Roosh V Forum
Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! (/thread-9826.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 09-08-2012

Guys its crazy in Fort Mac now with shut downs, I wasn't supposed to go back there for another week as I'm on vacation down east, but my company begged me to come back early so they booked me a flight and I'm heading back in 2 days.

I got another random call today from a shut down coordinator at another company, apparently someone gave him my number and he was calling to see if I'd go work for them.

I'm going up there for one last stint, then I'm getting the fuck out!

Come November I should getting on a plane and heading somewhere as far from Alberta as possible, I've had enough of that place.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - 23Billion - 09-08-2012

I have also booked my plane ticket. Flying out next week.

Quote: (09-08-2012 04:36 PM)scotian Wrote:  

Guys its crazy in Fort Mac now with shut downs, I wasn't supposed to go back there for another week as I'm on vacation down east, but my company begged me to come back early so they booked me a flight and I'm heading back in 2 days.

I got another random call today from a shut down coordinator at another company, apparently someone gave him my number and he was calling to see if I'd go work for them.

Come November I should getting on a plane and heading somewhere as far from Alberta as possible, I've had enough of that place.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - DjembaDjemba - 09-09-2012

I feel Scotian, right now in E-town, I'm not really feeling it. It's sad when I'm actually looking to getting back to work. I'm not sure how long I can live here, I might move to Calgary in a year if shit still ain't poppin.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - NeVerGymLess - 09-09-2012

Quote: (09-09-2012 04:13 PM)DjembaDjemba Wrote:  

I feel Scotian, right now in E-town, I'm not really feeling it. It's sad when I'm actually looking to getting back to work. I'm not sure how long I can live here, I might move to Calgary in a year if shit still ain't poppin.

how much was your first pay check man ?[Image: banana.gif]

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - DjembaDjemba - 09-09-2012

Quote: (09-09-2012 09:09 PM)NeVerGymLess Wrote:  

how much was your first pay check man ?[Image: banana.gif]

lots.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - kosko - 09-09-2012

You gotta get in that zone. Girls just want to have fun. Begin subtle and low key... especially while out dolo is a bad move.

Jam yourself at the bar and just talk to whomever cross your path.. down shots with people and just get wild and messed up. If your looking like your having a great time nobody is going to ask you questions and if they do tell em or say your homies fucked off.

The biggest difference between Toronto and the Prairies IMO is the change of pace and speed of partying. In Toronto so much stuff is going on, were spoiled out there and people take things slow and soft. The night starts early there, people chill, sip. In the prairies you go pre-drink some spot and then roll up to the bar at 12 am drunk of your ass. Then you get even more messed up inside and then go party some place after.

The key is making yourself stand out from the Neanderthals that pack that City. Being a cool dude with swagger, style, who knows how to have a good time is always a plus. Hell don't even tell people your from Toronto because they will wonder why the fuck you came to E-Town because in their mind Toronto is on some next level type thing. Have a great story to explain why you are their other then being a typical person whom came in to work on a site.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - DjembaDjemba - 09-10-2012

Quote: (09-09-2012 11:06 PM)kosko Wrote:  

You gotta get in that zone. Girls just want to have fun. Begin subtle and low key... especially while out dolo is a bad move.

Jam yourself at the bar and just talk to whomever cross your path.. down shots with people and just get wild and messed up. If your looking like your having a great time nobody is going to ask you questions and if they do tell em or say your homies fucked off.

The biggest difference between Toronto and the Prairies IMO is the change of pace and speed of partying. In Toronto so much stuff is going on, were spoiled out there and people take things slow and soft. The night starts early there, people chill, sip. In the prairies you go pre-drink some spot and then roll up to the bar at 12 am drunk of your ass. Then you get even more messed up inside and then go party some place after.

The key is making yourself stand out from the Neanderthals that pack that City. Being a cool dude with swagger, style, who knows how to have a good time is always a plus. Hell don't even tell people your from Toronto because they will wonder why the fuck you came to E-Town because in their mind Toronto is on some next level type thing. Have a great story to explain why you are their other then being a typical person whom came in to work on a site.

When I come back from my next rotation it's back in the hunt.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - 23Billion - 09-10-2012

WHOA man 50K a month sounds great.

