Roosh V Forum
Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! (/thread-9826.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - raliv - 08-23-2012

should we try to get the safety courses done before we get up there or is it standard procedure that the companies we hire on with take care of that?

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Vacancier Permanent - 08-23-2012

From my understanding is that you better have it before applying to companies as having them make you look more serious to the companies looking to hire newbies.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Sabra - 08-26-2012

Great thread scotian, big +1.

Would also suggest to people interested in this to look into natural gas or clean energy (wind, solar, hydro, etc.) first. It's also undergoing a huge boom (especially NG), and you can find utility work almost anywhere in the world. It also includes a wide range of skills, and they will often train you as welder, fitter, mechanic, appliance repairsman, etc. Many times in those positions you can work up to supervisor, and they'll pay for a technical degree. Also they're always looking for engineers, accountants, etc.

Depending on where you live, you may or may not need to join the union. They typically pay well to start, and almost always need overtime. People can easily pull in over $120K if they're willing to work the OT.

This can be a good compromise if you're looking for high paying, steady (though physically difficult) work, but don't want to go somewhere as remote as the oil sands.

Also a lot cleaner for the environment than oil - that's not a 'tree-hugger' perspective, it's simple fact.

Regarding the questions about training, safety courses, etc., I can't answer specifically to the oil sands, but take note that many degrees and courses are only relevant for a specific country or state. For example, somebody trained under NEC, or NFPA, or ASME codes in the US may not qualify to work as electrician, pipefitter, pressure vessel inspector, etc. elsewhere, or may need to re-qualify. I know that at least some of the Canadian codes differ from the US ones.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 08-26-2012

Quote: (08-26-2012 04:28 PM)Sabra Wrote:  

Great thread scotian, big +1.

Would also suggest to people interested in this to look into natural gas or clean energy (wind, solar, hydro, etc.) first. It's also undergoing a huge boom (especially NG), and you can find utility work almost anywhere in the world. It also includes a wide range of skills, and they will often train you as welder, fitter, mechanic, appliance repairsman, etc. Many times in those positions you can work up to supervisor, and they'll pay for a technical degree. Also they're always looking for engineers, accountants, etc.

Depending on where you live, you may or may not need to join the union. They typically pay well to start, and almost always need overtime. People can easily pull in over $120K if they're willing to work the OT.

This can be a good compromise if you're looking for high paying, steady (though physically difficult) work, but don't want to go somewhere as remote as the oil sands.

Also a lot cleaner for the environment than oil - that's not a 'tree-hugger' perspective, it's simple fact.

Regarding the questions about training, safety courses, etc., I can't answer specifically to the oil sands, but take note that many degrees and courses are only relevant for a specific country or state. For example, somebody trained under NEC, or NFPA, or ASME codes in the US may not qualify to work as electrician, pipefitter, pressure vessel inspector, etc. elsewhere, or may need to re-qualify. I know that at least some of the Canadian codes differ from the US ones.

Great advice Sabra, I definitely agree on the natural gas, although its not as big in Alberta as it was a few years ago (prices have dropped quite a bit), its going to be huge in coming years, especially in the USA, which some claim is the "Saudi Arabia" of NG. There's a lot of it in Australia too, where they're currently building the largest LNG terminal in the world, Qatar too has lots.

We use a lot of American codes in Canada, especially ASME and API, even the Canadian codes such as the ones in the Canadian Welding Bureau are very similar to the ones from the American Welding Society.

About the "green jobs", as much as I support the development and use of cleaner energy technology, I don't see it as booming. Do you know of any places in the world where they're building wind farms and solar power systems at a rate comparable to the resource booms in places like the oil sands, Williston North Dakota or Western Australia?

I honestly don't know a lot about clean energy but aside from the jobs related to engineering, design and construction, are there many jobs in clean energy maintenance?

[Image: attachment.jpg7470]   

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - alecks - 08-27-2012

wassup scotian,

There is a course i can take in regards to welding from jan 2013 to the end of april.its kind of an evening course/pre employment course showing the basics and ins-and-outs of starting welding.

