Roosh V Forum
Living in Manila... - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Travel (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Living in Manila... (/thread-29738.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Living in Manila... - iknowexactly - 01-11-2014

Quote: (01-11-2014 12:46 AM)YardDog Wrote:  

BTW - even the girls I hang with her that have cars and iPhones are not cunts. They're sweet, sexy and fun to hang out with. Not bitchy at all.

Thanks for the encouragement.... paycheck comes in a few days... Japan Air Lines seems to have good prices... I'm seeing RT prices of $1100 right from nearby Sacramento Airport....I mouse closer and closer to the "Purchase" button.

ETA Mid Feb. Only two weeks for first trip. I had a Filipina girlfriend before and she was one of the nicest, funniest, and most loyal ever. I think a big underlying factor may be humility there. I speculate the idea you're a superstar seems pretty unusual there.

I may be going there long term. Just need about another 10-20k in savings.

Living in Manila... - YardDog - 01-11-2014

Quote: (01-10-2014 06:24 PM)DVY Wrote:  

Quote: (01-09-2014 10:08 PM)M-Chill Wrote:  

In my time there I honestly cant even pinpoint where the 'rich' girls socialize, but they sure as hell did not want to be seen with foreigners (or other middle class Filipinos). The rich girls probably live outside Manila in Alabang,

I am happy to be enlightened by anyone who has gamed top tier Filipina though.
As for the 40 families claim, thats a stretch.

I wish it were, but it's not a stretch. It's the reality here. Read this for the study and to give you a good overview of just how concentrated the wealth is here: http://business.inquirer.net/110413/phil...new-wealth

It's actually higher than 70%, it's 76%. That's more than double of any other Asian country.

The more time I spend here the more bearish I'm becoming on the place. It has huge structural problems that are just so big they seem nearly impossible to overcome. Here's some highlights:

- highest power rates in Asia and power supply is dominated by a few families. It's mostly all imported coal too.
- 40 families control the country and the richest 2 families are Chinese!
- the infrastructure is 50 years out date and I don't see improvement happen quickly (I see private condos being built by the elite). There seems to be little direct investment back into what makes a country successful.
- local politicians have far too much control and vote buying is normal here.
- Economy is too dependent on foreign companies and economies and not diversified.
- To raise living standards wages would have to rise, but if wages rise the appeal of PI as an outsourcing hub dwindles. Catch 22.
- As some others have mentioned, and I hate to say this, the population does not have the work ethic of top tier places. That's a stereotype, and maybe it's a symptom of living in a 'hopeless' place for so long. Maybe that will improve.

Anyway, I like this place, but it has huge structural hurdles to clear before it joins more development nations.

Quote: (01-11-2014 12:59 AM)YardDog Wrote:  

Quote: (01-10-2014 06:24 PM)DVY Wrote:  

As for the 40 families claim, thats a stretch.

The more time I spend here the more bearish I'm becoming on the place. It has huge structural problems that are just so big they seem nearly impossible to overcome. Here's some highlights:

As some others have mentioned, and I hate to say this, the population does not have the work ethic of top tier places. That's a stereotype, and maybe it's a symptom of living in a 'hopeless' place for so long.

The exact same cultural limiter seemed apparent to me in Ukraine.

Vicious cycle Feedback loop of hopelessness, laziness, cynicism.

These things are subtle but I think they can be quite real. It could be centuries before they get it together.

Living in Manila... - Fox McCloud - 01-11-2014

A lot of the richer familes I have come in contact with on the Luzon island live in subdivisions of laguna, just south of the the fort. I have found that rich filipinas don't have much problem with foreigners, as most rich filipino families are either half american, or half chinese. I'm friends with a few richer families (maybe not exactly millionaires, but they're up there) and the younger ones seem to like haze/hyve for clubbing.

Your best bet, much like most scenarios regarding the upper class is to build a strong social circle, go to the right college parties. Also the beach areas with no public beach or hotels are a good area, I can't remember the name, I'll add a post with the correct locations soon.

As for the laziness, one can only imagine what your work ethic would look like if your job was to open a door 14 hours a day for 400 peso a day.

Living in Manila... - YardDog - 01-11-2014

Iknowexactly and FM, you guys are both exactly right.

Lack of opportunity dulls the ambition and creates a vicious cycle.

I will say that my employees work very hard. As do the contractors and other local techies I mingle with. But they all have hope and believe if they work hard something better will probably come of it. Unfortunately many here don't have that feeling or opportunity.

Quote: (01-11-2014 01:30 AM)YardDog Wrote:  

Iknowexactly and FM, you guys are both exactly right.

