Roosh V Forum
The Philippines thread - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Travel (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: The Philippines thread (/thread-34766.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

The Philippines thread - tattiemasher - 07-04-2014

To anyone who was following the local beers/spirits part of the conversation, I've come across the following so far:

Beers - San Miguel Premium, San Miguel Light, San Miguel Super Dry, Cerveza Negro, Manila Light, Red Horse, Red Stallion, San Miguel Apple and San Miguel Lemon.

Spirits - Emperador, Emperador Premium and Funtador.

Best beer was tied between Cerveza Negro, Red Stallion and San Miguel Super Dry. Best spirit was Emperador Premium. Funtador wasn't much fun.

Still on the lookout for Gold Eagle beer.

The Philippines thread - mrnomer14 - 07-07-2014

Thanks for your advice all. I'll take the expedia route [Image: wink.gif]

The Philippines thread - mrnomer14 - 07-07-2014

Just as an aside - I've heard that 'no facial hair' is a general preference among SE Asian women. Would I be better off posting pics clean shaven for online dating purposes in the Phils?

The Philippines thread - Kaebs - 07-07-2014

Nt 2 sure about tht, but it couldn't hurt 2 do it haha

The Philippines thread - DirectDanger - 07-08-2014

UBER is now cheaper than taking a taxi in Manila. At least until the end of this month while this promo is going.

Had a cool looking mini cooper pick me up the other day.

https://blog.uber.com/rainydaysmnl
Quote:Quote:

RAINY DAYS PROMOTION – 40% OFF ON ALL RIDES

Uber was founded with two ambitious goals in mind: transform people’s lives and make cities better. Four years in, we couldn’t be more excited.

When we landed in Southeast Asia just 18 months ago, Singapore was our first and only city in the region. Today, we’re also serving riders in Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok and Manila, with many more cities on the horizon.

Uber’s riders love our reliability, outstanding service, cashless convenience and many safety features. And let’s not forget, it feels great to pick up a business colleague or a loved one in a spotless, black sedan with a polished and professional driver at the wheel.

How are we making cities better? By making transport incredibly reliable and affordable, we’re convincing people to give up driving altogether and use Uber instead. That means less road congestion and less traffic – we can all get behind that!

Today, we’re excited to announce rainy days promotional pricing for UberBlack in Manila, Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur. For a limited time, we invite you to pamper yourself in a luxury, chauffeured UberBLACK sedan at a 40% price cut.

This rainy season, Uber will take you to the most amazing places, and now even more affordably.

Uber On,

Mike Brown
Regional General Manager

ESTIMATED FARES (PHP)UBER BLACK PRICERAINY DAYS PROMOTION PRICE*
Fort BGC – Makati175105
Fort BGC - Ortigas250150
Makati – Ortigas260155
Makati – Greenhils330200
* Promotional prices are effective until July 31st 2014. NO PROMO CODE necessary. 40% is an approximate discount percentage.

The Philippines thread - mrnomer14 - 07-08-2014

SWEET. Hope its still the bomb in October

The Philippines thread - Cr33pin - 07-08-2014

Quote: (07-07-2014 08:53 PM)mrnomer14 Wrote:  

Just as an aside - I've heard that 'no facial hair' is a general preference among SE Asian women. Would I be better off posting pics clean shaven for online dating purposes in the Phils?

I had some girls tell me I should shave my goatee when I was in the Phils. They think its dirty or lower class for men to have facial hair, well some of them at least. I don't think its a deal breaker as long as you are bringing other stuff to the table.

The Chinese girls and guys thought the opposite. They LOVE facial hair, Chinese guys can't grow it so its seen as something rare and magnificent in China ah.

The Philippines thread - Global Entry - 07-09-2014

In my experience, Chinese are split on the issue. Some girls like it and some girls really don't. I've had girls say that bearded men are bad men , no conditions there. A goatee is less offensive to their sensibilities, but its not 100 percent approval rating to be sure.

Quote: (07-08-2014 08:16 AM)Cr33pin Wrote:  

Quote: (07-07-2014 08:53 PM)mrnomer14 Wrote:  

I had some girls tell me I should shave my goatee when I was in the Phils. They think its dirty or lower class for men to have facial hair, well some of them at least. I don't think its a deal breaker as long as you are bringing other stuff to the table.

The Chinese girls and guys thought the opposite. They LOVE facial hair, Chinese guys can't grow it so its seen as something rare and magnificent in China ah.

The Philippines thread - nick_ - 07-10-2014

Going again [Image: smile.gif] Just got a ticket from Sydney to Manila direct for about $125 US , check ozbargin if your interested

The Philippines thread - rcraig33hb - 07-10-2014

Quote: (07-10-2014 06:35 AM)nick_ Wrote:  

Going again [Image: smile.gif] Just got a ticket from Sydney to Manila direct for about $125 US , check ozbargin if your interested

That's a really good deal bro!