"This course provides a practical introduction to three common welding processes which are used in industry Structure Candidates may take any or all of the following Welding Processes:

Manual Metal-Arc Welding (MMA) rutile electrodes,
Metal-Arc Gas Shielded welding (MAGS) solid wire,
Tungsten Arc Gas Shielded welding (TAGS) carbon steel /stainless steel"

I have no idea about welding at all.Il have to start reading books and getting tips from my brother (he was a welder for years).Im just in it for the paper when i move out there.Would a pre-employment course like this look good on my resume for a company/contractor? Would may/june 2013 be a good time to move out still? Thanks a lot man

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Sabra - 08-27-2012

@scotian - I take your point about the green jobs. It's been a lot of starts and stops the last few years. But the bottom line remains - oil and NG keep getting more expensive to produce as the low hanging fruit (or low-buried oil, as it were) gets used up. Meanwhile the price on alt energy keeps dropping.

Wouldn't call it a boom like NG, but it's gonna keep growing. Take a look at wind power in northern Europe (UK, scandanavia) for instance.

These types of jobs need maintenance just the same as any fossil fuel jobs. Start off with a large construction crew, then trim down for O&M. Cleaning solar cells, maintaining turbines, patching geothermal piping, etc etc. As you say, it's still tiny compared to the oil industry, but IMO this is the future and it pays to be an early mover.

And the big advantage of the type of skilled work you and I are talking about, whether oil gas or other, is that they will always be in demand around the world.

You mentioned Australia. Uranium mining is big industry there for nuclear power and they offer similar contracts to those you described in the oil sands.

@alecks - if you're planning on working on pipelines, which can be very lucrative, consider TIG (GTAW) certification. But this isn't exactly 'beginner welding'. Also would focus on carbon steel to start, this will cover the majority of pipe welds unless it's very low temperature or corrosive piping and they may be using SS.

Stick (electrode) welding is where most people start learning, and is more common for structural welding than for pipes.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 08-28-2012

Quote: (08-27-2012 07:41 AM)alecks Wrote:  

wassup scotian,

There is a course i can take in regards to welding from jan 2013 to the end of april.its kind of an evening course/pre employment course showing the basics and ins-and-outs of starting welding.

"This course provides a practical introduction to three common welding processes which are used in industry Structure Candidates may take any or all of the following Welding Processes:

Manual Metal-Arc Welding (MMA) rutile electrodes,
Metal-Arc Gas Shielded welding (MAGS) solid wire,
Tungsten Arc Gas Shielded welding (TAGS) carbon steel /stainless steel"

I have no idea about welding at all.Il have to start reading books and getting tips from my brother (he was a welder for years).Im just in it for the paper when i move out there.Would a pre-employment course like this look good on my resume for a company/contractor? Would may/june 2013 be a good time to move out still? Thanks a lot man

Welding is good trade that is very much in high demand in the oil sands and is also one of the most high paying if you go the self contracting route (it'll take a few years to get to that level). Journeyman welders with their B-pressure ticket who own their own welding trucks make over $1000/day.

That course will be a good introduction to welding basics and you'll likely find an entry-level welding position afterwards and be on your way to an apprenticeship, the spring is a very busy time of year in the oil industry in Alberta.

Also, welders work everywhere in the world, its not an oil industry specific trade, if you ever wanted to leave Alberta, you could always find a job in a fabrication shop somewhere or in commercial construction, nuclear, ship building, aviation, etc. Also, just because you start out as a welder, doesn't mean you'll be one forever, you could go onto be a foreman, manager, QC inspector, safety, etc.

I say go for it!

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Hairyballs - 08-29-2012

I'm european and I called a company last year that provides Roughneck (roustabout) training courses (4 weeks) in Alberta, they said because i'm European I can do the training but I will not be able to find a job because i'm not Canadian.