Lack of opportunity dulls the ambition and creates a vicious cycle.

I will say that my employees work very hard. As do the contractors and other local techies I mingle with. But they all have hope and believe if they work hard something better will probably come of it. Unfortunately many here don't have that feeling or opportunity.

I speculate there's a tipping point effect to income levels: if you make enough so you can save a significant amount, or you WILL be able to in a reasonable amount of time save a significant amount, you will tend to work harder.

The Catch-22 is , you need to be in a fairly well-developed economy for that to happen. Philippine wages may too low for the working class guy ( 400 door openings a day) referred to above to have a lot of aspiration.

Living in Manila... - neelsingh_27 - 01-11-2014

This thread is interesting. I didn't know these rich Filipino girls are so "unattainable". Weird, there were so many of these SEA rich kids on campus, they all seemed nice. One my exes is Chinese Filipino, her parents are probably not billionaires but at least hundred-millionaires. When I went out with her and her Filipino crew in HK, it was pretty chill -- couple of them had foreign boyfriends they had met studying abroad.

I'll probably hit her up next month when I move to Singapore. Feedback on this board seems to be that I should play up the "elite" education / Ivy League card in this region. Should be interesting.

Living in Manila... - Scott Free - 01-11-2014

Quote: (01-11-2014 12:52 AM)iknowexactly Wrote:  

Thanks for the encouragement.... paycheck comes in a few days... Japan Air Lines seems to have good prices... I'm seeing RT prices of $1100 right from nearby Sacramento Airport....I mouse closer and closer to the "Purchase" button.

ETA Mid Feb. Only two weeks for first trip. I had a Filipina girlfriend before and she was one of the nicest, funniest, and most loyal ever. I think a big underlying factor may be humility there. I speculate the idea you're a superstar seems pretty unusual there.

IKE,

I saw round trip flights from SFO to Manila for $800+ here only yesterday, but they must have sold out fast since it doesn't come up anymore. It might be worth it to you to keep an eye on it if you don't mind the drive. Typically, I just take the Philippine Airlines Flight from San Fran... it costs a bit more, but it's direct and I've had Narita connecting flight horror stories.

And yes, humility is weighed heavily over there. Being arrogant ("mayabang") or excessive pride ("yabang") is culturally and egregiously looked down upon. Nice guy game will get you further than C&F game, at least for regular Filipinas. This is evident in a popular phrase "Maginoo, pero medyo bastos." which interprets into "[He's a] gentleman, but is a little dirty/naughty."

Quote: (01-11-2014 11:24 AM)neelsingh_27 Wrote:  

This thread is interesting. I didn't know these rich Filipino girls are so "unattainable". Weird, there were so many of these SEA rich kids on campus, they all seemed nice. One my exes is Chinese Filipino, her parents are probably not billionaires but at least hundred-millionaires. When I went out with her and her Filipino crew in HK, it was pretty chill -- couple of them had foreign boyfriends they had met studying abroad.

I'll probably hit her up next month when I move to Singapore. Feedback on this board seems to be that I should play up the "elite" education / Ivy League card in this region. Should be interesting.

YES. Play that card and play it well. Generally speaking, the rich Filipina girl is constantly qualifying potential matches through her parent's eyes. "Will Daddy like him?" Understanding that 'Respect for Elders' is something the Filipinos value highly will go a long way to that end. I've met only a couple of rebellious Pinays in my entire life. One of them went to UC San Fran...

The best way to break into a Rich Family's circle is to make them believe that you will be a valuable asset, regardless of your actual intentions.

Living in Manila... - samsamsam - 01-11-2014

Awesome, can't wait to hear about your trip. Setting up a blog for it? Or posting here? Another 10 to 20K, sounds like you are gonna be gone for a while!

Living in Manila... - JayJuanGee - 01-11-2014

Quote: (01-11-2014 03:44 PM)samsamsam Wrote:  

Awesome, can't wait to hear about your trip. Setting up a blog for it? Or posting here? Another 10 to 20K, sounds like you are gonna be gone for a while!

I believe that IKE and I are in similar travel planning situations - though likely with a few variations. I am getting close – but maybe IKE will beat me to it… at least the first trip to SEA?

I am also planning and arranging for long-term travel that starts out in the Phils, and will likely include other SEA locations. I had been planning to begin my travels in February; however, because of getting personal/business affairs in order, I have NOT booked my ticket yet.
Currently, I am thinking that I may have to put off my travel for a few months b/c it is taking me longer than expected to get all of my affairs in order - in order that I would be able to travel with ease and NOT to be preoccupied with my USA connections.

