.

Basically I imagine a place like Williston ND being full of drilling rigs, great place to get a job as a roughneck, whereas Fort McMurray is full of big refineries and industrial plants, which require lots of tradesmen to build and maintain.

With the recession in the States still going on, I would imagine that its hard for a tradesman to get a steady gig at a refinery these days in big refining centres, hence the reason lots of them are looking north, we need them!

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - 20Nation - 10-02-2012

Is a crane operator one of those jobs that you can up and quit for 6 months?

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - lordcryor - 10-02-2012

@ RioNomad, I am not sure about North Dakota but would be willing to give it a try. What I would really like to do is work a mad amount of hours for several months then take a long vacation. So Fort Mac sounds exactly like what I am looking for, and I am haven't heard or read anything online to lead me to believe that North Dakota is jumping like that!

@ Scotian, yes I am IBEW. About a week ago, after reading a previous threads, I called up my union and had one of the Business Reps call local 424 to inquire about work. The Business Rep called me back and told me that Local 424 does not directly send out any journeyman to any of the oil sand camps. They said that it is all mostly non-union. And that I could try to contact one of the larger companies and try to get on with one of them. Then they also told my Business Rep that I would need something called a Temp work visa. So Scotian, this is when I called a few companies that you had listed and I also emailed a couple. Each company transferred me to a voicemail and I had to leave a message. Its been almost 2 weeks later and I am still waiting on a response. So today I called the Canadian Immigration Consulate Office and kept trying random extensions until I finally got a live person. [Image: smile.gif] The person that I got told me that this was not his department, but he said that I first have to get an invitation to work from a company before I can apply for a Temp Working Visa. So here I am back to square 1. I will try to call back those companies that I called 2 weeks ago and also try to contact a few more. Scotian, how long are you planning on working this fall before you bounce to a warmer climate? I read a thread a couple of weeks ago saying that it was crazy in Fort Mac and the next shut down had already started. So should I just try to tough it out here and wait until Feb or March?

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Atlantic - 10-02-2012

Right gentlemen good news.

Got my drilling gig that I was after. Orientation starts tomorrow.

I am under no illusions- I will be starting at the bottom in harsh weather etc. but I am certain I will rise fast and be a directional driller quickly.

I also turned down a 100k plus a year job with another major oil player for the drilling gig. Just to show you how much opportunity is up here.

Big thanks to Scotian and Kick!!!

So basically I read this tread, copied and pasted all the solid info into one word document. I followed it exactly. Saved less then 5,000 CAD and moved over.

I arrived knowing no-one, had no car, phone, driving license etc.

In less than 3 weeks I have been offered about 6 low paying jobs and 2 circa 100k a year jobs. I just waited for the one I wanted- drilling with the goal of becoming a directional driller. The thought of 50k a month and then the whole next month of is perfect for my goals in life like travel, business and surfing.

So if you are down about life, unsure how to fund that life you always wanted or just want to save a bit and switch things up- MAKE THE MOVE.

On a side note my game has started going through the roof the last few days. The confidence of going here by myself and chasing my dreams makes it so much easier to game girls. I am confident, ambitious and congruent with what I am saying and girls can sense it.

Can't wait to get going and then follow my travel and business goals and hopefully give back some high value info to this board from what I learn.

Ill keep ye posted on training and the first few days on the job....

Peace

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - lordcryor - 10-02-2012

Quote: (10-02-2012 03:33 PM)Irishman Wrote:  

Right gentlemen good news.

Got my drilling gig that I was after. Orientation starts tomorrow.

I am under no illusions- I will be starting at the bottom in harsh weather etc. but I am certain I will rise fast and be a directional driller quickly.

I also turned down a 100k plus a year job with another major oil player for the drilling gig. Just to show you how much opportunity is up here.

Big thanks to Scotian and Kick!!!

So basically I read this tread, copied and pasted all the solid info into one word document. I followed it exactly. Saved less then 5,000 CAD and moved over.

I arrived knowing no-one, had no car, phone, driving license etc.

In less than 3 weeks I have been offered about 6 low paying jobs and 2 circa 100k a year jobs. I just waited for the one I wanted- drilling with the goal of becoming a directional driller. The thought of 50k a month and then the whole next month of is perfect for my goals in life like travel, business and surfing.

So if you are down about life, unsure how to fund that life you always wanted or just want to save a bit and switch things up- MAKE THE MOVE.

On a side note my game has started going through the roof the last few days. The confidence of going here by myself and chasing my dreams makes it so much easier to game girls. I am confident, ambitious and congruent with what I am saying and girls can sense it.

Can't wait to get going and then follow my travel and business goals and hopefully give back some high value info to this board from what I learn.

Ill keep ye posted on training and the first few days on the job....

Peace

WHOA!!!!!!!! Way to go Irishman! Sounds like a great success story in the making. I cant wait to get moving on a similar path. Hopefully things will work out for me just as they did for you!! Congrats again!!!

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Vacancier Permanent - 10-02-2012

This is amazing and truly inspiring Irishman! Please keep us posted on how things go! Im stocked to read about your progress and experience so far! Im really happy for you man!!! Im landing in Edmonton on saturday night and im now even more excited than ever before and very much looking forward to it.

an

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 10-02-2012

Quote: (10-02-2012 02:23 AM)20Nation Wrote:  

Is a crane operator one of those jobs that you can up and quit for 6 months?

Yes, like all other skilled trades (welder, boilermaker, plumber, pipefitter, electrician, etc) you can do contract work or temporary work and choose not to continue working once the job is done. Some of these jobs last a couple of weeks to a couple of months (shut downs especially), some last a few years (construction of a refinery), depending on the company and how strong the economy is (especially if there's a skilled labour shortage as there currently is in Alberta), a worker can negotiate when he wants to work.