Non-canadians need a permanent residency, which is very hard to get she said.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Atlantic - 08-29-2012

Hi Everyone.

I haven't been on here in a while but that's only cause I have been working my ass off all summer in a place with no internet access. 60 Hour weeks with 9 days off all summer! I have my visa sorted, my flights booked in Calgary for the 2nd week of sept and just got my travel insurance a few minutes ago. Tomorrow I am updating my resume, Cover letter and references.

Plan is to sort out my Social Insurance Number, Health Care and open a bank account in Calgary then head up to Edmonton.

Once there do the HS2 Alive course, First Aid and PSTCST Courses (should I do all of these Scotian?).

While doing those I plan on staying at a cheap hostel ( any suggestions anyone?) and keeping a low profile. I am off drink and drugs till Christmas at least as I have one shot at this and want to stay sharp. Plus I am rolling solo in a country I have never been in before.

While doing the course I am going to be hitting everyone and every company possible about jobs. My resume will look real good as I do have a nice bit of experience, a Engineering Management Degree and have done well in interviews in the pass.

I am looking for camp work as I guess its the best way to get working fast while not having to rent an apt and buy a car ( am I right Scotian?)
I am not too fussy about it having to be some Degree level job straight away as I just want to keep my savings high.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this forum and especially Scotian. I am a little nervous but am definitely looking forward to work in the Oil Fields!!!!

If anyone is around up there or has some contacts please PM me as I would hugely appreciate it.

Thanks everyone and wish me luck!!!![Image: banana.gif][Image: banana.gif][Image: banana.gif]

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 08-29-2012

Quote: (08-29-2012 02:18 AM)Hairyballs Wrote:  

I'm european and I called a company last year that provides Roughneck (roustabout) training courses (4 weeks) in Alberta, they said because i'm European I can do the training but I will not be able to find a job because i'm not Canadian.

Non-canadians need a permanent residency, which is very hard to get she said.

Not true, at all.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 08-29-2012

Quote: (08-29-2012 06:04 AM)Irishman Wrote:  

Hi Everyone.

I haven't been on here in a while but that's only cause I have been working my ass off all summer in a place with no internet access. 60 Hour weeks with 9 days off all summer! I have my visa sorted, my flights booked in Calgary for the 2nd week of sept and just got my travel insurance a few minutes ago. Tomorrow I am updating my resume, Cover letter and references.

Plan is to sort out my Social Insurance Number, Health Care and open a bank account in Calgary then head up to Edmonton.

Once there do the HS2 Alive course, First Aid and PSTCST Courses (should I do all of these Scotian?).

While doing those I plan on staying at a cheap hostel ( any suggestions anyone?) and keeping a low profile. I am off drink and drugs till Christmas at least as I have one shot at this and want to stay sharp. Plus I am rolling solo in a country I have never been in before.

While doing the course I am going to be hitting everyone and every company possible about jobs. My resume will look real good as I do have a nice bit of experience, a Engineering Management Degree and have done well in interviews in the pass.

I am looking for camp work as I guess its the best way to get working fast while not having to rent an apt and buy a car ( am I right Scotian?)
I am not too fussy about it having to be some Degree level job straight away as I just want to keep my savings high.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this forum and especially Scotian. I am a little nervous but am definitely looking forward to work in the Oil Fields!!!!

If anyone is around up there or has some contacts please PM me as I would hugely appreciate it.

Thanks everyone and wish me luck!!!![Image: banana.gif][Image: banana.gif][Image: banana.gif]

Glad to hear you're making the move Irishman, you'll be the first RVF member from outside of Canada to move to Alberta and work in the oil biz. I know of three other Canadian guys who've made the move and as far as I know, they're all currently working.

September is a very busy time in Alberta and I"m confident you'll find a job quickly, hopefully you have enough cash in the bank to allow yourself some time to shop around for a job with a company that suits you best.

One thing though, why are you going to Calgary first then Edmonton, because of the flights? If you're planning on going to Edmonton, why not just go there right away and take care of all your admin stuff there and safety courses? You can take a bus (Greyhound or Red Arrow), its a 3 hour drive north to E-town.

