Roosh V Forum
Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! (/thread-9826.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Bad Hussar - 04-24-2012

Quote: (04-23-2012 09:05 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

Hey man, it's great to see another guy here who works there. Great advice on joining a union first...but for someone fresh in the game, how would one go about that? Would you suggest to go straight to their head office and ask to be registered even without being part of their trade at the time but looking to get into it? Can you shed some lights into that?

Scotian,
Thanks for posting pics of your room at the camp, it really gives a good idea of what to expect.

Has anyone else from here made the move to AB or is about to make it in the nexg 1-3 months? I'm ready to pull the trigger and go soon...

Am very seriously considering it. I realy like the idea of working hard (12 hr shifts, 7 days a week) and playing harder (long stretches of time off to travel and have a blast between rotations).

It seems that I have some skills that may be usefull in the logistics and contract admin fields. Problem is that I'm on the other side of the world, literally, right now. Don't want to give up my gig here without having arranged employment there first.

Obviously makes it a bit difficult for an employer if you are not only not in-province, but not in-hemisphere. But I'll apply and see what happens. I'm guessing oil and gas companies are more used to applications from abroad than most typical Canadian companies. I am Cananadian (Molson Canadian), so at least there are no work permit issues, but it must still be difficult for employers to make decisions on someone half the world away.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - masculineffort - 04-24-2012

Thank you so much for the information buddy. I am an electrical Engineer by profession. I have recently been nominated by the Great state of Alberta for Canadian Permanent residence. If all goes right, I should have my Canadian permanent residence by next year. Look forward to working in the Sands. My plan is to work six months and make some money while I travel the other six sexing it up with the honeys. In the meanwhile I better hit the gym and the road and build some muscles. Or else if the miner boys and tradies see my scrawny frame, they is gonna make me their bitch

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 04-24-2012

Quote: (04-24-2012 09:01 AM)Bad Hussar Wrote:  

Quote: (04-23-2012 09:05 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

Hey man, it's great to see another guy here who works there. Great advice on joining a union first...but for someone fresh in the game, how would one go about that? Would you suggest to go straight to their head office and ask to be registered even without being part of their trade at the time but looking to get into it? Can you shed some lights into that?

Scotian,
Thanks for posting pics of your room at the camp, it really gives a good idea of what to expect.

Has anyone else from here made the move to AB or is about to make it in the nexg 1-3 months? I'm ready to pull the trigger and go soon...

Am very seriously considering it. I realy like the idea of working hard (12 hr shifts, 7 days a week) and playing harder (long stretches of time off to travel and have a blast between rotations).

It seems that I have some skills that may be usefull in the logistics and contract admin fields. Problem is that I'm on the other side of the world, literally, right now. Don't want to give up my gig here without having arranged employment there first.

Obviously makes it a bit difficult for an employer if you are not only not in-province, but not in-hemisphere. But I'll apply and see what happens. I'm guessing oil and gas companies are more used to applications from abroad than most typical Canadian companies. I am Cananadian (Molson Canadian), so at least there are no work permit issues, but it must still be difficult for employers to make decisions on someone half the world away.

No rush man, the oil sands are should be booming strong for the next few years anyway, unless of course the price of oil tanks, which I don't think will happen, or "alternative energy" options replace the need for oil (ya right!). Take your time and enjoy your travels because working in this place sucks massive balls compared to travelling the world.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 04-24-2012

Quote: (04-24-2012 12:27 PM)masculineffort Wrote:  

Thank you so much for the information buddy. I am an electrical Engineer by profession. I have recently been nominated by the Great state of Alberta for Canadian Permanent residence. If all goes right, I should have my Canadian permanent residence by next year. Look forward to working in the Sands. My plan is to work six months and make some money while I travel the other six sexing it up with the honeys. In the meanwhile I better hit the gym and the road and build some muscles. Or else if the miner boys and tradies see my scrawny frame, they is gonna make me their bitch

Cool man keep us posted on how it goes, whats you ETA in Alberta?

And yes you may want to beef up a bit before going to a camp job, wouldn't want you to get done in by the ether bunny lol, just kidding, these job sites are run like prisons, security everywhere and violence and harassment isn't tolerated.

