Roosh V Forum
Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! (/thread-9826.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - 23Billion - 09-03-2012

Hey Scotian man thanks a lot again. I did read through the thread and sorry about the stupid/obvious questions.

I found a contact for learning Cabinetmaking and I'm thinking to do that for now since I don't have the money to move to Alberta yet. I don't have any skills that I can put on my resume so I figured might as well learn some cabinetmaking. I am broke right now and I want to have at least 3 to 4 grand before I go there so I can take my time and not have to worry about running out of options. But if I do get a job offer I'd be on the plane the next day.

I agree with Scotian on those 'private colleges'. I'd suggest to stay away from those places. Either go to a publicly funded school, or don't. I know a few dudes who spent 10K+ on courses/programs from these 'strip mall colleges' for nothing. They're back at the same/similar jobs they were doing before. I told them all about this forum and specifically about this thread. Soctian is doing a real service to humanity by posting all this information.

Those of you who are in Alberta already or are planning to go there, check out Noralta Lodge website http://www.noraltalodge.com. They had a job posting for 'kitchen helper/sandwich maker' that was paying $300 for a 12-hour over night shift for 84 hours a week plus all the benefits etc. I already applied for that position but there are still more posted on their website under the career section. This is one of those camp jobs where you do rotational shifts.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Atlantic - 09-03-2012

Quote: (08-29-2012 04:54 PM)scotian Wrote:  

Glad to hear you're making the move Irishman, you'll be the first RVF member from outside of Canada to move to Alberta and work in the oil biz. I know of three other Canadian guys who've made the move and as far as I know, they're all currently working.

September is a very busy time in Alberta and I"m confident you'll find a job quickly, hopefully you have enough cash in the bank to allow yourself some time to shop around for a job with a company that suits you best.

One thing though, why are you going to Calgary first then Edmonton, because of the flights? If you're planning on going to Edmonton, why not just go there right away and take care of all your admin stuff there and safety courses? You can take a bus (Greyhound or Red Arrow), its a 3 hour drive north to E-town.

Of course, there's plenty of work in Calgary too and fly in/out positions available from there, so you could just stay there, actually I prefer Calgary to Edmonton, much nicer city.

Whichever city you choose to stay in, you're plan will be the same:

-land at airport and take a shuttle or taxi to the Hosteling International hostel (http://www.hihostels.com), check in for a few days or a week while you take care of your banking and other things. The HI hostel in Edmonton is located a block away from the main party spot in E-town, Whyte Ave, the one in Calgary is very close to downtown, in East Village (a bit sketchy at night!) Dorm rooms are about $30/night.

-Buy a weekly transit pass that will allow you to get on buses and the LRT (Light Rail Transit), both cities have one. Neither city is great for transit and there aren't many bus options going to the industrial areas, it'll take awhile to get around to hand out CVs but it can be done, I did it.

-Find a training centre close to the LRT lines or bus stops and do your H2S and CSTS as a minimum, first-aid is nice to have but not essential.

-I'd recommend finding a room in a house for rent, should be able to get one for around $400-600, again, being close to transit is ideal. Check http://www.kijiji.ca and craigslist.

-Apply for jobs: look up all the companies I posted throughout this forum, check the Service Canada Job Bank (http://www.jobbank.gc.ca), check listings in the local papers, online job companies (Monster.ca, workopolis, etc), also check in with temp agencies (randstadt, manpower, diversified Staffing, etc).

I recommend giving yourself about 2-3 weeks to get all of this done and get to know whichever city (Calgary or Edmonton) you decide to stay in. Also, try to meet some women because if you're working away on a fly in/out rotation, it'll be nice to have some friends to go out with on your days off.

Also, NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK! Wherever you go in Alberta, people are generally friendly and will try to help you out if they can. I'm not encouraging you to spend all of your time in bars, but a lot tradesmen and business owners hang out in bars and restaurants after work and will likely take your CV and pass it along to hiring managers. In Calgary, check out 8 ave and 17th after 4pm, in Edmonton it'll be the bars and pubs on Jasper and Whyte.

I'm currently travelling but will be back in Edmonton Septmeber 13th for a couple of days before heading back up to Fort McMurray.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Right Scotian I am taking your advice and going straight up to Edmonton. Can't wait!

I will be sure to keep everyone up to date on my progress and how I get on.