Of course, there's plenty of work in Calgary too and fly in/out positions available from there, so you could just stay there, actually I prefer Calgary to Edmonton, much nicer city.

Whichever city you choose to stay in, you're plan will be the same:

-land at airport and take a shuttle or taxi to the Hosteling International hostel (http://www.hihostels.com), check in for a few days or a week while you take care of your banking and other things. The HI hostel in Edmonton is located a block away from the main party spot in E-town, Whyte Ave, the one in Calgary is very close to downtown, in East Village (a bit sketchy at night!) Dorm rooms are about $30/night.

-Buy a weekly transit pass that will allow you to get on buses and the LRT (Light Rail Transit), both cities have one. Neither city is great for transit and there aren't many bus options going to the industrial areas, it'll take awhile to get around to hand out CVs but it can be done, I did it.

-Find a training centre close to the LRT lines or bus stops and do your H2S and CSTS as a minimum, first-aid is nice to have but not essential.

-I'd recommend finding a room in a house for rent, should be able to get one for around $400-600, again, being close to transit is ideal. Check http://www.kijiji.ca and craigslist.

-Apply for jobs: look up all the companies I posted throughout this forum, check the Service Canada Job Bank (http://www.jobbank.gc.ca), check listings in the local papers, online job companies (Monster.ca, workopolis, etc), also check in with temp agencies (randstadt, manpower, diversified Staffing, etc).

I recommend giving yourself about 2-3 weeks to get all of this done and get to know whichever city (Calgary or Edmonton) you decide to stay in. Also, try to meet some women because if you're working away on a fly in/out rotation, it'll be nice to have some friends to go out with on your days off.

Also, NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK! Wherever you go in Alberta, people are generally friendly and will try to help you out if they can. I'm not encouraging you to spend all of your time in bars, but a lot tradesmen and business owners hang out in bars and restaurants after work and will likely take your CV and pass it along to hiring managers. In Calgary, check out 8 ave and 17th after 4pm, in Edmonton it'll be the bars and pubs on Jasper and Whyte.

I'm currently travelling but will be back in Edmonton Septmeber 13th for a couple of days before heading back up to Fort McMurray.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - pitt - 08-30-2012

Irishman glad you are still making the move, im sure everything will work out well for you.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Ecksie - 08-30-2012

Scotian has given some really good advice here. I'll try to include a few things specific to international travelers.

-Get a social insurance and Alberta health insurance as soon as you arrive.

-work on getting a license or government issue photo ID next.

-Telus, Bell, and Rogers are the main cell phone providers. Get set up with a cell phone ASAP as you'll need one to network and Internet access. Before getting a cellphone, you'll need a Canadian ID. A cell phone with gps is a huge help for finding your way around the city. The last thing you'll want is to roam aimlessly..lost in a foreign city all day or night.

-A lot of guys lock into looking for work with drilling companies and completely overlook the trades. Start out as a laborer in construction. My company is currently paying $23+ for unskilled labour in town and has trouble staffing.

-don't forget to check LinkedIn and Facebook for job postings. A lot of good companies are really pushing their social media ads.

-since you'll likely be on a budget and need to work efficiently, you'll need to be hitting the pavement by 8am.

-it's a landlords market...and some of them are hesitant to rent to foreigners. You may have to rent month to month for a bit.

-once you land a suitable job, keep looking to improve while settling in.

I think this is listed somewhere but I'll toss a few company names out:

Oil & energy companies: Imperial Oil, Esso, MEG energy, suncor, syncrude, CNRL, Husky, nexen, Encana, harvest, peyto, Crew, Vermilion...I'm sure there's a lot more.

