Roosh V Forum
Video games - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Everything Else (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Video games (/thread-4101.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Video games - Cr33pin - 11-06-2015

Quote: (11-06-2015 02:21 PM)Troublesome Wrote:  

Stopped playing video games . 2months ago sold my ps3 and everthing decided invest more into experiences and skillful hobbies. Sharpen my inherited talents. As a kid I played video games. I was still in the tutorial stage of life. No more hints and assistance along the way have a lot more at stake. Time is the most valuable asset cannot be recuperated.

So tell me... what have you done with that extra time so far? You wake up every morning now and focus on nothing more then being productive and learning new skills from the moment you arise to the moment your head hits the pillow at night? Even though it appears I am mocking you I'm not... as I have thought of doing the same thing sometimes. However no matter how many skills and talents I wish to work on, even without video games I still end up with some down time here and there in which I am not "learning new skills, or sharping old ones." An have no problem filling that time unwinding and getting lost in a game for hour or so.

Video games - Eskhander - 11-08-2015

So I recommended Undertale. But I didn't play it for a week or two. Now I have finally beaten it. It is quite a brilliant game.

However, I did find the originally subtle moral choice system to be pedantic as hell by the end. Why does every game confuse the "Feels Good" option with the Right option? Take the Mass Effect series. I never replayed it after the ending but I can not think of a single time where taking the Paragon route produced a worse/bad result.

Video games - Andreas - 11-08-2015

Quote: (11-06-2015 09:29 PM)Cr33pin Wrote:  

Quote: (11-06-2015 02:21 PM)Troublesome Wrote:  

Stopped playing video games . 2months ago sold my ps3 and everthing decided invest more into experiences and skillful hobbies. Sharpen my inherited talents. As a kid I played video games. I was still in the tutorial stage of life. No more hints and assistance along the way have a lot more at stake. Time is the most valuable asset cannot be recuperated.

So tell me... what have you done with that extra time so far? You wake up every morning now and focus on nothing more then being productive and learning new skills from the moment you arise to the moment your head hits the pillow at night? Even though it appears I am mocking you I'm not... as I have thought of doing the same thing sometimes. However no matter how many skills and talents I wish to work on, even without video games I still end up with some down time here and there in which I am not "learning new skills, or sharping old ones." An have no problem filling that time unwinding and getting lost in a game for hour or so.

I used to think the same too when I was playing too much and I wanted to quit. Now I play but moderately.

On another note I just found a website called Habitica which helps you list your habits and tasks that you need to do for the day and every time you do/don't something you gain/lose awards/points. It's basically like a game but helps you move on with your life. So far I tried it for a week and I like what I'm seeing. It has progress graphs on each task/habit which lets you know more about your successes and fuck ups.

Quote:Quote:

After some more gameplay on NFS, I really like the concept of having this racer online. Its fun just trolling people with my tricked out s2000... they are in their lambos and I roll up on them and they think its going to be a easy race but my engine is one fleek (i think I used that right) Its also cool when you are in your race just seeing random people in tricked out cars drifting around the city and shit.

However I think there should be a option to play offline. Right now you either play online or you dont play... I dont like that at all...

That's the kind of shit that makes me flip. First they stopped with the car customisations and now this bullshit...They started doing this online gameplay thing with smartphone games as well. Fuck this shit!

Video games - malakaix - 11-08-2015

However no matter how many skills and talents I wish to work on, even without video games I still end up with some down time here and there in which I am not "learning new skills, or sharping old ones." An have no problem filling that time unwinding and getting lost in a game for hour or so.

Same.

I went though a heavy addiction of PC online-gaming when I was a teenager. I then cut it all off as I reached my early twenties and started focusing on money, women, work and travel. And now as move past my mid-twenties I'm coming back into a balance.. where I don't mind spending time in a game, as I get older I have a much better grasp on time management, I know what's important and what isn't and I can allocate my time accordingly.

Video games - kaeru - 11-08-2015

I see nothing wrong with playing video games as a hobby. It's not more or less productive than other hobbies such as listening to music, painting, etc. and some games apparently even train areas of your brain !

However I would stay away from all the games that give you the impression that you need to play more or else you will get left behind by other players. Those multiplayer games with rankings or whatever often eat a lot of your time without you realizing it and can be quite addictive.

If I were you I'd stick to solo games that you can play at your own pace.

Video games - Cr33pin - 11-09-2015

It's so close I can taste the radiation...
[Image: WnklKcO.jpg]

Video games - spokepoker - 11-09-2015

Hopefully I can run it, if not... not really sure if I want to drop cash for new hardware.

Video games - MikeS - 11-09-2015

9 hours and 42 minutes left on the Fallout 4 unlock counter. I have a first date in seven hours, I hope she's like most Bulgarian girls and refuse sex until the second or third date. I have more important things to do.

Video games - GoldHawkStar - 11-09-2015

I'm waiting til Christmas to get it, so remember to use spoiler tags if necessary. But please tell us how good it is. I plan on playing through more than once, which is something I almost never do. I'm hoping it's similar to New Vegas. Fallout 3 was boring, dull and mundane in my opinion. And too many dead ends and routes that were unclear and confusing. I couldn't get into it.

If the reviews and YouTube videos are anything to go by, it seems to be a typical Bethesda game - buggy, glitchy, visually outdated (yet another iteration of the same game engine they've used since Morrowind 13 years ago), but massive in scope and variety and a huge amount of fun.

One of the reasons I'm waiting til Christmas. Most of the game-breaking bugs should be patched up by then.