So I'm working on this dirty ol' pipeline job here in the middle of the bush, in an area with the highest concentration of black bears in the world. Its all good, we have bear spray but I don't want to have to use it, Natural Resources killed over 400 of those poor bastards last year alone, lots of coyotes running around too. Its good to be outside though in the middle of nowhere instead of crawling around pipe racks and vessels in a big stinky upgrader or refinery, but pipeline work is so much harder, you never stop moving and there's always work to do. Just one thing to consider if you move out here because not all oil jobs are on a rig, you have refinery, pipeline, maintenance, new construction, fabrication shops in town, etc.

Anyway, so I'm working with my crew (3 of us, one journeyman, 2 apprentices) and this guy comes ripping down the dirt road on a 4-wheeler and I ask "who's that guy", they tell me he's the welding supervisor and all he does is ride around the pipeline construction site all day yelling at welders. They then inform me that the company gives him $125/day to use his personal ATV on site and they also give him $200/day to use his personal truck, a big late model Dodge with lots of after market upgrades on it. Of course, when they go on days, he goes home in his truck and brings his 4-wheeler with him. Pretty sweet gig I'd say, plus the guy probably makes about $60/hour, he's making tons of cash.

So there's another good job guys: welding supervisor- most of these guys are ex-welders who got tired of burning rod and got into management, but lots of the younger guys I meet who do it took a 2 year college diploma in "welding engineering technology", like this one: http://sait.ca/cometosait/academic/diplomas/awet.shtml

Another little story to show you how fucked some guys who work here are, this security guard told us that a guy got hammered drunk in the camp lounge the other night, went back to his room, then got up later, walked down the hallway and took a big piss right on the floor! He then realized he was locked out of his camp room so he grabbed a towel out of the wash room (maybe he should have pissed there too?) and walked down to security to ask to be let back in. Of course they have the entire episode on CCTV, he was sent home the next day.

This is the type of idiot that work here (a very small minority) and that you'll run into. Also, this welder was putting the dates of his welds on the pipe with a marker and he was spelling April, "Apirl", he did it multiple times. So this guy spells at about a grade two level, but I guarantee he makes a quarter mil a year, only in the Oil sands!

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Maverick - 04-24-2012

Can't thank you enough for the information Scotia - I'm expecting to be made redundant in my boring 9-5 desk job (accounts) in the UK anytime soon. The chance to earn this kinda money while I'm still young is one I can't pass..

I've applied for 10-15 jobs based on the links you've posted on the first page that I would have a hope in hell of being considered for. I've got no formal qualifications in any kind of trade and would need some assistance in the migration over to Canada (bearing in mind I'm assuming the VISA situation is straightforward); do you think I've got much chance in being offered anything? I'm assuming that CEDA would be my best bet. Secondly, with two years accounting experience and half a degree do you think I'm likely to be offered anything above shovelling shit?

Appreciate that you may not be able to answer with any type of certainty, but anything to shed a bit more light would be fantastic. Once again, thanks for sharing..

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 04-25-2012

Quote: (04-24-2012 04:27 PM)Maverick Wrote:  

Can't thank you enough for the information Scotia - I'm expecting to be made redundant in my boring 9-5 desk job (accounts) in the UK anytime soon. The chance to earn this kinda money while I'm still young is one I can't pass..

I've applied for 10-15 jobs based on the links you've posted on the first page that I would have a hope in hell of being considered for. I've got no formal qualifications in any kind of trade and would need some assistance in the migration over to Canada (bearing in mind I'm assuming the VISA situation is straightforward); do you think I've got much chance in being offered anything? I'm assuming that CEDA would be my best bet. Secondly, with two years accounting experience and half a degree do you think I'm likely to be offered anything above shovelling shit?

Appreciate that you may not be able to answer with any type of certainty, but anything to shed a bit more light would be fantastic. Once again, thanks for sharing..

Best bet is to get over here with a few quid in your pocket and see what happens, I meet people from the UK over here all the time, they like it and seem to do well. If you start out as some kind of labourer, yes you may end up shoveling shit, but you will move up fast if the company sees that you're ambitious. Your education may come into play as you advance, but you don't need a masters degree to hand a welder his next rod.