Construction: Thompson, NACG, kiewit, aecon, graham, voice, KBR, Bantrel, PCL, CEDA, Wilco, Pyramid, Pacer, Ledcor, Lafarge, Alberco, Hazco, Fluor, CPI, EnviroPro, A&H steel, Flint

Drilling and servicing: nabors, calmena, Trinidad, champion drilling, Halliburton, schlumberger

That's only a fraction of companies. By the time you get through those, I'm sure you'll have multiple options.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 08-31-2012

Quote: (08-30-2012 11:59 PM)Ecksie Wrote:  

Scotian has given some really good advice here. I'll try to include a few things specific to international travelers.

-Get a social insurance and Alberta health insurance as soon as you arrive.

-work on getting a license or government issue photo ID next.

-Telus, Bell, and Rogers are the main cell phone providers. Get set up with a cell phone ASAP as you'll need one to network and Internet access. Before getting a cellphone, you'll need a Canadian ID. A cell phone with gps is a huge help for finding your way around the city. The last thing you'll want is to roam aimlessly..lost in a foreign city all day or night.

-A lot of guys lock into looking for work with drilling companies and completely overlook the trades. Start out as a laborer in construction. My company is currently paying $23+ for unskilled labour in town and has trouble staffing.

-don't forget to check LinkedIn and Facebook for job postings. A lot of good companies are really pushing their social media ads.

-since you'll likely be on a budget and need to work efficiently, you'll need to be hitting the pavement by 8am.

-it's a landlords market...and some of them are hesitant to rent to foreigners. You may have to rent month to month for a bit.

-once you land a suitable job, keep looking to improve while settling in.

I think this is listed somewhere but I'll toss a few company names out:

Oil & energy companies: Imperial Oil, Esso, MEG energy, suncor, syncrude, CNRL, Husky, nexen, Encana, harvest, peyto, Crew, Vermilion...I'm sure there's a lot more.

Construction: Thompson, NACG, kiewit, aecon, graham, voice, KBR, Bantrel, PCL, CEDA, Wilco, Pyramid, Pacer, Ledcor, Lafarge, Alberco, Hazco, Fluor, CPI, EnviroPro, A&H steel, Flint

Drilling and servicing: nabors, calmena, Trinidad, champion drilling, Halliburton, schlumberger

That's only a fraction of companies. By the time you get through those, I'm sure you'll have multiple options.

Awesome advice Ecksie, guys he speaks 100% truth in that post, I've worked for most of the sites and companies that he just listed as a sub-contractor. Those are some of the biggest players in the oil sands and all over western Canada (some of them international), like Ecksie said, if you are "on the ground" in Alberta with all of your admin stuff sorted out, you'd likely land a job by firing off CVs to all those mentioned companies.

Also, as Ecksie mentioned, some guys go straight to the drilling rigs and don't consider the trades. This is solid advice and as you can read throughout this thread, I've always said that the trades are the way to go if you're considering a long term career, especially in the oil sands.

There are some drilling rigs in the oil sands, on the SAGD sites (which will make up about 85% of all oil sands operations in the next 15 years or so) but the bulk of the work, especially during the construction phases, is in the trades. We're talking about literally tens of thousands of positions if all of these projects are built over the next 10-20 years as currently planned.

Ecksie, are you in E-town? We should meet up for a beer some time

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - metalhaze - 08-31-2012

Excellent advice! however, what if someone wants to find a high paying career in an office environnement in alberta with a Business degree. are there are high salaries in office type jobs that are not trade related? I current work in internal audit and controls.
thanks

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - catalyst - 09-01-2012

Scotian, a big thank you for creating this thread. The advice you have listed has been golden and I am sure many of us will benefit from a lifestyle that is vastly different from what we are acclimatized to.

I am a Asian international student in my mid/late 20s currently living in N.S, finishing a degree in the humanities by May 2013. Once I graduate, I should have a 3 year work permit. I have stayed previously in B.C and have been living in Canada for 5 to 6 years since finishing adult High School here. I have no ambition of being an academia or taking any advance degree and will likely make the move to Calgary or Edmonton. Since my career prospect with my degree is somewhat dim, I am thinking of pursuing a career in the trades, with a focus on maintenance. I was conscripted when I was in my early 20s, so living in a work camp is not a big deal for me. I do relish the prospect of having some financial freedom.