On the other hand, if a guy wants steady, year round work, either 40 hours/week or rotation work (14/7, 21/7,etc), those options are available too.

Me personally, I don't like to work the winters and my company knows this so I basically tell them that I want to work between April and November and that has worked out the past two years. I also tried to do a month on month off and it worked for awhile but I always end up getting screwed over and coming back early because they know that I won't say no to work. In almost 5 years at this I haven't said no once, what can I say, I'm a money hungry mofo.

Today, October 2nd, IT FUCKING SNOWED here at the camp site I;m working on (2 hours SE of fort McMurray), thankfully I only have one more week of work left in this year then I'm getting the fuck out!

Quote: (10-02-2012 02:46 AM)lordcryor Wrote:  

@ RioNomad, I am not sure about North Dakota but would be willing to give it a try. What I would really like to do is work a mad amount of hours for several months then take a long vacation. So Fort Mac sounds exactly like what I am looking for, and I am haven't heard or read anything online to lead me to believe that North Dakota is jumping like that!

@ Scotian, yes I am IBEW. About a week ago, after reading a previous threads, I called up my union and had one of the Business Reps call local 424 to inquire about work. The Business Rep called me back and told me that Local 424 does not directly send out any journeyman to any of the oil sand camps. They said that it is all mostly non-union. And that I could try to contact one of the larger companies and try to get on with one of them. Then they also told my Business Rep that I would need something called a Temp work visa. So Scotian, this is when I called a few companies that you had listed and I also emailed a couple. Each company transferred me to a voicemail and I had to leave a message. Its been almost 2 weeks later and I am still waiting on a response. So today I called the Canadian Immigration Consulate Office and kept trying random extensions until I finally got a live person. [Image: smile.gif] The person that I got told me that this was not his department, but he said that I first have to get an invitation to work from a company before I can apply for a Temp Working Visa. So here I am back to square 1. I will try to call back those companies that I called 2 weeks ago and also try to contact a few more. Scotian, how long are you planning on working this fall before you bounce to a warmer climate? I read a thread a couple of weeks ago saying that it was crazy in Fort Mac and the next shut down had already started. So should I just try to tough it out here and wait until Feb or March?

Its true that the non-union companies are bigger than union in the Fort McMurray area, although I know of a few contractors employing local 424 workers, look up Chemco and Transfield Services, try calling them and local 424 directly.

I'd say your best bet is the non-union route as they are bigger and employ more foreigners, many of these companies belong to a sham union called the Christian Labour Association of Canada (CLAC), I would call them directly and see how that goes: http://www.clac.ca/

Don't bother calling the Canadian federal government, go to that Alberta provincial nominee program website I posted above and call them, I spent a few minutes on there and couldn't figure it out, typical government, but that website should have the relevant info you're looking for.

edit: I dug around looking for visa info, here's the website of an immigration lawyer, call them up and ask: http://www.brazolotgroup.com/

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - BadWolf - 10-02-2012

http://www.ufcw.ca/index.html?option=com_...42&lang=en

Hey scotian, the website you pointed me too... looks like its run by a bunch of feminist broads. Right beside the political action link is WOMEN.
Apparently MEN are no longer important in unions.

Well I just checked the current price of oil and the WTI price per barrel is currently at $91.63, this is a very good price for us in the oil biz.

I've probably said this 100+ times in this thread, but again, high oil prices at or above $70/barrel are what the oil sands really needs to be profitable and if they continue to stay in that range, we'll see continued development of these big projects.

I've been on a few different new construction sites in the last couple of months and they're all the same story; we're building phase one of a multi-phase project, we're already preparing for stage two and we've commissioned the engineering for phase three. I heard that exact story from some big wig at Conoco Philips a couple of weeks ago about their Surmont project, they have five stages planned which will take them up to 2020 to build and once complete, it will be the largest SAGD plant site in history. Same story at Suncor Firebag (building SAGD plants until 2012) and Husky sunrise. Exxon kearl lake has finished phase one and is currently building phase two.

Anyway, you guys can have it, I'm done! Haha, I've only been in camp for 2 weeks, my company asked me to go for "just a few days" and of course, the camp gig turned into 3 weeks! I'm here by myself, surrounded by rednecks, the food sucks and in 2 days I will be celebrating my 30th birthday alone in a remote camp and I can't even have a god damned beer!

Guys the oil biz has been good to me and I hope its good to you if you decide to move to Alberta, but trust me, have an exit strategy, a 3-5 year plan to get the money and run because this remote job site lifestyle will take its toll on your head.

End of rant, I'm going to bed, peace.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Galaxy - 10-02-2012

Im going to be turning 18 in 3 months, and I definitely want to do this. Im thinking of doing it for 6 months instead of my first semester of college, starting in July of next year. How possible would it be for getting a job as a pipe welder in fort Mcmurray? I could take the courses at my local community college after december.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - catalyst - 10-02-2012

Quote: (10-02-2012 10:47 PM)Galaxy Wrote:  

Im going to be turning 18 in 3 months, and I definitely want to do this. Im thinking of doing it for 6 months instead of my first semester of college, starting in July of next year. How possible would it be for getting a job as a pipe welder in fort Mcmurray? I could take the courses at my local community college after december.

What are you intending to study in college? If you are thinking of heading into the Social Sciences, I would like to stop you right there. As a final year student, I can tell you that there is very little money in the humanities field. Safe bets are still stuff like accounting, finance etc. If I could turn back the clock, I'd have gone to trade school.