Roosh V Forum
Lifter's Lounge - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+---- Forum: Fitness (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-6.html)
+---- Thread: Lifter's Lounge (/thread-38933.html)

Lifter's Lounge - Beyond Borders - 11-11-2014

Quote: (11-10-2014 03:15 PM)Cr33pin Wrote:  

I don't want to take weigh off every set.

Why not?

Even moving your weights around in the gym gives you exercise. I like to think it activates stabilizer muscles since you're shifting the weights at different angles, as opposed to the repeated motion of your actual lift. This is the type of muscle that gets built when you're doing labor, moving shit around, etc. Real manly shit instead of just gym muscles.

Think of your workout not just as a routine but as an opportunity to fight against laziness. Embrace moving around the gym. Let it become an act of meditation.

Besides, it's not like you'll have to do it forever. Eventually, you'll get stronger and build more muscular endurance - then your sets will be more consistent.

The other tips given are good too. Go easier on your first set and you'll have more gas for the others.

If it's just an ego thing that makes you not want to take weight off, let that go. The point of being there isn't to prove or pretend how strong you are - it's to actually become stronger. The way to do that without hurting yourself in the long run is to lift what your body can manage and keep practicing your movements. Don't rush your progress. Own where you're at and work from that place first.

Lifter's Lounge - Beyond Borders - 11-14-2014

I don't want to spam the forum with this offer, but it occurred to me there are a lot of guys with fitness knowledge and experience in this subforum, so I figured I might as well post this here too. Looking for some help on some freelance writing projects. Preferably someone that's both a solid writer and has a good grasp on the fitness world. See here: http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-26887-...#pid879462

Lifter's Lounge - AntiTrace - 11-14-2014

about to head out to the gym for first workout in about three weeks since my injury [Image: banana.gif]

Lifter's Lounge - redbeard - 11-15-2014

This past week, not only did I have a lot of work to do on the computer, but I also hurt my wrist of my shooting hand. I can't play basketball or lift (much).

It's also fucking freezing out. How did I fight this?

Jumping jacks.

While at my desk...every 15 minutes or so....I bust out 50-100 jumping jacks. Repeat. This plus IF has kept me feeling great without my usual workout routine.

Lifter's Lounge - Beyond Borders - 11-16-2014

^ Jumping jacks are an awesome workout. I'm currently in a barebones Cambodian gym that doesn't even have cardio equipment, and I use them for warm ups before lifting, and then slow ones after my workout to warm down. They're awesome as a workout just on their own though. Killer calorie-burner, I've read.

I always make sure to stay on the balls of my feet. Easier on the joints and it really works your calves.

Lifter's Lounge - Yeti - 11-16-2014

How much is everyone paying for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu lessons?

If I have two 1-hour lessons per week, how much should I reasonably expect to pay? I am in a large city in the U.S. It's a reputable school with esteemed trainers.

Lifter's Lounge - Chaos - 11-17-2014

So, last Friday was my squat day again. I got somelower back pain from the week before so I lifted very lighty, I checked my posture and I dare to say the "buttwink " is not the problem.

However, few hours later I got this uncomfortable lower back pain again, well not really painful, but I could certainly feel that something is wrong.

I had a rest over the weekend and today I was going to do some deadlifts, but the feeling in lower back was still there so I didn't want to risk anything.

So now I'm missing out squats and deadlifts. My favourites, damn it.

Anyone who knows what the problem is here?
I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Lifter's Lounge - Beyond Borders - 11-17-2014

Quote: (11-17-2014 12:46 AM)Chaos Wrote:  

So, last Friday was my squat day again. I got somelower back pain from the week before so I lifted very lighty, I checked my posture and I dare to say the "buttwink " is not the problem.

However, few hours later I got this uncomfortable lower back pain again, well not really painful, but I could certainly feel that something is wrong.

I had a rest over the weekend and today I was going to do some deadlifts, but the feeling in lower back was still there so I didn't want to risk anything.

So now I'm missing out squats and deadlifts. My favourites, damn it.