I have some questions that I hope you might advice me on.

1. I am under the impression that most employers in Fort Mac are more likely to hire non-Canadians with a valid work permit? Is there a huge discrepancy pertaining to wages between Canadians and non-Canadians? Do non-Canadians face significant hurdle?

2. I looked at the trade schools, in particular, NAIT and SAIT. I came across pre-employment courses and pre-apprentice courses. Are the 2 significantly different? You mentioned yourself taking a course earlier in the thread. Did it help to differentiate you from other job candidates?

Appreciate it!

If you're ever back in Halifax or the Valley for a visit, give me a shout. Booze is on me!

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - 23Billion - 09-01-2012

Hey Scotian man, and everybody else, thanks a lot for this information. I have read this thread page by page. I have also read a few other threads, very interesting stuff. I then wanted to register and found out had to wait till the first of every month lol. So here I am.

Scotian are you from Inverness by any chance lol?

Another stupid question Scotian, I remember you mentioned about not going to Alberta without having some sort of a skill. But what about a guy like me? Well, I have no skills as in formal training. I have a high school diploma from Toronto and have my full G license, which I think is equivalent to Class 5 Alberta driver's license. I do have experience working odd jobs and manual labour.

Man things are SO bad in Toronto, I applied for a job at a Tim Horton's and gave them full 7 days, 24 hr availability and they didn't even call me for an interview. This blows man!

I was searching online about moving to Alberta for jobs and came across this website. I just did not want to go there without knowing anything.

I have packed up my stuff and now just trying to save up some money. I will definitely move out West, that is for sure.

I went to Ryerson University here in Toronto for engineering and went on probation the first year and then I dropped out. I want to be my own boss and getting into the trades looks like the way to go. I always imagined myself driving around in a 4x4 4-door pick up truck! But right now I just need to make some good money and pay off some debts, and then invest the money I earn into learning a trade. I have to pay off the $12000 student debt that I wasted by failing at Ryerson U.

I also have the same question as catalyst.

Quote: (08-31-2012 12:42 AM)catalyst Wrote:  

2. I looked at the trade schools, in particular, NAIT and SAIT. I came across pre-employment courses and pre-apprentice courses. Are the 2 significantly different? You mentioned yourself taking a course earlier in the thread. Did it help to differentiate you from other job candidates?

Keep the information coming Scotian, and everybody else. This stuff is mind blowing. I've browsed the whole internet and did not come across anything like this. I just hope that I can land a job that pays good, anything 23+/hr would be awesome!

[Image: banana.gif]

Quote: (08-31-2012 12:42 AM)scotian Wrote:  

Awesome advice Ecksie, guys he speaks 100% truth in that post, I've worked for most of the sites and companies that he just listed as a sub-contractor. Those are some of the biggest players in the oil sands and all over western Canada (some of them international), like Ecksie said, if you are "on the ground" in Alberta with all of your admin stuff sorted out, you'd likely land a job by firing off CVs to all those mentioned companies.

Also, as Ecksie mentioned, some guys go straight to the drilling rigs and don't consider the trades. This is solid advice and as you can read throughout this thread, I've always said that the trades are the way to go if you're considering a long term career, especially in the oil sands.

There are some drilling rigs in the oil sands, on the SAGD sites (which will make up about 85% of all oil sands operations in the next 15 years or so) but the bulk of the work, especially during the construction phases, is in the trades. We're talking about literally tens of thousands of positions if all of these projects are built over the next 10-20 years as currently planned.

Ecksie, are you in E-town? We should meet up for a beer some time

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Nima - 09-01-2012

Quote: (09-01-2012 12:09 AM)catalyst Wrote:  

Scotian, a big thank you for creating this thread. The advice you have listed has been golden and I am sure many of us will benefit from a lifestyle that is vastly different from what we are acclimatized to.