Guys, don't expect too many responses if you're applying from overseas, even out of province, unless you are skilled, companies aren't going to help you out much unless you're in their office, CV in hand.

The site I'm currently on has the following contractors:

-Strike Energy Services: http://www.strikeenergy.com
-Bird construction: http://www.bird.ca/
-Nabors drilling
-Precision Drilling
-Flint Energy: http://www.flintenergy.com/
-Garda Security

Guys, its busy here now just like I said it was going to be when I started this thread a few months ago and will likely remain so for awhile. However, this is a boom and bust place (Alberta), you ride the wave while its good, make and save as much money as you can, because they usually come and go. I was lucky enough to move out here half way through the last boom (it lasted from around 2004-2008), it will get even busier here as more projects are ramping up and coming on-line.

If you're interested, the next 3-5 years will likely be very busy, so get a plan together, save up some money and get your asses out to Alberta while the going is good!

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - DerMul - 04-26-2012

Hi scotian,

How's life back at work? I asked you a few questions about electricians up in fort mc before. Now that you're back up there how does the situation for sparks look? I'll be over in Calgary in June and then I'll be applying to sit the red seal construction exam before looking for a job in fort mc. There doesn't seem to be a lot on the websites I've been checking.
Thanks for any info you can provide.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - ?Kick - 04-26-2012

Sup guys,
Just wanted to say that I made the move out to Edmonton. Did a whole bunch of research and took a lot of advice from Scotian and it has paid off!

I got a gig working a shutdown site. plenty of hours and plenty of perks. Overtime + Hotel Accommodations + 50 bucks a day for food.

Like Scotian has said, the best chance of being picked up is to get you asses over here! A lot of companies have walk in interviews available (Savanna Drilling for example, savannacareers @ savannaenergy .com, located at 9753 51st Ave.).

I was also able to get a gig with United Safety, but I turned it down. Some other companies that are hiring are Naibors, Ensign Drilling, AFCN, Aramark and Paladin Security. I also met a boilermaker here and he said that the union is looking for people. just show up to the office (International Brotherhood of Boilermakers Lodge 146), ask about their pre-apprenticeship program and you can pretty much get started asap. Thats what I've been told anyway.

Another option, if you need cash right away, is to do some landscaping work. Weedman pays about 18/hr without any experience. Another landscaping company that a friend of mine recommended is Canadian Property Stars. Apparently, they pay up to 400 per day and you can make your own hours/work 7 days a week. If you wanted.

I have absolutely no regrets making the move to Edmonton. And hopefully in a year or two, I can make some serious bank!

Best of luck!

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - metalhaze - 04-27-2012

Scotian, I know I've asked you the question before but what are your best tips for someone with a master degree in business who wants to make lots of cash fast in Alberta without getting himself killed (i.e. highly dangerous job) or having to put in years to learn a trade (ex. welder) but I have no qualms about working on camp (the pics you posted where highly appreciated, it doesn't look that bad as people might think).
how much can one expect?
Im in my late 20s, I make in the mid 50s in Quebec as a business analyst so it's sweet but I work long hours with taxes being highest here...the more I read this thread the more I think about making a move!

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 04-27-2012

Quote: (04-26-2012 07:46 PM)DerMul Wrote:  

Hi scotian,

How's life back at work? I asked you a few questions about electricians up in fort mc before. Now that you're back up there how does the situation for sparks look? I'll be over in Calgary in June and then I'll be applying to sit the red seal construction exam before looking for a job in fort mc. There doesn't seem to be a lot on the websites I've been checking.
Thanks for any info you can provide.