I bet its one of those industry secret things lol.

Quote: (09-03-2012 05:25 AM)Irishman Wrote:  

Right Scotian I am taking your advice and going straight up to Edmonton. Can't wait!

I will be sure to keep everyone up to date on my progress and how I get on.

At the moment the tough choice is what job area to go for when I land. Nearly too many online to pick from so I will just see how it goes and can always switch afterwards. I am thinking of getting into directional drilling as I have a friend doing it in Casper, Wyoming and says the guy training him is on 50k a month! Sounds like an alright gig too.

So I think I will start off by applying to drilling companies for work.

Quick question: should I pack a suit for job interviews or just smart casual clothes? Dont want to overdress if everyone up there is quite laidback in the offices.

Thanks

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Atlantic - 09-10-2012

@23 Billion:

Hey man,

Ya seems the way to go. From what I can tell there are two routes:

http://www.savannaenergy.com/default.asp?id=174

One start from the bottom, work hard and move on up. Probably takes about 1-2 years to get near to being a driller.

The other route is becoming a MWD straight away:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measurement_while_drilling

Thats what my friend did. If you make the right contacts you can go straight to that once you have a degree. Do that for a year or two and your in and can move up to Directional Drilling. This is the way that I am planning on doing it. Less hard work and its better wages right from the start.

Once I hit Edmonton I am going to ask around and see what leads I can get. Whats your plan?

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Atlantic - 09-10-2012

Sounds like you have had enough. Is it really your last time up there?

Quote: (08-29-2012 04:54 PM)scotian Wrote:  

also check in with temp agencies (randstadt, manpower, diversified Staffing, etc).

Can someone explain these more? Do you work by the day or do they hire you for a week/2 weeks/month etc.

Any idea what the day rate would be like/kind of work you do...

Seems like a good way to keep the money level good in between looking for work...

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 09-10-2012

Quote: (09-10-2012 02:53 AM)Irishman Wrote:  

Sounds like you have had enough. Is it really your last time up there?

I'll be back in Fort Mac tomorrow and I will likely do another month there, then I have a 2 week course to do in Edmonton in mid-October, I will probably inform my employer in 2 weeks or so that I won't be coming back after the course. It gets cold in AB by November and I swore to myself that I'll never do another winter up there working outside.

There's a lot of money in directional drilling and WMD type work, its a lot different than what I do (refinery work) but certainly a lot of money in it and especially travel opportunities. Again, as you have probably read throughout this thread, I'd never work on a drilling rig, but to each his own. Yes the driller position is a pretty sweet gig, but I could never be a roughneck, the guy making 50K per month has likely been doing it for 10+ years.

Temp agencies should be your last resort, some are just day jobs, some lead to full time work, most pay by the week, some by the day. Its busy enough that you shouldn't have to resort to temp agencies though.

Thanks for all the help Scotian

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Nima - 09-11-2012

Guys, is this PST course the same as CSTS? Where can I take this CSTS course online? Can't seem to find it.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Nima - 09-11-2012

Quote: (09-11-2012 11:34 AM)Nima Wrote:  

Guys, is this PST course the same as CSTS? Where can I take this CSTS course online? Can't seem to find it.

nvm, found a place to register for CSTS.
http://www.vrca.bc.ca/page/csts.aspx

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 09-11-2012

Quote: (09-11-2012 11:34 AM)Nima Wrote:  

They're both the same thing, I would suggest taking it directly from Enform as its the most recognized place to take it in AB, and yes, you can do it online for $100: http://www.enform.ca/coursesearch/defaul...rds=online

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Atlantic - 09-17-2012

Right everyone!

I have landed and everything is going great so far:

First night I slept at the airport since they lost my bags but wasn’t the worst. Got the Red Arrow from the airport the next morning which was like 65 dollars to Edmonton. Booked into the HI Hostel just of Whtye Ave which is the one Scotian recommend. This place is like ground zero for oil guys coming and going so its great to find stuff out and network.