I am a Asian international student in my mid/late 20s currently living in N.S, finishing a degree in the humanities by May 2013. Once I graduate, I should have a 3 year work permit. I have stayed previously in B.C and have been living in Canada for 5 to 6 years since finishing adult High School here. I have no ambition of being an academia or taking any advance degree and will likely make the move to Calgary or Edmonton. Since my career prospect with my degree is somewhat dim, I am thinking of pursuing a career in the trades, with a focus on maintenance. I was conscripted when I was in my early 20s, so living in a work camp is not a big deal for me. I do relish the prospect of having some financial freedom.

I have some questions that I hope you might advice me on.

1. I am under the impression that most employers in Fort Mac are more likely to hire non-Canadians with a valid work permit? Is there a huge discrepancy pertaining to wages between Canadians and non-Canadians? Do non-Canadians face significant hurdle?

Appreciate it!

If you're ever back in Halifax or the Valley for a visit, give me a shout. Booze is on me!

I'm thinking about taking a pre-employment course as well. You asked a lot of good questions, I'll wait till Scotian gets back to you to ask more specific questions.

@ Scotian, is it okay if I send you a PM to ask some personal questions about your own trade/job?

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - BadWolf - 09-01-2012

Hey there guys, I'm an English Teacher in China... I'm looking at coming home in the next few years to have a kid (get him Canadian citizenship). My parents have a nice house in a town near Toronto and my wife will be living out there with them. I'd like to work in the oil fields as an apprentice. I decided, I would come home and take some apprenticeship training at a private career college in either Toronto or Kitchener. Any idea if they would be willing to take on a Heavy Equipment Mechanic or an Auto Mechanic or Electrician or whatever. I'm willing to put in massive overtime. I was also born and raised in Canada so getting hired isn't a problem... Also have an AZ license, but not really a fan of the long haul job. Took a MIG welding course a few years ago but couldn't find work that paid more than I'm making now in China. Would only be looking for skilled jobs, worked in the factory at home waaay too long, that sucked.

If you have any advice or thoughts, I'd really appreciate it!

PM and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Zeus - 09-01-2012

BADWOLF.

A heavy duty mechanic is a well sought after career. Pretty badass. When you're licensed you will have the ability to take apart and put back together basically anything mechanical. Mechanics is the trade of trades. It involves physics, hydrolics, pnumatics, combustion, machining, welding... I could go on.

You get to work on the biggest machines in the world and could make serious paper.

But!

Do you want to hold your child in 5 years? It will ruin your body. Just google heavy duty mechanic body or some variation. They last 10 years. 30 year olds complain of having trouble tieing their boots in the morning. Now, i will bet everything these guys once thought that they were invincible as 20 year olds first getting in the trade and did not take care of themselves.

You can definitely have a long career out of it, you just must be absolutely diligent about maintaining your health. That means sleep (most important) hitting the gym and staying strong. And that also means taking care of the little muscles. Like the 4 tiny ones in your shoulder. These are the ones that cause shoulder dislocations and surgeries. (just as an example) recognising when your hurt and taking care of it immediately.

I want to be a HDM but i already have shoulder issues.

Just my opinion.

Auto mechanic. Not as 'tough' as an HDM but you can still get easily injured. But its stilk a very rewarding career.

The other trades will all have their physical limitations. Perhaps others could chime in.

Z

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - uncle - 09-01-2012

about those working camps, how does one get into those? is it something that companies offer you right away if you get the job or do you have to apply to live there?

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - ?Kick - 09-01-2012

Hey guys,

I moved out to Edmonton in April, after reading scotian's post. I think I'm finally settled in. No longer jumping from month to month sublets. I found a good gig that will lead to a promising career.

If anyone wants to meet up or get some info, feel free to pm me and I'll try my best to help!