At the moment the tough choice is what job area to go for when I land. Nearly too many online to pick from so I will just see how it goes and can always switch afterwards. I am thinking of getting into directional drilling as I have a friend doing it in Casper, Wyoming and says the guy training him is on 50k a month! Sounds like an alright gig too.

So I think I will start off by applying to drilling companies for work.

Quick question: should I pack a suit for job interviews or just smart casual clothes? Dont want to overdress if everyone up there is quite laidback in the offices.

Thanks

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - ltyler01 - 09-03-2012

Greetings my friends!

I will be leaving for Edmonton Canada from the US tomorrow September 4th. I'll start off working for Kiewit at the Kearl Sands as a pipefitter which begins my journey. I would like to express my gratitude to Scotian for posting all the great information which helped me to decide to make this move. I had doubts about at first. But now I know its a most excellent decision. I now look forward to this opportunity.

Best wishes Irishman....see you there soon!

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - ltyler01 - 09-03-2012

Quote: (08-26-2012 04:28 PM)Sabra Wrote:  

Great thread scotian, big +1.

Would also suggest to people interested in this to look into natural gas or clean energy (wind, solar, hydro, etc.) first. It's also undergoing a huge boom (especially NG), and you can find utility work almost anywhere in the world. It also includes a wide range of skills, and they will often train you as welder, fitter, mechanic, appliance repairsman, etc. Many times in those positions you can work up to supervisor, and they'll pay for a technical degree. Also they're always looking for engineers, accountants, etc.

Depending on where you live, you may or may not need to join the union. They typically pay well to start, and almost always need overtime. People can easily pull in over $120K if they're willing to work the OT.

This can be a good compromise if you're looking for high paying, steady (though physically difficult) work, but don't want to go somewhere as remote as the oil sands.

Also a lot cleaner for the environment than oil - that's not a 'tree-hugger' perspective, it's simple fact.

Regarding the questions about training, safety courses, etc., I can't answer specifically to the oil sands, but take note that many degrees and courses are only relevant for a specific country or state. For example, somebody trained under NEC, or NFPA, or ASME codes in the US may not qualify to work as electrician, pipefitter, pressure vessel inspector, etc. elsewhere, or may need to re-qualify. I know that at least some of the Canadian codes differ from the US ones.

Anyone going to Canada through a temporary work permit will can work there for a period of time, from 6 months...up to a year in some cases before a work visa can be issued. After that, they must challenge for and pass Canada's Red Seal exam for their trade or profession, usually within 180 days. I'm going to Alberta Canada to work under these requirements. Most the companies there hiring workers for long term assignments offer preparation for taking the Red Seal exam.

For skilled trades-persons Alberta's Apprenticeship & Industry Training (AAIT). AAIT evaluates work experience by speaking directly with previous employers and training institutions (using interpreters where necessary), and then issues a letter of approval permitting the TFW (Temporary Foreign Worker) to enter and work up to 180 days in Canada before passing the exam. Then a work visa can be issued.

My guess for other professions the process is similar.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Road_Less_Taken - 09-03-2012

Hey, this may have been somewhere in this thread previously but I couldn't find it.

I was looking on some of the websites and since I'm not the type to get my hands that dirty I was looking at a job like a Regulatory Affairs Professional. It looks like you need either a law degree, MBA or an MA in economics as a prereq (I'm finishing up my BA at the moment)

http://www.careersinoilandgas.com/workin...onals.aspx

I couldn't find anything on introductory pay, though you'd think it would be quite high... Also a little curious as far as flexability in the job would go. While working up north would be far from ideal I really like the idea of having 3 months off a year to travel while still making a decent wage.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Nima - 09-04-2012

Scotian, what do you think about this pre-apprenticeship course?
http://www.sait.ca/programs-and-courses/...erview.php
Pipefitting Technician

Quote:Quote:

24-week Certificate
Fall and winter starts
New industry-driven offering
High industry demand

Program Description

This program is an excellent way to accelerate your career in the pipefitting trade. Over the course of this 24-week program you will learn the skills and theory taught in the first and second period of the Steamfitter/Pipefitter apprenticeship program. You will learn how to install, maintain, troubleshoot and repair equipment and become knowledgeable in areas such as blueprint reading, rigging and hoisting and pipe fabrication and assembly.