The Philippines thread - Kaebs - 07-10-2014

Is $125 US for round trip or just 1 way?

The Philippines thread - Paul B - 07-10-2014

According to ozbargain, it's $143 USD on Cebu Pacific but when I try booking, it shows up as $300ish. Is there a trick to this? Do I need to use an Australian IP?

The Philippines thread - Kaebs - 07-10-2014

Yup I think its either a round trip ticket or its going by Manila for sum reason

The Philippines thread - w00t - 07-10-2014

can you guys shed some light on the housing situation in cebu?
ive been checking some websites and it all seems pretty expensive compared to thailand

in chiang mai and even bangkok you could get a nice, furnished place for $300 or even less
for that price all I see is shitty ratholes in cebu

anyone got some good sites, recommendations or info? seems apartments are a good deal more expensive there.

The Philippines thread - Brodiaga - 07-10-2014

^^ I was going to ask the same question about Cebu, particularly short term apartments, like for a couple of weeks.

The Philippines thread - DirectDanger - 07-10-2014

The short term rental market is no where near the size and quality of Bangkok or Chaing Mai.
Expect to pay more for less quality in the Philippines in comparison with Thailand.

$300 a month is not going to get you much... even in Cebu.

The Philippines thread - Onto - 07-10-2014

DD: Did you get your security deposit back on your place in Manilla?

The Philippines thread - DirectDanger - 07-10-2014

I still live in the same condo so have not tried to get it back yet. I have a good relationship with the owner of my condo and would expect there is a 85%+ chance I get it back with out much problem.

Quote: (07-10-2014 09:07 PM)Onto Wrote:  

The Philippines thread - Onto - 07-10-2014

Quote: (07-10-2014 09:29 PM)DirectDanger Wrote:  

I still live in the same condo so have not tried to get it back yet. I have a good relationship with the owner of my condo and would expect there is a 85%+ chance I get it back with out much problem.

Quote: (07-10-2014 09:07 PM)Onto Wrote:  

I was reading about the Phil on another retirement forum that it's kind of expected the tenant will just use their deposit towards their final 2-3 months rent and if they don't the landlord will keep it, but this was in reference to rentals in 2nd or 3rd tier cities, not high end places in Manilla, so it may not apply at all.

I'll be arriving in Manila at the beginning of September and am reading up on yours and others experiences in securing a nice place. Thanks again for all your great info, and hopefully there will be a meetup during my trip so I can buy you a beer.

The Philippines thread - Vacancier Permanent - 07-10-2014

Was wondering the same.
How is the market/availability in MNL? From talking to Pinoys here, they are saying to get a decent to good condo in Makati, you are looking at 800-1/month. Can you guys on the ground confirm/comment of that?

Quote: (07-10-2014 05:37 PM)w00t Wrote:  

can you guys shed some light on the housing situation in cebu?
ive been checking some websites and it all seems pretty expensive compared to thailand

in chiang mai and even bangkok you could get a nice, furnished place for $300 or even less
for that price all I see is shitty ratholes in cebu

anyone got some good sites, recommendations or info? seems apartments are a good deal more expensive there.

The Philippines thread - Global Entry - 07-11-2014

VP I think thats an accurate assessment, though its somewhat location dependent. Closer to Greenbelt and Ayala = more expensive, and more desirable from a quality of life, closeness to the Fort, and game perspective. You could probably squeeze that number a bit by moving further north or west from the prime Makati areas. 1000 seems a reasonable budget for a doorman building with health club and a pool. Of course, it depends on how long you commit for as well. You also should be able to get a housecleaner a few times per week thrown in for these prices, as the labor is basically free in Manila relative to these costs.

The Philippines thread - mrnomer14 - 07-11-2014

I got a sweet studio at the tallest building in the Phils - Gramercy - for 1000 AUD for a month. 39th floor - very sweet

The Philippines thread - w00t - 07-11-2014

ok thats unfortunate
sounds the philippines are not exactly the best spot to keep your costs low and work on your online income

too bad

The Philippines thread - Bill - 07-11-2014

I heard good things about Dumaguete. The rent prices are lower than cebu as it´s smaller. Do some guys here know something about the area?

The Philippines thread - Jasper - 07-11-2014

Quote: (07-11-2014 02:04 AM)Bill Wrote:  

I heard good things about Dumaguete. The rent prices are lower than cebu as it´s smaller. Do some guys here know something about the area?

When I was in Dumaguete I was chatting to a local girl about the prices of renting there. I can't remember the figures but it was far cheaper than Cebu/Manila or the big cities as you would imagine.

Depends what you want really. It's much smaller and calmer there. Most of the foreigners I saw there were much older than me and probably a lot were retired. For me it was cool to kick it there for a while but I would probably get bored as hell if I was there long term. Saying that, airport is close and cheap flights domestic flights are available...

For anyone who wants to check out prices for rent (or anything really) in Philippines cities check this site out. Credit to VP!