Should be a steady amount of work for electricians, the electrical company on the site I"m currently at is Pyramid, they are big in western Canada and offer fly-in/out positions, more info here: http://www.pyramidcorporation.com/

my electricians buddy's from home work for JV Driver, 21/7 rotation, flights paid anywhere in Canada: http://www.jvdriver.com

Also check out Kiewit, PCL, Chemco, DCM group and Ledcor. You can contact the IBEW local 424 too and ask if they're hiring.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 04-27-2012

Quote: (04-27-2012 07:03 AM)metalhaze Wrote:  

Scotian, I know I've asked you the question before but what are your best tips for someone with a master degree in business who wants to make lots of cash fast in Alberta without getting himself killed (i.e. highly dangerous job) or having to put in years to learn a trade (ex. welder) but I have no qualms about working on camp (the pics you posted where highly appreciated, it doesn't look that bad as people might think).
how much can one expect?
Im in my late 20s, I make in the mid 50s in Quebec as a business analyst so it's sweet but I work long hours with taxes being highest here...the more I read this thread the more I think about making a move!

Well if you don't want to get into a skilled trade, then you could go labourer and still make decent money, although you may get bored of working with ex-cons and changing trash cans all day.

A better idea would be to get on with a Quebec based company with operations in Fort Mac, such as DCM Group or SNC Lavalin, that way once you get sick of Fort Mac (trust me, you will), you can move home. There`s quite a few engineering firms with ops in every province. Of course, you`d want to put your education to use and not have to do grunt work out in -40 or such as I`m doing now, with mud up to my knees!

Office guys can make big money too and do the fly-in/out thing, there`s positions like scheduler/planner, cost estimator, project management, purchasing, logistics, etc.

Unskilled labour starts at around $20/hour, so each week would look like this: M-F, $20x8=160 plus $30x4=120, your gross daily would be $280 then on Saturday and Sunday you get 1.5X your base rat all day so $30x12=$360, so $280x5=1400 plus $360x2=720, this is a gross weekly income of $2120, minus taxes.

That`s the lowest paid unskilled non-union labour(union guys like me get double time after 10 hours and double all weekends).

I would try to get on a site such as CNRL Horizon (run by French men outta QC) or any other one that does fly-in/out and get an office job and make twice (or more!) as much as the above rate.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - metalhaze - 04-27-2012

thanks for the reply scotian! very informative. I will check into the québecois firms. Actually there is the North Plan (Plan nord) now in québec, where the government wants to develop the natural resources of northern qc.

I love Montreal but what will kill me here is the taxes. If I start making more than 80k I will be taxed 50% on my income for sure...
So maybe moving to Calgary or deadmonton might be an option.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Vacancier Permanent - 04-28-2012

[/align]This is awesome man! Way to go!
Did you get there without any prior experience in the field or with experience? Did you take any pre-employment course or certificate or you just showed up? How long did it take you to get that shut down gig? Also, how would one get into a union if one is just started out with no experience or at most, just a certificate?

Really appreciate you guys posting updates on this. I will be joining you guys very soon...[Image: smile.gif]

[align=left]
Quote: (04-26-2012 10:22 PM)?Kick Wrote:  

Sup guys,
Just wanted to say that I made the move out to Edmonton. Did a whole bunch of research and took a lot of advice from Scotian and it has paid off!

I got a gig working a shutdown site. plenty of hours and plenty of perks. Overtime + Hotel Accommodations + 50 bucks a day for food.

Like Scotian has said, the best chance of being picked up is to get you asses over here! A lot of companies have walk in interviews available (Savanna Drilling for example, savannacareers @ savannaenergy .com, located at 9753 51st Ave.).

I was also able to get a gig with United Safety, but I turned it down. Some other companies that are hiring are Naibors, Ensign Drilling, AFCN, Aramark and Paladin Security. I also met a boilermaker here and he said that the union is looking for people. just show up to the office (International Brotherhood of Boilermakers Lodge 146), ask about their pre-apprenticeship program and you can pretty much get started asap. Thats what I've been told anyway.

Another option, if you need cash right away, is to do some landscaping work. Weedman pays about 18/hr without any experience. Another landscaping company that a friend of mine recommended is Canadian Property Stars. Apparently, they pay up to 400 per day and you can make your own hours/work 7 days a week. If you wanted.

I have absolutely no regrets making the move to Edmonton. And hopefully in a year or two, I can make some serious bank!

Best of luck!