Upon successful completion of your first 12 weeks, you will be eligible to write the first period Pipefitting apprenticeship exam. At the end of the 24 weeks, providing you pass the first period exam and the last 12 week of the course, you will be eligible to write the second period Pipefitting apprenticeship exam.

I'm interested in it because it's actually cheaper than other pre-employment courses I've found and it's also more comprehensive. The tuition is only $2,238.

btw, we have to be signed up as an apprentice and complete the min required hours before we can challenged the tests, correct?

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - pitt - 09-04-2012

Im loving irishman motivation, im sure he will do well when he arrives there. Note how a positive mindset help you reach your goals. Irishman is highly positive that he will find a job, he is acting upon it and therefore he will get a good job there. This shit is game, in 3 months you will see what im talking about.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Sabra - 09-04-2012

@Irishman - directional drilling can be good, lucrative work. in the States we would hire horizontal directional drilling (HDD) crews for natural gas main laying in difficult areas, under railroads, etc. Obviously big on oil jobs as well. They got very good pay compared to regular contractors, and there weren't many competitors.

Another position to consider is heavy machinery operator. A good backhoe operator (you know, the ones who can excavate around a 3/4" leaking gas service buried 2 meters deep at night in the pouring rain) is always needed, and its less back breaking work than being the guy in the hole welding.

Another idea for guys who prefer to use their heads more than their backs, but still want to be in the field and not the office, is cathodic protection. This can include coating steel pipes, running anodes near pipes, painting structures, checking voltage at test stations, etc. For those with a basic understanding of electicity.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Atlantic - 09-06-2012

Hey guys,

Less than a week to flying out and things are shaping up nicely.

Flights, visa, travel insurance are all taken care of. Total cost for all three is less than a 1000 Euros.

Hostel booked in Edmonton for a week. Around 220 CAD.

3 Courses lined up for the week after I land. H2S Alive, Standard First & PST(CSTS)

CV and a letter of recommendation are done and look real tight.

Suit is packed in, plus some good winter clothes.

Even got a new haircut- didnt think my surf afro would work well at job interviews haha

Speaking of which I have 3 job interviews lined up 2 days after I land. I emailed all the recruitment agencies asking who wanted to help me find some work. Got to love outsourcing.

Basically I look the part and have the paperwork to back it up.

So nearly ready to hit the ground and start hustling. Can't wait! Trying to keep myself as motivated and positive as possible.

So for less than 5000 Euros all in I should be able to get a job that pays big bucks. Wont be long making back my initial investment anyway haha.

I will keep this up to date as much as I can once I land...

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Atlantic - 09-06-2012

Also I am thinking of just getting a bike to get around...

http://edmonton.en.craigslist.ca/bik/3241938662.html

I can knock down the guy on price then sell it back to someone in the hostel for a bit more after I'm done.
Kinda want to keep my money levels as high as possible.

Seems like everything is within biking distance and would be a kinda fun way to get around.
Good for day game too- girls kinda like me approached when you are on a bike I find.

Anyone know if you have to wear a bike helmet in Canada? Does'nt matter in Ireland but I know some countries are real strict on that. I hate bike helmets.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - raliv - 09-06-2012

Irishman, good luck dude. Keep us posted. I am interested in the process for a foreigner to get a job up there as I am an American and might be making that same trip north. Do you have a work permit or will the companies that hire you get you one? (noob question)

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Vacancier Permanent - 09-06-2012

Irishman,
Your attitude is simply remarkable. I'm convinced you will succeed there. You have a good head on your shoulders, know what you want and are willing to go after it. That's a winning combination right there. All the best man and we might meet there next month.

Cheers.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Nima - 09-06-2012

Quote: (09-06-2012 04:03 AM)Irishman Wrote:  

Hey guys,

Less than a week to flying out and things are shaping up nicely.

Flights, visa, travel insurance are all taken care of. Total cost for all three is less than a 1000 Euros.

Hostel booked in Edmonton for a week. Around 220 CAD.

3 Courses lined up for the week after I land. H2S Alive, Standard First & PST(CSTS)

CV and a letter of recommendation are done and look real tight.

Suit is packed in, plus some good winter clothes.

Even got a new haircut- didnt think my surf afro would work well at job interviews haha

Speaking of which I have 3 job interviews lined up 2 days after I land. I emailed all the recruitment agencies asking who wanted to help me find some work. Got to love outsourcing.

Basically I look the part and have the paperwork to back it up.