Anyone who knows what the problem is here?
I'm obviously doing something wrong.

How about backing off the weight a little and practicing your form more?

For the deadlifts, I think bent rows are a good way to strengthen the back and practice form as well. May want to focus there for a while. Picked that idea up from an Ellito Hulse video.

Lifter's Lounge - Chaos - 11-17-2014

^ Yeah, during the last workouts I only used babyweights.

Lifter's Lounge - Beyond Borders - 11-17-2014

^ I mean for the entire workout.

Lifter's Lounge - britchard - 11-17-2014

Can someone recommend me the best exercises for biceps? I know I could do a Google search but I want to know what forum users found the best. I currently do (for biceps) pull ups, hammer curls and lateral raises.

Lifter's Lounge - Saweeep - 11-17-2014

Quote: (11-17-2014 01:28 PM)britchard Wrote:  

Can someone recommend me the best exercises for biceps? I know I could do a Google search but I want to know what forum users found the best. I currently do (for biceps) pull ups, hammer curls and lateral raises.

What are you trying to achieve?

Strength? Size?

I do the following twice per week:

4x5 barbell/EZ curl.

4x10 incline dumbell curl

4x10 incline hammer dumbell curl

3x10 preacher dumbell curl OR start with the heaviest dumbbells I can curl and do as many as I can till failure. Then replace with the next weight down. Repeat till arms are so full of blood I can't feel them.

Look in mirror [Image: smile.gif]

Lifter's Lounge - Blackwell - 11-17-2014

Heavy bent barbell rows.

Close grip chin ups (Add weight if needed)

Purchase some Fat Grips.

Cable curls.

8 rep 4 set heavy barbell curls really worked for me.

I do a lot of 'pump' sets also, just trying to force a ton of blood into the muscle. Try something like dumbbell curls with 1 rep on both arms, then 2, then 3 alternating arms and going for as long as you can with whatever weight.

Lat pulldown with the close grip handle. A personal favourite. Load it up for 8-10 and pull right into the chest, control on the way up and really focus on that mind muscle connection.

Good luck brother.

Lifter's Lounge - britchard - 11-17-2014

I'm trying to improve both really, thanks for the suggestions by the way. I already do lots of hammer curls, they are my favourite exercise.

I have done barbell curls once or twice before, I'll definitely start doing them more.

Lifter's Lounge - Cr33pin - 11-17-2014

Lateral raises aren't really a bicep workout?

Load a bar up with 10 to 20 pounds more then you can curl. (if you have a workout partner or someone willing to help you can even add a little more weight) Swing the weigh up using your body (don't bend real far back, just use the momentum to get the bar up) then slowly lower the weight for 6-8 seconds... its a game changer cause you are overloading your biceps and really getting a great eccentric stretch and tear. If you have only been working out for like a month or so I would skip this.... I would consider it more of a advanced move. You need to have good strength and stability when doing this.

Following the work out drink 3 scoops of Whey protein and call everybody bro and you will be set!

Lifter's Lounge - Saweeep - 11-17-2014

Quote: (11-17-2014 07:47 PM)Cr33pin Wrote:  

Lateral raises aren't really a bicep workout?

Load a bar up with 10 to 20 pounds more then you can curl. (if you have a workout partner or someone willing to help you can even add a little more weight) Swing the weigh up using your body (don't bend real far back, just use the momentum to get the bar up) then slowly lower the weight for 6-8 seconds... its a game changer cause you are overloading your biceps and really getting a great eccentric stretch and tear. If you have only been working out for like a month or so I would skip this.... I would consider it more of a advanced move. You need to have good strength and stability when doing this.

Following the work out drink 3 scoops of Whey protein and call everybody bro and you will be set!

I think this is too much to ask of a young (he's only 17 I think) guy who's new to training.

Also, hammer curls are great but need to be combined with regular curls.

Also don't forget, eat [Image: wink.gif]

Lifter's Lounge - britchard - 11-18-2014

Yeah, I am pretty new to it, although I know a lot of the theory from school. I included lateral raises because when I do them I seem to get a really good stretch in my biceps.