Actually, I believe that I have enough capital in place to be able to travel outside of the USA for the long term; however, my money stream is NOT quite sufficiently passive and secured. Accordingly, I have some business affairs in the USA that are NOT passive and NOT very liquid and I will likely need to continue to count on the continued cooperation of another person to keep theses affairs in order, while I travel. My plan is that I would be able to maintain my business affairs while mobile. In that regard, once I begin these travels, I expect that I would be returning to the US about twice a year (hopefully, for short periods of less than a month each).

Living in Manila... - Teddykgb - 01-12-2014

What kind of clothing are you guys wearing in Manila?

When I went to Thailand I just wore my typical board shorts and button up short sleeves but was thinking up stepping up my traveling wardrobe as well.

Is it even needed to dress up nicer as a white american male in the phils or will I be fine if I just roll up in my board shorts and a button up short sleeve?

Living in Manila... - WanderingSoul - 01-12-2014

Sure thats fine, if you never plan to leave the beach, or fuck decent quality girls.

Living in Manila... - Teddykgb - 01-12-2014

Quote: (01-12-2014 11:03 PM)RioNomad Wrote:  

Sure thats fine, if you never plan to leave the beach, or fuck decent quality girls.

Well I like wearing jeans, henleys and boots but I feel like that will be way too hot for Feb/March in Manila.

Living in Manila... - DirectDanger - 01-12-2014

@murrb
I do not even own a pair of shorts that I wear around the city.

I have board shorts that I wear to the pool and athletic shorts to the gym. I wear jeans everyday when I am doing stuff around the city.

If you are in Manila don't wear shorts. If you are on the Islands it's a different story.

Living in Manila... - WanderingSoul - 01-13-2014

Quote: (01-12-2014 11:21 PM)murrb Wrote:  

Quote: (01-12-2014 11:03 PM)RioNomad Wrote:  

Well I like wearing jeans, henleys and boots but I feel like that will be way too hot for Feb/March in Manila.

That's a much better look. I have two pairs of above the knee, chino shorts I wear during the day when it's really hot, or back and forth from the gym, but I'd never wear them out at night, and definitely not board shorts.

If you plan to do any day game, don't wear shorts for sure.

Living in Manila... - samsamsam - 01-13-2014

Quote: (01-11-2014 07:31 PM)JayJuanGee Wrote:  

Quote: (01-11-2014 03:44 PM)samsamsam Wrote:  

I believe that IKE and I are in similar travel planning situations - though likely with a few variations. I am getting close – but maybe IKE will beat me to it… at least the first trip to SEA?

I am also planning and arranging for long-term travel that starts out in the Phils, and will likely include other SEA locations. I had been planning to begin my travels in February; however, because of getting personal/business affairs in order, I have NOT booked my ticket yet.
Currently, I am thinking that I may have to put off my travel for a few months b/c it is taking me longer than expected to get all of my affairs in order - in order that I would be able to travel with ease and NOT to be preoccupied with my USA connections.

Actually, I believe that I have enough capital in place to be able to travel outside of the USA for the long term; however, my money stream is NOT quite sufficiently passive and secured. Accordingly, I have some business affairs in the USA that are NOT passive and NOT very liquid and I will likely need to continue to count on the continued cooperation of another person to keep theses affairs in order, while I travel. My plan is that I would be able to maintain my business affairs while mobile. In that regard, once I begin these travels, I expect that I would be returning to the US about twice a year (hopefully, for short periods of less than a month each).

Good luck bro! Excited for all those who are planning their overseas trips.

Living in Manila... - Capitán Peligroso - 01-13-2014

This is a great thread guys. Like the respectful, informative discussion and debate. Kudos, and carry on...

Living in Manila... - Scott Free - 01-14-2014

Quote: (01-12-2014 10:58 PM)murrb Wrote:  

What kind of clothing are you guys wearing in Manila?

When I went to Thailand I just wore my typical board shorts and button up short sleeves but was thinking up stepping up my traveling wardrobe as well.

Is it even needed to dress up nicer as a white american male in the phils or will I be fine if I just roll up in my board shorts and a button up short sleeve?

I'd pack a couple of nice 'gaming outfits' (a suit if you can manage it and a hip, casual get-up) you'll also want some basket ball shorts (this just reminded me of a great book... Anyone ever read Pacific Rims?) a pair of swimming shorts and some cargo shorts. Some jeans if you don't already have one included in your outfit. Anything else and you can probably buy over there cheap.