So nearly ready to hit the ground and start hustling. Can't wait! Trying to keep myself as motivated and positive as possible.

So for less than 5000 Euros all in I should be able to get a job that pays big bucks. Wont be long making back my initial investment anyway haha.

I will keep this up to date as much as I can once I land...

Quote: (09-06-2012 04:19 AM)Irishman Wrote:  

Also I am thinking of just getting a bike to get around...

http://edmonton.en.craigslist.ca/bik/3241938662.html

I can knock down the guy on price then sell it back to someone in the hostel for a bit more after I'm done.
Kinda want to keep my money levels as high as possible.

Seems like everything is within biking distance and would be a kinda fun way to get around.
Good for day game too- girls kinda like me approached when you are on a bike I find.

Anyone know if you have to wear a bike helmet in Canada? Does'nt matter in Ireland but I know some countries are real strict on that. I hate bike helmets.

Different province by province, but for Alberta:

Quote:Quote:

The Alberta helmet law came into effect from 1st May 2002. It applies to cyclists under 18 years of age and includes passengers and toddlers on tricycles.

http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1032.html

And congrats on the move. Are you just looking for labour jobs? Have any plans to get into a trade after a while?

Guys link here for the visa I got and the travel insurance too for 169 euros. Dont think it will work if you arnt Irish but maybe it will help locate similar deals: http://www.go4less.ie/canada-visas/canada-work-visa.asp

Thanks Nima for the bike Info. I was looking for just well paying labour jobs at the start but from just sending out emails and the response I am getting it sounds like I can talk my way into an alright inside office job, hopefully mid management. I think its part of being Irish that you learn to talk yourself in and out of anything as needs be haha. I am all for hard labour though if I need too though, I have worked many a hard job before but if I can get a comfy office job why not?

Raliv: I have a one year working visa ( check the link above). It is very easy to get the second year and I believe it keeps going to four years are up then you have to apply for a professional one or something (?). I will be telling employers that I have a full 2 years work permit and contacts for another 2. Make hiring me an easy choice basically.

To be honest I dont mind telling a few white lies to get in the door because I actually do think I am a good worker at the end of the day and that they won't feel cheated. I think talking yourself up is all part of getting hired. I am being selective with the truth is how I put it...

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - BadWolf - 09-06-2012

What do you guys think about me bringing my wife out there. I'm at odds whether I should bring her to a mancamp or not. She prefers to sit indoors and watch cartoons during her free time (not a party animal) so she would likely stay in her room at night or in her off hours. She wants to help me work and I saw one of the lodges someone posted looking for a cook. I've sent her to cooking school here and I'll put her back in if it will make a difference. She can prep several different dishes of Catonese and Mandarin. I don't mind working as a cook either but would prefer to do something trade related.

What do you think?? I wouldn't want to find out some horny criminal raped her during her off hours, I would end up in jail for murder at that point. Shes fairly pretty.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - pitt - 09-06-2012

If the rooshforum was a work camp,would you take your wife there? I doubt it, the same applies for those camps.

You are facing hundreds of horny guys, they will eye fuck your wife hard all the time, they stay days and days without fucking, if your wife loses it, she may even fuck one of the guys there.

Just leave your wife home.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - CtrlAltElite - 09-06-2012

How much can I expect to pull if I take a job up there with a bachelor's in chemistry? I'll be graduating with an amount of debt, but if unskilled guys are pulling 60k a year, then I could pay my entire loan off in a few months.

Hopefully there will still be jobs for the next 3-4 years.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - catalyst - 09-06-2012

Quote: (09-06-2012 08:19 PM)CtrlAltElite Wrote:  

How much can I expect to pull if I take a job up there with a bachelor's in chemistry? I'll be graduating with an amount of debt, but if unskilled guys are pulling 60k a year, then I could pay my entire loan off in a few months.

My advice to you if you are in the first year is to quit university and go to a trade school. Unless your long term goals involves having a PHD or MA in Chemistry. Some of my friends with a BSc is going back to school for another degree at the undergraduate level because they can't find a job.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - pitt - 09-07-2012

I wonder what happened to djemba djemba

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - DjembaDjemba - 09-07-2012

Quote: (09-07-2012 12:44 PM)pitt Wrote:  

I got a job on the 2nd day here. Been working on site since, got my first week's paycheque last night. Brings a tear of joy to my eye.