I can understand the graphics being behind. It takes them a long time to make these games. They've more than likely been working on this since before Skyrim. Like you said though, it makes up for it by being massive in both size and content. I'm hoping it's one of those games where there will still be stuff to find by Christmas that the internet hasn't found.

I've been playing Fallout 4 for an hour and a half now (food break). It's obviously way too early to make any kind of judgment call on the game, but the atmosphere once you hit the wasteland is just as magnificent as when you stepped out of the vault in Fallout 3.

Main highlights so far are much improved shooter controls (only used pistols so far) over F3 and FNV, and based some on some brief experimentation it feels like the crafting - and more extensively building - systems are going to be quite addictive. For some players at least. I think the building aspects can mostly just be ignored for those who don't care much about them.

Graphics are of course a big step up from previous Fallout games (though the general visual style is unmistakably the same) - and from Skyrim - but not at all up to par with most other high profile games on the PS4 and XBox One. But that's a Bethesda game for you.

Wait, you leave the vault? Spoiler, man.

Fallout 5: Underground

Video games - BortimusPrime - 11-09-2015

I'm kind of curious if Fallout 4 is going to fall into the same trap as the other Bethesda games: beautiful environment when you start playing, but eventually the shallow NPCs make the story kind of weak. Mainly because you can make your character any race/gender/whatever, they have to write such generalized plots that there's no character development. New Vegas did better, but I believe that was written by a different studio just using Bethesda's engine.

Obsidian Entertainment did New Vegas. They (founded by ex-Black Isle employees) have generally had a better reputation for dialogue and story than Bethesda. But Fallout 3 had a more interesting world in terms of exploration in my opinion.

One dialogue change here in Fallout 4 is that your character is fully voiced. And like Mass Effect they did it for both male and female options.

Quote: (11-09-2015 07:11 PM)MikeS Wrote:  

One dialogue change here in Fallout 4 is that your character is fully voiced. And like Mass Effect they did it for both male and female options.

Wait, so I have to pick either a male or female? How dare they assume that everyone fits into a two-gender structure. #boycottbethesda

Video games - BortimusPrime - 11-09-2015

They should let you play as Fisto the protectron sex worker from New Vegas.

Well, can't say I'm surprised that this game is going to suck up a lot of my time in the coming weeks (thankfully I'm off to Thailand for a long vacation in a few weeks). I've played five hours tonight and I've barely moved out of the tiny starting corner on the map and done practically no quests at all.

So much to explore, so much loot and crap to pick up (pretty much everything is useful in this game, as the components are used for crafting and building).

Video games - GoldHawkStar - 11-10-2015

What would you say the size of the entire area is like, if you even have the ability to see that right now? Bigger than New Vegas/3?

Video games - MikeS - 11-10-2015

Quote: (11-10-2015 12:09 PM)Goldhawkstar Wrote:  

What would you say the size of the entire area is like, if you even have the ability to see that right now? Bigger than New Vegas/3?

I haven't moved nearly far enough yet from the starting corner of the map to get a proper impression of scale.
Articles and videos I had read prior to the release suggested that it's around the size of Skyrim, but with around twice as much accessible area (30 sqm vs 15 sqm) since it's not partially covered by mountains.

It will probably seem quite small compared to The Witcher 3 (I suspect it's a fair bit smaller than the Velen area in TW3, which then additionally has more than twice that size in its other areas - but of course also a horse to get around on), but very dense with a ton of things to discover. And many more interior areas. Last night I spent around 20-30 minutes just clearing out a raider base below what I first thought was just a small above ground facility.

That's true. Skyrim was big but it seemed like 20-30% of the land was mountains that were either impossible to walk on or were possible but with limited pathways. Fallout 4 is, I take it, more flat.

Do you know if there's a way to get around faster than walking? (In GTA it's cars, in Red Dead it's horses, etc.) I kind of like the concept of relying on your own two feet to get you around. Of course I take it fast travel is probably back, but fast travel is necessary to rid the experience of repetitive travels, so I get that.

Video games - Pareto - 11-10-2015

Quote: (11-10-2015 04:40 PM)Goldhawkstar Wrote:  

That's true. Skyrim was big but it seemed like 20-30% of the land was mountains that were either impossible to walk on or were possible but with limited pathways. Fallout 4 is, I take it, more flat.

Do you know if there's a way to get around faster than walking? (In GTA it's cars, in Red Dead it's horses, etc.) I kind of like the concept of relying on your own two feet to get you around. Of course I take it fast travel is probably back, but fast travel is necessary to rid the experience of repetitive travels, so I get that.

Fast travel does make a return, but so far no way to travel faster than just walking (and sprinting).

Good. It gives you this feeling of being truly reliant on yourself.

Considering all this plus everything MikeS said... I can't wait to get my hands on this game.

Video games - MikeS - 11-10-2015

I started playing again almost three hours ago, half an hour before I was planning to eat. I forgot about eating until just now.

So many things and locations and NPCs and side quests and battles to get sidetracked by on your way to mission goals.
And the crafting and modding system for weapons, armor, meds, explosives etc. is really cool. I suspect I'll eventually end up spending more time with the settlement building system as well (just put up some basic stuff for now).

Just ran into my first lengthy bout of pretty severe framerate problems though, clearing out a large factory complex of enemies. I'm playing on PS4 but supposedly both console versions suffer some performance problems, which is a shame considering the graphics are really only decent. But again, Bethesda and wonky game engines...