I collected my bike for getting around the first night. Got a great deal on a '52 Peugeot bike that the guy brought back from Europe. He was a really cool ex-army pilot who was based in Frankfurt and gave me a lift back to the hostel since it took me like 2 hours to get to his house. People here are so friendly its crazy.

So with my bike sorted I got my bank account set up with the Bank of Montreal the next day. Only picked that bank cause I want to travel there haha plus the girl signing me up was really cute. Also got my SIN number which took only like half an hour and I got a phone from the girls at City Mall. Rodgers I think the network is. Go with them if you are foreign cause they don’t push for your SIN number like other places did. I was told not to give it out to anyone except employers and other phone places wanted to see it before I could get on contract.

Chilled for the weekend. Did a bit of day game on the bike. Ask girls for directions and drop hints like 'I keep getting lost since I got here' or 'its so different from back home' till they bite and then take it from there. Got a few numbers and this mum even said she would hook me up with her daughters haha.
She also put me in touch with her friend who I am moving in with tomorrow. Its a spare room in there house for 700 a month including bills which seems alright plus if I have to move on they will give me back what weeks I didn’t stay plus no deposit and its fully furnished. They seem like really nice people too.

Did the H2S Alive course today which was a good laugh. The instructor guy was hilarious. He did a good job of scaring the f*ck out of me about sour gas too. It kills, explodes, burns and its everywhere! Sweet...

Signed up for my First Aid, Hazardous Material course and the CSTS so by Monday I will have them all. Also have an interview lined up tomorrow for a Graduate Management program with a big enough crowd so hopefully that goes well. I think that is based in Red Deer.

Plus also met ?kick- really cool, friendly sharp guy. Was meant to meet him out that night but he stayed in one of his girls. I had a solo mission which was fun but not much luck. Clubs are way too loud here to get a good conversation going. Going to pick a more social place next time. Think it was called Encore or something.

Well hopefully the above inspires some more people to make the move. Loads of jobs out here guys and the locals are super cool and I really like the city. More to follow soon hopefully.....

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 09-18-2012

Glad to hear that you've arrived in Etown Irishman, sounds like things are going well so far, I'm sure you'll do well, keep us posted with your progress. I'll be down in Edmonton October 13th for a couple of weeks, if you're not already working out of town, we'll have too meet up for some drinks.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - pitt - 09-18-2012

Irishman glad things are going well, thanks for breaking down everything.

I will be following your story here.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Atlantic - 09-18-2012

Quote: (09-18-2012 03:21 AM)scotian Wrote:  

Glad to hear that you've arrived in Etown Irishman, sounds like things are going well so far, I'm sure you'll do well, keep us posted with your progress. I'll be down in Edmonton October 13th for a couple of weeks, if you're not already working out of town, we'll have too meet up for some drinks.

Sounds good man. Had a good phone interview this morning so maybe will be moving soon enough but we will see. Either way I'll meet up with ya for a few. Roll on the big bucks

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Tresdus - 09-18-2012

Yes, thank you Irishman.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Vacancier Permanent - 09-20-2012

Awesome stuff Irishman! I'm sure you will find something good soon and you will start banking very soon. I may be joining you guys in the next week or 2...can't wait!

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - ?Kick - 09-21-2012

Quote: (09-18-2012 03:21 AM)scotian Wrote:  

You're gonna have a posse waiting for ya scotian! Think there's 3 of us so far (me, Djemba and Irishman), vp is coming out too. Be prepared to drink, and drink, and drink some more! I just hope none of us will have to work the next day.

And for everyone that's thinking about making the move or is on the fence, if you have some bank roll saved up (~3-4k), just do it! I might have mentioned it already, but it's the best decision I've ever made. Also, since there's a couple of us out here now, it's not like you'd have to roll dolo

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - rudebwoy - 09-21-2012

I wasn't considering it until a friend of mine told me Suncor flew him out there for 2 days for an interview. They put him up in a hotel and gave him a rent a car. No he is not some big oil exec, just a regular joe.

Seems like half of Ontario is starting to make the move to Alberta.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Vin - 09-21-2012

Quote: (09-21-2012 01:42 PM)rudebwoy Wrote:  

Seems like half of Ontario is starting to make the move to Alberta.

Why not, all of Nova Scotia is there too!!