I'm off for a week and have been solo dolo out in E-town clubs. My game has been really off. Toronto subtle shit that worked for me there don't work here and I've been doing too much wall post ups trying to figure wtf's the deal. Bitches here like cavemen. Most dudes here just drink until they stumble around so bitches are extra cautious.

I'll post up a datasheet of E town when I finish up on saturday or Sunday before I head out of town for a month again.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - pitt - 09-07-2012

Quote: (09-07-2012 03:03 PM)DjembaDjemba Wrote:  

I got a job on the 2nd day here. Been working on site since, got my first week's paycheque last night. Brings a tear of joy to my eye.

I'm off for a week and have been solo dolo out in E-town. I hope it gets better but I have to admit my game has been really off. Toronto subtle shit don't work here. Bitches here like cavemen.

damn,.that was easy.

So what job are you doing there? You care to say how much you are earning after taxes? Do you have any relevant experience that is applicable on the field?

I think your answers would help all of us interested in moving there.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - DjembaDjemba - 09-07-2012

Quote: (09-07-2012 03:07 PM)pitt Wrote:  

Quote: (09-07-2012 03:03 PM)DjembaDjemba Wrote:  

I'm off for a week and have been solo dolo out in E-town. I hope it gets better but I have to admit my game has been really off. Toronto subtle shit don't work here. Bitches here like cavemen.

damn,.that was easy.

So what job are you doing there? You care to say how much you are earning after taxes? Do you have any relevant experience that is applicable on the field?

I think your answers would help all of us interested in moving there.

I had it easier because I had a connection here already, so I was hired on the spot w/o any formalities. If you're coming here without a connection, it's a little different. If you're doing a higher end job that is specialized (engineer, something that requres 10 years exp etc), you'll probably need to apply online, it's the usual bs with HR.

But if you want to get your feet wet from the shallow end of the water and get into general labour, a trade, or something along those lines you can simply go to industrial park, drive around and submit your resume. Put relevant shit on it, like "previous construction experience", or "welder", or whatever skills you bring to the table.

Make sure you have a local number, a ride, and are available asap. Get your tickets they help, companies will pay for them but it makes you more employable. The most important are H2S, Confined Space, CSTS, WHMIS, Fall Protection.

If you want any specific info on pay toss me a PM, but it's similar to the numbers Scotian posted on page 1 of the thread.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - CtrlAltElite - 09-07-2012

Quote: (09-06-2012 09:54 PM)catalyst Wrote:  

Quote: (09-06-2012 08:19 PM)CtrlAltElite Wrote:  

My advice to you if you are in the first year is to quit university and go to a trade school. Unless your long term goals involves having a PHD or MA in Chemistry. Some of my friends with a BSc is going back to school for another degree at the undergraduate level because they can't find a job.

I'm going for a masters after. If I can work 2-3 years here, I'll be able to complete school debt-free.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - mr thin - 09-07-2012

This is crazy money and even in the UK there are young guys (like 20 y.o) on £70k+ per year... Crazy that I went to university and work for a less than that. Definitely tempting.

My father works offshore though and he says that the offshore companies have hired a lot of Eastern Europeans to flood the market recently - particularly for people who dont have a trade / unskilled. Just a word of caution.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 09-08-2012

Quote: (09-03-2012 01:08 PM)Road_Less_Taken Wrote:  

Hey, this may have been somewhere in this thread previously but I couldn't find it.

I was looking on some of the websites and since I'm not the type to get my hands that dirty I was looking at a job like a Regulatory Affairs Professional. It looks like you need either a law degree, MBA or an MA in economics as a prereq (I'm finishing up my BA at the moment)

http://www.careersinoilandgas.com/workin...onals.aspx

I couldn't find anything on introductory pay, though you'd think it would be quite high... Also a little curious as far as flexability in the job would go. While working up north would be far from ideal I really like the idea of having 3 months off a year to travel while still making a decent wage.

I don't know anything that profession but I know that those type of office jobs aren't very flexible when it comes to taking long periods of time off, they likely involve a 40 hour work week, M-F, in some office in Edmonton or Calgary with 2-3 weeks of vacation per year.

I'd recommend finishing your degree then moving out west for a couple of years and finding some entry level gig before committing yourself to a 2 year graduate program.

The jobs that involve getting your hands dirty, like mine, are usually the only ones that I know of where a guy can just quit his job to travel for months at a time and then come back to work.