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Vacancier Permanent - 04-29-2012

I'm watching this video as i'm typing this, it's a great video giving a very good understanding of what's going on there in Alberta. Strongly suggest you guys to watch it too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGx5_2IYZ...re=related

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - ?Kick - 04-29-2012

Quote: (04-28-2012 01:58 AM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

Did you get there without any prior experience in the field or with experience? Did you take any pre-employment course or certificate or you just showed up? How long did it take you to get that shut down gig? Also, how would one get into a union if one is just started out with no experience or at most, just a certificate?

Really appreciate you guys posting updates on this. I will be joining you guys very soon...[Image: smile.gif]

[align=left]

Sup guys,

Best of luck!

Hey VP,
I had no experience prior to coming out here! Back home in Ontario, I worked in marketing and management. Hated it. Those gigs dont mind hiring people without experience. They are willing to train and provide accommodations (landscaping ones are the exception). I was offered those gigs the same week that I applied for them. Applied monday, was called thursday/friday sort of thing. They really are hurting for people!
As far as unions go I'm not too sure. Maybe Scotian can clarify. But I believe that if the particular trade needs people, they will take you on right away and get you started in a pre-employment program/assistant position. Otherwise, you may be put on a waiting list or you may need a certain amount of hours in the industry (as a hand or assistant) before being allowed to join.
Once winter hits and the rigs open up again, there will be a helluva lot more gigs opening up too!

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Nujabes - 04-29-2012

Kick, describe the process. You just hit up various work sites with CV in hand? Are you originally from Canada? Much respect...

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Screwston - 04-29-2012

Can someone please get info from camps and Americans up there on what an American needs to do to be able to working?

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Nujabes - 04-29-2012

If I decide to do something like this, I would be down with meeting up with someone in the States, then flying out that way... I'm in Miami. Might be easier hunting with two people...

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - raliv - 04-29-2012

I just read this link. Apparently Canada is making it okay to pay immigrant temp workers less than Canadian citizens. Thought I might pass it on. Scotian if you have thought on this, I would love to hear them.

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorial...-by-tories

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Vacancier Permanent - 04-29-2012

Raliv,
I don't see anything wrong with that. Temp immigrant workers are not as heavily taxed as us Canadian citizens, so no complaints there either.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - DjembaDjemba - 04-30-2012

Quote: (04-29-2012 02:34 PM)?Kick Wrote:  

Quote: (04-28-2012 01:58 AM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

[align=left]

Sup guys,

Best of luck!

Hey VP,
I had no experience prior to coming out here! Back home in Ontario, I worked in marketing and management. Hated it. Those gigs dont mind hiring people without experience. They are willing to train and provide accommodations (landscaping ones are the exception). I was offered those gigs the same week that I applied for them. Applied monday, was called thursday/friday sort of thing. They really are hurting for people!
As far as unions go I'm not too sure. Maybe Scotian can clarify. But I believe that if the particular trade needs people, they will take you on right away and get you started in a pre-employment program/assistant position. Otherwise, you may be put on a waiting list or you may need a certain amount of hours in the industry (as a hand or assistant) before being allowed to join.
Once winter hits and the rigs open up again, there will be a helluva lot more gigs opening up too!

Hey Kick,

When you moved to Edmonton did you have prior accommodation or did you find a hotel or a hostel?

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Roark - 05-01-2012

Quote: (04-23-2012 04:01 AM)scotian Wrote:  

Even if your quals aren't recognized, you are eligible for a youth work visa for 2 years in Canada (but hurry up because I think once you're 34 you can't do it, I posted the link on an earlier page of this thread).

Are those 2 years? The standard around the world is 1 year. Never heard of one that long.

If it was 2 years that would make things easier for my partner and I.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 05-01-2012

Quote: (05-01-2012 12:47 AM)Roark Wrote:  

Quote: (04-23-2012 04:01 AM)scotian Wrote:  

Even if your quals aren't recognized, you are eligible for a youth work visa for 2 years in Canada (but hurry up because I think once you're 34 you can't do it, I posted the link on an earlier page of this thread).

Are those 2 years? The standard around the world is 1 year. Never heard of one that long.

If it was 2 years that would make things easier for my partner and I.

check out this link for more info and to see if you qualify:

http://www.international.gc.ca/experienc...eng&view=d

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - hfx123 - 05-01-2012

hey scotian dropped you a pm