Lifter's Lounge - Raccoonpaw - 11-18-2014

Hey guys my workout regimen consist of slow-burning exercises with full body workouts. I go the gym Monday, Wednesday, and Friday's to the gym. Mondays and Fridays I Slowburn, while on Wednesday's I do full body workouts with sets.

Mondays
Leg Press 340
Shoulder Press 115
Rows 185
Back Extension 265
Curl machine 115

Wednesday
Leg Press 550lbs x 3 sets
Pull down 185 x 3 sets
Chest Press 165 x 3 sets
Shoulder Press 115 x 3 sets
Calves 140 x 3 sets
Abdominal 165 x 3 sets

Fridays
Leg Press 340
Pulldowns 185
Chest Press 165
Abdominal Machine 165
Calve Machine 140

Notice for Mondays and Fridays I don't have sets listed, it's because I do one set till failure and time it. I do really slow coming up and down. If I reached a certain time limit, let's say I slowburned 340 lbs in 1:34 minutes, I will increase the weight next week by 20-30%. I started this year leg pressing at 210, now I am at 340, slow burning of course. I notice when I do it the "regular" a lot of sets people do, its because of the momentum used.

Here's some info on the slow burn. http://www.seriousstrength.com/pdf/SLOWBURNebook.pdf

Lifter's Lounge - FretDancer - 11-20-2014

I'm tired of cooking.

From now on I am gonna cook my fish on the microwave. Tried it today and it was ready in no time, plus it tasted really good.

Lifter's Lounge - Cr33pin - 11-20-2014

Quote: (11-20-2014 12:57 AM)FretDancer Wrote:  

I'm tired of cooking.

From now on I am gonna cook my fish on the microwave. Tried it today and it was ready in no time, plus it tasted really good.

[Image: 730524.png]

Lifter's Lounge - Beyond Borders - 11-20-2014

Quote: (11-18-2014 12:41 PM)Raccoonpaw Wrote:  

Hey guys my workout regimen consist of slow-burning exercises with full body workouts. I go the gym Monday, Wednesday, and Friday's to the gym. Mondays and Fridays I Slowburn, while on Wednesday's I do full body workouts with sets.

Mondays
Leg Press 340
Shoulder Press 115
Rows 185
Back Extension 265
Curl machine 115

Wednesday
Leg Press 550lbs x 3 sets
Pull down 185 x 3 sets
Chest Press 165 x 3 sets
Shoulder Press 115 x 3 sets
Calves 140 x 3 sets
Abdominal 165 x 3 sets

Fridays
Leg Press 340
Pulldowns 185
Chest Press 165
Abdominal Machine 165
Calve Machine 140

Notice for Mondays and Fridays I don't have sets listed, it's because I do one set till failure and time it. I do really slow coming up and down. If I reached a certain time limit, let's say I slowburned 340 lbs in 1:34 minutes, I will increase the weight next week by 20-30%. I started this year leg pressing at 210, now I am at 340, slow burning of course. I notice when I do it the "regular" a lot of sets people do, its because of the momentum used.

Here's some info on the slow burn. http://www.seriousstrength.com/pdf/SLOWBURNebook.pdf

Are you only using machines?

Lifter's Lounge - Raccoonpaw - 11-20-2014

Yeah, only machines. I go by the old Arthur Jones mentality in terms of with what I am working out with. It also reduces the risk of injury.

Lifter's Lounge - ElJefe - 11-20-2014

BOOM!

Just benched 12x255lbs, then I OH-pressed 6x175lbs. BOOM!

Lifter's Lounge - FretDancer - 11-20-2014

Finally, I can lift more than my own body weight on Bench Press, Squat and Deadlift. I feel happy.

Lifter's Lounge - Chaos - 11-21-2014

I have noticed that listening to good music is not a good thing for me in the gym.
That makes me unfocused and takes my mind to somewhere else.

Much better to listen to the usual sticky soda pop dance music they are playing the gym.
Gets me semi annoyed.