Quote: (01-13-2014 01:43 AM)Capitán Peligroso Wrote:  

This is a great thread guys. Like the respectful, informative discussion and debate. Kudos, and carry on...

Thanks, this also reminded me of what one of my frat brothers said. He was older, a senior while I was a freshman. He was the guy who introduced me to game and gave me the choice of taking the red pill. He preached that a lot of men fail to get the girl, because other men constantly sabotage his efforts. This is evident almost everywhere. Especially on TV, one of the biggest platforms for maintaining betas. That the reason our Fraternity succeeds in getting the girl, is because we help each other. We follow our code and no one steps out of line. Man's ability to adhere to a code is the building blocks of civilization itself!

The terms he used are different from our jargon today... but the meaning is essentially the same. We may all be random strangers on these forums, but what links us is how we think... what we call the red pill. How we can adhere to an unwritten code. And man's propensity for organization and brotherhood. It's a mammoth of a task on its own to get the girl, and the way men took down mammoths back thousands of years ago was to band together. It's in our genes.

To you guys in the Philippines, Mabuhay kayo mga kapatid! Kantutin nyo silang lahat!

Living in Manila... - DirectDanger - 01-14-2014

What has this country done to my reality?

24 year old cutie wants to meet up.
I have to sit there for a few minutes and think
hmmmm......

Do I really want to hang out with a girl that old?

Living in Manila... - WanderingSoul - 01-14-2014

Quote: (01-14-2014 05:16 AM)DirectDanger Wrote:  

hmmmm......

Yup hah. Had a girl hit me up at around midnight one night, who I hadn't banged yet.

"Please, come over. I'll do anything you want."
"Anything?...."
"Yes, anything. Just come over."
"Sorry...I'm already in bed, watching The Wire."

Living in Manila... - Atlantic - 01-14-2014

Great thread guys. I think I might make a trip later this year.

Don't want to derail this thread but have any of ye checked out the local surf conditions?

I know its mostly classic typhoon swells and is flat from May till September but the rest of the year should be good.

Living in Manila... - Paul B - 01-14-2014

Not sure if anyone cares, but Social Hygiene Clinics (run by the government) offer FREE rapid HIV testing to anyone who walks in, local or foreigner.

I stopped by the one in Makati (New City Hall building, 7th floor, open from 8-10am and 1-3pm) earlier today after paying my taxes. Really simple process — just had to fill out a form and get blood drawn — and 10 minutes later they gave me a slip of paper that said NONREACTIVE.

Highly recommended getting regular checkups here, especially if you're slutting it up like most RVFers seem to be doing.

Living in Manila... - Scott Free - 01-14-2014

Quote: (01-14-2014 05:16 AM)DirectDanger Wrote:  

hmmmm......

DD, you already know this... Younger women offer better bodies, more insatiable sex drive, obedience, and are less likely to have STDs. According to evolutionary psychology, you owe it to your genes to do so! [Image: biggrin.gif]

Living in Manila... - samsamsam - 01-14-2014

Quote: (01-13-2014 01:43 AM)Capitán Peligroso Wrote:  

WTF? Someone do something to derail the thread. It has gotten to 13 pages without an argument or troller. Maybe I should put a fat chick feminist gif in here [Image: biggrin.gif]

Living in Manila... - YardDog - 01-15-2014

Quote: (01-14-2014 08:51 AM)Irishman Wrote:  

Great thread guys. I think I might make a trip later this year.

Don't want to derail this thread but have any of ye checked out the local surf conditions?

I know its mostly classic typhoon swells and is flat from May till September but the rest of the year should be good.

Yes, PI has epic surf when it's on. The thing is it's not as consistent as say a Central Mex or Central America. Ideal seasons are short.

PM me for details as I've taken a couple trips here so far. I absolutely scored back in Oct in Siargao. That place is epic when it's on. Heavy reefs and hollow waves all up and down the coast of the island. Got my ass handed to me, in a good way. lol.

But the season for ideal winds plus swell is short in Siargao. Right now it has swell, but bad wind/weather for instance. Still some windows to be had but you could also go there and get skunked and sit in rain for 2 weeks.

I also did some surfing in West Coast Luzon but it wasn't anything compared to the Pacific Islands. Samar also has epic surf in season but a number of the surf towns there were wiped out from Yolanda. Amazingly Siargao came out unscathed. East coast Luzon is supposed to be pretty good too.

Best season for Pacific surfing is Mid August to Dec for weather, but has swell until Mar (but bad weather dec-mar). Summer is flat over there. West coasts get nov-apr north swells but it's weaker.

Search for Philippine surfing and you'll find sites with lots of details. Yeoooow..hahaha