Also, the breakup season is starting!! A lot of companies are on a hiring spree. My friend just got a gig with Nabors drilling, starting pay for a labourer is $28 per hour. For an entry level gig, its not too shabby. Most of the major players in the oil sands have been listed throughout this thread, hit em all up. However, like scotian and others have said, if you're looking to build a career or stay in Alberta long term, trades are the way to go!

Best of luck

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 09-02-2012

metalhaze, catalyst, 23Billion, Nima, BadWolf and uncle: All of your questions have been answered throughout this thread, I know its getting long now, but its there. Anyway I'll try to answer some of the specifics;

-metalhaze; yes there's plenty of admin type jobs and I'm sure with your education and experience you'd get one easily. You could have a nice job in down town Calgary or Edmonton, or you could have a high paying gig in Fort Mac or in the camps. Basically these remote oil sands sites are huge with lots of people on site (5-10k), there are plenty of office/admin staff working on site, fly in/out gigs. Wages in Calgary and Edmonton are obviously less than up north but I can guarantee they're higher than Montreal, and less taxes.

-Catalyst; unfortunately your BA won't get you too far in Alberta, mine didn't for me anyway. Your biggest issue will be getting the visa/paper work filled out. Whether you're a landed immigrant or are here as a TFW, the employers won't care too much, as long as you have a pulse and can pass a piss test, you're good to go. I work with tons of Asians, many "fresh of the boat" and other immigrants, many who have questionable English skills, but they're working, so I'm sure you can too. Since you've already lived in Canada and have "Canadian experience", you're a head above the rest.

Everyone, by law, is paid the same, whether Canadian born or not, although there are companies who prefer foreigners and east coast Canadians because they can pay them less and get away with it.

Any pre-employment course, as long as its a trade thats relevant to the oil biz is all good, I recommend taking them IN ALBERTA.

23Billion: ya things are tough out east, we're seeing lots of upper Canadians (that's what we call you people from Ontario) out here.....just show up man, if you've been applying to Timmy's, trust me you'll find something a lot better out here.

Nima: Pm if you want

badwolf: I'm leery of "private colleges", and recommend taking any courses in Alberta, if you insist, make sure whatever course you take is accepted by potential employers in Alberta, make some cold calls. I know a lot of those strip mall colleges charge $10K+ for courses that, although relevant, aren't necessary to find entry level work in Alberta.

Uncle: Depends on the company, some have in town (Calgary, Edmonton, Fort Mac) work and will put you there. while others will put you directly to camp, depends on the company and whatever contracts they have at the moment. Call around and ask, apply to companies listed in this thread.

Guys, if you're considering moving out, its not that complicated. Honestly the hardest decision you'll make is figuring out what you actually want to do, there's so many options. You have all the info you need in this thread to make it happen, all you have to do is take the chance and move out.

Just look at Kick, he took the chance and is doing very well, trust me, he's working for a company I worked at for over 2 years, he's well on his way to making 6 figures in 6 months!

Kick, I'll be back in Canada on Tuesday and back in Etown Sept 13, I'll give you a shout, lets meet up on Whyte again!

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - uncle - 09-02-2012

Quote: (09-02-2012 06:23 AM)scotian Wrote:  

Uncle: Depends on the company, some have in town (Calgary, Edmonton, Fort Mac) work and will put you there. while others will put you directly to camp, depends on the company and whatever contracts they have at the moment. Call around and ask, apply to companies listed in this thread.

thanx, man!

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Nima - 09-02-2012

Scotian, I hope you know what you're doing for a lot of people by providing all this help and information. This information is life changing, or at least it's been for me and I haven't even made the move yet. I have a diploma in business management and was thinking about continuing my education (2 more terms) to get my BBA, knowing full well that it would be completely useless. A month ago I was depressed and didn't know wtf to do. I had found a shit office job and the thought of having to work there for the better part of the next two years made me shiver (for VERY LITTLE pay too). And then I found this thread! Been on a permanent high ever since. I'm actually looking forward to the harsh environment and getting out of my comfort zone. The pay is a huge bonus.

So thank you and know that you're doing a lot of good.